Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
I back into every space no matter what.

I also drive around for 30 minutes sometimes looking for a spot against a wall or curb so I can park as close as possible to it and leave a gap on the other side.

I don't give a gently caress if I'm holding someone up for 15 seconds. Sorry, but my car's safety is way more important than someone needing to gun it through a parking lot/garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah sometimes there just isn't enough space to make a wide turn into the spot, so reversing is the only way to get in other than perhaps making a multiple point turn in. Same reason you reverse when parallel parking.

My theory is cargo-cult signing carried over from parking garages where it actually matters, e.g. garages with 1-way circulation and angled spaces. If you back in when the spaces around you are empty, when you go to leave you're going to have a bad time and maybe end up driving the wrong way in the garage.

The other garage we just put up signs had 'no back-in parking' signs so let's write our proposal to do the same here. It's also more signs and we get paid more that way.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Javid posted:

There's a reason a lot of forklifts have the rear wheels steer.

Right, because a solid axle can take a lot more weight than a similar sized steer axle.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

In downtown Akron near the baseball stadium all the street parking is angled back-in only and it's great. The spaces are wide enough that I could almost parallel park my Fiesta in them so anyone can easily swing basically anything in, then no one has to be backing out in to traffic or making an eleventy point attempt at parallel parking. I wish all street parking was like that, though it definitely takes up a lot more of the road than traditional parking configurations would.

That's because Akron sucks and there's tons of parking because no one wants to be there.

Source: grew up really close to Akron.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nocheez posted:

That's because Akron sucks and there's tons of parking because no one wants to be there.

Source: grew up really close to Akron.

Actually it's quite the opposite anymore, and it's only going to get worse in the coming years. They have long term plans of revamping downtown with more retail/restaurants at the street level and apartments/student housing above.

If you're going somewhere downtown you pretty much have to pick between the deck between the stadium and lock 3 on State street or the one at the corner of East Market and North High, unless you're willing to walk several blocks or get lucky and find an on-street space.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have two people at work who back in. One is a former semi mechanic who does it in one go. The other is a 90+ year old man who takes forever.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

slurry_curry posted:

Are there forklifts without rear wheel steering? I have driven my fair share and never seen one.

And I pretty much have to back my ls430 into parking spots since it's so huge. And because parking spots keep getting smaller. I swear it barely fits width wise into most of the non-compact spots around here. Add to that the fact no one else gives a gently caress about parking between the lines, it takes me forever to find one I can actually fit in.

Telehandlers, but that's because a decent number of them are four wheel steer. and the armature connects to the rear of the vehicle with the hydraulic ram somwhere amidships.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/McQsP7x.mp4

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
This is the right place to pull over when a cop flashes his lights at you, right? You wouldn't want to go another 50 yards and get on the shoulder instead of blocking an onramp.

I debated honking, but couldn't decide if it would annoy the cop.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Waiting for a safe shoulder to pull over is how you get, at best, screamed at for an extended period, assuming it doesn't just get you arrested.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cop should have used his loudspeaker to tell the driver to go somewhere safer. He's just as big an idiot as the person getting pulled over.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m on a one lane bridge waiting for my turn (custom is everyone in one direction goes, then the other direction, not one car each direction). Someone on the other side goes, so the lady behind me takes off into the bridge and has a standoff with the other car until they back up the entire way.

I’m all for putting someone in their place when they act the fool, but uh, this seems extreme.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Being the US, you'll probably get shot as soon as you stop the car anyway so might as well get it over with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's effective population control, commit minor traffic infraction, get riddled with bullets. Someone gets to buy a new car too so it supports capitalism!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Being the US, you'll probably get shot as soon as you stop the car anyway so might as well get it over with.

Yeah, that's how it usually works.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m on a one lane bridge waiting for my turn (custom is everyone in one direction goes, then the other direction, not one car each direction). Someone on the other side goes, so the lady behind me takes off into the bridge and has a standoff with the other car until they back up the entire way.

I’m all for putting someone in their place when they act the fool, but uh, this seems extreme.

Could be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TR4iBC_iaw

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

xzzy posted:

Cop should have used his loudspeaker to tell the driver to go somewhere safer. He's just as big an idiot as the person getting pulled over.

The first time I ever got pulled over was on the Atlantic City Expressway, and I stopped on the shoulder maybe 200 feet before an exit ramp because I was like 19 and scared and didn't know any better.

State Trooper got on his speaker and very angrily told me to pull forward, like you're saying.

He was super nice after that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Waiting for a safe shoulder to pull over is how you get, at best, screamed at for an extended period, assuming it doesn't just get you arrested.

When I was a younger, stupider man, I got caught speeding home after midnight on a road that I thought didn't have anywhere safe to pull off. Square-sided curbs, and big berms on either side for noise mitigation. So I just kept driving. For two minutes. With the cop's lights flashing behind me the whole time. Like I said, stupid. Eventually I made it to a stoplight and corner, and I pulled around the corner fully intending to take my medicine... and the fuckin' cop drove off.

I always wondered if I woulda got a ticket if I had stopped earlier.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
It's possible he wasn't after you at all, you just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time when he lit up to respond to another call.

Granted you were there and I don't know the full sequence of events.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

I once got lit up for speeding once - 65 in a 50. (There was a sign for the new speed limit, which I missed) It was raining out, so rather than pulling over immediately I put my hazards on, slowed down and eventually stopped under an overpass.

I got a lecture but no ticket because the trooper didn't have to get wet :)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I thought I'd posted this before but I guess not.

In 2008 I went through trucking/cdl school. One of the days involved an actual ranking state trooper coming in and giving a couple hours long "how to deal with cops" class. One of the points he stressed was "if a cruiser lights you up and it isn't safe to pull over, don't, kick on your hazards and/or acknowledge you see them somehow and proceed until you can safely clear the lane".

Guess how it went over when I did exactly that to an officer of the exact same agency like a month later. Guess.

forehead vein bulging, spittle flinging, screaming rage once I found a proper turnout and stopped

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

That's when you call a couple tow trucks & the police, arrest both morons & take their cars to impound. Teach them & any other idiots watching a lesson - stubborn assholes don't get anywhere & don't get their way by acting like children.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Seriously. That video is like Driving_in_England.mp4 - in the US, having the cops intervene would probably have been the best-case scenario there.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
once when I was cashiering, I was on cart duty and they made me go deal with a similar situation in the parking lot. The two women moved almost immediately, I guess the shame of an early 20s kid who looked younger saying "can we all be grown-ups here?" was enough for them to back down.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

What even happened here?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

What even happened here?

Distilled idiocy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ArbitraryC posted:

What even happened here?

I can just barely see the woman's point. Obviously she was being unreasonable and stupid, but the police should've been called, she should've received a minor citation for being a dipshit, and the moron who was unable to safely back up 10 feet without guidance should have his driving license pulled because allowing him to continue driving puts everyone else on the road at risk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8GBH6aiRc&t=46s

These are the conflagrations you share a road with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"We need to replace your air filter, it's completely black."

"Ummmm I don't want to do that right now, how long you think I can leave it in there?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PT6A posted:

I can just barely see the woman's point. Obviously she was being unreasonable and stupid, but the police should've been called, she should've received a minor citation for being a dipshit, and the moron who was unable to safely back up 10 feet without guidance should have his driving license pulled because allowing him to continue driving puts everyone else on the road at risk.

I had that happen once on Queens Park Bridge which is an old, one lane bridge near where I used to live.

The way it's supposed to work is that as you approach, you look to see if anyone is one the bridge and give way to them. Then you go.

So, I was about almost all the way across the bridge, and past the trestles, when this lady in a giant SUV filled with kids blows straight through the give way markings on the road and almost drives right into me. Cue a five minute shitfit from her about how I was in the wrong and there was no way she was going to reverse the 10m I needed to get past, but she insisted I reverse the entire length of the bridge for her.

Thankfully, I got lucky and several others cars pulled up behind me on the bridge and together we (and her kids) shamed her into reversing.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 21, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PT6A posted:

nah the woman was a dumbass too, and her pulling back would have been the best solution, even if she was in the right. There was a line of cars behind her and just the 1 car in front of her. I'm really shocked nobody immediately called the police. I also think they both would have both gotten more than a minor citation - what if there had been emergency vehicles behind her? A lot of people were yelling about how they were trying to go pick up their kids from school.

This wouldn't have made it past 5 minutes in the US, although I would love to see a video of a similar situation where some guy in an H3 emerges from the line of cars and just pushes both idiots out of the tunnel.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody with way too much time on their hands found the tunnel:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5195427,-0.7134834,3a,74y,351.12h,84.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHMNaRM94X1_huzzNkguC0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The lady does have priority, but it seems like he was already almost through the tunnel so she should've let him exit it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8GBH6aiRc&t=46s

These are the conflagrations you share a road with.

Why would you get out? loving drive that poo poo as far as it will take you, drive on the wheels if your tires blow. Crank the AC and use the vehicle as insulation for as long as possible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why would you get out? loving drive that poo poo as far as it will take you, drive on the wheels if your tires blow. Crank the AC and use the vehicle as insulation for as long as possible.

Watched too many movies, kid was babbling about the car blowing up. That's not how fuel works doofus.. you'd be medium-rare before temperatures get high enough for it to autoignite.

Just don't park on top of a burning log I guess.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Watched too many movies, kid was babbling about the car blowing up. That's not how fuel works doofus.. you'd be medium-rare before temperatures get high enough for it to autoignite.

It's a known fact that once the engine block reaches a certain temperature, it will just explode.

(Probably true for some cars...)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy posted:

To fair, that also includes every single TV show ever.

I don't think I have seen a car crash on TV that didn't result in an explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9GGDOUDLhc

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

xzzy posted:

"We need to replace your air filter, it's completely black."

"Ummmm I don't want to do that right now, how long you think I can leave it in there?"

I had an E250 come in for check engine light on, loss of power diagnosis a while back. Random company owned work vehicle. The codes showed "running rich" and it would barely accelerate above 2000 rpm. Their air filter was completely clogged, and I do mean clogged, like I have rarely seen in all my years working on all types of machines. But, the easiest, and cheapest fix of all, for a van that ran that poorly. You would think the company would be happy to get it back so cheaply.

Nope, they declined the new air filter, so I put that cone of muck back in the airbox. At least I got paid for my diag.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Path blocked by burning log that had crossed the road, they wound up backing out and getting rescued by park services via boat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MrLogan posted:

This is the right place to pull over when a cop flashes his lights at you, right? You wouldn't want to go another 50 yards and get on the shoulder instead of blocking an onramp.

I debated honking, but couldn't decide if it would annoy the cop.

I got lit up on a long section of road with no shoulders, no right turns, and a divider. I was in the far right lane and about to go into one of those blocked in lanes where you can skip the light; this meant I had to drive for a good block and a half with a cop following me.

Next available spot was the police academy, on the opposite side of the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That reminds me of when I was getting pulled over for doing 40 in a 30 in Norfolk Virginia. I got caught right before an intersection and the light was red. It was really awkward sitting in the left turn lane with a cop knowingly waiting for you to pull over after the turn.

But I actually got lucky. Some idiot in the lane to the right decided to turn left right in front of me and the cop, WHO HAD HIS LIGHTS ON. The cop followed the guy and pulled him over right after the turn. I slowly creeped up to the now engaged cop sitting in his car who proceeded to give me a thumbs up and an ushering motion to let me know I was good.