Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't care that this ruins the bad wordplay, his name is kay rule and always will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they say kay rule in the english version of the same video.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
The K stands for Kay

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

American McGay posted:

Video games are good, imho. If you're a brokebrained weirdo who likes to just complain about poo poo might I suggest the Games forum.

i agree with the sentiment. but im not really bothered if someone insults saints row 3 either. personally im just grateful people are still making regular videogames and it hasnt completely turned into HD ports and gacha yet. even yoko taro is making mobile games to fund his work .. so these ports and stuff, well, if it makes them some money, whats it to me.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

smash bros brawl was good

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

drat k rool looks sick

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

It's nice that saints row is coming to switch because now Nintendo diehards and people who can't afford multiple consoles can play it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
looking forward to the humble nindie bundle including saints row 3 in the $1 tier and never downloading it

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

elf help book posted:

looking forward to the humble nindie bundle including saints row 3 in the $1 tier and never downloading it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thinking about getting monhun Switch but worried I may actually never sleep again if I play two different monhun games at once.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

Thinking about getting monhun Switch but worried I may actually never sleep again if I play two different monhun games at once.

Generations is good but man it would be so hard to go back from World even if the core of the game is the same. It is an obscene amount of content though, there are some reskins but it's basically a greatest hits of all monster hunter games so that's to be expected. Also the Style system is super fun and basically gives you 4 different ways to play every weapon type which expands the game dramatically -- idk what got changed for XX but yeah it would be hard to go back to the 3DS version of Generations

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Idk I would say do everything there is to do in World and then if you still need more grab XX. It's a good game but it won't hold up well if you're playing World at the same time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I loved 4U but could never play it for more than like an hour bc of the 3ds hardware. I don't think I would mind the old school BS too much bc at least the Switch has a second analog stick.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hes game boy color snake

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I unlocked Darker Side I’m Super Mario Odyssey... this game is going to murder me

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Odyssey is so drat good

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I unlocked Darker Side I’m Super Mario Odyssey... this game is going to murder me
The crazy thing is I had pretty much the same reaction when I first encountered it but now I could probably boot the game up for the first time in 6 months and finish it first try. It's amazing how powerful the gamer brain can become.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I can get up to the part where you have to hit the scarecrow with Cappy and navigate as the wall pieces come out without taking any damage but that part just fucks me up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

The crazy thing is I had pretty much the same reaction when I first encountered it but now I could probably boot the game up for the first time in 6 months and finish it first try. It's amazing how powerful the gamer brain can become.

I had more trouble with at least three of the moons from Dark Side than I did with the gauntlet, as well as two of the koopa races. The boss gauntlet gave me more trouble than the gauntlet level, but I think I was just having a bad day when I played it. Also the bullet bill one in Dark Side and the tank one are way harder IMO

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

anyway,

elf help book posted:

Odyssey is so drat good

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I can get up to the part where you have to hit the scarecrow with Cappy and navigate as the wall pieces come out without taking any damage but that part just fucks me up

Once you figure out the pattern you'll never have trouble with it again.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Over There posted:

Once you figure out the pattern you'll never have trouble with it again.

I got close the last time I tried

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I think I’m getting a switch for my birthday this weekend and im doing some research and I’m surprised to see that Nintendo isn’t trying to sell me all the old (s)nes games through the eshop. Am I bad at reading about video games or can I really not pay $5 for Castlevania for the 3rd time?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Their paid online service launching in like two weeks (wow this is soon) is going to have a Netflix style library of NES games but beyond that, no old games on switch yet

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I think I’m getting a switch for my birthday this weekend and im doing some research and I’m surprised to see that Nintendo isn’t trying to sell me all the old (s)nes games through the eshop. Am I bad at reading about video games or can I really not pay $5 for Castlevania for the 3rd time?

You really can't. The subscription to the paid online service launching soon will include access to some NES games, updated with online MP and leaderboard support, but that's the closest thing to "virtual console" on the Switch. One would like to think they'd expand that to SNES games eventually but who knows lol.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

theres a few other companies doing their own things with arcade games between arcade archives, johnny turbo, and namco has a collection

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

Their paid online service launching in like two weeks (wow this is soon) is going to have a Netflix style library of NES games but beyond that, no old games on switch yet
It's officially "2nd half of September" now so probably more like 4 weeks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

At first I was kind of grumpy about the subscription service, but actually, it's like $20 for the year, which is less than they'd charge for the remakes I'd be willing to buy again. I think it'll depend on what the library is and if they expand into SNES, but even being able to play SMB3 online with a friend is worth at least $10

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Huh I’m kind of torn. I really like the security blanket of the 20 games I always like to have on hand (without switching consoles) but otoh I’m almost 40 with 3 kids and can barely scrape together an hour a day for games so I should probably focus on all the good new things that are about to be available.

Any essentials other than Odyssey and BoTW?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm a Splatoon 2 freak but if you're not a multiplayer gamer I can't really recommend it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Huh I’m kind of torn. I really like the security blanket of the 20 games I always like to have on hand (without switching consoles) but otoh I’m almost 40 with 3 kids and can barely scrape together an hour a day for games so I should probably focus on all the good new things that are about to be available.

Any essentials other than Odyssey and BoTW?
Splat2 and MK8DX are amazing games that you'll dump 10000 hours into if you're into them.

DKCTF is the greatest platformer ever released and one of the most beautiful video games of all time.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Puyo Puyo Tetris is probably my most played game and the convenience of the switch is a big part of that.

Speaking of, is paid online just for Nintendo first party stuff or all multiplayer games?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

you need it for 3rd party games but i think some stuff like fortnite that runs its own servers and doesn't go through Nintendo's setup might be excluded. they haven't been clear on this yet

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

P-Mack posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is probably my most played game and the convenience of the switch is a big part of that.

Speaking of, is paid online just for Nintendo first party stuff or all multiplayer games?
No one knows because they're weirdly nondescript about the whole thing, but I think it's safe to assume that it'll follow the Sony/Microsoft blueprint and be for all games.

The only exceptions so far seem to be "free to play" games like Fortnite and Paladins.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's by far the hardest part. Follow the coins

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i had no trouble with the scarecrow part, it was the fog part that gave me trouble. i was really worried that the climb right after that would get me, but once i got through the fog, i beat it on the first try.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

i had no trouble with the scarecrow part, it was the fog part that gave me trouble. i was really worried that the climb right after that would get me, but once i got through the fog, i beat it on the first try.
Same. The fog boat took me like 20 tries but the very first time I passed it I nervously finished the whole thing. The 2D part with DK after that was insane. I totally didn't want to die...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

Same. The fog boat took me like 20 tries but the very first time I passed it I nervously finished the whole thing. The 2D part with DK after that was insane. I totally didn't want to die...

that part owns because it's really fun and part of the whole "a tour of super mario odyssey, in one level" thing, but the whole time you're like "I don't want to have to go back to the start of the level, please don't let me fuckup" so you don't really appreciate it until you get to the end.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hollowknight's last expansion just came out for all platforms. idk when im gonna squeeze in another playthrough with my current monhun fever but I def will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i still have to finish tropical freeze. it's amazing how much having a new baby cuts into one's gaming time.