Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

That platoon is incredible, and that Hetzer is just cute as heck. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Anyone got a change list for Black Powder 2? I can’t believe they’re trying to get me to preorder it without listing any changes (I can find)

Edit:

https://imgur.com/a/nnheDKm

Also here are some screens from 1 game of CoC and 3 games of BA my buddy and I played with my new TTS figures. Chain of command was alright, I really enjoy the patrol phase element, but there are few things that bother me:
1. Extra phases are often game changing
2. With the (more historically accurate) lethality it tends to be a game of "who's in the better cover"
3. Too much shock book keeping, same problem as Sharp Practice.
4. Not enough toys for a tabletop game. I realize its more accurate in a platoon vs. platoon fight, but I like the variety of tools you can field in BA.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 20, 2018

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Fish and Chimps posted:

Here is my entire German CoC platoon, minus supports, plus loads of reinforcements.

What company made these models? I specifically like your commander and sergeant.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Anyone got a change list for Black Powder 2? I can’t believe they’re trying to get me to preorder it without listing any changes (I can find)

Edit:

https://imgur.com/a/nnheDKm

Also here are some screens from 1 game of CoC and 3 games of BA my buddy and I played with my new TTS figures. Chain of command was alright, I really enjoy the patrol phase element, but there are few things that bother me:
2. With the (more historically accurate) lethality it tends to be a game of "who's in the better cover"
4. Not enough toys for a tabletop game. I realize its more accurate in a platoon vs. platoon fight, but I like the variety of tools you can field in BA.

I've heard that BP2 is more of a clean-up and clarification type of new edition than anything major or groundbreaking.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Class Warcraft posted:

What company made these models? I specifically like your commander and sergeant.

These are FoW/Battlefront models. From the "German Grenadiers" plastic set. Some people scoff at BF for being "GW lite" but I will pay a premium to get my hands on their hard plastic infantry. I love them and think they blow their competition out of the water.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Fish and Chimps posted:

These are FoW/Battlefront models. From the "German Grenadiers" plastic set. Some people scoff at BF for being "GW lite" but I will pay a premium to get my hands on their hard plastic infantry. I love them and think they blow their competition out of the water.

Isn't individually based 15mm really hard to manage while playing? I remember seeing someone doing individual bases with magnets so you could still place them on a larger base together with a couple of other minis and that seemed neat at least.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Fish and Chimps posted:

drat dude, they're so we'll painted I assumed they were 28mm. Good job.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Same, that's incredible work.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Chain of command was alright, I really enjoy the patrol phase element, but there are few things that bother me:
1. Yup, it can be a game changer, but I've seen guys get three phases in a row and still lose. A lot depends on your position when the extra phases happen; if you get caught out in the open, you're generally hosed.
2. Smoke, covering fire, and tactical movement can do wonders here. As can well-applied HE.
3. I can see how tracking shock per team (or group in SP2) could be onerous compared to tracking it per unit like pins in BA. That said, I like the tactical flexibility that the team structure in CoC offers. In terms of how squads actually fought, it's pretty spot-on.
4. For most of the scenarios in the book, I would tend to agree. But if you do any campaign-based play, all sorts of toys get onto the table. A lot of the Pint-Sized Campaigns have much higher levels of Support, and campaign-play is where CoC really shines.

And yeah, I'm a huge fan of the patrol phase. It's so much cooler than fixed table-edge deployment zones.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fish and Chimps posted:

Doooooo it. Doooooo it!

It would be fun to do the two regiments from where I live and where I work: Northern Scanian Dragoon Regiment and Southern Scanian Dragoon/Carabinier/Cavalry regiments (yes they had three(!) names and cavalry types during the period). But I should look up some more sources for a suitable regiment once I get home and have access to my sources.

If I pull the trigger I also need to decide whether to go for the Finnish War (and fight anachronistic 1812 Russians), or the 1813-14 campaigns on the continent or against Norway-Denmark, for which the Perry uniforms would be wrong, and I'd need to get the opposing force. The problem with armies that keep changing uniforms... :(

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Torabi posted:

Isn't individually based 15mm really hard to manage while playing? I remember seeing someone doing individual bases with magnets so you could still place them on a larger base together with a couple of other minis and that seemed neat at least.

Depends what you use them for. For CoC you use so few dudes, I don't find it's a problem. During our transitional period where we'd still play FoW once in a while, my friend used the recessed FoW bases with magnets in them. Since we base them on washers, they'd stick to the magnets and that worked just fine.

Class Warcraft posted:

drat dude, they're so we'll painted I assumed they were 28mm. Good job.

Shucks guys, thanks!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

1. We houseruled it so that you can't have more than two phases in a row. Double sixes in the second subsequent phase are treated as double fives.

However, I think COC is ultimately a game where both players must be okay with the dice dramatically changing the outcome of the game. It isn't a competitive game, it's a game where you and a buddy play with toy soldiers for a while and have fun together.

2. This is a common complaint, and almost always stems from not having enough terrain on the table. On a barren COC table, the guy that sits behind the only stone wall is king, and the game is resolved by throwing dice at each other until one side capitulates. A table loaded with hedgerows, walls, ruins, and houses is much more conductive to a game of fire and maneuver.

4. Ditch the scenarios and support point system in the rulebook and roll your own. The most fun you can have in COC is with wildly asymmetrical scenarios. COC works just fine with a lot of toys on the table. We regularly play with a tank platoon on one side, for instance.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Geisladisk posted:

1. We houseruled it so that you can't have more than two phases in a row. Double sixes in the second subsequent phase are treated as double fives.

However, I think COC is ultimately a game where both players must be okay with the dice dramatically changing the outcome of the game. It isn't a competitive game, it's a game where you and a buddy play with toy soldiers for a while and have fun together.

2. This is a common complaint, and almost always stems from not having enough terrain on the table. On a barren COC table, the guy that sits behind the only stone wall is king, and the game is resolved by throwing dice at each other until one side capitulates. A table loaded with hedgerows, walls, ruins, and houses is much more conductive to a game of fire and maneuver.

4. Ditch the scenarios and support point system in the rulebook and roll your own. The most fun you can have in COC is with wildly asymmetrical scenarios. COC works just fine with a lot of toys on the table. We regularly play with a tank platoon on one side, for instance.

1. We use exactly this houserule as well, after an Italian won an entire game by a tripple phase at the start of the game. It's simply just not fun for either player if you get more than two phases in a row, as it's often a game over.

2. Seconding this! Lardies wisdom from our club: you always need more terrain than you think in CoC, and you always need less than you think in SP2. Also, it's a learning curve. My first games of CoC also devolved into long firefights between units in cover, until you learn to butt out when you are at a disadvantage instead of just slowly grind each other down.

4. A lot of convention games seems to use A LOT of support points to get the "toys" on the table. Like, 20-30. Another option is to play Big CoC with one infantry and one tank platoon on both sides. Should get you plenty of stuff to play around with.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Fish and Chimps posted:

Depends what you use them for. For CoC you use so few dudes, I don't find it's a problem. During our transitional period where we'd still play FoW once in a while, my friend used the recessed FoW bases with magnets in them. Since we base them on washers, they'd stick to the magnets and that worked just fine.

Shucks guys, thanks!

Your stuff rules mr Fish and chimps. Where did you get the hetzer?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

As I said I'm a big fan of asymmetrical big point games - We once played a 30 point game where on player could only spend his points on tanks, and the other couldn't spend any points on tanks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Anyone have any experience with Pike and Shotte? It seems to be the most prevalent 30YW system out there, which I'm a big fan of. I'm thinking about buying the For God And Country box and just painting up some English Civil War armies.

That's why we got into this hobby right? To find ultra-niche systems and build up armies we'll never play against people?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Just do what I do and collect a dozen armies at once, then use Pike and Shotte or the ancient/medieval version to do implausible battles between ancient egyptians and early gunpowder age Muscovites.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Loomer posted:

early gunpowder age Muscovites.

With Fire and Sword?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Cessna posted:

With Fire and Sword?

Yup. I'm a big streltsy fan - I think I have about ~450 of them from Strelets and Zvezda now as the core of a 1/72 army. It's why I'm always on the hunt for good quality additions to the streltsy, since the Zvezda ones are all one set (and I have 5 already. They're great, but pose variation is good) and you can only get Strelets ones as bonus figures (and they vary wildly in quality. Some stand at 27mm, for instance - they're virtually unusable in a historical 1/72 army, though I repurposed them for a fantasy setting of mine) so it's a pain getting more in the mix. The less said about the LW/Evolution figures the better in general, and those are never easy to get either. Noble cavalry and the like are much easier to source.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Loomer posted:

Yup. I'm a big streltsy fan - I think I have about ~450 of them from Strelets and Zvezda now as the core of a 1/72 army. It's why I'm always on the hunt for good quality additions to the streltsy, since the Zvezda ones are all one set (and I have 5 already. They're great, but pose variation is good) and you can only get Strelets ones as bonus figures (and they vary wildly in quality. Some stand at 27mm, for instance - they're virtually unusable in a historical 1/72 army, though I repurposed them for a fantasy setting of mine) so it's a pain getting more in the mix. The less said about the LW/Evolution figures the better in general, and those are never easy to get either. Noble cavalry and the like are much easier to source.

Oh, man...

I love the game and the era, but can't find anyone in my area even vaguely interested.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cessna posted:

I love the game and the era, but can't find anyone in my area even vaguely interested.

New thread title please

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Geisladisk posted:

As I said I'm a big fan of asymmetrical big point games - We once played a 30 point game where on player could only spend his points on tanks, and the other couldn't spend any points on tanks.
Oooh, I might have something of interest to you, then! I'm working up a CoC PSC right now based on the battle of Totensonntag ("Sunday of the Dead"), a battle that occurred on 23 November 1941 as part of Operation Crusader (the British 8th Army's attempt to break the German siege of the Libyan port city of Tobruk). This particular battle pits the 8th Panzer Regiment against the 5th South African Infantry Brigade. To call it "wildly asymmetric" is putting it mildly. But both forces have objectives that go beyond "kill the other guys," so the balance of the campaign has less to do with inflicting casualties, and more to do with covering ground quickly and capturing men and materiel.

Would you be interested in play-testing for me?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Wowshawk posted:

Thanks but the Hetzer isn't mine.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
D'oh! That's phoneposting. I'll probably get a battlefront one then.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Cessna posted:

Oh, man...

Yeah. I get double service out of it by using 1/72 instead of 15mm and assembling varied 1/72 armies for fantasy battles. So I've got an army of mixed medievals (10th century through to 14th, from the really crude old airfix robin hood pairing through to some of the gorgeous Zvezdas), a force of ancient egyptians, a good sized force of Romans (Republican and Imperial, and a few late imperial), the Streltsy army (mixed in with Red Box's new ratniki and pishalniki, some cossacks, and some Polish haiduks and militia that serve as opposition forces and mercenaries when I keep it purely historical), a few 16th century central european landsknecht mercenaries, etc. Into that mix I add some fantasy critters, a whole bunch of arcane legions stuff, an army of GW's moria goblins (who are almost perfectly to 1/72 scale as human-sized orcs and can even be refitted to ride horses with a little green stuff work, and you can get cheap as chips sometimes on ebay) and my 28mm Rohan guys as giant mercenaries, and the general hodgepodge gets some use with my dnd group that way.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ilor posted:

Oooh, I might have something of interest to you, then! I'm working up a CoC PSC right now based on the battle of Totensonntag ("Sunday of the Dead"), a battle that occurred on 23 November 1941 as part of Operation Crusader (the British 8th Army's attempt to break the German siege of the Libyan port city of Tobruk). This particular battle pits the 8th Panzer Regiment against the 5th South African Infantry Brigade. To call it "wildly asymmetric" is putting it mildly. But both forces have objectives that go beyond "kill the other guys," so the balance of the campaign has less to do with inflicting casualties, and more to do with covering ground quickly and capturing men and materiel.

Would you be interested in play-testing for me?

That sounds pretty amazing, but I do not have any DAK or British stuff. I'd love to look through it, though!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Geisladisk posted:

New thread title please

Probably too long, but I'll see if I can reword it and request

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Geisladisk posted:

That sounds pretty amazing, but I do not have any DAK or British stuff. I'd love to look through it, though!
You could proxy, unless doing so makes you feel dirty. I'll pull all of my notes and research together into a more readable form over the next day or two. Hit me with your e-mail address and I'll send it your way (I don't have PMs because I'm a terrible person who isn't helping to support Lowtax's crummy spine).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cessna posted:

Oh, man...

New app idea - Grindr but for grognards.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Grogr

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
:golfclap:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

:discourse:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I only swipe right for people with fully painted armies.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Wowshawk posted:

Who? Me?

Rubicon.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I think I bought it from Combat Company.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I played my first game of What a Tanker today. I had two Sherman M4A1s, one with a 76, vs my dad with two Panzer IV Hs. My M4A1 76 got knocked out in one shot on the very first turn, but I soldiered on in the remaining Sherman before it too was destroyed. I didn't take pictures, because the models were unpainted and the terrain was cardstock that we taped together into buildings and hedgerows immediately before we started, but this game is a loving blast.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Kommando posted:

Who? Me?

Rubicon.

Yeah, had a bit of a brainfart there. Unfortunately it's 28mm according to the site! But nice paintjob, I tried to (badly) use it on my own models.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Hey there, I want to buy some models to represent ZIPRA forces. I saw the link to the peter pig site but I was wondering about any other options?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cessna posted:

Oh, man...

Geisladisk posted:

New thread title please

Colonial Air Force posted:

Probably too long, but I'll see if I can reword it and request

And done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'm honored, thank you!