Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
His own greed made him run away from his friends and colleagues in order to keep all the money for himself.

He's literally the old miser that fairy tales are written about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

believe me it's not common i feel sorry for notch :v: just when i'm feeling poorly or bitter about mental health care, I guess. he can just gently caress off otherwise especially considering his problems are self-inflicted

as for exapunks, just got to the weird multiplayer thing. not gonna participate much but that's a neat idea

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
This game would be so much easier if the workers could aquire locks on m, I swear half of what I'm doing at the moment is carefully timing communication of subprocesses.

You can't even do "workers wait to receive a packet from the master, then the one that receives it gets to send" because when that worker tries to send the packets will get picked up by the other workers waiting to receive the go signal.

Local mode doesn't solve this because there's no way to test which other exas are in the same host as you so instead it's just all about very very careful timing. My baseball stats solution has 20+ noops in (the exact number obtained by trial and error) solely for the purpose of the workers not contenting for m

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 13, 2018

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
the loving tape drives kill me. made the nastiest solution. this is reminding me of TIS where I'm always thinking how good it would be to have just one more register. such a cool game though and the setting is awesome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i think i thought my solution was good for that one

just did bank one. am super pleased with self coz initially i thought it was impossible but then later on came back and solution seemed obvious 😎

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm fine with the register number but that shared memory bus with no locking and target header is truly something awful

also getting hosed with baseball order of operations. Just tell me the number you want me to haaaave so I can reverse engineer that stupid math

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gonadic io posted:

This game would be so much easier if the workers could aquire locks on m, I swear half of what I'm doing at the moment is carefully timing communication of subprocesses.

You can't even do "workers wait to receive a packet from the master, then the one that receives it gets to send" because when that worker tries to send the packets will get picked up by the other workers waiting to receive the go signal.

Local mode doesn't solve this because there's no way to test which other exas are in the same host as you so instead it's just all about very very careful timing. My baseball stats solution has 20+ noops in (the exact number obtained by trial and error) solely for the purpose of the workers not contenting for m

Unless you really really need to have these things in different nodes, you can use local mode just fine. Master sends a global message then listens for a local response, workers listen for global messages and send local responses.

Even if you do need them in different nodes, you can sometimes have workers run home to send back their local response. Or even do things purely locally, by having both master and worker move to a different node for getting the response. (Admittedly, yes, that murders your activity score.)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

echinopsis posted:

i think i thought my solution was good for that one

just did bank one. am super pleased with self coz initially i thought it was impossible but then later on came back and solution seemed obvious 😎

just went back and crushed it. thought of the right way to do it while i was poopin at work

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

jabor still got 10 cycles on me though :argh:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i love -funroll-looping all my solutions

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
This game is extraordinarily difficult.

Super fun tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
where r u up 2?

im doing the redshift

I think ive found the solution conceptually now its just a matter of fiddling with the odd line to make it actually work

lol tho easy to find the code once I worked out what swiz meant

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
not far at all :(

I also can’t get the zine to print right, all the inverse sides are upside down :saddowns:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what i love about this game and you’ll find the same is that puzzles seem impossible at first but you manage to progress thru thought until you can achieve them. it’s satisfying and you’ll get there

believe me if i can do it you can

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

echinopsis posted:

what i love about this game and you’ll find the same is that puzzles seem impossible at first but you manage to progress thru thought until you can achieve them. it’s satisfying and you’ll get there

believe me if i can do it you can

yeah every level i start by thinking "gently caress this is going to be a pain" but i always finish them feeling clever.

im really surprised how small but versatile the instruction set is

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
what I've found I have a general idea of how to solve the puzzle but the nuances of synchronization and memory access aren't apparent until I get into it. I've also noticed that my solutions tend to be pretty short code wise but can take monstrous amounts of time

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Just finished the Berkeley level and I feel proud of myself even though I’m like last in the rankings.

this is a better game than Shenzhen IO even though it is similar, instruction limits were just so drat annoying. in this I feel like I’m writing state machines for the whole puzzle which is super fun.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I can’t believe how hard my computer has to work to run it though. It’s so simple, why can’t he write games that aren’t insanely cpu intensive.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Stereotype posted:

I can’t believe how hard my computer has to work to run it though. It’s so simple, why can’t he write games that aren’t insanely cpu intensive.

self-hosting the compiler took up all the time zach could have spent on optimising the cpu usage

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Stereotype posted:

works on my machine :smugdog::pipe:

also i think it all boils down to javascript so you can imagine the hell that would look like

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Stereotype posted:

Just finished the Berkeley level and I feel proud of myself even though I’m like last in the rankings.

this is a better game than Shenzhen IO even though it is similar, instruction limits were just so drat annoying. in this I feel like I’m writing state machines for the whole puzzle which is super fun.

well there are line limits, they are just really big. I hit the 50 line limit on the motorway sign level because I miscounted the number of letters and kept writing even wronger code trying to fix this. The line limit at least prompted me to go back and start again tho lol.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

*gets back from week long camping trip*
*does two tutorials*
*quits game and turns on summerslam*

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

my bitter bi rival posted:

*does two tutorials*

lol yeah I bought the game but I can't bring myself to play it on the weekends; i'm so burned out at my job I can't focus on anything more complicated than battlefield, the world's dumbest game.

I had an onsite last week though that went reasonably well so if I get that job I'm gonna take a week off to reset and probably play this a bit, I just need to get out of this funk :(

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
don't tell my employer but you can fairly accurately graph my mental health based on the commit history of my hobby poo poo.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also I kind of wish you could interact with words more in this game - swiz them to parse numbers, use inline constants instead of being forced to read from a file at start even if it never changes etc

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my bitter bi rival posted:

*does two tutorials*

ADINSX posted:

lol yeah I bought the game but I can't bring myself to play it on the weekends; i'm so burned out at my job I can't focus on anything more complicated than battlefield, the world's dumbest game.

I had an onsite last week though that went reasonably well so if I get that job I'm gonna take a week off to reset and probably play this a bit, I just need to get out of this funk :(

i like this game cos my job is boring enterprise poo poo and this is like fun assembly janitoring. whomst among us doesnt yearn for the time when that xor trick to swap two variables around in c was actually relevant

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
okay just did the atm one and figured it out pretty quick

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Stereotype posted:

okay just did the atm one and figured it out pretty quick

Did you just loop by 20, I keep meaning to go back to that one and unroll the loop until you hit the instructions limit. Otherwise it takes like a solid 5 mins to run the 100 tests

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gonadic io posted:

Did you just loop by 20, I keep meaning to go back to that one and unroll the loop until you hit the instructions limit. Otherwise it takes like a solid 5 mins to run the 100 tests

Maybe we're talking about different ones, but I just loaded the #CASH register into X and then looped copying 20 to #DISP until X=0. It takes awhile because there is lots of cash in those things I guess.

Also you make child EXAs to go do it so they're all done in parallel.

Is there a later ATM one?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Stereotype posted:

Maybe we're talking about different ones, but I just loaded the #CASH register into X and then looped copying 20 to #DISP until X=0. It takes awhile because there is lots of cash in those things I guess.

Also you make child EXAs to go do it so they're all done in parallel.

Is there a later ATM one?

we're talking about the same one.

when i say loop unrolling i mean instead of being like

is it 20
if yes dispense, loop
if no finish

i.e. you test the register once per $20

you can do
is it 200
if yes then dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense then loop
if no is it 20
if yes then dispense then loop
if no finish

then boom you've done 2 tests for $200 i.e. 0.2 tests per $20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gonadic io posted:

we're talking about the same one.

when i say loop unrolling i mean instead of being like

is it 20
if yes dispense, loop
if no finish

i.e. you test the register once per $20

you can do
is it 200
if yes then dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense, dispense then loop
if no is it 20
if yes then dispense then loop
if no finish

then boom you've done 2 tests for $200 i.e. 0.2 tests per $20

Ohhhh okay I get it, that's a lot more clever. That would be pretty trivial with 'generate' statements like in VHDL, then you just do like powers of two from the max (probably 512) downto zero?

Actually you could probably create a slave EXA that only toggles the dispense key and doesn't ever do tests, then a master EXA that keeps track of cycles and kills it when it gets close?

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 21, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gonadic io posted:

it didnt take more than 30 seconds but I believe thats just processor speed maybe

lol I have a huge amount of cycles compared to anyone else tho

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I did what I always do with these games which is come out too strong out of the gate then get burned out and not want to turn my desktop on for a while.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Stereotype posted:

Ohhhh okay I get it, that's a lot more clever. That would be pretty trivial with 'generate' statements like in VHDL, then you just do like powers of two from the max (probably 512) downto zero?

Actually you could probably create a slave EXA that only toggles the dispense key and doesn't ever do tests, then a master EXA that keeps track of cycles and kills it when it gets close?

do a few more levels and you'll get a tool to make stuff like that easier

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there a repository of people’s solutions? i have virtually no idea of how to optimise, until i see someone else’s solutions and then what they did seems obvious

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

it didnt take more than 30 seconds but I believe thats just processor speed maybe

lol I have a huge amount of cycles compared to anyone else tho

don't do a loop with subi then a test on x, just do a subi on T and loop a tjmp which will fall through when it's 0

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

gonadic io posted:

Also I kind of wish you could interact with words more in this game - swiz them to parse numbers, use inline constants instead of being forced to read from a file at start even if it never changes etc

can someone break down swizzing for a dumby like me

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
it lets you remap or mask the different digits in a number. so like you could divide by 10 by moving digit 4 to 3, 3 to 2, 2 to 1, and 1 to zip. likewise you could multiply by 10, or shove 4 small values in to on large number then read an individual value back out, reverse the digits, etc.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Bhodi posted:

don't do a loop with subi then a test on x, just do a subi on T and loop a tjmp which will fall through when it's 0

oh yeah someone said this trick a few pages ago and I forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

it lets you remap or mask the different digits in a number. so like you could divide by 10 by moving digit 4 to 3, 3 to 2, 2 to 1, and 1 to zip. likewise you could multiply by 10, or shove 4 small values in to on large number then read an individual value back out, reverse the digits, etc.

I was misunderstanding the operation but I think i see it now - the example said 6789 and a mask of 3333 gives you "7777", which made no sense to me until I realized the order of digits is 4321, not 1234. i get it now!!

• Locked thread