Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Tonegawa Ep 3 spoilers

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I love the Tonegawa anime, it's so good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is actually really good. It's both the definitive parody of FKMT's own manga and genuine observational comedy.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Nep-Nep posted:

I love the Tonegawa anime, it's so good.

it's absolutely amazing. I went on a FKMT binge. I read Strongest Legend Kurosawa, Ten (still reading because holy crap that's a lot of mahjong) , and now I'm watching Tonegawa. I have to admit, I found Fukumoto-sensei's art style off putting at first, but he has such a unique voice I've fallen for it. I'm really excited to dive into his other works.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Buraiden Gai is really good and can be read in an evening. It'd make an awesome live action movie

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Check out Tobaku Haōden Zero when you have a chance.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm still thinking about that cabbage

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It is actually really good. It's both the definitive parody of FKMT's own manga and genuine observational comedy.

I feel vindicated by it because I always felt somewhat ambivalent about Tonegawa's character. Don't get me wrong, he's a great character but there's this thing...

"Oh Tonegawa is so badass~~ look at him ranting about how millenials are living wrong, ah a such a manly role model!"

And then the Tonegawa anime is about pointing how full of poo poo he is and his ridiculous corporate life. Like getting salty about a coworker's powerpoint, gently caress yeah this is so great :jackbud:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

I feel vindicated by it because I always felt somewhat ambivalent about Tonegawa's character. Don't get me wrong, he's a great character but there's this thing...

"Oh Tonegawa is so badass~~ look at him ranting about how millenials are living wrong, ah a such a manly role model!"

And then the Tonegawa anime is about pointing how full of poo poo he is and his ridiculous corporate life. Like getting salty about a coworker's powerpoint, gently caress yeah this is so great :jackbud:

Hey, he's actually able to admit his employee had a better idea than him, give proper credit, and still to sell his value to the president.

In the cutthroat world of middle management, he is, in fact, so badass.

(On a more meta level, I love the stacking nature of the core gag. It's about the boring middle management layer behind high stakes death games... and then it treats the boring middle management layer as THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME OF ALL. You laugh because it treats something so mundane as dangerous, then you laugh as it treats something so dangerous mundanely.)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Everyone's deadpan pose in that shot is amazing :allears:

Fukumoto totally has a draft of human mahjong sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

he’s also against overtime

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The narrator saying Power Point gave me san damage

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Incredible episode this week lmao

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 1, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I was actually starting to be able to tell the Men in Black apart as well. Namely Saemon-Saburo and Yamazaki. But like Tonegawa can't tell a drat thing anymore.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I thought it was too late to make Matrix jokes about the men in black but here we are.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkWmAJAJB8

is it bad that I actually like the american narrator better than the japanese one

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Ignis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkWmAJAJB8

is it bad that I actually like the american narrator better than the japanese one

oof, that's rough dude.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/VamptVo/status/1028422341829775360

A new publishing company is working on english Kaiji releases. Here's to hoping it sells well enough to get the other Fukumoto series in the future.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is he holding a presentation in a school

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Fukumoto finally getting translated (and dubbed) officially in English.

I thought this day would never come.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Don't you need two women for scissors?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ha Ebitani is gone from the opening.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Davincie posted:

is he holding a presentation in a school

The announcement was this weekend, it didn't take place at the main Otakon stage but rather during a fan event called Otabrew (a gathering for otakon attendees to drink and nerd out).

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I believe in "EBI-ROLL"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

When I had a "job opportunity" turn out to be multi level marketing, I just claimed that I needed to go to the bathroom and ditched.

At last, something in life I can feel I handled more successfully than Tonegawa did. I mean, beyond not having to get hideous burns due to losing an ultra-high-stakes gambling game for the amusement of an insane billionaire.

Two things.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

tonegawa is a way better series than kaiji

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did i miss something, how did he get from shrimp to lobster

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Davincie posted:

Ebi is a word that covers a variety of shellfish

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Davincie posted:

I think lobsters are related to shirmp.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 22, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Claw Shrimp

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

This is from ages ago but why are there other comics on this cover? I always though Akagi was published in a mahjong magazine and not a collection of manga serials

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Those are other mahjong manga serialized in Kindai Mahjong magazine.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is mahjong a skeevy thing in japan? why the titties

chess magazines need some titties

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

instead of sex die they use mahjong tiles

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The narrator tries too hard and annoys me

It's kinda like the narrator is a real life Ebitani

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMkeJJYULA

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Solid episode of Tonegawa this week, I loved the lunch bit. :allears:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i love the brilliant mundanity of tonegawa's problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I was honestly shocked when it took Chang only one chapter to open up that locker