Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Peanut President posted:

TF2 had abysmal esports views because watching an FPS in first person is really difficult. Not shocking that TF2's ripoff successor has problems too.
I am glad TF2 escaped the ire of network broadcasting.
TF2 is silly and dumb and I like it that way and so does everyone else that plays it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Fortnite is gonna get a show, isn't it?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Robnoxious posted:

I am glad TF2 escaped the ire of network broadcasting.
TF2 is silly and dumb and I like it that way and so does everyone else that plays it.

My Earned Bonks Average SABRmetrics though :negative:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

AsInHowe posted:

I could not tell you what Overwatch is. And I'm 30. eSports feels like one of those tech things that isn't really able to connect in the mainstream, but it's new and getting promoted, so it gets a lot of money disproportionately tossed its way.

It actually sounds like you're 60 years old

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

Why would I want to watch people play a video game when I could just play it?

This argument gets made against regular sports too, but I agree with you. The dividing line, to me, is the barriers to playing myself. I don't have access to a whole football team and thousands worth of equipment. There's no one willing to lend me an F1 car to have a go at Monaco.
So I watch those things. I don't watch people do things I can do myself, even if they're better at it than I am. If I wanted to stare at Twitch and watch someone hitting some raid boss in WoW, I'd just go unretire and have some active role in a game.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Overwatch suffers because its really hard to commentate and watch a 6v6 game where every player can be making an immediate impact at any one time. In soccer or football or baseball it doesn't really matter what is going on away from the ball because the ball is 95% of the action. Pitcher and hitter, quarterback or running back, whatever player has the ball in soccer. OW or Fortnite you've got 12 or 100 players that could all seemingly have a huge impact on the game at a moment's notice and its so easy to miss stuff and need to go to a replay. Even with omniscient camera angles that exist for both games for broadcaster mode it can then be tough to tell the skill involved with a given play without seeing it from the player's perspective.

Starcraft was very entertaining in 1v1 games because its much easier to switch back and forth between views, the broadcaster has information that the players do not, and for the most part the broadcaster is good enough to know the strategy that a player is forming or reacting to and can explain it to the audience as necessary.

When it comes to twitch, it can be fun to act like a crowd watch a sporting event together. You can't really chat, you're more reacting with emotes or whatever. Just like you can't really interact with a player from the stands but when the whole crowd yells they know it.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Yeah I always thought StarCraft was the easiest of any of these games to follow for someone that doesn't play but even then...

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Even as someone that like to watch people play video games from time to time, most esports game are hard to follow and not viewer friendly to the mainstream audience. I think that fighting games are probably the one of the fews that can work for the mainstream audience. Look at the EVO final this year for Dragon Ball Fighterz. There was a lot of drama, controversy, and talking points for it.

I think that there is a really big audience for esports. I just don't think any network will be the outlet for it. As it is usually offered for viewing for free on Twitch and if I was a follower of the esport, why would I pay for cable or subscription service when I can watch the tournament/competition for free on Twitch.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
overwatch is very fun to watch and i had a good time at the finals for 30 bucks (louder than any Islanders game at the barclays center lol)

but i have no idea why anyone who didn't play the game fairly regularly would watch it. but it's fun for those into that sort of thing. not sure why ESPN is into it when Blizzard has stated they're really just trying to target people who play the game first, and there's probably not a big venn diagram between those folks and "ESPN watchers"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
ESPN seems like they're just trying to target niche stuff for their streaming thing. So maybe not that many people broadly speaking are into it, but the people who do care care enough to pay $5 a month or whatever to watch it, is the theory. I don't know if this actually works with esports when it's so easy to watch for free on twitch or whatever, but I imagine it's pretty cheap for them to air anyway

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 22, 2018

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think counter strike works as a FPS Esport simply because pace of play is slower and it’s round based. I mean, if you’ve never played it it will absolutely be incomprehensible. But otherwise I still on occasion when bored will throw on a competitive match and watch for 30 minutes while I eat dinner.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

soggybagel posted:

I think counter strike works as a FPS Esport simply because pace of play is slower and it’s round based. I mean, if you’ve never played it it will absolutely be incomprehensible. But otherwise I still on occasion when bored will throw on a competitive match and watch for 30 minutes while I eat dinner.

A lot more of older millennial, namely the people in the upper end of the 24-35 demo, are likely to be more familiar with CS than OW. However, the lower end will likely be more familiar with OW.

I think MOBAs are better suited for it, because they are slower paced, buuuuuuut games can last "forever" compared to OW.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I’m not saying younger people are more familiar. Just that it’s slower style than overwatch makes it a bit easier to track and less incoherent when broadcasts bounce between players. That said any one on one RTS type game definitely benefits.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MourningView posted:

ESPN seems like they're just trying to target niche stuff for their streaming thing. So maybe not that many people broadly speaking are into it, but the people who do care care enough to pay $5 a month or whatever to watch it, is the theory. I don't know if this actually works with esports when it's so easy to watch for free on twitch or whatever, but I imagine it's pretty cheap for them to air anyway

This was on ABC.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Edward Mass posted:

This was on ABC.

ABC runs X-Games or whatever they have laying around in the early afternoon. It was a low-risk slot for them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OK google, show me an absolute sure-fire way to kill any hype surrounding a video game

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1032785811442348032

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bill Simmons is a doofus but he's super popular

Also not even close to the worst part of that group

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Which game literally had "Darren Rovell tweets at you" as a feature, 2k? Madden?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am annoyed just thinking about Kobe's awful, humorless, self mythologizing commentary.

Also he is a rapist

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sports video games explicitly avoid referencing movies and other pop culture by name (e.g. "The Raptors were named because of a popular movie that was out at the time") so what could Bill even say?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

... you guys play sports games with the announcers on?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Surprised this hasnt made it out of the Indycar thread (also maybe NFL threads but I dont read those)

https://deadspin.com/former-colts-announcer-who-used-n-word-was-quoting-auto-1828557737

https://racer.com/2018/08/23/daly-rejects-racial-slur-claims/

Theres a lot to process here but I'll try to sum it up

1) Bob Lamey, longtime Indianapolis Colts radio play-by-play announcer "retired" after he told a story that involved the n-word in front of a black colleague.

2) In the story he told, 35 years ago, when he was working for Indianapolis Motor Speedway, he was interviewing a racing analyst on the radio. When Lamey asked him if racers were holding back their speed during qualifications, the analyst said “There aren’t any n****** in this race.” [editors note: I still dont know what the gently caress thats even supposed to mean.]

3) Lamey has now publicly claimed the analyst is Derek Daly. Daly is an Irish former Formula 1, CART (Indycar) and sports car driver. He moved to the Indianapolis area in the 1980s. His son Conor is currently a driver in Indycar.

4) Daly was then immediately fired by his longtime employer, Indianapolis tv station WISH-TV.

5) Daly then released this statement:

quote:

“Last night WISH-TV severed ties with me after former sports broadcaster Bob Lamey apparently inaccurately attributed a racial slur to me during an interview in the early ’80s,” he said in the statement.

“It was reported on their website that I confirmed this. Both of these reports are factually incorrect. On this subject, I was never interviewed by Bob Lamey. The slanderous statements made by Bob, and now being attributed to me, are not only factually incorrect, but offensive.

“The facts are: In the early ’80s, after I had recently relocated to the United States, I was interviewed by radio reporter Larry Henry and I was asked about my situation with my new American team. I responded by explaining that I was a foreign driver now in America, driving for an American team, with an American crew, and with an American sponsor – and that if things did not go well, the only “n***** in the wood pile” would be me.

“At the time, I meant that I, as the new foreigner on the team, would shoulder the blame and I would be the scapegoat. This was not in any way shape or form meant to be a racial slur. This phrase was commonly used in Ireland, Britain, and Australia.

“When I used that phrase in the early ’80s, I had no idea that in this country that phrase had a horribly different meaning and connotation, as it was commonplace in Ireland. After moving to the United States, I quickly learned what a derogatory term it was. When I was first informed of this, I was mortified at the offense I might have caused people. I have therefore never used the word since. I made this mistake once, but never again.

“As someone lucky enough to travel and work around the world, I have good friends and colleagues from almost every race, nationality, and religion. I have always treated everybody with equal respect and they have done the same with me. Anyone who questions that should talk to them. Similarly, I hope I have demonstrated my character during the past 20 years that I have spent working on television with a range of professionals of all backgrounds.

“Finally, I want everyone to know I deeply regret and sincerely apologize for what I said more than three decades ago.

“Respectfully, Derek Daly.”

6) and the cherry on top of this bizzare story is Willy T. Ribbs, a black race car driver in the 80s and 90s has publicly defended Daly with this amazing story (emphasis mine):

quote:

“Derek Daly was the first driver to befriend me in an environment I knew little about,” Ribbs said, recalling his arrival in England to race in Formula Ford in 1977.

“1984, Derek Daly and I visited our hero Muhammad Ali at his home in Los Angeles, and The Champ loved him. That same night after meeting with The Champ, we were attacked in a parking lot by some thugs that looked like skinheads, and we kicked the &*%$ out of them.

“[In] 1990, Derek Daly helped facilitate my first IndyCar deal with Raynor Racing. August 18th, 2018, one of my closest friends in a sport that has been very hostile to me was at my wedding, 41 years after meeting in the UK. That’s Derek Daly.”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone buying the Francesa App? lol

https://twitter.com/mikeson/status/1032712192469159936

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao $9 a month

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DJExile posted:

lmao $9 a month

I have no idea who the hell is going to buy this. The best part is that you can watch a live stream of him doing his show on your iPhone lol. You get you see him scrolling through Twitter and drinking a DC while interviewing Sweeney Murti...

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

lmao $9 a month

or save money and pay $99 a year

also

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1032808460608405504

e: and ryen russillo is getting plenty of work

https://twitter.com/ryenarussillo/status/1033001123123085312

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 24, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

a bold move, let's see how that plays out for them

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

someone explain Ryan Russilo to me

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm fine with Fox getting them back, I at least know what I"m getting from them.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

For those of you concerned that you'd miss the Indiana and Ball State battle it out in a few weeks.

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1033111815490871296

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

now this is a news dump

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1033131873117949952
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1033134298767847424

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i think we all saw this coming

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1033518556640555009

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So after a shooting during a madden tournament that got broadcast on twitch live, so you think this will help or hurt broadcasting of esports which are primarily made up of these dudes who keep loving shooting people? (Or crashing their car into them)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

what?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Some guy went on a shooting spree during a madden tournament that was streaming.

Apparently you get to see the moment right before someone dies. Like the stream cuts out the second before he is shot.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think he means the part about esports being primarily dudes who shoot people

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dutchy posted:

Oh yeah I glossed over that. That’s a weird take

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Dutchy posted:

It was a bad joke about esports being a lot of young white dudes not getting laid, which lately is the archetype.

By lately I mean since like the 1860s.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh yeah I glossed over that. That’s a weird take

Yeah these are the dudes that swat people and get the cops to shoot them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iwentdoodie posted:

So after a shooting during a madden tournament that got broadcast on twitch live, so you think this will help or hurt broadcasting of esports which are primarily made up of these dudes who keep loving shooting people? (Or crashing their car into them)

americans suck at esports dude