Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I think I figured out the last dragonfly I posted was a blue dasher, I have no idea what this one I saw yesterday is tho (connecticut)

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

free hubcaps posted:

I think I figured out the last dragonfly I posted was a blue dasher, I have no idea what this one I saw yesterday is tho (connecticut)

It's definitely a meadowhawk of some kind, perhaps ruby or cherry-faced. They're very hard to distinguish. Very cool color.

Couple of shots of a red-tailed hawk hanging out next to the road yesterday:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hey i was in grand tetons (lol) and there were these cool grasshoppers (?) that make clickety clackety sounds when they fly, what are they called?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What's with this thing I found? It looks like a bee except it's the size of a pebble. I could barely see it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

What's with this thing I found? It looks like a bee except it's the size of a pebble. I could barely see it.

Long Horned Bee. 200 species in 14 genuses, so may need a bee-person to get much past that.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/8019

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Slo-Tek posted:

Long Horned Bee. 200 species in 14 genuses, so may need a bee-person to get much past that.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/8019

Awesome :)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Everybody loves owls.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Yes we do

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Everybody loves owls.

It is known.

I had a burrowing owl hanging out on my mailbox this morning.

:3:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

holy poo poo those are some nice owls

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I found a tiny little bunny? Rabbit?

Also a (I think) Pileated Woodpecker. He was lower, but by the time I grabbed my camera, he'd gone farther up the tree, and I don't have a great zoom on my lense.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Really small crab spider lurking in a zinnia. Zinnia petals are not large.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Slo-Tek posted:

He's waving!!!!

:3::3::3:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

they're always happy to see you!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

vaguely posted:

holy poo poo those are some nice owls

the first owl's free, but after that I gotta charge ya...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

I found a tiny little bunny? Rabbit?

Also a (I think) Pileated Woodpecker. He was lower, but by the time I grabbed my camera, he'd gone farther up the tree, and I don't have a great zoom on my lense.

Marsh Rabbit and Pileated woodpecker, ya. Where were the pics taken?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ooh, I love pileated woodpeckers.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

MrYenko posted:

Marsh Rabbit and Pileated woodpecker, ya. Where were the pics taken?

Millersylvania State Park. Just south of Olympia, WA.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
On vacation in Portugal, a lot of critters around.

European bee wolf. Hard to believe that this little cutie is an avid bee hunter.

An antlion.

Large gorgeous butterfly, a swallow tail (Papilion macaon, presumably).

Sphecid wasp (Bembix sp. ?)

Indian walking stick (Caurasus morosus). Popular as a pet, introduced species from Asia that has established wild populations now in the Iberian peninsula.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Almost forgot!

Found a Hymenopteran (Ammophila or something similar?)carrying its caterpillar prey. Quality is bad though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

Millersylvania State Park. Just south of Olympia, WA.

Welp, it’s not a marsh rabbit. :v:

I know ya’ll have invasive eastern cottontails, but the ears are REAL small for that.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Had a good caterpillar day. Turns out, Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillars are not particularly fluorescent under LED blacklight. Still slightly easier to find since the leaves turn red, and the cat stays green, but not glow-y like Snowberry Clearwing cats are.

Spicebush Swallowtail:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So is that the head or the butt wiggling around at you?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

So is that the head or the butt wiggling around at you?

It's the head - they're mimicking snakes to scare off predators

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If spicebush swallowtail caterpillars are kinda UV duds, I assume other swallowtail species' caterpillars would be too, but have you tried any others?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

If spicebush swallowtail caterpillars are kinda UV duds, I assume other swallowtail species' caterpillars would be too, but have you tried any others?

Interesting hypothesis. Have UV pestered both Black Swallowtails and Monarchs, and they are both not that bright compared to Lunas and Snowberrys. Maybe a butterfly vs. moth situation? Dunno. Will test more.

Speaking of, freshly eclosed this morning Snowberry Clearwing Moth. They have black scales on their wings when they emerge that shed once they take flight leaving the clear substrate. Love these whimsy space-shrimps.

and here is a caterpillar and an action shot from years previous.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Slo-Tek posted:

Interesting hypothesis. Have UV pestered both Black Swallowtails and Monarchs, and they are both not that bright compared to Lunas and Snowberrys. Maybe a butterfly vs. moth situation? Dunno. Will test more.

Speaking of, freshly eclosed this morning Snowberry Clearwing Moth. They have black scales on their wings when they emerge that shed once they take flight leaving the clear substrate. Love these whimsy space-shrimps.

and here is a caterpillar and an action shot from years previous.

I remember I saw one of these and when I described it to my parents they said I was lying.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Nother one emerged today, took a five second buzz around the bug box, shook her wing scales off.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
They really do look like some kind of adorable bee/shrimp abomination :3:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
At least in flight they're usually compared to hummingbirds, but they're super cute regardless!

Slo-Tek posted:

Please post if you do! I have a friend on a mission to protect as many black and tiger swallowtail caterpillars as possible, and if UV is a good tool to find them, she'd be all over it.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Man this is such an awesome shot. Great photo.

One last portrait of the eurasian eagle-owl. I'll be working with the wildlife center taking care of these and a lot of other birds in the near future, hopefully all will be as photogenic as this fella!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I went to a music festival in northern Saskatchewan last month, and they had a garden full of flowers and insects.
Ness Creek 2018 The Forest Garden-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ness Creek 2018 The Forest Garden-0008 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ness Creek 2018 The Forest Garden-0010 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ness Creek 2018 The Forest Garden-0012 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ness Creek 2018 The Forest Garden-0013 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ness Creek 2018 The Forest Garden-0014 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ness Creek 2018 The Forest Garden-0015 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Slo-Tek posted:

Nother one emerged today, took a five second buzz around the bug box, shook her wing scales off.

i think apart from all the other cute things about them, it's their cartoon antennae that i like the best :kimchi:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

we have a hydrangea bush outside that has been swarming with all sorts of bees and flies and the like this summer, but the other day I saw a fly(?) that was cool looking and that I hadn’t seen before. It was a good size since I thought it was a bald faced hornet at first, but when I looked closer I noticed it was a blueish-black fly or bee.
The two most distinguishing characteristics where that its abdomen was wide and kind of flattened looking, and that it had dark wings that it held straight out to the side at rest unlike how they appear swept back on most bees and flies I encounter. it was probably about the size of a honey bee or yellowjacket

I’ve been trying to get a photo but havn’t seen him since, if anyone could help with id based on the description alone that’d be awesome! (Southeastern CT)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
There was a fly posted upthread that sounds like what you're describing. Tiger fly or something like that.

Bumblebee covered in pale pollen from nearby rose of Sharon shrubs.

Pale furred bumblebee on something I was assured isn't a pepperbush. 🤔

There were a lot of these girls with pale almost white in some cases fuzz. Then your usual sunnier yellow colored bumbles and carpenters too.

Some sort of tiny solitary bee I reckon. Her head was triangular shaped and all black. She stayed in the base of this blossom for hours.

Marking a Carniolan honeybee queen.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

My parsley plant is now home to a some Eastern black swallowtail caterpillars.

Early(ish?) instar:

This fella leveled up:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

free hubcaps posted:

we have a hydrangea bush outside that has been swarming with all sorts of bees and flies and the like this summer, but the other day I saw a fly(?) that was cool looking and that I hadn’t seen before. It was a good size since I thought it was a bald faced hornet at first, but when I looked closer I noticed it was a blueish-black fly or bee.
The two most distinguishing characteristics where that its abdomen was wide and kind of flattened looking, and that it had dark wings that it held straight out to the side at rest unlike how they appear swept back on most bees and flies I encounter. it was probably about the size of a honey bee or yellowjacket

I’ve been trying to get a photo but havn’t seen him since, if anyone could help with id based on the description alone that’d be awesome! (Southeastern CT)

Could it have been a carpenter bee? Although they aren’t that flattened and the ones I know in Europe are larger than honey bees and yellow jackets (even larger than bumblebees).

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Found some more cool bugs in a Portuguese nature reserve.

Cool as gently caress robber fly (genus Saropogon probably).

Dragonflies mating (Orthetrum cancellatum).

Swallow-tail (Papilio machaon).

Scoliid wasp. One of few insects that still put me on edge, they’re harmless but my gut feelings hasn’t adjusted to that fact. Those mandibles though!

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 24, 2018

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
This swallowtail chose a weird place to take a rest.

Maybe it was stuck, anyway I removed it and it flew away. Even if it wasn’t stuck it would suck for it to be there when that car eventually drove away.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

free hubcaps posted:

The two most distinguishing characteristics where that its abdomen was wide and kind of flattened looking, and that it had dark wings that it held straight out to the side at rest unlike how they appear swept back on most bees and flies I encounter. it was probably about the size of a honey bee

Do a GIS for Mydas fly.