Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Speaking of which do the bees even realize the queen is dead. It's kinda weird to keep the giant body in the back and carry on as normal.

I mean the knight guy even salutes to it before keeling over.

They're infected, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I don't think Dirtmouth is the full extent of civilization on the surface. There should be other countries/kingdoms/villages, etc. where the various explorers of Hollownest came from.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think Dirtmouth is the full extent of civilization on the surface. There should be other countries/kingdoms/villages, etc. where the various explorers of Hollownest came from.

I got the impression that there's other kingdoms, but Dirtmouth and Hallownest were kind of a trap. If you try to leave your memories just get totally wiped so I imagine entering is no big deal but once you're in you're stuck there unless you're fine being a clueless buggo.

Also I kind of wish the dream nail lines were more than a couple random words. I keep forgetting to use it because almost nothing interesting comes from it.
Should be like a 1/252 chance for a bug version of the navy seals rant to come up and fill the entire screen.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Half of the bugs you meet are travelers from outside the kingdom, there's definitely a whole world out there. When you show up the first thing the Elderbug says is that tons of bugs have come before you to explore the ruins.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 22, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Btw I've been playing the game again and something hit me: isn't it weird that the White Lady asks you to become the new vessel but gives you one of the items that's essential for NOT becoming the new vessel

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Man, this world just keeps on going, holy crap. Just finished the mantis challenge. Also finished the soul king dude. Found a tram in that area where giant centipedes act as moving obstacles. The world suddenly seems to have gotten a lot larger in terms of options for exploration than when I just started. Also I lost 2500 because I was a greedy dumbass. Welp, no lantern anytime soon for me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like I want a avatar as I loved this game but I don't even know what I'd choose or say. Gosh.

Myla because she deserves to be remembered :cry:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

tbh if I knew how to do this kind of thing, I'd get the animation of the knight busting out their little nail to challenge the mantis lords or the radiance and make an avatar out of that.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
finally beat the last boss. Really did feel like a victory, I think it took me like 15 tries. I tried a bunch of different stuff but the winning combo was Joni's Heart + Lifeblood Core + Unbreakable Strength + thorns. Quickslash is kind of useless against the boss since it's floating out of reach most of the time. That said, you can pogo the radiance, although I immediately ate 6 masks of damage from her homing bullshit while doing so. But then i won straight afterwards, so maybe its a secret pro strat

All in all it was a really great game. It definitely sucked me in after a while, I think i said "ok I must be near the end" like 3 times and then i would discover a new area.

The fact that it's so good makes the annoying parts stick out even more, though. Primarily I felt like the games biggest problem is just punishing failure with tedium. The key example being "bench runs", having to make your way back to the boss every time you die. Why not just put a bench right outside the boss room? Failure doesn't need to be punished any further, because dying on a boss means you're not progressing. That's punishment enough. Making the player walk all the way back to the boss room is frustrating, not challenging.

(I'm aware that a certain upgrade addresses this problem, but the nature of the game can mean you don't find it until you've already fought many of the bosses. Also, it uses up a resource which initially seems very scarce and valuable because it's used for upgrades, until you realize the dream bosses drop a shitton of essence. I don't really get the reasoning behind that, it seems to discourage you from using the upgrade at all.)

I'd also include the possibility of losing Geo on a corpse run as another example. With the DLC purchases, losing 2000+ geo is actually kind of a lot, and will probably mean farming geo down the road. Dying is already punished by the fact that you have to restart from a bench and also your soul vessel is cracked. It just felt unnecessary to me. I'm aware they are very clearly inspired by Dark Souls here, but souls in Dark souls are WAY easier to come by than geo.

The White Palace was cool and the platforming was fun, but I would never have been able to finish it without hiveblood, which also has the effect of slowing everything down because you have to wait 30 sec every death. But in hindsight I could have combined it with double heal and grub charm.

Also, going back a few pages I want to say I am one of those people who feel enemies should not automatically deal contact damage (unless they are covered in spikes or w/e). It just feels inconsistent in a weird way. I know the answer is Videogames, but it still feels really silly when I bump into a guy with a sword from behind and it's treated like i ran headfirst into his blade.

Also also hitting spikes from the non-pointy side should not damage you. spikes don't work that way and the graphic should be spiky on all sides to match the hitbox :colbert:

again, this stuff only bothered me because the game is otherwise an amazingly smooth experience. I want a dung defender amiibo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I have never understood people who are against contact damage, to be honest. The game would be way way too easy without it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Contact damage only annoys me when it's the norm but there are rare exceptions because it's not the kind of thing you want to test out by running into everything. Hollow Knight is guilty of this unfortunately.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Darox posted:

Contact damage only annoys me when it's the norm but there are rare exceptions because it's not the kind of thing you want to test out by running into everything. Hollow Knight is guilty of this unfortunately.

Isn't there literally only one exception?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Isn't there literally only one exception?

There is :v: ?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Pogo slashing is a core part of how I traverse the terrain, not just how I fight. If I don't want to kill an enemy for the zillionth time and just want to get across the map I pogo off enemies' heads so I won't break stride.

I love HK and I have no patience for people who bitch about contact damage from enemies, which is a part of platforming games since time immemorial. I will say that a game dev I know suggested a tweak to make it easier and I don't really see any downsides -- there's no real reason that screwing up and dying to spikes/acid/etc. needs to take HP away. I like HK's challenge level and I don't think it should be dumbed down, but most of the people I know who are frustrated with the game are frustrated by environmental hazards, and a change like that would make the game more accessible for them and wouldn't hurt my experience at all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I also think the complaint about contact damage is pretty weird, and I've seen it a bunch. I'm trying to think of a platformer I've played that didn't have contact damage and I'm coming up empty-handed. Did some big recent metroidvania not have it?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Death's Gambit is more of a Soul-like than a Metroid but it doesn't have contact damage unless you touch the enemy's weapon. I kept forgetting when I played it and would waste a bunch of stamina rolling through people I could have just walked through

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I also think the complaint about contact damage is pretty weird, and I've seen it a bunch. I'm trying to think of a platformer I've played that didn't have contact damage and I'm coming up empty-handed. Did some big recent metroidvania not have it?

This is what confuses me. Castlevania and Metroid have contact damage. Mario has contact damage. Mega Man has contact damage. Do the people who talk about contact damage also not want it in basically every 2d game that exists? Or is it only hollow knight where they feel it shouldn’t exist, and if so why?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Dead Cells doesn't, and I'm fine with that.
On the other hand, I'm also fine with Hollow Knight having it.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

who are you people who are like, regularly losing 2k+ geo, and constantly in fear of losing your shade.

I've cleared this game to 100% 3 times, and beaten it dozens, and I literally have only ever lost geo from death one time, when I quit after dying, then resumed and started goofing off before going to my shade. I'm just unclear of where you die - except maybe on a very select couple of platforming puzzles - that you can't easily grab your shade without being threatened.

also, bench trips are, in my mind, kind of important to make you reflect on your approach to bosses and be more thoughtful - and traverse the world a bit more. If you're making like your 20th attempt on Soul Master, maybe consider your options or, if you really must, go do something else. or make one attempt where you really, seriously, think about where the boss is moving and what indicators are given for which attacks.

Stripping any discomfort or inconvenience that comes from traversal out of the game is a great way to keep pace up but comes at the cost of narrowing the player's focus, making them less reflective and shrinking the game world.

imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ambivalent posted:

who are you people who are like, regularly losing 2k+ geo, and constantly in fear of losing your shade.

Maybe, and I’m JUST spitballing here, they died to a difficult enemy and then died to that same enemy?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I imagine the game would seem pretty easy after beating it three times.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

SirSamVimes posted:

tbh if I knew how to do this kind of thing, I'd get the animation of the knight busting out their little nail to challenge the mantis lords or the radiance and make an avatar out of that.

Yeah, I don't have even the most basic of gif-ing skills, so I just went with this. :3:

e: also, according to the HK Discord I lurk in for game announcements, GOG released Godmaster early, or there was some other kind of leak - I can wait another day without looking for spoilers, but just fyi.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I died plenty of times in this game but I don't think I ever lost Geo from losing a shade. For the most part they reposition themselves in the middle of a room for easier retrieval and there's even a vendor that retrieves them for you. Closest I ever came to losing a shade was fighting one of the last Grimmflame keepers and the shade positioned itself right next to the keeper.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Eh, it's easy to lose geo due to some of the cheaper enemies on the run back, like the exploding bats, especially if your shade is some distance away.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the one time i was worried about losing my shade was when i first fought nosk i died because i didn't learn how easy he was yet and the shade spawned in his boss room, so i used a rotten egg to get it back instead, then went to fight nosk and killed him on the next try, rendering the shade retrieval moot.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I lost a lot of Geo because I'd explore too deep, get lost, try to find a bench while barely dodging death and then finally expire. Even if I could make it all the way to my shade I can't always make it back again.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If it's even remotely plausible that you might not be able to get to your shade and then to safety, just use the vendor in Dirtmouth and get your shade at no risk. There's no reason to ever lose any geo after you've been playing for a few hours.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to be fair it's plausible you could run out of eggs and not made it to the guy who sells them yet

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If losing your geo on a second death wasn't a realistic possibility why are we defending the mechanic except as an annoyance/noob trap? Of course it's a possibility, going to get your shade can be very tense and that's why I like that it's in the game.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you try to leave your memories just get totally wiped so I imagine entering is no big deal but once you're in you're stuck there unless you're fine being a clueless buggo.

I'm pretty sure this just isn't true, though, just propaganda meant to get people to stay in the kingdom.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

There was this chunk where you have 2+ of those enemies who attack you 3 times as you keep killing their different forms + the toothy flying super aggressive thing all piling on me over and over as I was trying to recover the ghost :( Oh yeah, flukemons apparently is what they're called.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 22, 2018

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Right after the soul master and mantis challenge boss fights, are there any upgrades I could get that would make life easier? Not sure how to have you guys divulge that info without spoilers :| Maybe point me in a general direction?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Mymla posted:

I'm pretty sure this just isn't true, though, just propaganda meant to get people to stay in the kingdom.

I don't claim to know the mechanics of it (though it would be super cool if we did), but Quirrel at least doesn't remember anything after leaving for...wherever before the start of the game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

Right after the soul master and mantis challenge boss fights, are there any upgrades I could get that would make life easier? Not sure how to have you guys divulge that info without spoilers :| Maybe point me in a general direction?

Yes, there's lots. The next big movement upgrade is in a place called ancient basin and is in the general direction of down from the city of tears

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mymla posted:

Kinda related, but is there any explanation of how the knight ended up on the surface for the beginning of the game?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
One other tiny thing that bothered me: not really sure why the geo magnet charm and the charm that shows your position on the map were charms at all, rather than just passive traits. They felt kind of mandatory for exploring so it was basically like a notch tax unless you wanted to get lost and lose geo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

a.) so that you rearrange your charms before boss fights instead of using the same charms all game

b.) to give you a reason to get a little lost, I stopped using the compass charm eventually and it made me pay more attention to the room layouts I was in

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

c. Geo charm isn't necessary if you're willing to take a second to grab it.

d. To reinforce the idea that nothing in Hollownest is friendly, and nothing is free (i.e. atmosphere).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The only time I lost Geo was because of a game bug during the final boss. I died and respawned. Hit my shade and I don't know if I left into the boss arena too fast or what but it didn't count frustratingly enough.

Lost 7k but oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

lets hang out posted:

Btw I've been playing the game again and something hit me: isn't it weird that the White Lady asks you to become the new vessel but gives you one of the items that's essential for NOT becoming the new vessel

Counterpoint: the Void Heart also lets you function as the perfect vessel