Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Magnuslord posted:

I found Mushishi to be an enjoyable watch. I finally bought the first season on DVD because the only available Blu Ray option was exorbitant.

It's a great anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Magnuslord posted:

I found Mushishi to be an enjoyable watch. I finally bought the first season on DVD because the only available Blu Ray option was exorbitant.
It's pretty good!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/nocontextCV/status/1031604701127761922

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I want a castlevania game that's chibi robo style 3d adventure game helping monsters solve problems in their daily lives

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Or a new castlevania rear end castlevania cause it turns out the part i love about castlevania gameplay new or old isnt the platforming or the free map exploration, it's just castlevania and the things that live in it

All these indie devs making their own metroid castlevania procedurally generated will never satisfy that hunger.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 22, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sharkopath posted:

Or a new castlevania rear end castlevania cause it turns out the part of love about castlevania gameplay and new isnt the platforming or the free map exploration, it's just castlevania and the things that live in it

All these indie devs making their own metroid castlevania procedurally generated will never satisfy that hunger.

Same

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
My favorite things that live in Castlevania are the confession booth ghosts in Symphony of the Night

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I love that weird little room, it has its own music that isn't used anywhere else in the game, and with the Japanese voice track the priest actually says something to you but it got cut from the original western release.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I normally do enjoy a good Metroidvania, but Sharko is right: Castlevania has a certain charm/je ne sais quoi that's awfully hard to ape.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like the ballroom ghosts both as bosses and just a regular enemy that fills an arena it's always fun.

For the classics tho its gotta be the mighty bone tower

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I mean honestly who doesn't just want to live in that castle and hang out with ghosts and monsters all day

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like how you find gardeners and maids and stuff like that in the castle. Dracula keeps a lot of monsters around but he also cares about having a nice place to live

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Hungry posted:

I mean honestly who doesn't just want to live in that castle and hang out with ghosts and monsters all day

:yeah:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sharkopath posted:

I like the ballroom ghosts both as bosses and just a regular enemy that fills an arena it's always fun.

???

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

No the dinosaur skulls, it's a classic enemy even tho they're mostly stoogaps.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:black101:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

*unzips*

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

*unzips*

Your sig is broken...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Knorth posted:

It's a great anime

Some might argue that it is, in fact, The Best Anime.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

What’s in the bowl

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

udon probably

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope it's Katsudon. :twisted:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Mentat Radnor posted:

I've been reading the Initial D manga since I saw the whole drat thing was on mangadex, but now I got to some chapters that are just crappy scans of the official english print volumes where the characters are named "Tak" and "Iggy" and poo poo like that. Shakin' my drat head, who is responsible for this.

The english dub of Initial D is just horrible and cringey and I hate it. Subs are the way to go.

That being said I watched the first 2 seasons of Saiki K with English dubs and now I have only subs for season 3 and I am not okay with this. It's completely different.

Oh yeah when I get home from Bumfuck VA I gotta snap some pictures of one of my tenants' cars and toolbox. He's got a shitload of anime stickers on it so y'all can tell me if he rules or sucks and it'll be a nice AI crossover.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Sharkopath posted:

Or a new castlevania rear end castlevania cause it turns out the part i love about castlevania gameplay new or old isnt the platforming or the free map exploration, it's just castlevania and the things that live in it

i always wish the walkspeed was a little faster, but they are strangely engrossing

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

That being said I watched the first 2 seasons of Saiki K with English dubs and now I have only subs for season 3 and I am not okay with this. It's completely different.

Don’t let strange quark see this

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
honestly like, the subs v. dubs thing depends really heavily on whichever one you watch a series with first

like even if the english dub is mediocre compared to the japanese dub, it's still gonna be weird and jarring to make that switch

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I generally prefer dubs to subs but I also generally like watching things subtitled and nothing bothers me more than when a service has the dub but the subtitles are translated differently so I almost always end up watching subs on netflix, this is my plight

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixrje2rXLMA

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I really can't stand dubs except for a very small handful of shows which have, you know, actual good voice acting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only good dubs are Manga Ent Cyber City Oedo and Streamline Fist of the North Star movie

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

The only good dubs are Manga Ent Cyber City Oedo and Streamline Fist of the North Star movie

akira dub is good

tetsuo you PEABRAIN

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wonder if there's a correlation between preferring dubs and living in a country where most media is already in your own language.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I prefer subs over dubs as a rule, not necessarily due to quality but because when I consume any kind of media I want what I experience to be as close to the original as possible. Dubs are further removed from the original than subs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Radical Face did a really good cover of jolene and I wish I had it on hand.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just take a couple weekends off gaming and learn japanese, how hard could it be!

*still can't kanji 15 years later*

also, I had to grab subs for cells at work, tons of terms and phrases outside my comfort zone for some reason :v: last time i needed subs before that was stand alone complex

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Is this like the old chat threads? Can I post fan art and all that? The new chat thread got deleted.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Droyer posted:

I prefer subs over dubs as a rule, not necessarily due to quality but because when I consume any kind of media I want what I experience to be as close to the original as possible. Dubs are further removed from the original than subs.

This is basically all it comes down to to me. The people making the animation are also the ones casting and directing the voice actors and theyre going to have a better idea of what they want the characters to sound and act like.

I also turn subtitles on for shows already in English, so im sort of a crazy person

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mill Village posted:

Is this like the old chat threads? Can I post fan art and all that? The new chat thread got deleted.

Its a chat thread. Do whatever. Chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mill Village posted:

Yes, you can use this like the old chat threads.