Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I like the genre when it has one dude who like body cultivates and no one else does and his super power is just punch someone really really hard and not energy rays all over. Also weighing like 2000 pounds and in the best cases not being able to fly and having to throw things at the people riding swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
got any specific examples?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I remember Way of the Devil being sort of like that. Most people are just normal wuxia martial artists, who have to practice for 60 years to master a single technique. The MC has a cheat device that lets him learn martial arts instantly, so he stacks a bunch of body cultivation techniques on top of one another. It winds up turning him into a xenomorph. There's a good bit where he realizes he can't consummate his marriage because his bodily fluids can melt steel beams.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I am halfway through writing a xianxia world pbta hack

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It's not going to be very accurate though because while luck and cheating are very important in the system rape is not

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
cough AW sex moves cough

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Sex is like the least dramatically important thing in the genre

The replacement is "seeking death" moves, the only actual mechanism for characters to die by choosing an obligation like revenge or etc to go out in a blazing rampage over

Main characters never die just because they get their asses kicked after all they just run away or lose something or get a motivational poison or injury

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

atelier morgan posted:

It's not going to be very accurate though because while luck and cheating are very important in the system rape is not

What about thieving. If the players aren't constantly stealing from and swearing vengeance on each other you're doing it wrong

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Autonomous Monster posted:

What about thieving. If the players aren't constantly stealing from and swearing vengeance on each other you're doing it wrong

Obligations (like vengeance) are the central character mechanic like strings in monsterhearts, one of the stats explicitly covers stealing things and conning people, and the fastest way to cultivate is to wheedle poo poo out of your seniors

(the second fastest is just being stupid lucky, which has a mechanic)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, reliance sect style.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
How does combat work? Genre-accurate combat would skip rolling completely and just have both sides compare power levels and win or lose if they're even one apart.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

How does combat work? Genre-accurate combat would skip rolling completely and just have both sides compare power levels and win or lose if they're even one apart.

Literally every single move can be used as combat move

You want to best a dude with your ability to make pills? loving of course you can

Its pbta so only the player rolls

Folks in different levels either are so little of a threat you don't even roll or being able to beat them is a matter of narrative from having collected the appropriate foozles to stand on their level for a time

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If players can somehow come up with a more ridiculous fight than meng haos days long battle of who can memorize the most plants they are welcome to try

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mahouka has finally broken me. i can't take any more and won't continue. in volume 19, tatsuya is hunting a nefarious chinaman like usual. tatsuya is omniscient (ugh), but because his omniscience is mostly dedicated to watching his creepy loving sister 24/7 he can't find the chinese guy. the solution he devised required physically being in a room with his sister so he could turn off his disturbing imouto voyeur power. except, just being in a room together wasn't unnerving enough. no, they both had to strip down to their skivvies and embrace in a totally non-sexual way (wink, wink). mahouka was always gross, but up til now it was to a degree i found hilarious. but even i have my limits, and now i've reached them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

mahouka has finally broken me. i can't take any more and won't continue. in volume 19, tatsuya is hunting a nefarious chinaman like usual. tatsuya is omniscient (ugh), but because his omniscience is mostly dedicated to watching his creepy loving sister 24/7 he can't find the chinese guy. the solution he devised required physically being in a room with his sister so he could turn off his disturbing imouto voyeur power. except, just being in a room together wasn't unnerving enough. no, they both had to strip down to their skivvies and embrace in a totally non-sexual way (wink, wink). mahouka was always gross, but up til now it was to a degree i found hilarious. but even i have my limits, and now i've reached them.

What was the justification for having to strip down?

I forget, does Tatsuya have any harem in Mahouka, or is it just his sister? Mahouka always gave me a "incest as main romance" vibe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

What was the justification for having to strip down?

I forget, does Tatsuya have any harem in Mahouka, or is it just his sister? Mahouka always gave me a "incest as main romance" vibe.

if there was a reason for them to be in their underwear, it didn't make it through the low quality translation.

tons of girls are inexplicably in love with the genocidal racist robot man, naturally. tatsuya's explicitly not romantically interested in his sister, but romantic interest in her brother is her defining trait. since mahouka is super hosed up, an incestuous yandere is supposed to be the perfect woman because she's an incestuous yandere, not in spite of it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for this beautiful entry in the God drat Candy Catalog for Wayward Web Novels

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Seems like Qidian have stopped doing free updates for their premium novels. Fair thee well, Cultivation Chat Group, we shall not meet again.

Oh, and I forgot to say when it came up on the last page: the Tsuyokute New Saga manga is alright. I'm fond of the Peggy Sue plot for whatever reason and that one's a passable stab at it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Oh is that what happened to release that witch? Well, I guess that's that it then. I certainly don't care about it enough to pay monthly for years until it's done.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gently caress qidian. https://www.reddit.com/r/QidianUnderground/

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Oh, and I forgot to say when it came up on the last page: the Tsuyokute New Saga manga is alright. I'm fond of the Peggy Sue plot for whatever reason and that one's a passable stab at it.
Yea haven't really come across a bad one yet. TNS has a poor scan quality sometimes but I like it anyhow.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Desuwa posted:

Oh is that what happened to release that witch? Well, I guess that's that it then. I certainly don't care about it enough to pay monthly for years until it's done.

But you're missing out on verb conjugation errors and inventive new synonyms that are almost, but not quite, actual English words!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

I'm so loving confused right now.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
There are so many things I want to say, so many things going wrong in a single moment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

see thread title

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
It is interesting that they've managed to tap into a market of people willing to pony up more $ than books for poo poo. The only redeeming feature of this stuff is that it is (was) free.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Web Novel megathread: The only redeeming feature of this stuff is that it is (was) free

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

I knew something like this would exist somewhere but I didn't want to go looking for it so I could spend less time reading trash. Now you've taken away that excuse.

You monster.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/QidianUnderground/comments/96fly9/generating_epub/

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

lurksion posted:

It is interesting that they've managed to tap into a market of people willing to pony up more $ than books for poo poo. The only redeeming feature of this stuff is that it is (was) free.

Yeah I got kind of into Release that Witch and looked at quidian's payment model and noped the gently caress out. It boggles my mind that people are actually willing to pay many many times what you would pay for a book for... I don't want to say garbage but the stuff isn't good. Everything on their site is all really obviously padded to hell and serialized forever to milk idiots. Serializations with thousands of chapters and a payment model that comes out to like a dollar for five chapters? It doesn't take a math genius to see that that get real expensive, real quick. And all for, um, "not great" translations.

You would think that there would be no way translated web novels would be worth that much money to anyone but I guess if the prices are set that way there must be some people willing to pay.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The interesting thing is that Qidian keep changing the rules, which suggests they're not happy with how much money they're making off of this. Either they're somehow having trouble turning a profit, when they already own tonnes of content from their other, presumably self-sufficient platform and then pay fuckall for no-effort translations of, or their profit expectations are absurd.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

sunken fleet posted:

Yeah I got kind of into Release that Witch and looked at quidian's payment model and noped the gently caress out. It boggles my mind that people are actually willing to pay many many times what you would pay for a book for... I don't want to say garbage but the stuff isn't good. Everything on their site is all really obviously padded to hell and serialized forever to milk idiots. Serializations with thousands of chapters and a payment model that comes out to like a dollar for five chapters? It doesn't take a math genius to see that that get real expensive, real quick. And all for, um, "not great" translations.

You would think that there would be no way translated web novels would be worth that much money to anyone but I guess if the prices are set that way there must be some people willing to pay.

Yeah I bought some stones when they were like 1/3 the price, but it must of been some special offer or something. All I know is I got 1500 for $10 which was like 15 chapters a $, which on top of daily logins and other nonsense lasted me a long while. I kinda wish it stayed like that.

Seems like Qidian have stopped doing free updates for their premium novels. Fair thee well, Cultivation Chat Group, we shall not meet again.

RIP...I guess I'll still be slowly reading it with my extra free stones.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The invite seems to have expired if that's what you linked that for.

EDIT: So is the one in the sidebar though. Weird.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 21, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sindai posted:

The invite seems to have expired if that's what you linked that for.

EDIT: So is the one in the sidebar though. Weird.

Eh, you'll figure it out.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 23, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Most people just make a new alt account for each premium story that they follow, and use the free spirit stones.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tobermory posted:

I remember Way of the Devil being sort of like that. Most people are just normal wuxia martial artists, who have to practice for 60 years to master a single technique. The MC has a cheat device that lets him learn martial arts instantly, so he stacks a bunch of body cultivation techniques on top of one another. It winds up turning him into a xenomorph. There's a good bit where he realizes he can't consummate his marriage because his bodily fluids can melt steel beams.

thanks for the recommendation. this is like if chad from bleach fought ghosts by getting increasingly swole instead of learning lovely ghost magic. basically, there are a bunch of spooky ghosts running around, and they can only be countered by big families with hereditary ghost-fighting powers. no one ever realized they could be beaten via brute force because the degree of brute force the mc attains isn't humanly possible.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

got any specific examples?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
ZTJ: And I thought they smelled bad... on the outside!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So uh I don't know if anyone here is actually in to isekai, but I just started Ni no Kuni II and, uh, well, you play a US president who gets isekai'd into a Ghibli movie after someone drops an ICBM on his head.

I figure that's the best take on the genre there's ever going to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
You have to also wonder if the changes they keep doing at webnovel.com are to see how much different it is from the revenue brought in by Gravitytales because they are both owned by the same parent company. So its not directly by QI its just by the people who own QI.