Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Washington Post posted:

Rudy Giulaiani does not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Injecting a little positivity, the kids are alright:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1031733958512455680

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

And here is a good thread on why the statue, like every other Confederate statue, is bullshit
https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1031722853710880768

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Was expecting it to morph more into direct 1984 quotes.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Nick Soapdish posted:

And here is a good thread on why the statue, like every other Confederate statue, is bullshit
https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1031722853710880768

Kinda reminds me how South Carolina didn't fly the confederate flag till the civil rights movement started up.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/cle2ric/status/1031735855315120134

:eyepop:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Saw this video in one of the Musk threads, and my mind was blown. The last time I saw a video of the tesla factory floor was in 2015 or 2016, and it showed their previous model assembly lines. There seemed to be a pretty low degree of automation and process optimization, but this was perfectly fine for a low-volume, high quality product that was meant to establish Tesla's presence.

This video, however, shows their Model 3 assembly, and I don't even need to think I need to really comment on it. Just zip through the video and ask yourself "Is this how a assembly line / factory for a standardized, high-volume product in the automotive sector should look like"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9kK0_7x08

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

EBB posted:

at least put up a couple tall apartment buildings in the bay area :saddowns:

Doesn't fix anything cause they'll just put high end units up everywhere just like they do right now Vancouver, although maybe there's less money laundering in Bay Area real estate

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Saw this video in one of the Musk threads, and my mind was blown. The last time I saw a video of the tesla factory floor was in 2015 or 2016, and it showed their previous model assembly lines. There seemed to be a pretty low degree of automation and process optimization, but this was perfectly fine for a low-volume, high quality product that was meant to establish Tesla's presence.

This video, however, shows their Model 3 assembly, and I don't even need to think I need to really comment on it. Just zip through the video and ask yourself "Is this how a assembly line / factory for a standardized, high-volume product in the automotive sector should look like"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9kK0_7x08

That place is a loving poo poo show and if I was asked to fix it I would burn it to the ground.

Holy poo poo what a disorganized mess.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

But....magnetic stripes!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i'd love to play paintball in a brutalism building.

This though, is a great idea. I've also considered repurposed parking garages

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So the Australian government is just about to implode, after a series of massive Self-Owns. Will be an entertaining week if you dabble in Auspol.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

So the Australian government is just about to implode, after a series of massive Self-Owns. Will be an entertaining week if you dabble in Auspol.

got a quick primer for those of us in less exciting parts of the world?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
is it because of racism? i bet it's because of racism

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Like "Vote of No Confidence" regular imploding or worse?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

is it because of racism? i bet it's because of racism

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Immanentized posted:

got a quick primer for those of us in less exciting parts of the world?

A literal fascist potato just tried to roll our current prime minister and has failed. He did this because our last prime minister (the one that eats raw onions) hates the current one and has been white ant-ing llhis own party like a mad man.

The potato is going to try to spill again for party leadership next week. Thanks to everyone and their dog background-ing to the media, we are literally watching one of our biggest political parties implode in real time.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Eej posted:

Doesn't fix anything cause they'll just put high end units up everywhere just like they do right now Vancouver, although maybe there's less money laundering in Bay Area real estate
Say upstart yuppies Tom, Dick, and Harry want a home in Vancouver, the Bay Area, or just about any of the dynamic metro areas across the world. Jokes on them: due to the lockin of single-family housing, the three of them are all competing for the same house. They're all rich little shits, but Dick is more willing or capable to outbid the other two and becomes the proud owner/renter of a $5,000,000, single-story 1950s ranch house a couple of miles from downtown.

Tom and Harry don't just vanish in a poof of smoke, of course, so they start looking elsewhere. Tom decides living in the city is important enough to him to mingle with the poors in historically disadvantaged neighborhoods, where he finds the number of homes just as limited as in the rich areas, but is easily able to compete against the scores of lower and middle class home-seekers, resulting in prices going up for everyone. Harry, on the other hand, decides that a 3-hour commute suits him just fine, so buys a giant house in the exurbs and contributes the the sprawl that plagues our cities.

We can and must implement renter protections and build massive new affordable housing to protect the disadvantaged from the consequences of this, but so too must we address the root of the problem by smashing the gently caress out of rich neighborhoods' ability to block any and all density near them. Worried offshore investors will inexplicably sit on vacant ultra-luxury condos and apartments rather than adjust their prices downward to get some takers? Make the city government tax the poo poo out of vacant homes and put all that money into a fund for new affordable developments and infrastructure improvements.

End rant. Sorry, I just read a Twitter thread covering a rich neighborhood making GBS threads all over a developer's proposal to build a 21-unit assisted living building near their mansions ("HOW OFTEN WILL AMBULANCES COME BLARING?"; "THEY'LL BE DEPENDENT ON MEDICARE, WON'T THEY? EWW"; and "WHERE WILL THE 78 GRAND CHILDREN PARK???") after shooting down a different multi-unit proposal for the same spot with the claim they'd prefer to see a senior living facility there. So I'm mildly incensed when I see someone attack potential solutions without offering alternatives.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Chiwie posted:

A literal fascist potato just tried to roll our current prime minister and has failed. He did this because our last prime minister (the one that eats raw onions) hates the current one and has been white ant-ing llhis own party like a mad man.

The potato is going to try to spill again for party leadership next week. Thanks to everyone and their dog background-ing to the media, we are literally watching one of our biggest political parties implode in real time.

But mostly, racism.

Should we show them the Katter clip?

Edit: Found it.

so for context - A Senator for our far right party forgot he was a dual citizen, then pretended he wasn't, then the high court told him he was, so he got kicked out, and the next guy on the ballot from his party got in.Turns out he was even worse than that guy, who was a sov cit climate denier. He immediately is found to be too racist even for them, and ends up joining the Katter party, a one man show from far north QLD. This guy then used his debut speech in the senate to go on a massive rant about muslim immigration being literally worse than famine death and pestilence, then went on to say we need a "final solution" to the problem. Yep.

Here's his party leader doing a presser in response:

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/1029593526558973953

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 21, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I know it's a deadly serious thing going on but I'm sorry the accents and the slang just make it all worth it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Speaking of racists with funny accents, apparently most of the Apartheid South African government were pedophiles who got up to things Qanon loons would find hard to believe.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If you put an "empty house tax" on top of property taxes boomers will finally eat the politicians.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Speaking of racists with funny accents, apparently most of the Apartheid South African government were pedophiles who got up to things Qanon loons would find hard to believe.

I don’t think QAnon would find anything hard to believe that supports their world view. And I’m hoping you don’t quote me and surprise me because I’m not googling South African government pedophiles.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

A quote from Julian Carr's speech at the dedication of the "Silent Sam" statue.

http://hgreen.people.ua.edu/transcription-carr-speech.html

Julian Carr posted:

I trust I may be pardoned for one allusion, howbeit it is rather personal. One hundred yards from where we stand, less than ninety days perhaps after my return from Appomattox, I horse-whipped a negro wench until her skirts hung in shreds, because upon the streets of this quiet village she had publicly insulted and maligned a Southern lady, and then rushed for protection to these University buildings where was stationed a garrison of 100 Federal soldiers. I performed the pleasing duty in the immediate presence of the entire garrison, and for thirty nights afterwards slept with a double-barrel shot gun under my head.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SimonCat posted:

A quote from Julian Carr's speech at the dedication of the "Silent Sam" statue.

http://hgreen.people.ua.edu/transcription-carr-speech.html

Ugh. The bit before it is just as bad.

quote:

The present generation, I am persuaded, scarcely takes note of what the Confederate soldier meant to the welfare of the Anglo Saxon race during the four years immediately succeeding the war, when the facts are, that their courage and steadfastness saved the very life of the Anglo Saxon race in the South – When “the bottom rail was on top” all over the Southern states, and to-day, as a consequence the purest strain of the Anglo Saxon is to be found in the 13 Southern States – Praise God.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Cugel the Clever posted:

Say upstart yuppies Tom, Dick, and Harry want a home in Vancouver, the Bay Area, or just about any of the dynamic metro areas across the world. Jokes on them: due to the lockin of single-family housing, the three of them are all competing for the same house. They're all rich little shits, but Dick is more willing or capable to outbid the other two and becomes the proud owner/renter of a $5,000,000, single-story 1950s ranch house a couple of miles from downtown.

Tom and Harry don't just vanish in a poof of smoke, of course, so they start looking elsewhere. Tom decides living in the city is important enough to him to mingle with the poors in historically disadvantaged neighborhoods, where he finds the number of homes just as limited as in the rich areas, but is easily able to compete against the scores of lower and middle class home-seekers, resulting in prices going up for everyone. Harry, on the other hand, decides that a 3-hour commute suits him just fine, so buys a giant house in the exurbs and contributes the the sprawl that plagues our cities.

We can and must implement renter protections and build massive new affordable housing to protect the disadvantaged from the consequences of this, but so too must we address the root of the problem by smashing the gently caress out of rich neighborhoods' ability to block any and all density near them. Worried offshore investors will inexplicably sit on vacant ultra-luxury condos and apartments rather than adjust their prices downward to get some takers? Make the city government tax the poo poo out of vacant homes and put all that money into a fund for new affordable developments and infrastructure improvements.

End rant. Sorry, I just read a Twitter thread covering a rich neighborhood making GBS threads all over a developer's proposal to build a 21-unit assisted living building near their mansions ("HOW OFTEN WILL AMBULANCES COME BLARING?"; "THEY'LL BE DEPENDENT ON MEDICARE, WON'T THEY? EWW"; and "WHERE WILL THE 78 GRAND CHILDREN PARK???") after shooting down a different multi-unit proposal for the same spot with the claim they'd prefer to see a senior living facility there. So I'm mildly incensed when I see someone attack potential solutions without offering alternatives.

All that and no link? For shame.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

It was hilarious when I was finishing up my paramedic clinicals how often we'd respond to something like " chest pain, patient is having severe difficulty breathing and past cardiac history..........family remembers requesting no lights or sirens when entering residential complex."

there's usually enough traffic in the residential area's that we'd forego this and blast lights and sirens to the door to find that the family members were unhappy and the patient was in bed having a massive pulmonary embolis or heart attack.

CANT DISTURB THE NEIGHBORS

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kuroyama posted:

All that and no link? For shame.
Think this is the whole thread. If not the rest is on his timeline:
https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/1031692314127880193?s=09

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cugel the Clever posted:

Think this is the whole thread. If not the rest is on his timeline:
https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/1031692314127880193?s=09

/run kill_all_boomers.exe

E: except this guy

https://twitter.com/harryslaststand/status/1031690226589212672?s=21

E2: at 95 I guess he isn’t a boomer. Generations prior to boomers are cool.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 21, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Germany needed to lose WW2 obviously.

But winning was probably one of the worst things the US could’ve done.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Don Dongington posted:

But mostly, racism.

Should we show them the Katter clip?

Edit: Found it.

so for context - A Senator for our far right party forgot he was a dual citizen, then pretended he wasn't, then the high court told him he was, so he got kicked out, and the next guy on the ballot from his party got in.Turns out he was even worse than that guy, who was a sov cit climate denier. He immediately is found to be too racist even for them, and ends up joining the Katter party, a one man show from far north QLD. This guy then used his debut speech in the senate to go on a massive rant about muslim immigration being literally worse than famine death and pestilence, then went on to say we need a "final solution" to the problem. Yep.

Here's his party leader doing a presser in response:

https://twitter.com/SBSNews/status/1029593526558973953

He looks like he's wearing a rubber mask.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

He looks like he's wearing a rubber mask.

Holy poo poo that video is amazing. The talking Freddy Krueger mask responding to a reporter mentioning his grandfather bring Lebanese with "no he's not, he's Australian, and that's racist. You should take it back and you should be ashamed"

:lol:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

EBB posted:

If you put an "empty house tax" on top of property taxes boomers will finally eat the politicians.

We're doing this in Vancouver along with some other anti laundering things so we'll see how it goes, maybe I'll be able to get a house someday before I die

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Eej posted:

We're doing this in Vancouver along with some other anti laundering things so we'll see how it goes, maybe I'll be able to get a house someday before I die

They'll need to do it in Toronto and Montreal as well to make a dent.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Vasudus posted:

To be able to reasonably afford a house in Fairfax County near a metro stop I have to DINK it up hardcore. Like uh, 250k/household to even really consider it. They just built about 60 townhouses down the road and they range from 1-1.25m a pop.

who the gently caress is buying these? My wife and I are DINKs and I make good money and she makes medium money and... we're not even close.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

who the gently caress is buying these? My wife and I are DINKs and I make good money and she makes medium money and... we're not even close.

Failsons of Saudi/Chinese billionaires.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Failsons of Saudi/Chinese billionaires.

Confirming this

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Renter protections will probably not do much for the prices at which they have to rent, unless you of course you specifically aim to reduce prices by placing restrictions on them and enforcing them. (a la a points-based system, the nicer the house, the more points, the higher the rent you can ask) The Netherlands has a system like this, and semi-government housing corps have to strictly abide by them; private businesses are free to ask whatever but as a renter you can take it into a special sort of court that determines the max price they can ask, and that's binding for the duration of the contract. It doesn't happen as much as it should, but it's there, and I've made use of it a few times and once even had my rent cut in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

FAUXTON posted:

They'll need to do it in Toronto and Montreal as well to make a dent.

It might stop all the people that live in Barrie and drive to Toronto to work every day. The 400 is a loving nightmare during rush hour. Barrie is still reasonably cheap for what you get I think. gently caress, there's people who commute to Toronto (only a few days a week tho) from where I live (Stratford) and I would blow my brains out if I did that

• Locked thread