Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

So what expensive restaurants have you goons visited? (Name and city) Today plan to go to Lawry’s to have some prime rib and buttery corn and their famous spinning bowl salad in Beverly Hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
heh, you probably haven't heard of it... but let's just say on the last shrimpfest i put down a few dozen

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
SUBWAY IS GETTING TOO EXPENSIVE

Serious post, the best place I've probably ever eaten was The Butcher and Boar in Minneapolis. It specializes in large cuts of meat which is what I like. If the most expensive place you eat is a seafood restaurant than you had better be a girl.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah those stupid girls cant appreciate a good piece of meat like a carnivore alpha male like myself

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blast of Confetti posted:

yeah those stupid girls cant appreciate a good piece of meat like a carnivore alpha male like myself

Sir, you have taken my assault on those who prefer seafood to land animals and turned it into a misogynist comment.

It was originally a misandrist comment about men being feminized by food choices which in turn is misogynist by assuming that a woman's choices are less important than a man's.

This nuance makes all of the difference in the world between blatant hatred and a shitpost. Good Day Sir :tipshat:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I went to Stephen Starr’s Butcher and Singer restaurant with 3 of my friends when I was like 25 and the meal was around $900. I paid for everything except the drinks. It was all really good except for some reason the $145 porterhouse was salted all to hell and covered up a lot of what was an otherwise huge and perfectly cooked steak. The building was beautiful though and they had that weird thing where an old man towels off your hands in the bathroom

When we were leaving my friend Joe said he thought it was customary to tip the maitre d so I thanked him and gave him $20 and he looked at me all confused and I was like “I don’t think I was supposed to do that!” And Joe explained that he saw it on Curb your Enthusiasm

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
not really an 'expensive restaurant' story but when i was a kid we took a trip to England and my mom and her sister wanted to do High Tea at the Ritz so we did, ate tons of cucumber sandwiches and tea and in the end the bill was hundreds of dollars. good tea though...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

normal people speak instead of "good restaurants", op

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
had a $100 plate of gross food at a nice restaurant
had a $15 hamburger
had hamburgers delivered at a ridiculous fee
never again to all of this. if i want to throw money away i can buy auto repair tools ill probably use once

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I went to Wendy's recently instead of McDonald's

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
My ex and I went to Roka Akor in Chicago for my birthday a few years back, and our waiter was so terrible to us that the restaurant fired him & gave us $200 worth of omakase.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
this place recently opened up in my city its super loving nice and the steak is good as gently caress. blowing money on food is fun sometimes. GET BEEFY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
loving shitloads, all the time, what about them

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
The most expensive places I've been in Montreal were Rib'n'Beef Steakhouse, Gibby's and Moishe's Steakhouse.

Gibby's was pretty disappointing if the cheapest of the 3 at ~100$ per person with wine. R'n'B was probably more on the 150+$ per person (without wine) level but had amazing service and the staff didn't try to swindle you a plate of portabello mushrooms for 30$ (ie Gibby's), food was also pretty darn good.

Since then I realized it's easy as hell to cook a very good steak you can buy at a butcher's for a fraction of the price and so I really don't go to steakhouses anymore unless it's with friends for some occasion. It's fun to save money and not pay a 500% markup on wine.

Chinatown posted:

this place recently opened up in my city its super loving nice and the steak is good as gently caress. blowing money on food is fun sometimes. GET BEEFY

If the steak is that good, you can easily split that porterhouse 2-3 ways which makes it way cheaper and you can get something besides a huge piece of meat to eat.... or not and just die blissfully.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 22, 2018

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

china bot posted:

My ex and I went to Roka Akor in Chicago for my birthday a few years back, and our waiter was so terrible to us that the restaurant fired him & gave us $200 worth of omakase.

Storytime? What did they do?

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Piggy Smalls posted:

So what expensive restaurants have you goons visited? (Name and city) Today plan to go to Lawry’s to have some prime rib and buttery corn and their famous spinning bowl salad in Beverly Hills.

try some of their seasoning salt its really good

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

or not and just die blissfully.

:yeah:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sometimes i order off the value menu :monocle:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
What's expensive in this context? I paid like $25 for a burger once, but it wasn't very good :shrug:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
My then-boyfriend and I spent $300 on sushi once. It was actually worth it.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

UltraRed posted:

Storytime? What did they do?

Nothing that would make an interesting story, just openly condescended to us, would walk away from our table silently when we'd ask a question, etc. When we ordered five rolls of sushi to split between the two of us, he shamed us into only getting four. I didn't complain while I was there (my ex even gave him a 15% tip), but I ended up leaving a three-star OpenTable review where I said "the food was great, but our waiter made us feel bad about ourselves." The manager called and said that it was the third time he'd gotten complaints about that waiter, so it wasn't just me.

If it hadn't happened, I would have never known the joy of apology omakase, which is the fanciest & most flavorful kind.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I've been to Basi Italia, a bomb rear end incredibly awesome modern Italian place, here in Columbus. I've also been to Kihachi, a tiny little wonderful omakase place run by masterful Japanese chef with very limited hours. It might be closing soon though... :(

I've had other very pricey meals in New York, Chicago, Detroit, and other places, but nothing recently that I consider a unique high-end expensive restaurant.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

I think the most I've personally paid for a meal was when I took my friend out (also to a Lawry's, oddly enough) because she'd never been there before. It wasn't as fancy or exciting as I remembered it being when I was little, and I felt bad, like maybe I had hyped the place up to her too much. See, my grandpa used to like to go there, and the thing was that the family was gonna back one day when he got better. He passed away...actually 30 years ago this month, come to think of it. Anyway, we stopped going to Lawry's after that, which suited me well enough because half of the family doesn't eat meat.

Anyway, my favorite part about that place was at the end when you ordered tea, they'd present you with this nice wooden box to make a selection from. But they didn't do that when I took my friend. I bet you can get better steak and better service somewhere else, but it's not a terrible place if you are into that sort of thing, I guess.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

the best food is cheap food that the peasants eat and then rich people discover and make expensive

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Took my girl to Meritage in St. Paul for her birthday last year - seven course tasting menu + wine ran me a few hundo.

Dropped $350 for me and a few buds to eat sushi and hot sake in Vegas a few years ago.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Went to a place called HVOR in Montreal that was real good.

Mise en Place & Bern's in Tampa are also v. good.

Two Urban Licks & Gunshow in Atlanta.

Smoking Goat & Trust in San Diego.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

china bot posted:

Nothing that would make an interesting story, just openly condescended to us, would walk away from our table silently when we'd ask a question, etc. When we ordered five rolls of sushi to split between the two of us, he shamed us into only getting four. I didn't complain while I was there (my ex even gave him a 15% tip), but I ended up leaving a three-star OpenTable review where I said "the food was great, but our waiter made us feel bad about ourselves." The manager called and said that it was the third time he'd gotten complaints about that waiter, so it wasn't just me.

If it hadn't happened, I would have never known the joy of apology omakase, which is the fanciest & most flavorful kind.

Was this actually in Japan somewhere?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Eleven Madison Park was great, Masa was good, Gramercy Tavern was disappointing. Went to a Daniel Boloud place, can't remember which one, which had really obnoxious service, a guy hovered behind the table the entire meal and refilled my water glass after every single sip.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Aesop Poprock posted:

Was this actually in Japan somewhere?

Nope, Chicago.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Fogo de chao:getin:

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
212 Steakhouse NYC

I'm poor and don't try to hide it but this steakhouse has the nicest coolest staff ever and the food is all michelin star worthy. the customer basis is hella wack tho: pretentious uppity types who can't stand seeing two people actually enjoy each others company. Last I was there we were the last table they sat for the night and the treated us great, but I don't want to go around saying book really late because gently caress that these guys want to go home after all.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like food too much to poo poo on it.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
I spent 300 dollars to eat at Olive Garden

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
you can tell a loving pleb because their favorite is always a steakhouse

loving grow a palate

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
not that steak is bad, but it caps at the quality of a steak, which experiences diminishing returns at about $65

but it doesn't require special finesse compared to truly superb cuisine

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if you say fogo de chao I will loving lose my poo poo

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Pick posted:

you can tell a loving pleb because their favorite is always a steakhouse

loving grow a palate
Steakhouses are traditionally the most expensive type of restaurant, and they often serve seafood. This thread is about expensive restaurants, not necessarily the best tasting.

grow a parietal lobe

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

Thots and Prayers posted:

Took my girl to Meritage in St. Paul for her birthday last year - seven course tasting menu + wine ran me a few hundo

'sup buddy? I took my pappy to Meritage recently. We didn't get a course menu, but still really enjoyed our food.

The best Japanese food in the Twin Cities is Kado no Mise. Simple, delicious, unpretentious, like Japanese food should be. I went with my boyfriend for my birthday, and we spent way more than we planned because we wanted to try lots of stuff, plus we both love drinking. I really want to go to the Kaiseki restaurant, too.

I was going to mention a bunch of restaurants I like, but I realized this is the expensive restaurants thread, and not delicious restaurants thread.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a toucan served out of his own bill! :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My grandma ate at some fancy restaurant that had lion on the menu. She said she tried some and it was gross.

• Locked thread