Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

it basically comes down to you got two bars, five ability slots, and you can only actively use one bar at a time so naturally you're going to want to load up your off bar with DoTs so you're doing damage with both bars while using damage dealing abilities on your main bar

magdps does this too it's just there's more variety of magicka-dependent abilities (you're going to see wall in most builds though it is very potent) since there's so few class ability stam morphs

this is pve mind, pvp builds have different priorities because you're not fighting things with like 100 million hp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly tanking seems fun in this. It seems like tanking groups of mobs is more about crowd controlling them than taunting them, since your taunts are single-target.

Is there much use for that Psijic Order Time Stop skill in PvE? Because I'm a sucker for time magic so if someone's like "yeah man tanks love that poo poo" then I'm going to be like "I guess I'm a tank, then"

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Harrow posted:

and I'm sure PvP builds have a lot more variety, too, if I end up trying out PvP.

This is where stam really opens up. The sky is the limit on build diversity when it comes to PVP, with the one caveat being that most people run 2H on every stam build because of snare removal. Other than that you can get realllllly drat creative with what gear/skills/sets you run.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's the nice thing about PvP builds, isn't it? In PvE whatever's most efficient is always going to be king, but PvP has a lot more variables

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Tanking owns.

Never, ever, level as tank. Level as dps, and aoe everything dead fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm leveling with magicka DPS but I might respec and try tanking once I hit 50, possibly. Or just grab a sword, shield, and some heavy armor and fake-tank leveling dungeons since I suspect that's not exactly going to demand a perfect tank build. Or even just an ice staff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah I'm leveling with magicka DPS but I might respec and try tanking once I hit 50, possibly. Or just grab a sword, shield, and some heavy armor and fake-tank leveling dungeons since I suspect that's not exactly going to demand a perfect tank build. Or even just an ice staff.
I'm not sure ice staff tanking is viable other than Warden. Maybe Templar?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So how do the names work in this game? Do they have to be unique on the server? I know you can get duplicates between ps4 and PC

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So how do the names work in this game? Do they have to be unique on the server? I know you can get duplicates between ps4 and PC

Yes.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
An update and a couple new ones:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

I'm not usually a fan of the heavy armor, but this looks really badass.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rollersnake posted:

I'm not usually a fan of the heavy armor, but this looks really badass.

Thanks! It comes very close to meeting Orv's standard for true fashion: only two pieces are from the same set (helmet and boots). Someday I'll get there :3:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Coldforge posted:

Thanks! It comes very close to meeting Orv's standard for true fashion: only two pieces are from the same set (helmet and boots). Someday I'll get there :3:

this is a good rule but i don't think should be a hard rule

especially a lot of the newer (since morrowind) motifs have a lot more aesthetic cohesion between them, generally with chest+legs (such as a sort of underarmor/apparel patterning underneath). this can be the case even within the same motif but vary between different armor weights. then *sigh* there's also color channels which can be all over the map, some stuff like ashlander and abah and ragada can be absolute nightmares to get right. waist placement is a real crap shoot outside of matching with the same weight/motif of the chest on a lot of newer motifs too (though this can also be favorable as many smaller, older waists like orc 1 are completely hidden on many newer motifs if that's what you're going for)

biggest thing is choosing the right dyes imo but that will always come down to personal taste. i try to stick to soft natural colors on cloths (tans or light dark browns on leathers) and very down to earth grays on metal but some people like going for the kind of shiny wow-y colors

only thing i hate is gaudy red metal but that's just from putting up with rubedite colors for so long

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Is there a goon guild going on for PC? If so looking for an invite on @Kamillus

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So glad I picked this up! The environments are incredible.and having ESO plus really makes a difference.

Can I get an invite @mricecreamglove

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 21, 2018

trem
Sep 17, 2009

FayGate posted:

Is there a goon guild going on for PC? If so looking for an invite on @Kamillus

Tried sending an invite, but it said account not found. Can you confirm that's your login name?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So glad I picked this up! The environments are incredible.and having ESO plus really makes a difference.

Can I get an invite @mricecreamglove

Invite sent, should be there when you login next.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

trem posted:

Tried sending an invite, but it said account not found. Can you confirm that's your login name?

Invite sent, should be there when you login next.

Awesome! Thanks

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

This is where stam really opens up. The sky is the limit on build diversity when it comes to PVP, with the one caveat being that most people run 2H on EVERY build because of snare removal.

My edit, but even with snare reductions, it near suicidal to run destro/resto in a BG on a magblade, thus I have the comedy option to run a big loving 2H on my shorty Breton magicka build due to not wanting to stay locked down the whole time :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All these good outfits making me want to level faster so I can start gathering more styles and motifs

Also dyes. Lots and lots of dyes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not sure ice staff tanking is viable other than Warden. Maybe Templar?

I just figured that the normal leveling dungeons were easy enough I could potentially get away with it, but yeah, I mostly see ice staff tanking with Warden (which makes sense thematically, I suppose).

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Looks like a Scarlet Judge cosplayer

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am planning on buying Summerset when i get home from work and my character on Morrowind is only 5. I am thinking about making a new character. Is Summerset a better start off zone than Morrowind?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I am planning on buying Summerset when i get home from work and my character on Morrowind is only 5. I am thinking about making a new character. Is Summerset a better start off zone than Morrowind?

From what I've been told, the story of Summerset follows off of Morrowind, so if you care about story you might want to do Morrowind first. If you're not enjoying Vvardenfell, you could just beeline the main story there (the quest line that starts with Divine Conundrum) and then head to Summerset, though.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Even Morrowind is supposed to make more sense after you've done the real main quest that you get when you get to the starter zone of your alliance (Glenumbra, Auridon or Stonefalls), though doing the stories out of order is still ok.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh that is good to know.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How challenging are ESO's veteran dungeons? I'm a big fan of tough small-group PvE stuff so I'm curious what I have to look forward to.

Also, how long are trials, generally? Are they huge raids like WoW's raids, or mostly focused on a handful of boss fights (or even just isolated fights) like FFXIV's?

Oceanbound posted:

Even Morrowind is supposed to make more sense after you've done the real main quest that you get when you get to the starter zone of your alliance (Glenumbra, Auridon or Stonefalls), though doing the stories out of order is still ok.

Yeah I'm starting to wish I'd done the main quest for the base game before Morrowind's, if only because apparently there's more Naryu Virian in the Ebonheart Pact ones and she treats you like a friend if you've worked with her before, which is cool. I'm guessing that doesn't go backwards :v:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Can I get an EU pc invite to @masonity please?

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Harrow posted:

How challenging are ESO's veteran dungeons? I'm a big fan of tough small-group PvE stuff so I'm curious what I have to look forward to.

Depends on the dungeon really. Most of the base game dungeons are pretty easily puggable on veteran. Some (like City of Ash 2, Crypt of Hearts 2) can be painful with a meh group. The DLC dungeons on vet are absolutely challenging and require tight attention to fight mechanics and such.

Harrow posted:

Also, how long are trials, generally? Are they huge raids like WoW's raids, or mostly focused on a handful of boss fights (or even just isolated fights) like FFXIV's?

That also depends. The Craglorn trials and MoL from Thieves Guild are all more of a WoW/EQ style long raid with plenty of trash mobs. The more recent trials (Asylum Sanctorium and Cloudrest) have a hanful of bosses and no trash mobs.

Harrow posted:

Yeah I'm starting to wish I'd done the main quest for the base game before Morrowind's, if only because apparently there's more Naryu Virian in the Ebonheart Pact ones and she treats you like a friend if you've worked with her before, which is cool. I'm guessing that doesn't go backwards :v:

Actually, if you do Morrowind first and then run into Naryu afterwards in the EP main story quest, she does (kinda?) remember you. They changed a few lines of her dialogue when you first meet her in Deshaan, but the rest was left alone.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Beefeater posted:

That also depends. The Craglorn trials and MoL from Thieves Guild are all more of a WoW/EQ style long raid with plenty of trash mobs. The more recent trials (Asylum Sanctorium and Cloudrest) have a hanful of bosses and no trash mobs.

To expand on this, the Craglorn trials go from pretty drat short to longish, with non-hardmode Aetherian Archive being about 20 minutes with a solid group, non-hardmode Hel-Ra Citadel being 20-ish, and either hard or non-hard Sanctum Ophidia being about 30-40 mins because holy gently caress trash mobs.

Maw of Lorkhaj is pretty long compared to any of those unless you know what you're doing. For example, the speed run cheevo is 40 mins. Most runs take 45-60 mins with a solid, experienced group making a couple of mistakes or playing it safe. A less experienced group could take over an hour. A group that is practicing the Twins fight has been in there since the Morrowind patch and their families miss them.

Halls of Fabrication takes over 40 mins on normal just because it's so drat long. An inexperienced group in vHoF is commiting hours, basically. Mine and DoriDori240's core group, on our first clear, took something like 2 hours. This was after several weeks of runs that were over 4 hours and DIDN'T clear. HoF is a big bitch and it smells bad.

Asylum Sanctorium is the total opposite. A run that isn't a +1 or hardmode is a nice little 12 minute jaunt. We tend to do +1 in around 20 mins or so. Hardmode is loving hard and we don't have that done yet but hopefully we will literally tonight.

Same kinda goes for Cloudrest. You can do Cloudrest in like 10 mins on normal. 15 on vet. Vet hardmode is balls hard and we haven't even touched that poo poo yet.

Basically there's something for everyone these days. Sometimes it's nice to bang out an nCR run while waiting for your group to come back from being AFK, sometimes it's great to poopsock a vHoF pug run (don't loving do this dear lord oh god the memories are seared in it never ends the nightmare never ends help me), and sometimes you do a quick vAA gear run for gold jewels and funsies.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I remember when the goon guild tried HoF.

Good times :allears:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Harrow posted:

It’s more that the standard edition of the game includes Morrowind, right? I didn’t have to get ESO Plus for it.

ESO Plus includes Morrowind. Morrowind is now DLC, like Orsinium and Dark Brotherhood.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JackBadass posted:

ESO Plus includes Morrowind. Morrowind is now DLC, like Orsinium and Dark Brotherhood.

Huh, fair enough. It looks like the "Standard Edition" also includes Morrowind so I'm not really sure why it's also included in ESO Plus unless there's somewhere I missed where you can buy just the base version of ESO without Morrowind. See: https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store/product/eso_standard

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

some people had just the base game without morrowind when they made the switch earlier this year for morrowind to be included with the basegame so its mostly for them

how many people have + but some how never picked up morrowind i dont know though

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Could I get an invite to the guild? I'm @Azuth0667SA.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Could I also get an invite? Account name is Frohike999, character name is Frohike, not sure which you need.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I finished the Morrowind story last night and I was surprised at how flashy and apocalyptic it got. That was pretty fun.

Does ESO use WoW-style phasing? Because that was kinda neat.

Now to do the Clockwork City! I want to grab some of the motifs in that that I think come from daily quests--are those the kind of thing you can do solo or are they related to trials/dungeons?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 22, 2018

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Harrow posted:

I finished the Morrowind story last night and I was surprised at how flashy and apocalyptic it got. That was pretty fun.

Does ESO use WoW-style phasing? Because that was kinda neat.

It does yeah but not nearly as hamfisted.

e:

quote:

Now to do the Clockwork City! I want to grab some of the motifs in that that I think come from daily quests--are those the kind of thing you can do solo or are they related to trials/dungeons?

You can get the Apostle and Ebonshadow motifs from the dailies which are both very cool sets.
One of the dailies will always be a world boss which requires a group. The rest are soloable.

Lima fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 22, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I noticed it seemed a lot more seamless, though part of that is probably because any transitions between phases happened while I was indoors so the only immediate change I noticed was the sound.

Though it was cool to walk out of Vivec's palace and immediately see Baar Dau come crashing down and suddenly stop. (I have no idea if we're spoiler tagging things here but I figure I might as well be safe in case other people are new like me.)

People did tell me the story quests were good in this so I guess they weren't wrong :v: Fun characters you get to hang out with, too.

Lima posted:

You can get the Apostle and Ebonshadow motifs from the dailies which are both very cool sets.
One of the dailies will always be a world boss which requires a group. The rest are soloable.

Yep, those are the exact motifs I was hoping to grab. Hell yeah.

Is it possible to jump in on world bosses before level 50 or would I be better off sticking to the soloable ones at first?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Side thing: I know that datamined "one handed plus rune" weapon set ended up being a false alarm (that icon's just the icon for the skills tab in the menu) but it makes a lot of sense as a potentially "easy" new weapon set for ZOS to add. (Easy is in quotes because I know nothing is truly easy in software development of any kind.)

They wouldn't even need new weapon models or light/heavy attack animations. Runes can be off-hand only like shields and just look like a little glowing symbol on your hand and/or just some fire/ice/lightning around your hand in combat, while your main hand is just the one-handed weapons that are already in the game. Same light and heavy attack animations as one hand plus shield, but with new skills, passives, and an ultimate for a "spellsword" playstyle. Still more work than adding a new skill line like Psijic Order, naturally, but considerably less than adding something that would require a whole new set of animations.

Anyway I hope they do it someday because they love to show characters fighting with single swords and shooting spells in their trailers and, like a lot of dumb nerds, I love me a spellsword playstyle

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Harrow posted:

Side thing: I know that datamined "one handed plus rune" weapon set ended up being a false alarm (that icon's just the icon for the skills tab in the menu) but it makes a lot of sense as a potentially "easy" new weapon set for ZOS to add. (Easy is in quotes because I know nothing is truly easy in software development of any kind.)

They wouldn't even need new weapon models or light/heavy attack animations. Runes can be off-hand only like shields and just look like a little glowing symbol on your hand and/or just some fire/ice/lightning around your hand in combat, while your main hand is just the one-handed weapons that are already in the game. Same light and heavy attack animations as one hand plus shield, but with new skills, passives, and an ultimate for a "spellsword" playstyle. Still more work than adding a new skill line like Psijic Order, naturally, but considerably less than adding something that would require a whole new set of animations.

Anyway I hope they do it someday because they love to show characters fighting with single swords and shooting spells in their trailers and, like a lot of dumb nerds, I love me a spellsword playstyle

I get kind of frustrated with video games' general obsession with characters having a weapon in each hand... It's not really that practical. I would enjoy this option just to have a more normal-looking, down-to-earth swordsman character.

I'm the type of nerd that prefers a "low fantasy" aesthetic, which sadly is incredibly hard to find in RPG's. At least with ESO's outfit system I can give my characters swords and armor that look reasonable. I just wish I could get rid of the awful muddy red glow from enchantments... You spend all this gold to "dye" a weapon and then the game is like "guess what, gently caress you, it's neon red now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
When the outfit system first came out it would suppress the enchantment hues if you changed the look of your weapons. They "fixed" that in the next patch and now it's constantly visible instead. I liked having non-constantly-glowy weapons. :(