Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is it okay to pretty much never turn off the Switch and just put it in sleep mode when I put it back in the dock. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past week and a half since I got it.

It took me like 15 minutes to figure out how to even actually turn it off. I think it being forever in sleep mode is what is intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What are people playing on Switch? I've finshed Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Steam World Dig 2 and have played Dead Cells and Mario Kart to death.

I'd kill for something close to having the same sense of adventure as Zelda. (No animu bullshit pls)

I've managed to avoid playing Skyrim up till now, but it's looking like the best option. Yonder maybe?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dead Cells, Cave Story+, Hollow Knight, and Puyo Puyo Tetris are all in my current rotation.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mostly Gungeon, might knock out a level of Mario x Rabbids, maybe a map of Hyrule Warriors... but mostly Gungeon.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Manky posted:

I've cycled the power on my switch probably less than a half dozen times since launch, you should be good. (I'm not counting updates in that)

Not counting updates? I think I've turned my launch day Switch off/on three times.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have enough Amazon credit to get a game. I've narrowed it down to Shantae, Sonic Mania or Owlboy. Is the Switch port of Owlboy any good? I never played the PC but I've always wanted to. I've heard it's somewhere between "pretty good" and "alright"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

psylent posted:

What are people playing on Switch? I've finshed Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Steam World Dig 2 and have played Dead Cells and Mario Kart to death.

I'd kill for something close to having the same sense of adventure as Zelda. (No animu bullshit pls)

I've managed to avoid playing Skyrim up till now, but it's looking like the best option. Yonder maybe?

Just embrace Full Anime and get Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's got an awesome sense of scale and it's great running around the huge maps discovering secret areas and level 99 megabosses that wipe your party in 5 seconds -- it's a wonderful exploration game

edit: when you face God on Judgement Day do you want it to be written in the Book Of Life that you succumbed to anime or that you succumbed to Skyrim?

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 22, 2018

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

psylent posted:

Yonder bad. Yonder very bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mysterious frankie posted:

Way less than Saints Row III imo.

Wrongo, fucko

content
Feb 13, 2014

psylent posted:

West of Loathing, Picross, and Skyrim.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had never heard of Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles until this thread. Looking into it and the game looks cool! Very pretty and from what I'm reading, an intentionally relaxing adventure game. Very different from Zelda where everything wants to kill you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

psylent posted:

Breath of the Wild, Atelier, and Splatoon 2.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Heath posted:

I have enough Amazon credit to get a game. I've narrowed it down to Shantae, Sonic Mania or Owlboy. Is the Switch port of Owlboy any good? I never played the PC but I've always wanted to. I've heard it's somewhere between "pretty good" and "alright"

Owlboy is a resounding meh. There's a lot of loving craft into the aesthetics, but the actual gameplay is boring, impactless combat and puzzles and exploration that never really advance past First Zelda Dungeon. It's not a bad game but it's just so much vanilla gruel jazzed up with really pretty sparkles.

psylent posted:

Octopath Traveler, 20XX, and Hyrule Warriors.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

psylent posted:

Don't have it, but I've read good things about mulaka, it's on my wishlist, and I think it was just on sale.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KingSlime posted:

Except it won't because you see, people really like buying games for the switch regardless

Look at how the switch tax has done absolutely nothing to impede sales, this thing is moving games

It's just really fun to play, which might help.

And I have to wonder if the game cards are a breath of fresh air in making a console and physical games so incredibly easily portable after years of having to deal with discs.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'd imagine digital helps even more, as it pretty much turns any portable console into an iPod for videogames

Huh it's been a while since I've typed out the word 'iPod'

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Heath posted:

The only things that are Pretty Good in Owl Boy are the art direction and soundtrack. I bought the game at launch and went in feeling very impressed by the first couple hours but it never delivers any real high points. The level design is kind of boring and the story I feel tries so hard to feel like a PS1 or SNES era classic that it ends up emulating the stilted aspect of old game writing. A game that knows what charm is but can't actually pull it off.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I said come in! posted:

I had never heard of Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles until this thread. Looking into it and the game looks cool! Very pretty and from what I'm reading, an intentionally relaxing adventure game. Very different from Zelda where everything wants to kill you.

Trust me from someone who has played it: it's bad. It's like if BotW, Animal Crossing, and Harvest Moon had a baby and then that baby had (some non-offensive way of describing that baby as defective). For one thing it's super short - I played it for only two hours and the completion percentage on my file was over 50%. But for another it just doesn't do what those other games do well. It's hard to describe. I thought that style of game was a total lock for something I would enjoy and I just HATED it. And Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Harvest Moon (and Stardew and Story of Seasons) are three of my favorite series of all time. Just. Game bad. Game VERY bad. Don't waste your money. I think Yonder might be my #1 worst experience on the Switch.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

psylent posted:

I know it gets mentioned a lot in this thread, but Hollow Knight is a really good game with a heavy emphasis on exploration and discovery. I highly recommend it.

West of Loathing is an RPG that has a lot of freedom to explore. There's a lot of sites to discover, and new things to see at the various locations. There's a definite focus on humor, which you may or may not enjoy.

I just started Blossom Tales, after buying it on sale from the eshop. Seems like a pretty good game similar to Link to the Past or Link's Awakening, if that's what you're looking for.

Some other games I really liked on Switch: Crypt of the Necrodancer, Mario + Rabbids, and Gungeon.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

psylent posted:

Hollow Knight 100% sounds up your alley

Gungeon is fun but it's more arcade than adventure

Octopath is all exploring and almost 0 story. If you like RPGs it's good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question about a few games on sale.

The Flame in Flood looks pretty good Y/N?

Neo ATLAS 1469 I wanted to pick this up but not for 49.99 has anyone played the switch version? Its on sale for 24.99.

EARTHLOCK looks interesting.

Anyone have any strong opinions on these?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
How did the SR3 v. GTA4 debate happen without anyone mentioning SR’s Cockney Male voice option for The Boss.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLTcQ80SlXo
Anime is "finally" getting a footing with this getting a remake

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

psylent posted:

Okami is a Zelda game

Okami is 70 some hours of Zeldaing with a new game + mode

Okami is 20 bucks

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Question about a few games on sale.

I had mixed feelings on it. Really cool concept, nice art direction and decently fun to play but it's ridiculously hard and starts to feel samey after not that long. I'd give it a shot if it's not too pricey and the idea of it sounds appealing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How big is Skyrim's world compared to say Xenoblade X?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Skyrim feels Half as big and half the number of unique models

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Heath posted:

If you crave the nostalgia of Genesis-era Sonic, get Mania. Otherwise, get Shantae and then post about how much you love/hate Giga Mermaid.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I had mixed feelings on it. Really cool concept, nice art direction and decently fun to play but it's ridiculously hard and starts to feel samey after not that long. I'd give it a shot if it's not too pricey and the idea of it sounds appealing.

Add to this that the music is some of the best on the system.

https://youtu.be/wQTPAb2Np3g

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hollow Knight 100% sounds up your alley

Gungeon is fun but it's more arcade than adventure

Octopath is all exploring and almost 0 story. If you like RPGs it's good.
It's weird, but after playing Dead Cells for 200+ hours (on PC) I found HK incredibly dull. I got a demo version with Humble Bundle ages ago and just couldn't get into it. Art/music/atmosphere is great, but the combat etc just bored me to tears. I might try it again at some point.

I tried Gungeon on PC but am kinda zonked on that type of game as well.

Haven't looked too closely at Octopath, is it a JRPG type thing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Owlboy is not only dissapointing in terms of its game structure and gameplay mechanics resulting in a short, claustrophobic experience where despite the main gimmick you never feel free, but in terms of narrative it might be one of the single meanest games to the protagonist from start to finish. It is so consistently and pointless cruel to the main character that by the end you, the player, will probably agree with the game that everyone is better off if the main character kills themself and actively cheering your own story mandated suicide

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdBespMvxaA

I don't think this got linked yet but it looks neat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whats the gameplay, though?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

2D Ico

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

Whats the gameplay, though?

Anime

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

b_d posted:

minimizing latency is always good, but I can’t tell it’s there at all in hollow knight
Not really, humans get lovely around ~80ms and no sequencing under 1ms is perceptible.

bushisms.txt posted:

Depending on the game you play, botw, fortnite, etc, you might have longer load times and out right gently caress ups. The switch is prone to memory leaks.

In botw, this becomes the blood moon glitch, where you get repeated blood moons in a short period of time. Fortnite has been actively getting worse as the battle pass continues to bolt on new mechanics, great mechanics though, like time trials. But it leads to longer load times and towns not leaving their LoD model state which doesn't allow interaction.

Tldr, hard reset your switch at least once a week.
Have the OS releases done anything to mitigate this... leak-proneness over time?

Any issue I've seen likely to be a symptom of a game leaking is cleared up by closing the software.

psylent posted:

As an alternative to the titles already mentioned, I still put a lot of time into A Robot Named Fight! Metroidvania, by which I mean Super Metroid roguelike. Dead Cells is fast with a lot of slick movement, definitely tilted towards the -Vania side, and a lot more content. By contrast, ARNF is a single developer (far fewer upgrades), aesthetic is "meat took over Earth" but otherwise Metroid, runs have a lot less downtime and clock in around 60~90 minutes. Also on sale in Europe if that is applicable to you.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am chewing on Octopath Traveler harder than I have on a JRPG since ...years. many

Overcooked! 2 could use a bit of patching but things work and we're loving it at my place a ton. Finding far less "ugh that level" this time in the maps.

Oh yeah and DQ Builders was a delight as someone who never played Minecraft.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MarcusSA posted:

It's aesthetically pleasing and interesting for an hour or two but there's really not much there gameplay wise.

I'm not gonna say no, but don't expect continued enjoyment from the random/endless mode.

JawnV6 posted:

Have the OS releases done anything to mitigate this... leak-proneness over time?

Any issue I've seen likely to be a symptom of a game leaking is cleared up by closing the software.

Hackers have reverse-engineered the console pretty thoroughly and Nintendo would've been laughed out of the courtroom if they couldn't garbage-collect a closed application.

Any memory leaks that happen are the fault of the game developers and will be fixed by closing the misbehaving software.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Hammer Bro. posted:

Any memory leaks that happen are the fault of the game developers and will be fixed by closing the misbehaving software.
Considering the system just updated to stop heating up on it's own in the dock if an ethernet cable is plugged in, I'm gonna assume Nintendo hasn't worked out all the kinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Owlboy is not only dissapointing in terms of its game structure and gameplay mechanics resulting in a short, claustrophobic experience where despite the main gimmick you never feel free, but in terms of narrative it might be one of the single meanest games to the protagonist from start to finish. It is so consistently and pointless cruel to the main character that by the end you, the player, will probably agree with the game that everyone is better off if the main character kills themself and actively cheering your own story mandated suicide

God, Owlboy is like the one game where everything would have been better if the protagonist never woke up that morning. Failure is a major theme in the game by they beat you and Owlboy to death with it. I could almost respect it if the gameplay was actually a thing, but it isn't so instead it just gets soul crushing when your reward for pushing on through more gruel is gently caress you loser, you suck and you're only making poo poo worse.

punk rebel ecks posted:

How big is Skyrim's world compared to say Xenoblade X?

Half the size and like six times the worthwhile content.

In other ideas, avoid using the hollow husk of an empty carcass that is Xenoblade Chronicle X's barren wasteland of a world map as a measure for if a world is worth exploring.

(It's still probably smaller then both BotW and Xeno2, but it's still a pretty wide playground with plenty of nooks to explore. How much you'd appreciate it mostly comes down to how willing you are to shove your nose into places to find generic loot and earn some meager XPs. Or alternatively, use quests to get most of your exploring done because a lot of the important places in the game will usually eventually come up in some quest or another. I'm not sure it holds up as a 'playground' compared to BotW, but I'm admittedly not a big fan of either Skyrim or BotW)

• Locked thread