Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Rustybear posted:

It's an archetypal 'young fogey'; the Stuart fetish is a catholic thing, likely wears lots of tweed and tells people he's from a recusant family.

It's not limited to Brits, if you spend enough time in the wrong circles you'll meet Americans like this which is even more brain melting.

I grew up catholic (atheist now). I had a Sunday school teacher who once confided in me that he wished the Spanish Armada would have taken back England for Rome. That poo poo isn't as weird as wishing that true monarchism were still a thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
"So are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?"

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"So are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?"

Having never heard that quote before, my first instinct would be it comes from Monty Python

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

Being a monarchist at this point is far more entertaining than anything else.

literally can't wait for the queen to step in and execute everyone related to the whole brexit mess

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Preston Waters posted:

Having never heard that quote before, my first instinct would be it comes from Monty Python

It does sound like that, but no, came up from somewhere on the internet. (the setup is someone in Ireland being asked if they're Catholic or Protestant, replying that they're an atheist, and then, well, the above)

The funny thing is I bet there's noticeable differences.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

General China posted:

I could also point out that the organic food movement draws many parallels to fascism too and many founding members of the Soil Association were out and out fascists.

So what?

Does buying an organic apple make me a fascist?

I quite like reading about Tarka the otter too.

Well I strongly believe in trade unions so I'm going to call my political party the Union Movement, and if any Jewish people get nervous it's their own fault for being so sensitive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does sound like that, but no, came up from somewhere on the internet. (the setup is someone in Ireland being asked if they're Catholic or Protestant, replying that they're an atheist, and then, well, the above)

It's a real thing. My sister went to uni in Belfast and got that after replying she's a jew

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Catholic and Protestant are socioethnic labels in NI, not religious ones. Even Gerry Adams has said he's closer to Protestantism in terms of his actual religious beliefs, but he is obviously still very much a "Catholic".

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Christopher Hitchens used it a lot when talking about his time reporting on the Troubles, that's probably where the internet latched onto it from.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I was asked that in Glasgow before by a Rangers fan co-worker. The guy asked me first what school I went to, but since I’m not Glaswegian he didn’t know if my school was Catholic or not. So he had to be blunt and straight up ask me which team I was. Since my atheist parents both come from Protestant backgrounds that made me ok in this guys eyes.

He also shared with me his theory that young Muslim men are being ordered by their parents to impregnate as many white girls as possible.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Bryter posted:

Catholic and Protestant are socioethnic labels in NI, not religious ones. Even Gerry Adams has said he's closer to Protestantism in terms of his actual religious beliefs, but he is obviously still very much a "Catholic".

Catholic maps to 'irish', protestant maps to 'ulster-scots'; church attendance was simply one of the most visible divides between the communities so it became an obvious sectarian token. If the only thing you had to do to join the shipbuilders union was modify your religious beliefs somewhat then the troubles would never have occurred.

Like all posts about Northern Ireland this is an oversimplification but it broadly fits.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

marktheando posted:

He also shared with me his theory that young Muslim men are being ordered by their parents to impregnate as many white girls as possible.

"By Allah we must dilute our own genes, in order to white genocide. We have thought this plan out."

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

hes a dumb nerd looking for something to make him seem interesting
No doubt between scoffing at Game of Thrones fans

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
That guy believes James the II was the last legitimate king? So he’s crypto-Catholic or what?

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

twoday posted:

That guy believes James the II was the last legitimate king? So he’s crypto-Catholic or what?

A Jacobite! A political movement which hasn't been remotely realistic since like 1759.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

twoday posted:

He likely thinks the glorious revolution was the beginning of the end; he's the reactionary's reactionary.

If you hang out with a load of people who think England circa 1790 was the last great era we should hark back to you have to work extra hard to stand out.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Archaeology Hat posted:

A Jacobite! A political movement which hasn't been remotely realistic since like 1759.

it did, however, give us some cracking tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlyCSlAYECA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTPyvKrU1DM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB9fb3lIXko

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So, the Graun seems to think there really is going to be a blairite split.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/20/prospect-new-uk-party-grows-westminster-political-cracks-brexit

Really wish they'd put up or shut up.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crowsbeak posted:

So, the Graun seems to think there really is going to be a blairite split.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/20/prospect-new-uk-party-grows-westminster-political-cracks-brexit

Really wish they'd put up or shut up.

Dammit, "chicken coup" only works in print, and barely then. I do not approve. :colbert:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I mean the people we want to deselect threatening to quit and start their own party is not much of a threat.

The SDP worked because they took big, popular names. Who out there is desperate to vote for a new party founded Chuka and Chris Leslie? I think Chuka would get more votes if he didn't have Leslie with him, the guys a huge loving tool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They're so intellectually bankrupt Chris Leslie's report into centrism was dire

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Liberal centrists always, always massively overestimate their appeal, especially nowadays.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think i'd have slightly less disdain for them if they could at least admit austerity was a mistake and that it should be abandoned but they can't even do that failing to understand why everyone hates them as a result

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

"We made the tough but necessary decisions that we had to!

Now excuse me I'm off to the Lord Mayors banquet to celebrate and toast the UKs one hundredth billionaire AND the ten thousandth millionaire."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

no deal brexit is fine an idiot says

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1031795833572876288

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
In the course of events i had to cite a 13 year old article the guardian put out and fuckin lmao at the associated pieces

Truly 2005 was a more innocent time. A time before we knew.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
consider the other options in 2005, as well

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Hey so in one poll taken Labour while still ahead of the Tories fell one point. So, get ready for six more months of the Labour Antisemitism problem.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
so in the Trump thread we usually yell a misspelling of "Trump!" (eg, "TORMP!") and post a gif or video of someone loving up at something

kinda like

what would be a good thing to yell for the UK thread? like BORIS could be BROIS or something but it just ain't the same plus he isn't in government anymore

anyway enjoy this montage of ur terrible drivers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVx4Op2tAUo

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rustybear posted:

It's an archetypal 'young fogey'; the Stuart fetish is a catholic thing, likely wears lots of tweed and tells people he's from a recusant family.

It's not limited to Brits, if you spend enough time in the wrong circles you'll meet Americans like this which is even more brain melting.

I once saw somebody say that Trump was descended from a Stuart/Stewart branch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Isn't every US President besides Van Buren a direct descendent of King John?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't every US President besides Van Buren a direct descendent of King John?

So am I, really all you need to be that is have ancestry that came from England pre American Revolution.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Good news everyone, the Brexit supporters will die sooner then thought.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/brexit-freedom-of-movement-plan-care-workers-uk-eu-shortage-a8501751.html

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey so in one poll taken Labour while still ahead of the Tories fell one point. So, get ready for six more months of the Labour Antisemitism problem.

It's literally never going to go away ever.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Until Labour has a leader that unconditionally supports Israel.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

What a way to learn Robbie Rotten's dead :saddowns:

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Crowsbeak posted:

So am I, really all you need to be that is have ancestry that came from England pre American Revolution.

People always forget that ancestry is an exponential sequence; go back 10 generations and you have 1024 ancestors. Go back 25 generations and you have 33 million.

Factor in how small the global human population was and the general homogeneity of ethnic groups (by comparison to today at least) and there's a good chance you're connected somehow to any random historical figure from your cultural background.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also related to anyone you've ever dated hurhur

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rustybear posted:

People always forget that ancestry is an exponential sequence; go back 10 generations and you have 30 ancestors. Go back 25 generations and you have 238.

fixed for essex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Until Labour has a leader that unconditionally supports Israel.

Even then it won't. There'll be constant threats and allusions about the 'the dark old days'.

The best way to understand the campaign is as bullying. There's no point giving in to it at all and honestly I think Labour has been far too supine generally,