Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gently caress my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So is La Stella going to cry again when he gets sent down for a week?

I don't think it's a bad move. The team needs to hit and you can replace Murphy with Russell in late game. This does make me wonder if Bryant's injury is worse than they're saying.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

So is La Stella going to cry again when he gets sent down for a week?

I don't think it's a bad move. The team needs to hit and you can replace Murphy with Russell in late game. This does make me wonder if Bryant's injury is worse than they're saying.

Apparently Bryant is taking live batting practice today, so unless you’re worried he’s going to be rusty for the next month+ this move doesn’t make sense to me aside from all the outside stuff.

Yes, he’s been good since the break but where are the at bats for everyone? Hopefully Murphy (or Russell) agrees with the bench lifestyle.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I just don't really understand the need for Murphy, or are the Cubs required to pick up an rear end in a top hat late in the season?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Russell is playing through a hand injury and is an offensive blackhole as a result, and Ben can't play every day. My guess is Bote gets 3B until Bryant is back, Javy slides to SS, Murphy gets 2B, and Russell gets lots of rest if not a straight up DL trip.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I mean, at least he only has lovely views and didn't actually pull a gun on and hit a woman?

Yeah, I got nothin.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
He hasn't abused any women!

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

gently caress this poo poo

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

I just don't really understand the need for Murphy, or are the Cubs required to pick up an rear end in a top hat late in the season?

He'll be on the verge of a WS MVP when he botches an easy double play in game 7 and gives up the tying run.

So it is written.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

AsInHowe posted:

He hasn't abused any women!

The moral hurdles one must overcome for the Cubs to deem you of strong character are truly titanic.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I heard Hitler was actually very nice to Eva Braun. :godwin:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
At least it's not Ryan Braun?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I’m just going to leave this here, https://www.outsports.com/2018/3/6/17084216/billy-bean-daniel-murphy-mlb-gay-lifestyle

Maybe it was ignorant comments made from literal ignorance, maybe it’s a case of “Look here at my new bla....I mean gay friend”. I’m not qualified to judge, i’ll just say I would have passed and his defense sucks.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I heard Hitler was actually very nice to Eva Braun. :godwin:

Your Taint posted:

At least it's not Ryan Braun?

Pro-tier post sequencing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just to pile on this shitshow it's been pointed out that while he hasn't played the position since 2016, Murphy was always a way better 3B than he was a 2B, so this could also be a sign that the Cubs aren't optimistic about Bryant coming back any time soon.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress Daniel Murphy

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

Just to pile on this shitshow it's been pointed out that while he hasn't played the position since 2016, Murphy was always a way better 3B than he was a 2B, so this could also be a sign that the Cubs aren't optimistic about Bryant coming back any time soon.

So Murphy at 3B, Bote at 2B and Baez at SS? Feels like either way we take a hit on D at 2B.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

gently caress Daniel Murphy

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yu Darvish out for the season with a "Stress Reaction" in his arm

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I can't say I didn't see this coming, but it still blows. And I thought the first year of Lester's deal was a mixed back, this has been an absolute shitshow by comparison.

Also Addy is scratched tonight for "shoulder, hand, and leg issues". Considering he's apparently been dealing with a hand injury sapping all of his ability to hit since loving July you'd think he's have been on the DL by now, but this is the Cubs so he keeps playing until he literally falls apart at the seams. Why is this team so loving bad at using the DL?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

When did we hire the Mets training staff?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Also Addy is scratched tonight for "shoulder, hand, and leg issues". Considering he's apparently been dealing with a hand injury sapping all of his ability to hit since loving July you'd think he's have been on the DL by now, but this is the Cubs so he keeps playing until he literally falls apart at the seams. Why is this team so loving bad at using the DL?

Addison has never been a good hitter. Maybe the injury is making him terrible now but his normal self isn't much better.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

here's a thought: gently caress daniel murphy

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Currently vigorously drinking to this.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

Currently vigorously drinking to this.

It's also Yellow Tuesday still.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The sad thing is that Murphy will immediately be their best hitter.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How did every young hitter on this team besides Javy regress?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's gonna happen. Cardinals bullshit.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

R.D. Mangles posted:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
One of you nerds probably knows this:

Scoring exactly one run in five consecutive games via solo HR has to be a first, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Here's a thought: gently caress the Cardinals and Daniel Murphy?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The sentiment is mutual, but as long as the Cubs are going to continue with their "one solo dinger per game" strategy, they deserve Murphy. gently caress this limp-dicked offense.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I don’t know what the gently caress is going on, but it ain’t winning any games.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Miz Kriss posted:

I don’t know what the gently caress is going on, but it ain’t winning any games.

I beg to differ, they won 2 games with a mostly absent offense.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm out of town for a few days and lose to the Tigers and acquire Daniel Murphey?

What the hell is happening

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I don't really agree with the overall bent of this David Haugh article, but it does contain the nugget that the Cubs only approved the trade "after receiving assurances that Murphy had worked with Major League Baseball about being more inclusive since making those [homophobic] comments." I'd need to hear it from Murphy before I actually bought it though so until then I'm treating it at about the same level as the Astros' "unprecedented due diligence" on Osuna.

I am curious how much if at all Chicago sports media is going to bring attention to it. With Chapman his domestic violence suspension was fresh and so was pretty much talking point #1, but Murphy's comments are years old now and I've seen several sites praise the signing without even bringing up the bigotry. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole scene just tries to discreetly ignore it, particularly if he comes right out of the gate hitting well.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm going to a Chicago Dogs game tonight. Maybe I can finally see a team score more than 1 run.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm going to a Chicago Dogs game tonight. Maybe I can finally see a team score more than 1 run.

Poque, Chitown Eddie, and I all went to their first ever home game. Their closer had a 2-run lead in the 9th and gave up 6 runs.

Overall it was an awesome experience. Their mascots rule and their concessions are much more reasonably priced than a MLB game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ZachZaidman/status/1032352362218840065?s=19

• Locked thread