Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Vitamin P posted:

Even then it won't. There'll be constant threats and allusions about the 'the dark old days'.

The best way to understand the campaign is as bullying. There's no point giving in to it at all and honestly I think Labour has been far too supine generally,

So Labour doesn’t actually have an antisemitism problem, it’s actually just that Jews are bullying Labour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1032154826212352000

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

what has it set for digiboris's racism stat

probably too low

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

hakimashou posted:

So Labour doesn’t actually have an antisemitism problem, it’s actually just that Jews are bullying Labour?

Do you not remember that report into antisemitism? Labour has no more of an antisemitism problem than any other UK party.

Just FYI that second part of your post is very stupid and actively dangerous. I very obviously said that the smear campaign was best understood using the same methods we understand bullying with, that's true of smear campaigns in general. The dangerous part is that you are conflating a few bad actors with 'Jews' in general. Mr Goldstein down the street has nothing to do with people running a smear campaign, he has no responsibility whatsoever for their actions.

The Israeli government committing war crimes does not mean jewish people broadly are responsible for war crimes. A right wing smear campaign does not mean jewish people broadly are responsible for disingenuous reporting. In both cases specific groups are using jewish people as a shield and saying that attacks on the specific group are actually an attack on jewishness itself.

No, "jews are not bullying Labour" you dense gently caress. You can't blame a whole group of people for the actions of a few, that's how bigotry thrives and we all have to be better than that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure at least half of it isn't actually Jews, and the ones that are actually Jews say the Jews that vote Labour aren't the right kind of Jews.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its hakimashou he's just trying to get a rise out of you

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/occuworld/status/1032238228072480769

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
welp

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
pack it in sex havers

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Something something transmitted via electrical banana.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Should be renamed Donaldtrumpitis IMO

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

volcel supremacy

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
game is tight.

If you navigate towards a soft brexit:

"The prime minister explains there is no alternative, but many Tories are contemptuous. Boris Johnson writes in the Telegraph that the deal is a “suppurating, servile, snivelling surrender.” Jacob Rees-Mogg compares the prime minister to Gaius Terentius Varro, a commander responsible for one of the worst military defeats in Roman history. With so much hostility, the plan can only pass if some Labour MPs back it."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i did that then it had corbyn whipping against a soft brexit

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

It makes some truly bizarre assumptions like that, however, it also has amusing art and a couple of funny lines.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

A human extinction advocacy terrorist group have developed an anti-sex memetic agent causing victims to imagine John Majors rotting genitals. It proves to be unstoppable and the last human dies in 2075.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well to be fair they have to make a lot of assumptions to assign a Brexit policy to Corbyn.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Well to be fair they have to make a lot of assumptions to assign a Brexit policy to Corbyn.
If you Ultrabrexit and then there's an election and J-Corbz wins, they reckon that despite being Something of a Euroskeptic he's gonna end up with a soft brexit and the EU are happy to chat with him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is he a skeptic because the EU is a lot of neoliberal nonsense ?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

euphronius posted:

Of the EU? Yes, and rightly so

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

euphronius posted:

Once again I need to point out in what is obstensibly the ukpol thread do you not know who Tony Benn is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tony benn died and saddled us iwth his son i think its time to give it a rest. poo poo has changed since he was important

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I don't see why knowledge of a children's cartoon character from 1971 is relevant today.

But then Rees-Mogg is out of a Dickensian novel, so what do I know?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Theresa May is like some kind of easily flustered villain that would be defeated by a group of schoolchildren in a made for TV movie

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Byolante posted:

Once again I need to point out in what is obstensibly the ukpol thread do you not know who Tony Benn is

lol

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jose posted:

tbh i'd be pretty unsurprised if that happened

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Does the Labour leadership have an articulated position on what kind of Brexit they want/would regard as acceptable? Or are they just praying that the government doesn't fall before 3/29?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Does the Labour leadership have an articulated position on what kind of Brexit they want/would regard as acceptable? Or are they just praying that the government doesn't fall before 3/29?

they have a list of conditions for what they'd consider acceptable that kinda points to a soft brexit but the messaging is VERY bets-hedging-type stuff

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
As of now their position is they don’t have to do the impossible act that is making a Brexit deal that isn’t a turd so like gently caress they’re gonna volunteer to try.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
But like, a general election before the Brexit deadline is a real potential danger, right?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It is the final Hail Mary that May might use when all other options seem hosed.

Still until Labour wins and election they’re not gonna bother to say what their Brexit policy is in detail because they get nothing out of doing that except more dumb party infighting.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I meant that in the sense of "potential danger to Labour, who will be ultraturbofucked if they win."

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

The closest we have is what was in the Manifesto as a plan of what to do after Brexit:

- No no-deal Brexit (completely not in their hands, it's up to the EU)
- Dreams of a huge amount of State Aid breaking investment (which the EU would respond to by tariffing British products to protect itself, obviously)
- Keep the good stuff
- Some of kind of management of immigration involving visas and employer sponsorship (again not really in their hands)

There are also a number of ~tests~ that Keir Starmer says Brexit has to pass about customs and free movement and protecting this and that, which it obviously won't.

On the other hand there are multiple Labour MPs that have come out and called Starmer a gobshite on TV like John Mann; the left-wing base of the party is incredibly thirsty for Corbyn to come out against Brexit, which they don't want, which he won't (this is why it wasn't on the agenda at the last conference), so the whole thing is a mess.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If Labour win they get an extension to the leave date and then just do an insanely soft Brexit, tell everyone complaining to gently caress off and move on with governing.

The one fight might be over State Aid rules, but beyond that there’s not really much about Brexit worth putting up a fight over on the left

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

If Labour win they get an extension to the leave date
There is literally no guarantee of this at all; any extension of terms is up to the EC, just like the extension of transition arrangements (which is theoretically infinite and not a two-year deadline as was weirdly bandied about)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Barnier has already said an election would allow for an extension.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fans posted:

Barnier has already said an election would allow for an extension.
It isn't just Barnier's choice to make, the whole EC has to agree to that.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yes and he is their head negotiator and relays things they’re agreed on.

It’s not like ours who just make poo poo up, they actually know what they’re doing

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
This "Brexit" seems like a really bad idea. You guys shouldn't have done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Doing bad things we shouldn’t have is the one tradition we have as a country, we can’t stop now