Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Holy poo poo.... piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Maybe we could have some detailed accounts of a few nice non-submissive cocksuckings? You know, for balance and to honor the sanctity of discourse and all that.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Lol this isn’t getting ‘cannibalized by the left’ it is lovely language policing by the idpolitics brigade. I’m pretty sure (his avatar has changed) splitsoul is on the left. And he is right in this instance.

Nothing offensive towards homosexual people was said.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Biomute posted:

Maybe we could have some detailed accounts of a few nice non-submissive cocksuckings? You know, for balance and to honor the sanctity of discourse and all that.

should've done this on page 69 imo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i've never personally seen fellatio as a particularly homosexual act, but i might've misunderstood something on that point

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Viking age Scandinavians seem to have held the view that male homosexuality was acceptable as long as you didn’t bottom, because that was effeminate and the greatest shame, so I can kinda see it from that angle. the source material is sketchy though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Some joke about how goon fellatio is always gay because selfsuck.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Given multiple posters have concurred that his comment was clearly homophobic and/or sexist, and that he keeps playing word games to avoid taking responsibility for his own words instead of accepting it and moving on, the one trolling here isn't me, friend.
My dude have you considered loving off

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Viking age Scandinavians seem to have held the view that male homosexuality was acceptable as long as you didn’t bottom, because that was effeminate and the greatest shame, so I can kinda see it from that angle. the source material is sketchy though.

Calling someone gay was one of the worst thing you could say to a viking. Like, you could be killed on the spot for saying it and it would be considered a legal action. So male homosexuality was not accepted in the viking age regardless if you were topp or bottom.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Alhazred posted:

Calling someone gay was one of the worst thing you could say to a viking. Like, you could be killed on the spot for saying it and it would be considered a legal action. So male homosexuality was not accepted in the viking age regardless if you were topp or bottom.

I’m not an expert on the subject, but my understanding is that when it comes to nið, the offensive part was being accused of unmanliness, or having been the submissive partner. Or at least that’s how I understand the references I’ve seen to Preben Meulengracht Sørensen‘s argumentation. There might be more recent scholarship - The unmanly man came out in 1983.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 21, 2018

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
GODDAMN this derail is stupid and not particularily related to Scandinavian politics. Danish and Swedish politicians love to slither around like worms at the feet of Saudi (and other) dictators because they buy so much weapons from us (Sweden, not sure what the Danes are selling) and we are morally flexible to the point of ineptitude.

And now for something completely different.

:tif:

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 21, 2018

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

evil_bunnY posted:

My dude have you considered loving off

Really the reaction from posters acting so hurt about being called out for casual (unthinking) sexist and/or homophobic remarks is pretty clear support for the original point that such behaviour is widely considered acceptable in Scandinavian countries, even among self-described leftists. Certainly there may be an issue with Danes understanding the possible subtler meaning of the words in English as opposed to Danish, but open minded people should be able to grow and accept that certain things have meanings they may not have intended.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

not sure what the Danes are selling

Surveillance gadgets, though I think it was primarily the recently closed danish BAE division that did so.

e: Please take the dicksucking discussion to the official SA dicksucking thread the SAL scandinavian thread :xd:

Lima fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 21, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is it possible C or L would be open to joining a S+M coalition?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Collateral Damage posted:

Would M go for this in any scenario?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

THE BAR posted:

S, DF and K all seem to think, that being willing to shake hands should be mandatory when applying for citizenship.

http://nyheder.tv2.dk/politik/2018-08-19-partier-alle-skal-give-hand-for-at-fa-dansk-statsborgerskab

This is so nakedly stupid and evil.

Is it about refusing to shake hands in general, or is it that you can't shake everyone's hands just fine but then refuse when it comes to a specific minority? Because the first is whatever, but the latter is kinda lovely.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Potrzebie posted:

not sure what the Danes are selling

Blowjobs, presumably.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Crimpolioni posted:

Is it about refusing to shake hands in general, or is it that you can't shake everyone's hands just fine but then refuse when it comes to a specific minority? Because the first is whatever, but the latter is kinda lovely.

It's a way to deny minorities jobs and such, by saying they're refusing to integrate or cooperate by not shaking hands.

It's a minor gesture they're turning into a weapon, that's all it is.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why would they refuse to shake hands

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zzulu posted:

cos some muslims have weird ideas about gender interaction

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

of course, an approach of this kind is only going to further inflame the issue, turning that ridiculous custom into effectively a gesture of protest in the face of danish demonstrative hostility, which gives the racists additional ammunition and makes attacking them harder ('ah but we are the REAL feminists') an argh blargh

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They dont want to shake hands with women? Why should we respect that

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

See also: people uncomfortable with hugging, kissing on the cheeks and other ways of greetings. I wonder what the difference is... it's skin colour and place of birth

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ya shouldn’t, in the same way you shouldn’t be sexist rear end in a top hat at the office. Only one of these has far reaching consequences tho.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Potrzebie posted:

See also: people uncomfortable with hugging, kissing on the cheeks and other ways of greetings. I wonder what the difference is... it's skin colour and place of birth

To be fair, being anti-social or even just shy can also tank a job interview for a white person, but the way in which the interviewers escalated the situation shows it was racially motivated humiliation.

Edit: What is going to be really interesting is how Norway will handle our case where the genders have been reversed. I have a sneaking, and pretty much totally unfounded suspicion that part of the reason why the Muslim lady was found to have been discriminated against is that the Danes are not as uncomfortable with the idea that women should limit their physical interactions with strange men as they proclaim. Ie: 'benevolent' sexism.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 21, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

And now for something completely different.

:tif:

Indeed.
The site you linked to did some simulations on the poll results with the conclusion that the ruling coalition must have support (passive or not) from two of the three major parties.
Me, I am just waiting for the hilarity that ensues on the 10th.

Collateral Damage posted:

S&M is out unless we end up in a literal war. Neither s nor m is going to support this, since it would be the end of 100 years of developed antagonism.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
https://www.thelocal.se/20180821/stockholm-police-prepare-for-neo-nazi-march-on-saturday

This'll be interesting. Shame I'm heading back to the States for a vacation Friday.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Crimpolioni posted:

Some Muslims greet the opposite gender with a hand over their heart instead. This kills the secular nation.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

Some Muslims greet the opposite gender with a hand over their heart instead. This kills the secular nation.

That's low key sexism, no matter how much it's dressed up as religious tradition, and it should absolutely be called out

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Biomute posted:

It's clearly a reactionary proposal, and the people who made it would probably rather (and still might) have it be so you have to eat a piece of pork during the ceremony.

Danish People's Party beat you to the punch a few years ago, they invited all new citizens to feast on a traditional pork dish.

McCloud posted:

That's low key sexism, no matter how much it's dressed up as religious tradition, and it should absolutely be called out

It has to do with not being in close physical contact with a person you might potentially marry in the future. That's the justification. It might be somewhat odd from a western perspective where we happily slather each other's hands in germs, but I don't really see how it's "low-key sexist". It's also a tiny, tiny minority within a minority that does it, and using it as a barrier to citizenship is insanely totalitarian.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 21, 2018

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

on one hand yeah it's a dumb and occasionally rude practice, on the other hand gating citizenship behind something like that is bizarre

these are positions it is eminently possible to hold simultaneously

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Get rid of all religious followers imo. Also danes? Probably Danes also

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
girls irl gave me religious cooties

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

on one hand yeah it's a dumb and occasionally rude practice, on the other hand gating citizenship behind something like that is bizarre

these are positions it is eminently possible to hold simultaneously

This is the sane stance, imo

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
hello scandinavians please tell me which liquor from your home country i should drink while reading the reports from this thread

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Party Plane Jones posted:

hello scandinavians please tell me which liquor from your home country i should drink while reading the reports from this thread

Bäska droppar. There is no other option.

E: https://www.masterofmalt.com/aquavit/svenska-eldvatten/baska-droppar-aquavit/

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger

I think Gammel Dansk would be in order.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Mose-pors snaps.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Aquavit is the obvious answer, but Danish schnapps is possibly the only good thing to come out of the country. Especially Dill schnapps.

It is tempting to drink when one reads this thread, but if one finds one has to, then abstaining from both thread and drink is likely the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010

Biomute posted:

Aquavit is the obvious answer, but Danish schnapps is possibly the only good thing to come out of the country. Especially Dill schnapps.

It is tempting to drink when one reads this thread, but if one finds one has to, then abstaining from both thread and drink is likely the right choice.

Lots of good danish brewers too.

On topic: get OP Anderson