Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got tagged to do jury duty twice in 5 years living in CT but didn't do it either time. They just mass-mail them out with no way to verify you actually got your summons and they make no effort to record or enforce it. I have yet to get notification in VA.

MANAFARTZ PREDICTON: 12 guilty counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I haven’t received a jury summons ever in florida. Got a bunch in texas but was on active duty elsewhere so all got excused.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It’s me, I’m the one writing “google jury nullification” in courthouse bathroom stalls.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

boop the snoot posted:

I have never done jury duty. I think I was summoned once when I was like 20 but never did anything about it and never heard about it again.

I got summoned to Federal jury duty, but after filling out the questionnaire, never heard back.

Too bad, I could've used a few weeks off from work.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I’ve always been registered to vote far from where I lived/worked. That’s changing this month, so maybe I’ll actually have to show up for stuff now.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I only got summoned once when I was busy invading Iraq.

Would kind of like to do it someday.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

I’ve always been registered to vote far from where I lived/worked. That’s changing this month, so maybe I’ll actually have to show up for stuff now.

it's based off your driver's license

the voting thing was a myth

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"I do not believe the police or legal system are here to protect or benefit the individual, but for the self-serving purposes of the state."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I’d love to be on a jury. Sit downtown in an air-conditioned room judging people?

Sign me the h*ck up!

god that av owns

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:rip: yet another soundcloud rapper maybe

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Welp that doesn’t expire like... ever.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fister Roboto posted:

god that av owns

great things come from the gip discord

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I've never been selected for an actual jury but have attended the initial summons many times. Only once have I used my 'get out of jury duty' card.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

:rip: yet another soundcloud rapper maybe

As long as Saint Pepsi never bites it we're cool

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, the only time I was summoned was on active. Surprising since it has been 6 years and I'm been in different places.

Slam cut to 10 days later, opening up a letter from the county.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I got summoned for Jury Duty when I was 2 months in country, thus I was able to defer.

*fart*

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/JoshMargolin/status/1031958700477562880?s=09

COHEN PLED GUILTY

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Over/under 12hrs from not guilty verdict for Mueller to be fired

Gonna start the clock when it is confirmed in court.

Edit: :toxx: And $50 to my local humane society if I am wrong taking the under.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Can't wait to find out to what

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

lmao he flipped easier than a pancake

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got called for jury duty 3 years ago. I got it deferred a month because I was doing summer semester. My dad has been in law enforcement my entire life so there's no way I'd ever be let near a criminal trial. Still had to sit through all of jury selection, so that was half a day. The second trial I got called for got delayed first because a big enough pool didn't show up, and then because they didn't have the right pool names. So the judge apologized and said our service was over.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I had a month of jury duty in a wrongful death lawsuit. Was an interesting experience.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I feel like I'm the kind of person who might lecture someone else about how it's their civic duty and they need to take it seriously. And really it is. But I had just finished a bruising 17 credit summer semester, was dead tired, and didn't want to be there for anything. Especially not for $10 a day plus sone pittance for mileage.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Total witch hunt

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
4pm court hearing.

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1031966713603125248?s=19

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1031966538767761420?s=19

loving lollin my dick off here, this is another mattering-adjacent thing, as it's campaign finance!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/preetbharara/status/1031967065488478208?s=21

:lol: that’s gotta be a satisfying tweet for him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I got a jury duty summons last year and had the unique pleasure of telling them to piss off.

In retrospect, I probably should have tried to get arrested for failing to respond.

(the neighboring county keeps sending jury duty summons to people in my county because part of my county shares a post office with part of their county. It's gotten so bad that they had to put a "I don't live in your county" checkbox on the reply form. They haven't figured out zip+4 yet)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

lol, campaign finance violations to boot. Wunderbar.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

quote:

Trump’s Former Fixer, Michael Cohen, Reaches a Plea Agreement Over Payments to Women

Michael Cohen, President Trump’s former lawyer, reached a plea agreement with prosecutors investigating payments he made to women for Mr. Trump, a person familiar with the matter said.

Prosecutors in New York had been scrutinizing Mr. Cohen for bank and tax fraud, as well as for his role in helping to arrange financial deals to secure the silence of women who said they had affairs with Mr. Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/...pe=sectionfront

:munch:

e: e;fb

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/michaelcohen212/status/678410436774141956?s=21

:allears:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/kpolantz/status/1031973205341364224

:getin:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I've been summoned to jury duty about 4 times. All of them within a span of like 8 years. Was only ever selected for an actual jury once. The first time I got summoned was in 2007 and they said to expect the trial to last something like 50 days or so. I ended up getting a deferment which might have ended up being a bad thing because as I was going to work the day I was originally scheduled to go in I heard on the radio they were starting selection for a good old fashion mob trial! So I'm not sure if I was lucky or unlucky to have avoided possibly being on a jury for a massive mob trial.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1031948356237582337?s=21

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

but the deal does not include cooperation, two people familiar with the matter said.

Any thoughts on that bit?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't know if it's the same in the USA but in Canada it's illegal for your employer not to give you time off to attend jury duty. The city also pays your parking (if applicable). I learned all this from the orientation video I watched a total of four times :pseudo: Most I ever did was be an understudy on a back-up jury just in case someone on the first one shat the bed.

People without employers legally required to give you the time off (e.g. self-employed, farmer, parents raising kids, etc) to whom attending would be an unfair burden are generally either straight up excused (if they cannot realistically attend) or just plain pushed to the back priority wise (if they could but would really rather not) and not called.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

During jury selection in the US they also ask if being in the jury would be an undue burden and will excuse you if so. Since it is the US though, that includes things like being unable to afford to miss work.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Employers can’t say no if you want to do jury duty (my understanding — doesn’t include military poo poo like deployments or training). They also don’t have to pay you if you’re hourly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't know if it's the same in the USA but in Canada it's illegal for your employer not to give you time off to attend jury duty. The city also pays your parking (if applicable). I learned all this from the orientation video I watched a total of four times :pseudo: Most I ever did was be an understudy on a back-up jury just in case someone on the first one shat the bed.

People without employers legally required to give you the time off (e.g. self-employed, farmer, parents raising kids, etc) to whom attending would be an unfair burden are generally either straight up excused (if they cannot realistically attend) or just plain pushed to the back priority wise (if they could but would really rather not) and not called.

The problem is you need to miss a day of work for that orientation and while they can't fire you they don't have to pay you for it either.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/catlinnyaa/status/1031951136415260678?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Actually that’s 2016.

2018 would be saying “fake news” and showing up to work anyway.

• Locked thread