Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

Does your customer pay per piece of work delivered with the ability to change their minds until they're "happy"? It sounds like someone might be trying to build a case to either have the customer pay extra for every change, or pay by the hour.

We are a backend/web api/integration team and all our consumers are other internal dev teams, but we're not even a software business so at no point does a customer directly pay for any of what we do.

We have a bunch of extremely bad product owners and scrum masters who didn't want to give up being PMs and are hyper defensive/blame other teams when they over promise and under deliver. But that's not even really the driver here, it all apparently "came from the top" that the CEO wants to see ~how efficient~ each team is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xik posted:

We are a backend/web api/integration team and all our consumers are other internal dev teams, but we're not even a software business so at no point does a customer directly pay for any of what we do.

We have a bunch of extremely bad product owners and scrum masters who didn't want to give up being PMs and are hyper defensive/blame other teams when they over promise and under deliver. But that's not even really the driver here, it all apparently "came from the top" that the CEO wants to see ~how efficient~ each team is.

Good news! You now have an easy to find number to inflate your estimates by to be perfect!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Xik posted:

We now have a "waste" user story in every sprint (tasks are categories of "waste") so that multiple layers of management can run reports on team efficiency. We are required to record our hours in the category tasks when we spend time doing these things. Includes gems like "environmental", "rework", "waiting on others". "Rework" is of course for adding time where we deliver things and then the consumer has "changed their requirements" and we have to modify it. :stare:

Working on environments is very wasteful, I can see where they are coming from. Are you guys already pestered if too many hours are spend on waste?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Xik posted:

Oh, I missed this one. It seems like software devs are overhead anyway. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Keetron posted:

Working on environments is very wasteful, I can see where they are coming from. Are you guys already pestered if too many hours are spend on waste?

Yeah... much of our time is wasted on our crappy environments, pointless security dances and tedious change control process but it's all already known. There are frequent "surveys" and other calls for feedback about this stuff and all the devs say the same thing every time. Most of it just ends up being ignored but every now and then a team is spun-up to address one of these things, but they waste 6/12/18 months with architects, burn all the budget and then mothball because there were no results lol.

Keetron posted:

Oh, I missed this one. It seems like software devs are overhead anyway. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Exactly. I think I'm going to start looking elsewhere. I have no doubt dedicated software shops will have their own quirks, but at least I won't be in a place where the majority of the IT department is considered "non-technical"...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In my new role, every three months we have a big planning meeting where every team commits to the features they will be developing and what sprint they will do each story. If your team doesn’t meet your goals for each sprint and the overall quarter, you are raked over the coals.

Somehow this is called agile.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

smackfu posted:

In my new role, every three months we have a big planning meeting where every team commits to the features they will be developing and what sprint they will do each story. If your team doesn’t meet your goals for each sprint and the overall quarter, you are raked over the coals.

Are you using SAFE?

Because I've seen that happen a lot in those environments.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

smackfu posted:

did you guys know that the notion of scrum being agile is an anachronism? scrum was actually codified in 1995 and existed in the early 1990's. the agile manifesto was signed in 2001.

if you sit through eliassen group training meetings on agile, they'll bring up agile and they have this whole oral history of the signatories of agile etc, who are liked to the signers of the declaration of independence visually in the graphics. suddenly, there is a switch to this scrum, which existed before the agile manifesto and whose only relationship with agile is seemingly that agile is a cool word that people are willing to pay a bunch of money to look like.

my working theory is that the scrum consultants happened upon a cia backdoor / pattern of mind control implanted by high school civics class that was intended for cia use in case of emergencies, and that's how it began to spread.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Are you using SAFE?

Because I've seen that happen a lot in those environments.

Yeah this is the first thing I thought. The thread title is definitely too real at times.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

smackfu posted:

This is everything but agile.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Xik posted:

We now have a "waste" user story in every sprint (tasks are categories of "waste") so that multiple layers of management can run reports on team efficiency. We are required to record our hours in the category tasks when we spend time doing these things. Includes gems like "environmental", "rework", "waiting on others". "Rework" is of course for adding time where we deliver things and then the consumer has "changed their requirements" and we have to modify it. :stare:

Tracking waste isn't that weird, it is good for identifying bottlenecks that could be improved. If it is being used to blame you for "wasting" time then yeah, that's hosed up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Tracking waste isn't that weird, it is good for identifying bottlenecks that could be improved. If it is being used to blame you for "wasting" time then yeah, that's hosed up

What’s gonna happen is that now there are new definitions for “wasting time”:

- Addressing tech debt
- Determining if a user actually needs something
- Walking about to clear your mind
- Doctor appointments
- Lunch
- 9-to-5 schedules

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Speaking of waste, it turns out our group has been making a loss for a couple of years. The strategy from the top is to get rid of people and make efficiencies. I guess this works if you have some glaring issues, but otherwise I kinda feel like once that's your model for making money you're basically committing to a death spiral.

The obvious good solution is to find out why we so rarely get from clients saying 'yes, lets work together' to them actually signing a contract, and why when we do it takes so long, but I guess that doesn't have the instant appeal of saying you saved $$$ (by firing all the expensive (good) people)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I managed to get an AspectJ plugin working in Cradle and now I kind of feel unstoppable. It was kind of ridiculous how much of a struggle it was though; there's basically zero documentation for it even though AspectJ is sorta-popular?

Anyone else have stories where you struggle on something simple and then it suddenly works?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

SardonicTyrant posted:

Anyone else have stories where you struggle on something simple and then it suddenly works?

Excuse me as I recount the entirety of my career

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ChickenWing posted:

:same:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Anyone else have stories where you struggle on something simple, declare it completely impossible, tell the PM it’s a few more story points of work, end up having to work on it anyway, run your brain ragged over it for a day, go to sleep, come back the next day, and then it suddenly works? And then you feel like a fraud, a cheat, and a mooch?

ChickenWing posted:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Not true, sometimes things work great right away, and then suddenly stop working

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I spent all day yesterday frustrated because I forgot that 'map' doesn't change the original object..... '

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If things work great right away that's when you know you've truly hosed up somewhere

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah that's my favorite: "I'm not done yet but I'm gonna hit run anyways to see how it brea--wait why did that work something is very wrong"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

If things work great right away that's when you know you've truly hosed up somewhere

The scariest moment when I was still new was when I wrote something and it worked correctly the first time.

I still get chills thinking about it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
There are few things more annoying than a test that starts out green, because when I see that I know I'm about to waste a couple hours on some bullshit.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just did the classic head-scratch at a test that shouldn't've been green yet, but was, because I pointed it at the wrong function.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I always put incorrect expected values the first time I run tests just to make sure it can actually fail

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I wasted ~half a day just last week because I forgot to add public setters to a POCO and couldn't figure out why all the properties were null coming out of AutoMapper :downs:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I always put incorrect expected values the first time I run tests just to make sure it can actually fail

You should be adding tests for unhappy paths along with tests for your happy paths.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Volmarias posted:

You should be adding tests for unhappy paths along with tests for your happy paths.

I'm not talking about unhappy paths, I've seen incorrectly written tests passing when they shouldn't so now in my paranoia I force them to fail first and then fix it

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

yeah, so when your test passes despite that, it's a real mindfuck. it's happened to me a bunch of times (usually something like = instead of == or something along those lines, much better to use the api than to write the comparison yourself in most cases)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not talking about unhappy paths, I've seen incorrectly written tests passing when they shouldn't so now in my paranoia I force them to fail first and then fix it

Sounds like TDD.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

In true TDD you first write some basic test that should fail and you do the minimal to make that green. And then add the next that should fail,etcetc. In the end you refactor while everything should stay green.
Especially when unsure on how to approach a problem, writing tests on the desired solutions is pretty solid.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I like it when they're green because you forgot the asserts :hurr:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
There is a reason why the testing framework I maintain can report failure when there were no asserts run :v:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Assert.True(true);

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
There is not much to do once you start assuming malicious intent :shrug:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

redleader posted:

Assert.True(true);

The junit framework only reports red on a test if an assert fails. I have encountered tests in the wild that simply had the line with the assert in it commented out to make it pass.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Keetron posted:

In true TDD you first write some basic test that should fail and you do the minimal to make that green. And then add the next that should fail,etcetc. In the end you refactor while everything should stay green.

A few weeks ago, I copied an existing test, modified it for a new feature I was going to write, and it passed... before I wrote the feature. So now I had two tests to fix :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I could have sworn detecting state and federal holidays was a solved problem with existing support. The gently caress you mean I gotta implement Columbus Day myself :rant:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pollyanna posted:

I could have sworn detecting state and federal holidays was a solved problem with existing support. The gently caress you mean I gotta implement Columbus Day myself :rant:

Some day you should look up how Easter is calculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Some day you should look up how Easter is calculated.
This is unironically my favorite. (Not that I've tried or would want to implement it in code. Just as a concept.)