Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr. Pool posted:

when you have a big group of dudes and everyone has very different run speed due to athletics/encumbrance just select everyone and have them follow the slowest npc, boom, orderly caravan

There is a setting on the bottom right that does this for you. It looks like a person walking/running. If you have everyone selected, change it to the picture of two people. That matches everyones speed to the lowest speed member with no loving about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I prefer the follow method myself else sometimes one of your dudes get in water somewhere and everyone is walking at 6 mph turtle speed. It gets even worse when a shek gets in water, they're even slower at swimming.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Where do you get your first medkit? It seems like the Hub just has the bar and no other shops, and they did not have one.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Where do you get your first medkit? It seems like the Hub just has the bar and no other shops, and they did not have one.

Follow people around until you find some dickhead bleeding out into the dirt with one on him, or walk on over to Squin once you can outrun bandits.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dogstile posted:

I think quest stuff will come as a very last sort of thing. The guy hasn't even finished the map (although what he has made is astounding, i love how different the swamp, border, wetlands, etc all feel).

They could use with some early game guidance and jobs, but the freedom is key. I was talking to a friend and he was on the threat of starvation because he'd gotten his group far to big (20 people or so) without any way to feed them.

He ended up getting his shittier guys knocked out near slavers and those dudes are now all in rebirth, while his smaller group adventures. Its a really clever solution and I love poo poo like that, especially because the game doesn't really go "hey, fuckface, rescue your friends" in the quest log. It's just part of his story.

I assume by the time he actually rescues them they'll be buff as hell.

Getting your guys enslaved is pretty much a fully fleshed out cornerstone of the game. Kenshi doesn't really have conventional 'talk to a and fetch 10 of z' quests, but being a slave is an entire questline. I used to try to avoid it, but it's a really easy way to often get a bunch of stronger recruits.

Random Kenshi tip: have your guy carry around bodies literally any time you don't have an explicit reason not to. You'll gain so much strength like this.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Getting your guys enslaved is pretty much a fully fleshed out cornerstone of the game. Kenshi doesn't really have conventional 'talk to a and fetch 10 of z' quests, but being a slave is an entire questline. I used to try to avoid it, but it's a really easy way to often get a bunch of stronger recruits.

Random Kenshi tip: have your guy carry around bodies literally any time you don't have an explicit reason not to. You'll gain so much strength like this.

I currently have a guy carrying a dead body and an inventory filled with iron ore back and forth between hub and the shek towns. 50% str growth at all times. Sometimes he gets his rear end kicked by bandits but most of the time he's just playing the rocky theme song while walking around.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I currently have a guy carrying a dead body and an inventory filled with iron ore back and forth between hub and the shek towns. 50% str growth at all times. Sometimes he gets his rear end kicked by bandits but most of the time he's just playing the rocky theme song while walking around.

christ you guys

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

christ you guys

Yeah, i use a dead skeleton.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

buglord posted:

christ you guys

Trying hard now
It's so hard now
Trying hard now
Gettin' strong now
Coming on, now
Gettin' strong now
Gonna fly now
Flyin' high now
Gonna fly, fly, fly

*flies buzzing.wav*

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Lookit that exciting fast paced gameplay

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lookit that exciting fast paced gameplay

Most of that kind of stuff is things you run in the background while you are doing something else. A dude hauling a corpse between towns is not something you just sit and watch. Stick em in another squad and check on them from time to time.

The game is definitely not fast paced tho. You have to be the right kind of autist to enjoy it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord
Twice now I've left my camp of 10 people to wander off on my own across the map. Both times I've noticed that my bases don't get raided while im gone. Are "unloaded" areas effectively paused? On one hand, my food supplies are lower when I return, so it seems like something is still going on. But the constant skin-spider raids seemingly halt when im far way enough.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
TIL there is actually inter-party banter with unique NPCs

Izumi and Riddly just had a bizarre and hilarious convo with Beep about human gender lol

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah the getting a skeleton early advice is poo poo if you dont know what your doing, it sure is great not knowing where anything is and accidentally traveling to holy lands to find medkits with a skele party member

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I might install a reduced xp mod next play through because once you understand the mechanics pretty well the game is really easy to get established in. That or I might start trying to quasi speedrun the game from whatever start to killing eyegore (the hardest enemy in the game afaict). Killing Phoenix would be easier, but Eyegore adds a few more steps and a bit more challenge. IDK yet.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Most of that kind of stuff is things you run in the background while you are doing something else. A dude hauling a corpse between towns is not something you just sit and watch. Stick em in another squad and check on them from time to time.

The game is definitely not fast paced tho. You have to be the right kind of autist to enjoy it.

poo poo that applies to Kenshi in general. It's p much best played while doing something else (like getting caught up on tv or reading forums or some poo poo). IMO that's not even a bad thing it's part of the charm. Besides, when you do suit everyone up and go on a ~serious expedition~ the game is entirely engaging. Every time I open it I play for a lot longer than I intend to.

buglord posted:

Twice now I've left my camp of 10 people to wander off on my own across the map. Both times I've noticed that my bases don't get raided while im gone. Are "unloaded" areas effectively paused? On one hand, my food supplies are lower when I return, so it seems like something is still going on. But the constant skin-spider raids seemingly halt when im far way enough.

There's an option to not have non-focused areas even load (which likely does that), but I've noticed that areas don't seem to load in until you've switched focus to a character there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I generally have Kenshi up while i'm playing DBD with friends. If I go out early I can basebuild or some poo poo.

Currently not keen on having to reimport the game to get all the research done, but apparently that might not be a problem once the map is fully open.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I mean reimporting is currently bugged for a lot of people on the current/experimental build so that doubly might not be a problem. IDK if it is only for some games or more widely experienced, but some people are having imports lead to all their buildings being totally empty.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

buglord posted:

You definitely can get raided while doing this, but there might be a reduced chance of it happening. Alternately, you may just be getting lucky.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I mean reimporting is currently bugged for a lot of people on the current/experimental build so that doubly might not be a problem. IDK if it is only for some games or more widely experienced, but some people are having imports lead to all their buildings being totally empty.

I'm not on experimental and its been fine for me so far, luckily!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There should be some kind of setting to let raiders actually ransack the place instead of just looking for my food barrel. Damage my equipment and structures please.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There should be some kind of setting to let raiders actually ransack the place instead of just looking for my food barrel. Damage my equipment and structures please.

please let that be just a setting.

How much development time does this game have left? Judging by their website, the game is mostly done. But big chunks of it still seem missing, and the Steam Store page has it listed as Alpha still.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Feature list is apparently about 90-95% done. Next map section is also apparently close to finish and will be out soon, then it is just bugs and a couple last features.

IIRC the biggest feature still to be implemented before release is to have cities/settlements/factions react more to changes in ownership and deaths of leaders.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

buglord posted:

please let that be just a setting.

How much development time does this game have left? Judging by their website, the game is mostly done. But big chunks of it still seem missing, and the Steam Store page has it listed as Alpha still.

Supposedly the last 1/4 of the map will open and the game will go to 1.0 release later this year but idk if that's still the case.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I doubt we'll be seeing 1.0 this year but they've been pretty good about patches so far. Lead dev hasn't slowed down a bit since he started this project years ago, I think the only real length of time between updates or fixes came when he stopped to do some crowdfunding to increase the size of his team, it used to be a solo effort.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Finally got off the ground financially by going on a crazy theft spree, I do like that If they catch you you can still grab everything you can carry and bolt.
Game is real interesting, definitely steep learning curve.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord
My character is doing the naruto run while sneaking now :catstare:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any mods I really should install before first playing?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I made a cheat character who was basically the Wanderer start, but with bonkers strength and dex and 100 Martial Arts

Playing this game as Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star is highly recommended

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Are there any mods I really should install before first playing?

Dark UI is really the only critical one imo

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I started a new game, appearing as a wanderer in the ruined city of Hub. I stole some water and rum that people had left carelessly lying around, then headed north to investigate this 'lone shack' map marker. Along the way I found a rebel bar and a group of bandits, I led the bandits back to the bar to get beaten up then nicked their weapons and armour and sold them to the barkeep. Finding nothing at the lone shack I decided to head to the city of Squin, but along the way I encountered a group of bonedog puppies who rent me limb from limb.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I started my ironman game. I'm the son of a UC captain in this one, so I started with a decent sword and some shoddy armour, the UC like me, the holy nation hates me.

Immediately made my way down to Squin and was set upon by hungry bandits, who were in turn attacked by dust bandits, who were in turn close enough to the Squin guards that they ran through and murdered everyone.

Managed to get myself a couple of junk bows from the dust bandits and some standard grade bandit armour for myself. Sold what we could before the slavers made off with two bandit patrols worth of slaves (dudes made a loving payday, would have followed them around if they weren't headed up to HN territory).

Bought mercs and a trader backpack with the weapons and took them to a couple of bonedog camps. My guys are levelling up their crossbow skills while the mercs take over once the dogs get close. Made a cool 8k from skins. Hired a second group of mercs (first group was starting to look pretty wounded) and took both down to the exile camp where noted Sh(r)ek Tora the fearless was hiding.

Took out a few skin spiders on the way. Hobbs has been knocked out 3 times at this point. I'm still fine, they're not aggroing on me. Hobbs goes down in the fighting again (for fucks sake, least he's getting tougher).

The mercs go in and clear the camp after a pretty huge battle. After the fighting is done I loot the good quality swords and armour, dump a bunch on hobb's unconscious body, give him some martial artist bindings instead of his lovely shirt, heal up Tora so she doesn't die on the way back and then we slowly walk back up to waystation.

Another dog camp is just outside of it, Hobbs goes down again. At this point I can't pick him up and put him inside, Tora is on my shoulders. I leave him to the elements and go back to Squin to turn in my bounty and use my new funds from both the bounty and the weapons to buy a ruined house. I'll rebuild it, this will be where I do my early research and store this quite frankly ridiculous amount of food that i've managed to find (thanks mercs!)

Hobb's wakes up and stumbles into waystation to rest. He buys another trader backpack, he'll stumble back when he feels better.

All in all, a good night and a good start.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 22, 2018

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
How does the sales counter work? I have one in my big house in Hub, have kept building open and someone in it but it doesn't seem to have attracted any customers.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

How does the sales counter work? I have one in my big house in Hub, have kept building open and someone in it but it doesn't seem to have attracted any customers.

it doesnt

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
sneaking while swimming alongside some enemies on the shore is a p great way to level sneak

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
I bought this game and I blame this thread for my decision. If that proves effective I may scapegoat this thread for unrelated topics as well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've managed to recruit Bard and Ruka on my Ironman game and i've spent my fortune amassed from my bounty hunting/animal slaughter on books and building materials to build the house and get the first level of tech all done. I also managed to buy hemp in Squin and research that, which is weird because i'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Mining in Squin is dangerous. I sent Bard and Ruka outside and every single time i've tried, they've been beset upon by hordes of hungry bandits. Everyone's toughness is going up super quick. The dust bandits dropping like flies to the guards have been a boon too, now my four person group all has standard grade junk-bows and a good supply of toothpicks. Our dex is going up pretty fast now. Hobbs is getting better at martial arts! He now does 7 damage a hit! :toot:

I did reload due to a bug, I got jumped by some hungry bandits and some slave mongers came in once we'd won and patched up. As we started walking away some garru attacked them and it turned me hostile to the slave mongers? (-50 relations immediately) which was weird but whatever.

Next step is to build some beds in my townhouse and figure out what i'm going to do to make money next. For now i'm going to continue trying to mine outside the city while I research, then I suppose its off to ruins or something. I need a Garru.

E: Oh, the house also has a stove, a table, four stools and a food barrel. Ruka is our cook.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 23, 2018

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I have builded my first outpust near the Hub, as it looks to be the easiest area with only some hungry bandits which I can easily fend off (and once a Prayer day came). As far as I understood this is the newbee area, as down south I got trashed by stronger fauna/bandits.
However I noticed i basically cannot grow anything other than wheatstraw. Is it feasible to create another outpust down like in the swaps where i can grow more stuff like rice? I mean if there is a way to move stuff between outposts without actively carrying it (like an automatic job of moving between two containers)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think, technically yeah you can through little outposts. You don't want to though, your guy moving it will get jumped and he will die.

I would suggest once you're ready, just move closer to the swamps. Make sure you have enough materials to get walls up immediately. Bases however are not safe early game. You're going to get attacked by bandit groups. They will gently caress you up if you don't have protection (i have mercs early game, they're pretty good, the waystation merc group in squin can handle most of what the game throws at you).

The benefit of mercs is that while they say they'll loot the enemy, i've only seen the captain (who had no armour) loot a cloth rag thing off of a hungry bandit. They pay for themselves if you get attacked.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 23, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The squin mercs told me to gently caress off for being a Greenlander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lone Badger posted:

The squin mercs told me to gently caress off for being a Greenlander.

Is that a squin merc or a squin follower? I think the followers do that.

I mean the waystation just slightly south, merc groups don't care what race you are.