Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

He wants to survive and have a fun life eating the most interesting minds from these interesting times. Just hibernating for eternity in an empty cave might technically be survival, but it ain't living.

The bit where he hints at his motives is the bit where he wants to eat Sonorie and then she won't be sad or want anything anymore.

I almost entirely agree with this, but if he has a fully functional Ruck Knife he can actually tweak his interesting, tasty meals to generate more interesting scenarios and more tasty meals.

I don't think he has a particularly grand scheme regarding current human politics other than sipping the delicious memories of the leadership, but he has an agenda in using Blacktongue technology to feed his addiction.

edit committing doubleposting crimes to link the update:

double edit also Ruck seems to actually have a greedy, horrific sort of love for his prey until they're all used up, so he very likely actually does want to improve their quality of life by carving away their sorrows and making them more perfect people (who will then generate even more interesting memories)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm pretty sure Bastion is in his mid to older teens in the flashback but all I can see is a kid. It makes me sad.

This comic is very good at making me sad but keeping me coming back for more.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I think in one of the Q&A's, Ashley said that Ruck more or less just wants to see the whole story. He's been here since from the beginning, and the humans are best plot twist yet! Insofar as he has a grand master plan, I think it's just to feed the egos and ambitions of "great" people like Bell, Sonorie, and Bastion until they're perfect meals. If that eventually results in some apocalyptic, world-destroying war, so much the better! Then he can applaud the curtain call on the gods' creation, having been one of the few to see it from start to finish.

Kind of a metaphor for readers of stories, if you think about it. Who wants to read stories about happy, contented people who live their simple lives? Much better to read about horrible times and incredibly powerful, incredibly dysfunctional people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Links on my phone take effort but I think we just found out what Ash had to make a model for. :3:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The latest pages are really neat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The latest pages are really neat.

the "next" arrow on the first one owns

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
The page she posted on Friday also has a retroactive transition animation, so you should skip back to that to see it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

The page she posted on Friday also has a retroactive transition animation, so you should skip back to that to see it.

Oh, sweeeeeet

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Link to the previous page since you can't just go backwards from the current one. Also there's some hover text on button to get to the second page.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
holy moly, that is some poo poo

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Something about the hover text it's not safe to die is incredibly unsettling but I'm sure Cope has even worse wonders in store. :kheldragar:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, I know that name.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

There's a joke to be made here about Evil Elka and Evil Toma taking over for Elka and Toma but I can't figure out what it is

because Elka and Toma are dead of course

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ash you tease.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cool, there are two undead protagonists in the comic now.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
You'd hope SOMEONE would've gotten around to setting up some magical mopping spell on all that bird poop. Or that can be what those magical plods do in their off time from having to sing. I think they would appreciate a better job!

Bastion about to walk right in on Lizard With Too Many Names messing up Anadyne, we'll see if old friendship and being a bit of a jerk himself overcome the 'what the hell you think you doing you hosed up lizard leggo!' urge.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with Anadyne at the moment, but it's probably not the best.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-upHSP9KU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think i know how prakhuta got such terrible injuries. im surprised it wasnt entirely delicieu

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tollymain posted:

i think i know how prakhuta got such terrible injuries. im surprised it wasnt entirely delicieu

you mean the part where he says his own kind tried to 'cut the impurities out' because I'm pretty sure he wasn't being metaphorical.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_92.html
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_93.html
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_94.html

Well that certainly explains a few things.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I mean, I'm not trying to justify Cutter's ambition to genocide but he's completely correct in everything he says about Bastion.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Taking a break at the last hiatus in, like, february and then reading 98 pages in a single sitting was a glorious decision and one which I will be repeating. :magical:

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

From the comments asking what the blue juice is that Bastion keeps being force-fed:

Ashley posted:

Strychnine that won’t kill him. His signature torture juice. He used to torture the hell outta that kid right along with the two-toes, and didn’t see a great deal of difference between them when it came to fodder for his experimentation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I mean, I'm not trying to justify Cutter's ambition to genocide but he's completely correct in everything he says about Bastion.

he just said that bastion never did anything but stand by and watch, and we immediately get a flashback where bastion unsuccessfully tries to do in his teacher to save prakhuta

debates on relative morality aside, his memories are clearly being warped by the pain ghosts in his head

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah I find Ashley calling Bastion a worthless trashfire as a kid unconvincing.

He was a child at the mercy of an infinitely more powerful man. The gently caress do you really expect here? I mean yes obviously Bastion is a terrible person in the here and now but blaming Kid Bastion is weird.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

he just said that bastion never did anything but stand by and watch, and we immediately get a flashback where bastion unsuccessfully tries to do in his teacher to save prakhuta

debates on relative morality aside, his memories are clearly being warped by the pain ghosts in his head

Prakhuta was also quite possibly in a total fugue state at that juncture, assisted by said pain ghosts.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Oxxidation posted:

pretty much, but with a second layer of 'im just a little lizard and you're a powerful human wright (Which bastion clearly wasn't at the time)' basically there's a lot of grasping for the victim role here.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah I find Ashley calling Bastion a worthless trashfire as a kid unconvincing.

He was a child at the mercy of an infinitely more powerful man. The gently caress do you really expect here? I mean yes obviously Bastion is a terrible person in the here and now but blaming Kid Bastion is weird.

looking at her qna tumblr i dont think she actually thinks young bastion was a worthless trashfire of a person. im suspecting she means from prakhuta (and possibly bastion's) perspective.

i certainly see him as a trashfire in the sense of a general hosed-up mess tho lmao. why the hell did they put delicieu in charge of a kid, you'd think they'd have seen this coming

Motherfucker posted:

you mean the part where he says his own kind tried to 'cut the impurities out' because I'm pretty sure he wasn't being metaphorical.

nah actually i somehow missed that specific page and i was looking at where the pain spirits were placing their hands on prakhuta. which happened to coincide w his horrible scars as far as i could see. i guess they knew it would happen in time, maybe? or im just reaching who knows

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Doesn't this comic just have the nicest av material?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I feel really bad for Bastion as a kid and I can see how he got from that point to his level of terrible in the comic. It's all about how pain poisons and warps if it isn't addressed and treated, it's just a little more literal for some characters like Prakhuta. Bastion feels so guilty over being 'complicit' in what happened to Prakhuta and the other lizards that he spends 20 years trying to make up for it, but all he's actually doing is enabling Prakhuta, and there's nothing he can do to make up for what Delicieu did, and it's not even his thing to make up for, because he was as victimized as the lizards, the difference is as a human he can blend in to society afterwards if he wants to.

IDK, there's something really sad about being so desperate to make up for something that wasn't your fault and was actually you getting horribly abused that you do a bunch of stuff that actually, like, is your fault and ruin other people's lives. The most I can say is that Bastion is realizing just how much he hosed up and trying to work out how to fix it, but there's some stuff you can't fix and there's a lot of stuff I don't think he sees as problems to fix.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 24, 2018

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I'm currently trying to work out the timeline of Bastion and Cutter post-Delicieu.

So Cutter gets his human soul and kills Delicieu. He then goes back to his people to try and work out a peace between them and the humans, but it doesn't work and they mark him instead. At some point he steals Delicieu's research and soul maps. It seems like he continues Delicieu's research and even publishes to the Black Tongues under Delicieu's name, maybe? Rahm seems to talk about him as an active member, but Delicieu's had to have been dead for over a decade at this point. http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch08/ch08_27.html

Cutter must have come up with the silver eel as a theory before having access to the Sharteshanian silver cache that Jab Beadman stole, which means that the cache was stolen specifically to turn it into the eel. Since Cutter and Bastion have been working in concert with General Bell for some time now, it raises the question was shopping the silver to the Queen a false flag on behalf of Bell, who knew she'd refuse it and then use that fact to hammer her in the court of popular opinion? He definitely seems to be set on moving it into Alderode, like Ilganyag shows Duane.

But given how Duane and the silver eel resonate, were Cutter and Bastion designing them together, or did Cutter figure out a clever exploit using Duane? I mean, Bastion very carefully set Duane up to be shipped to the eel, using Sette as bait - whatever Sette really is, I don't think Bastion has a clue that she''s as special as she seems to be. When Bastion was talking to Rahm about Duane he made it sound like it was a spur of the moment thing he'd done after being hired to murder Duane, but he may have been lying because he knew Rahm would not be down with the whole 'let's overthrow the queen in favor of a psychotic religious fundamentalist military regime! If it goes wrong I'll just start murdering people till it's fine again! Nothing I can't solve with a little more murder!' plan.

Also I got money on Bastion bailing out of the eel without even lifting a single finger to try and help Anadyne. He may have been abused as a child but he sure sucks rear end as an adult.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I'm currently trying to work out the timeline of Bastion and Cutter post-Delicieu.

So Cutter gets his human soul and kills Delicieu. He then goes back to his people to try and work out a peace between them and the humans, but it doesn't work and they mark him instead. At some point he steals Delicieu's research and soul maps. It seems like he continues Delicieu's research and even publishes to the Black Tongues under Delicieu's name, maybe? Rahm seems to talk about him as an active member, but Delicieu's had to have been dead for over a decade at this point. http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch08/ch08_27.html

Cutter must have come up with the silver eel as a theory before having access to the Sharteshanian silver cache that Jab Beadman stole, which means that the cache was stolen specifically to turn it into the eel. Since Cutter and Bastion have been working in concert with General Bell for some time now, it raises the question was shopping the silver to the Queen a false flag on behalf of Bell, who knew she'd refuse it and then use that fact to hammer her in the court of popular opinion? He definitely seems to be set on moving it into Alderode, like Ilganyag shows Duane.

But given how Duane and the silver eel resonate, were Cutter and Bastion designing them together, or did Cutter figure out a clever exploit using Duane? I mean, Bastion very carefully set Duane up to be shipped to the eel, using Sette as bait - whatever Sette really is, I don't think Bastion has a clue that she''s as special as she seems to be. When Bastion was talking to Rahm about Duane he made it sound like it was a spur of the moment thing he'd done after being hired to murder Duane, but he may have been lying because he knew Rahm would not be down with the whole 'let's overthrow the queen in favor of a psychotic religious fundamentalist military regime! If it goes wrong I'll just start murdering people till it's fine again! Nothing I can't solve with a little more murder!' plan.

Also I got money on Bastion bailing out of the eel without even lifting a single finger to try and help Anadyne. He may have been abused as a child but he sure sucks rear end as an adult.

Sounds about right although it sounds like the eel was Cutter's idea that Bastion was mainly running interference for him on, and he made pretty clear previously he agreed to do Duane in the first place just for the chance to get hold of a fresh tacit caster corpse.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well that's kinda interesting.

Ashley just posted a pic on her patreon called "Seed of Evil".

It's a picture of Lady Ilganyag holding a baby Sette.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Called it. Bastion spent the entire scene with Anadyne getting actively tortured in the background and didn't do a single goddamn thing about it. Spent the entire scene trying to talk Cutter down off the ledge instead. Bastion sucks real real bad you guys.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Called it. Bastion spent the entire scene with Anadyne getting actively tortured in the background and didn't do a single goddamn thing about it. Spent the entire scene trying to talk Cutter down off the ledge instead. Bastion sucks real real bad you guys.

I did not realize that this was in question, just the particular nature of how he sucked. It being unfair to say he didn't try to help Prakhuta when he was a kid or to blame him for that doesn't mean that he doesn't suck now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
black tongues dont interfere with each other

even if he doesnt consider himself one, id imagine its still force of habit

e: not to say its excusable, but its not like hes just ignoring her because hes a callous bastard, hes ignoring her because hes more concerned about prakhuta (in multiple senses lmao)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Bastion isn't a totally good guy anymore than anyone in the story is. Even if he had some really great purpose for it he set up turning Duane into an undead monstrosity.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
We don't even know how many unsuccessful (or worse, partially-successful) living corpses he managed to create before Duane. Based on one of the flashbacks we've seen, he seems to have been present during the hit. Probably not a coincidence.

Cutter's a monster but he's got him pegged. "You do bad things but think it's okay because you feel really sad about it later."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

What scenario is there where he tries to rescue Anadyne that doesn't result in him being torn apart by the silver beast he's inside of? The very same silver beast that pymary doesn't work on, mind you.

His only shot at helping anyone lies in trying to talk Prakhuta down.

He's still a dirt bag, though.