Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's similar to Florida where prices are about 10-20% above black market so they're making hefty loving margins right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Looks like a marijuana legalization initiative is going to make it onto the ballot in North Dakota of all places. Still signatures still needs to be certified but the organizers were pretty well over the requirements. Polls are at something like 46% support so passage will be dicy. As the state has a small population any support for the campaign should go a long way, it’s important for the movement to start wracking up wins in middle America.

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity
The price disparity and adjustment over time between legal and black market across states is kinda absurd.

I know profit margins used to be insane on the black market, it was easy to make 200-300 an oz by selling as 8ths like 2 steps away from the grower, but then seeing medical prices be the loving same as street level was a bit absurd. I saw this on the east coast and west coast, but on the west coast side medical was actually way more expensive than street.

Now, I’ve been talking to fellow patients who are spending 2k a month on medical on the east coast (with a 2.5oz limit a month...) all because they need concentrates or edibles or whatever and can’t work with raw flower (which would still cost them around $800-1000 for their monthly supply). Oh and there’s weight equivalency with non-flower. So that half gram of shatter you bought actually takes away 2.1g from your monthly limit, lol.

There are some compassionate setups here, but few and far between. That kills me, while I was initially for treating medpot as a medical service, I’m realizing that’s actually junk with the current laws.

E: to tie this into a question, does anyone know why medical is often so expensive? Even with all the added rules and regulations in some states, it seems like they just aimed for parity with the black market and it’s literally only market pressure which pushes it down, and that seems to take forever.

lighthugger fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 12, 2018

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
That’s kind of expensive. 2x what I get ozs for.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
pretty happy our law so far has worked out as it has, and I can just self produce, give a ton away and never spend a dime.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Medical prices in Florida are partially inflated because there's no legal smokeable cannabis yet. One dispensary has a way around this because they sell an eighth in little ceramic cups with metal lids on top for use in a type of tabletop vape they sell. People tend to just crack them open and boom you have an eighth of coarsely ground stuff. Very few stems to remove, but it smokes best still passed through a grinder. $55

They also sell concentrates (dab oil) in a syringe. 850mg for $60/each. Vape carts are 10-15 bucks more expensive than the black market equivalent.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Nice! posted:

Medical prices in Florida are partially inflated because there's no legal smokeable cannabis yet. One dispensary has a way around this because they sell an eighth in little ceramic cups with metal lids on top for use in a type of tabletop vape they sell. People tend to just crack them open and boom you have an eighth of coarsely ground stuff. Very few stems to remove, but it smokes best still passed through a grinder. $55

They also sell concentrates (dab oil) in a syringe. 850mg for $60/each. Vape carts are 10-15 bucks more expensive than the black market equivalent.

drat. 100 mg of concentrate or edible in WA state is anywhere from 15-30 bucks. Our pricing is apparently all hosed up.

Granted you can just buy weed here to smoke but my lungs can't cope with even vaping anymore.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

DrNutt posted:

drat. 100 mg of concentrate or edible in WA state is anywhere from 15-30 bucks. Our pricing is apparently all hosed up.

Granted you can just buy weed here to smoke but my lungs can't cope with even vaping anymore.

That doesn't sound right, in Seattle you can get a full gram of concentrate for like $15, actually Uncle Ike's had a sale for $5 full gram conentrates (but there was a limit fo 2x per person).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UglyCrackBaby posted:

That doesn't sound right, in Seattle you can get a full gram of concentrate for like $15, actually Uncle Ike's had a sale for $5 full gram conentrates (but there was a limit fo 2x per person).

gently caress I guess it's just edibles then. Guess I need to start buying concentrates instead.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

DrNutt posted:

gently caress I guess it's just edibles then. Guess I need to start buying concentrates instead.

Yeah, it's super easy to turn concentrates into edibles. Also, since it's an exact weight and you know the THC levels it's easy to do the math. For example, an 80% THC concentrate will get you 800mg.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

30% stuff would go for $60 an eight at my former job, 480 for an oz + 25% tax aroune 670 total. Peoplr still buy the poo poo in droves. "Hurr lemme get the cheapest weed" :toxx:

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Yeah, it's super easy to turn concentrates into edibles. Also, since it's an exact weight and you know the THC levels it's easy to do the math. For example, an 80% THC concentrate will get you 800mg.

Along this line, I took 14 grams of flower at 22% and turned it into cannabutter that’s approx 3000mg thc total, clocking in at around 20mg thc per g of butter. Cost me a little over $100 for the flower, where if I wanted to get that amount of thc out of concentrates, I’d be spending about $400, and $1050 if I wanted it in premade edibles. Of course I had to make the butter myself and it’s got weed flavor (nice thing about concentrates for edibles is It avoids that).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LeoMarr posted:

30% stuff would go for $60 an eight at my former job, 480 for an oz + 25% tax aroune 670 total. Peoplr still buy the poo poo in droves. "Hurr lemme get the cheapest weed" :toxx:

I never bought weed when it was illegal, only ever smoked or vaped when people shared. The people at the pot shops I've been too have been nice but obviously they're not going to be like "hey man if you can't smoke have you tried concentrates?" when I've been happy buying edibles for 15-30 bucks per 100 gram. I mean, I didn't feel ripped off, poo poo still lasted me longer than the equivalent dollar amount of alcohol would.

e: also the marmas sour gummies are delicious and two of them kept me stoned out of my mind for the better part of like ten hours.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
The NYS Department of Health released their Assessment of the potential impact of regulated Marijuana in New York State

I'm still reading through it, but here's a snippet:

quote:

The positive effects of regulating an adult (21 and over) marijuana market in NYS outweigh the potential negative impacts. Harm reduction principles can and should be incorporated into a regulated marijuana program to help ensure consumer and industry safety. Legalizing marijuana could remove research restrictions in NYS, which will enable the State to add to the knowledge of both the benefits and risks. In addition, NYS would be one of the largest regulated marijuana markets. As such, there is potential for substantial tax revenue in NYS, which can be used to help support program initiatives in areas such as public health, education, transportation, research, law enforcement and workforce development. Tax revenues can also support health care and employment. Finally, legalization of marijuana will address an important social justice issue by reducing disproportionate criminalization and incarceration of certain racial and ethnic minority communities.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Oklahoma activists are claiming they now have enough signatures for a marijuana legalization referendum to get it on the ballot. This just after they got a really strong medical marijuana referendum passed this spring. Oklahoma’s lawmakers don’t seem to happy and could keep it off the ballot until 2020 if they want to be difficult. However this might be a mistake as current polling suggests the measure would fail.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, in California with the 30% tax and now the pre-sealed packaging law coming into effect I'm really hoping we start to see the price drops that places like Oregon saw. The delivery services/weed stores I use have all pretty much kept the same pricing, except now I need to budget an extra $30-$50 dollars when I buy. The pre-sealed packaging is especially galling. Sure, apply the law to concentrates or edibles, but what loving danger is there of a kid getting into a container of flower? Also, I already see empty weed containers all over the place in gutters and planters, great idea to introduce a bunch more plastic waste to that count. Has anywhere else hosed up their attempts at "legalization" as much as California has?

e: dont even get me started on those stupid loving bags you have to put the containers in before leaving the store at some places.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bango skank posted:

Has anywhere else hosed up their attempts at "legalization" as much as California has?
One of the LA DA's or Police Guy's stated 3 years ago that he sees absolutely no value to medical or legalize marijuana.

So, you know, maybe the roadblocks are by design.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

bango skank posted:

what loving danger is there of a kid getting into a container of flower?

Eating straight-up flower can get you pretty blitzed, and lol if you don't think little kids will eat significant amounts of random plant matter. As a parent I'd see the risk as only marginally less than a container of concentrate (and I keep all that stuff behind multiple doors and locks).

The law sounds loving stupid, but that's a different story. It doesn't intuitively make sense to me to be worried about this in a way that we're not concerned with liquor, and I doubt if California requires your liquor bottles to be sold in sealed plastic.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 2, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Eating straight-up flower can get you pretty blitzed, and lol if you don't think little kids will eat significant amounts of random plant matter. As a parent I'd see the risk as only marginally less than a container of concentrate (and I keep all that stuff behind multiple doors and locks).

The law sounds loving stupid, but that's a different story. It doesn't intuitively make sense to me to be worried about this in a way that we're not concerned with liquor, and I doubt if California requires your liquor bottles to be sold in sealed plastic.

Also lol if you dont think a minor will find a way to use it. Idk take dads cigarette, pill the tobacxo out and pack it with weed. This poo poo happens .. i think thats how i smoked the firs time at like 15

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Eating raw flower doesn't typically get you high because it hasn't been decarbed.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's not efficient but it will work. Try just eating some straight up hash sometime...

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Hash isn't flower though. I thought thc needed to hit a certain temperature to activate or something and the body's digestion process doesn't get nearly hot enough. How many nugs would you have to eat to actually get high?

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!
You can absolutely eat enough flower to catch a buzz but it would probably need to be like an entire eighth. Like Mozi said, it's not efficient, but it'll work.

SOURCE: I've had to scarf a bag before cops walked up and felt the effects afterward. I'm like 240 lbs with a sizeable tolerance though so a kid could probably get away with eating a fair bit less.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tim Raines IRL posted:

what, no that's not how that works.

DeadmansReach posted:

You can absolutely eat enough flower to catch a buzz but it would probably need to be like an entire eighth. Like Mozi said, it's not efficient, but it'll work.

SOURCE: I've had to scarf a bag before cops walked up and felt the effects afterward. I'm like 240 lbs with a sizeable tolerance though so a kid could probably get away with eating a fair bit less.

If it worked that way you could make cold edibles buy just soaking weed in milk in the fridge.

E; you can't, and

:toxx: if someone Paypal's me the money, I'll eat an ounce of your choice on stream to prove it.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 2, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

what, no that's not how that works.

If it worked that way you could make cold edibles buy just soaking weed in milk in the fridge.

E; you can't, and

:toxx: if someone Paypal's me the money, I'll eat an ounce of your choice on stream to prove it.

Surprisingly if you go looking for bhang recipes (authentic recipes by and for people from India, not some dumb poo poo on Vice or w/e) they often don't involve heat all.

Here's one example which starts with 2-3 g of "female cannabis leaves and flowers" per serving:

https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/how-to-make-bhang-ki-thandai/

quote:

1. Grind all the dry ingredients to powder using the pestle and mortar and set aside
  2. Pound the fresh cannabis to a pulp and add to the bowl along with the water and sugar
  3. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and set aside for two hours
  4. Strain the mixture using fine muslin, until the residue is dry to the touch
  5. Add milk to the extracted liquid, and chill until ready to serve
  6. Prior to serving, garnish with chopped nuts, rose petals or mint leaves

I'm not sure, I don't smoke weed anyway, but I think the decarboxylation is accomplished somehow mechanically through pulping the fresh cannabis. Some recipes just use a blender for this step. In videos of street merchants doing this in india its a really involved process, They fricken go to town on the cannabis for 10, 20 minutes. From the comments on this recipe:

krish posted:

the GRINDING TO PASTE by stone and pestle most important step in the process if you turn to paste by mixer or grinder its simply a waste seems maybe tc not activated by that way.

you can get in west bengal in a puja item shop also called dasakarma bhandar.ask for
"khaoar siddhi".u get dried leaves of cannabis then as usual as mentioned in post soak in water atleast 1-2 hrs then paste with sweets or sugar yields pretty good result.
u can drink the cannabis-sweet(sugar or any sweets and pls add a lot sweets ) paste with water too.
always remember to make a thorough and very good paste.it takes time and a bit stressful to your hands but believe me its worth it.

There's some super weirdo juicer freak on youtube who was putting cannabis leaves into his vegetable smoothies and accidentally got high as gently caress, so it's not anything to do with unique Indian cannabinoids or anything.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

There's documentation that the curing process decarbs weed to some extent. If you don't believe me, though, go eat an entire eighth of really good weed. As I said, I did this myself, once, with 2.5ish grams of not great weed and got quite blitzed. This is not a controversial idea. It's also not very efficient but that's not really relevant given the context. Likewise, reports of animals getting into raw weed and showing symptoms of intoxication are out there. I'm not going to pay someone to eat an ounce because if you want to get sick you can do it on your own dime, stream or not.

I had some extra plants that I gave to random people from Reddit; this is great! making friends and following the law

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 6, 2018

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have done this multiple times on a dare before, I have literally eaten an oz before and had nothing happen. I have paid my rent with this bet lmao. Which means it might boil down to biology.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

I have done this multiple times on a dare before, I have literally eaten an oz before and had nothing happen. I have paid my rent with this bet lmao. Which means it might boil down to biology.

yup, certainly could be, doesn't seem to be much in the way of hard data. I know eating it raw gets me baked, that's all I can say with certainty.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Multiple toddlers end up needing poison intervention from eating cigarettes or dip every year, which actually can kill a small person, so regardless of whether eating weed can get you high or not without decarboxylation, it's not really an argument for tighter home control than tobacco products.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All my weed comes with a child proof cap, I'm not sure how much tighter control you need than that.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

well, yeah, a pack of cigarettes has enough nicotine to kill an adult if you get it all at once.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Medical dudes, do I need the "raised ink" whatever poo poo, or can I just buy the online rec for 19.99?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

Medical dudes, do I need the "raised ink" whatever poo poo, or can I just buy the online rec for 19.99?

Not sure what you mean by "raised ink" but in my experience all you need is something you can give the dispensary that they can use to verify the rec(basically just a sheet of paper with the doc's signature,) all the other bells and whistles seem to be just there so they can get more money out of you.

California for reference.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Basically, can I print out and bring in a copy of my "digital" recommendation, or do I have to pony up the extra 20$ for a paper copy? WeedRecs has a 20$ deal if you just want an online rec.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh in that case yeah I'd probably get the extra paper copy just for convenience sake. A lot of places probably would take the printed copy, but I've for sure seen places that say original document only, no copies.

e: just a disclaimer, I haven't bothered with medical since it went legal here so my experience could be dated

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

More handwringing about people with no sense of temperance in The Atlantic yesterday.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So a little news roundup on legalization:

In North Dakota, the legalization initiative has had it's signatures verified and it has qualified for the ballot. There hasn't been a lot of polling on the issue but the last available data suggests opinion is fairly split, with a bit more support for legalization but a lot of undecideds.

Unfortunately in Oklahoma it turns out the group claiming they had enough signatures for a ballot on recreational was bluffing. Evidence was support there was pretty weak anyway, so it was a long shot anyway. There is good news for Okies though, as activists have successfully organized against reactionary efforts to water down the extremely broad medical ballot passed during this summer's primary. The State Department of Health is predicting as many as 80,000 people may apply for medical licenses.

One of the most interesting American developments is happening in the Northern Marianas islands. For those not familiar, its a US dependency near Guam which includes the island of Saipan. Both the Marianas house and Senate have passed recreational bills, and they are now expected to come to pass a compromise and send it to the Governor, who is expected to pass it. This will likely be the first legislative legalization in the US to include retail sales. Interestingly, unlike most recreational regulations in the continental US, this bill is set to legalize cannabis "lounges." This makes sense as it seems one of the primary motivations for legalization is to increase revenues from tourists, so giving them a place to smoke is logical.

Al jazeera has reported the there is a major legislative push to legalize medical marijuana production in Lebanon. Lebanon has long been a major exporter of illicit hasheesh, so it can be seen as an effort to shine a light on much of the economy that is presently hidden. The emphasis however is totally on exports, with little prospect of relaxing much of the regulation within Lebanon. The idea is to cash in on growing markets in Europe and elsewhere for a medical product that still has strict limits on cultivation.

The award for least expected cannabis legalization goes to . . . Georgia! Not the state, the country. I'll just quote VOA on the subject here, it's very strange.

quote:

It is now legal to smoke marijuana in the former Soviet Republic of Georgia, but there's a caveat.

At 4:20 p.m. local time on Monday, July 30, the Georgian Constitutional Court legalized marijuana consumption while retaining laws against growing, storing and selling the drug.

In the historic ruling that subverted decades of harshly restrictive drug policies, Georgia’s increasingly liberal constitutional court declared smoking cannabis an act "guaranteed by the right of free self-development,” making it the first former Soviet republic to legalize recreational usage.

For years, the southern Caucasus nation of roughly 3.7 million was home to what many civil activists called a repressive regime of narco-politics, where even casual users faced up to 14 years in prison.

Longtime critics of Georgia's hardline drug policies said that the laws were being exploited to justify heavy-handed policing tactics within the country's thriving nightlife scene.

The court said punishing an individual for consuming cannabis would comply with the constitution only if consumption put a third party at risk. The decision was prompted by a lawsuit filed by activists of the libertarian Girchi party.

Retail sale is still illegal but hey, it's still a big step forward.

Activists gather during a rally in support of marijuana legalization in central Tbilisi, Georgia, June 2, 2015.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Raise your hand if you're surprised.

https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/1034839525355388928

quote:

The White House has secretly amassed a committee of federal agencies from across the government to combat public support for marijuana and cast state legalization measures in a negative light, while attempting to portray the drug as a national threat, according to interviews with agency staff and documents obtained by BuzzFeed News.

The Marijuana Policy Coordination Committee, as it’s named in White House memos and emails, instructed 14 federal agencies and the Drug Enforcement Administration this month to submit “data demonstrating the most significant negative trends” about marijuana and the “threats” it poses to the country.

In an ironic twist, the committee complained in one memo that the narrative around marijuana is unfairly biased in favor of the drug. But rather than seek objective information, the committee’s records show it is only asking officials to portray marijuana in a negative light, regardless of what the data show.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nixon speed run still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In good news, Andrew Gillum is pro-recreational and his opponent already called him a monkey within 12 hours of the primaries ending. Should be fun.