Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watched it with my niece when she was 4 and it was new, watched it again with my son last year when he was four.

The thing I've learned is that most children's programming is just point and click adventure games. Dora the Explorer, Mickey Mouse clubhouse, Blues Clues, it's all 90s pc adventure games.

Dora even had a drat computer mouse appear on screen and click on poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Dora the Explorer started in 2000. I assume a lot of the younger posters on this forum grew up with the show.

Yeah, it wasn't quite in my age range, but it was definitely out and huge when I was young. It's not like baby shows exist in this cordoned off space of pop culture, so even if you didn't see it personally you'd still see commercials for it as well as those for its toy lines.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Watched it with my niece when she was 4 and it was new, watched it again with my son last year when he was four.

The thing I've learned is that most children's programming is just point and click adventure games. Dora the Explorer, Mickey Mouse clubhouse, Blues Clues, it's all 90s pc adventure games.

Dora even had a drat computer mouse appear on screen and click on poo poo.

And yet the show based on an actual 90s PC adventure game (based on a comic) got cancelled after like, half a season. RIP Sam and Max.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GrandpaPants posted:

And yet the show based on an actual 90s PC adventure game (based on a comic) got cancelled after like, half a season. RIP Sam and Max.

There was another one that was basically Monkey Island with the serial numbers filed up but I can't remember the name. In one episode they tried to find a singing weird which they thought was a "singe" -ing flame sword but was actually musical

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I remember it took me like 5 years or more to realize that Dora the Explorer was a pun.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how Dora the Explora is being filmed in Australia for reasons.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

In fairness him and Cliff Curtis have basically played every kind of brown person aside from Polynesian in Hollywood. And then when a literally textually Maori character comes up who do they get? Ben loving Kingsley.

Ben Kingsley still gets poo poo for playing Ghandi as that was somehow racially inappropriate which feels really unfair given that his birth name was Krishna Pandit Bhanji.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Young Ben Kingsley was unmistakably a brown Indian man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Young Ben Kingsley was unmistakably a brown Indian man.

Then he became an old white man through the same (but weaker)magic Michael Jackson used.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Samuel Clemens posted:

Dora the Explorer started in 2000. I assume a lot of the younger posters on this forum grew up with the show.

I was just old enough at the time to miss out on it, but I do remember catching some commercials for it and some of my relatives would turn it on whenever they were over.

I was raised on Caillou. I honestly couldn't tell you why I liked that show so much, I think I was 8 by the time I finally stopped.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn’t Caillou the kid from the Play-Doh containers?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

My HS girlfriend's little sister was watching Dora once when I went to pick them up for a movie day. I was like "poo poo, spanish words on Nick TV? That's pretty bonkers".

The PC adventure thing kind of makes sense if you figure that Children's TV wanted to both introduce concept of basic computer use to children, but structure the show in a way that the repetition wouldn't be super forced while throwing in some simple cause/logic stuff.
And now my toddler basically knows how to skip the commercials on his YT Little Baby Bum videos so he's going to grow up and look at Dora as a really, really dated work probably.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I was raised on Caillou. I honestly couldn't tell you why I liked that show so much, I think I was 8 by the time I finally stopped.

I recall one called Little Bill, which I think might have been a Bill Cosby creation. The one thing I really distinctly remember from it is an episode where he has to wrap a toy for his friend's birthday present, but breaks it because he took it out of its box to play with it first. That's your friend's birthday present, kid! You're not supposed to play with it!

I'm pretty sure the lesson was "be honest and tell your parents so they can help you fix it" rather than "don't play with the toy you got your friend for their birthday".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally saw Alien Covenant and it owned.

I'm like 100 pages behind in the Alien thread and lol at everyone freaking out about SMG. His funniest gimmick is when he just summarize poo poo that happens on screen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finally saw Alien Covenant and it owned.

It's really fuckin good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I always get weird looks from people when I say how much I loved it. Apparently Prometheus is fine now. But Covenant? That’s still got a ways before people appreciate it.

I can’t wait for David’s journal this September.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

I can’t wait for David’s journal this September.

Say what

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Covenant is better than Prometheus but only in the way that torture is better than death.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Covenant is definitely better than Prometheus but that's not saying much. Prometheus is distractingly stupid (i will concede there's a certain level of stupid that is acceptable in sci-fi but that film went way over there line). Covenant is just "fine." These things are true whether you consider them next to their predecessors or as standalone films

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Prometheus is one of the top-3 sci-fi films of the past 25 years or so. Covenant is not quite as good, it is merely top-10.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gray boring drudges, the both of them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Prometheus is one of the top-3 sci-fi films of the past 25 years or so. Covenant is not quite as good, it is merely top-10.

This is true enough but consider that the competition is stuff like Ex Machina.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is true enough but consider that the competition is stuff like Ex Machina.

Agreed. Kind of my point though, if you're gonna poo poo on Prometheus and Covenant, good luck finding other $150 mil+ budgeted sci-fi with top of the line talent involved like Ridley Scott, Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba, etc. etc.

These movies just don't get made very much, you have to appreciate them when they come or just give up being a sci-fi fan. What are we supposed to do, watch Blade Runner every day forever?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Covenant-Drawings-Dane-Hallett/dp/1785659243

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

You're nuts.

Basebf555 posted:

If you're gonna poo poo on Prometheus and Covenant, good luck finding other $150 mil+ budgeted sci-fi with top of the line talent involved like Ridley Scott, Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba, etc. etc.

These movies just don't get made very much, you have to appreciate them when they come or just give up being a sci-fi fan. What are we supposed to do, watch Blade Runner every day forever?

Don't move the goalposts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Don't move the goalposts.

I'm not, I stand by my statement. They're both in the top-10 sci-fi films of the past 25 years. By all means, give me a top-10 list and I'll tell you which ones aren't as good as Prometheus of Covenant.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Alien Covenant would be fine if the alien never showed up.

It’s pretty bad with it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not, I stand by my statement. They're both in the top-10 sci-fi films of the past 25 years. By all means, give me a top-10 list and I'll tell you which ones aren't as good as Prometheus of Covenant.

I can give you eight off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Ex Machina (2015)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End Of Evangelion (1997)
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Her (2013)
Annihilation (2018)
Zero Theorem (2013)
I, Robot (2004) Inception (2010)

kalel fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 21, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Solid list but what the heck is I, Robot doing there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I can give you eight off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Ex Machina (2015)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End Of Evangelion (1997)
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Her (2013)
Annihilation (2018)
Zero Theorem (2013)
I, Robot (2004)

So you have eight, and one of them is I, Robot. Ok.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
My logic is undeniable!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alien: Covenant is very good, but I think I take all these over it:

12 Monkeys
28 Days Later
District 9
The Fifth Element
Godzilla (2014)
Hulk
Jurassic Park
Mad Max: Fury Road
Man of Steel
The Matrix
The Prestige
Primer
Prometheus
Shin Godzilla
Starship Troopers
Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Whereas, yes, Prometheus is top-3.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Alien: Covenant is very good, but I think I take all these over it:
12 Monkeys
28 Days Later
District 9
The Fifth Element
Godzilla (2014)
Hulk
Jurassic Park
Mad Max: Fury Road
Man of Steel
The Matrix
The Prestige
Primer
Prometheus
Shin Godzilla
Starship Troopers
Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Whereas, yes, Prometheus is top-3.

A list of solid films, for sure. But it's a bit padded with stuff like 28 Days Later, Hulk, Man of Steel and Universal Soldier. I mean I get that comic books movies are technically sci-fi in a lot of cases but it's not really what I was referring to. Anyway, I like Covenant more than Man of Steel and Hulk so it's moot.

Regardless, you aren't going to come up with a top-10 list where those last few entries aren't very debatable. Like, you're gonna say that I, Robot is one of the top-10 sci-fi films of the past 25 years, but then call me insane for saying the same of Covenant? Come on.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

If you stretch the boundaries a little to include horror sci-fi and indie, I have ten more:

Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)
Under the Skin (2013)
Signs (2002)
Hidden (2015)
Daybreakers (2009)
Iron Sky (2012)
Dark City (1998)
9 (2009)
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
11 A.M. (2013)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea, how insane of me to prefer Covenant to Daybreakers.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

So you have eight, and one of them is I, Robot. Ok.

You're right, I forgot about Inception. Pretend I said that instead

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Regardless, you aren't going to come up with a top-10 list where those last few entries aren't very debatable. Like, you're gonna say that I, Robot is one of the top-10 sci-fi films of the past 25 years, but then call me insane for saying the same of Covenant? Come on.

Yeah, definitely, I was just taking the opportunity to think through the last few decades of sci-fi.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Under the Skin

Add this one to my list.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Define "sci-fi" first.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Define "sci-fi" first.

No, this has never been interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Children of Men a science-fiction movie?