Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Phenotype posted:

Huh, now that's kind of an interesting comparison. Why isn't Pokemon's fanbase nearly as awful? There's even actual non-pony women in the cartoon.

I'm pretty sure that most adult Pokemon fans grew up with the show and were fans at the appropriate age. So it tends to be a nostalgia thing.

Takoluka posted:

are you not familiar with the rabbit hole that is pokégirls

Never google the term "pokephillia," unless you want the term "cursed image" to take on a whole new meaning.

To get back on topic, "oh jeez Rick... oh jeez."

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Watch whatever shows you want, kids' or otherwise, just be self aware and don't be an rear end in a top hat! Yaaaaayyyy!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

mutata posted:

Watch whatever shows you want, kids' or otherwise, just be self aware and don't be an rear end in a top hat! Yaaaaayyyy!

This but if that were something the internet were capable of.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hey look at this thing those pub guys posted.

Crazy stuff man, what a bunch of morons

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PostNouveau posted:

I can't believe they thought they weren't going to get in trouble. Come on, guys.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Oh. My. God. What happened to your eyes?

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see we really aren't going to want to see anything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

I can't believe they thought they weren't going to get in trouble. Come on, guys.

I know right? You gotta defend your copyrights

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

PostNouveau posted:

It's funny how they insist they were operating "in good faith" when every word is an attempt to substitute clumsy emotional manipulation for even the most basic acknowledgement of good business practices.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
lol Not once did they operate in good faith. Operating in good faith means you contact Adult Swim to get the licensing set up before you start working on implementing your bar idea. They pretty much came up with an idea for a website, created it, and advertised it. Then at the last second, they realized they forgot to register the domain and someone already owned it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It isn't fan art if you're charging for it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the modern method of fanmade licensed material where they assume its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. dudes must not know what happens to the other million dudes who try this

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBLFLpmlWdk

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched five seconds of that and it sucked. Adult Swim was probably sold at "Doc Brown sucks Marty's balls."

adult swim is nasty and they love nasty

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

I watched five seconds of that and it sucked. Adult Swim was probably sold at "Doc Brown sucks Marty's balls."

adult swim is nasty and they love nasty
Yeah, that is a very, very good observation. Well done!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cool

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Yeah, Rick and Morty did not have likely roots.

It's kind of depressing that the joke is at some level still unresolved abuse issues. Well I mean it's already explicitly emotional abuse issues, but it is occasionally hopeful about those.

Whereas the original is just "hi i was abused and i don't know how to cope or express this except through art please help" in cartoon form and it's not very comfortable. I'm not sure it should be, or needs to be though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, Rick and Morty did not have likely roots.

It's kind of depressing that the joke is at some level still unresolved abuse issues. Well I mean it's already explicitly emotional abuse issues, but it is occasionally hopeful about those.

Whereas the original is just "hi i was abused and i don't know how to cope or express this except through art please help" in cartoon form and it's not very comfortable. I'm not sure it should be, or needs to be though.
Welcome to all art throughout history.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phenotype posted:

Huh, now that's kind of an interesting comparison. Why isn't Pokemon's fanbase nearly as awful? There's even actual non-pony women in the cartoon.

They're called furries.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

This is unreal levels of cognitive dissonance and I wonder how employees of the show feel about unlicensed merchandising. Like how could an adlt business owner think they come out looking OK here?

"Well actually you have to be really smart to leik Rock & Morto..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wasn't the whole McDonald's fiasco not even a real tie-in? Like, the marketing material was generic cartoons, basically no one but the Rick and Morty memers would even understand what they were getting at. (and then they wondered why it went even worse than the My Little Pony promotions)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't the whole McDonald's fiasco not even a real tie-in? Like, the marketing material was generic cartoons, basically no one but the Rick and Morty memers would even understand what they were getting at. (and then they wondered why it went even worse than the My Little Pony promotions)

It was a marketing thing to promote their new chicken strips. They made up some cool art for each sauce flavor to put on the packets and made some posters. A small batch of the meme sauce was created and the art for it was vaguely reminiscent of Rick and Morty but it wasn't official in any sense. It was only about chicken strips.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

It was a marketing thing to promote their new chicken strips. They made up some cool art for each sauce flavor to put on the packets and made some posters. A small batch of the meme sauce was created and the art for it was vaguely reminiscent of Rick and Morty but it wasn't official in any sense. It was only about chicken strips.

It was all about strips
How did it end up like this
It was only 'bout strips
It was only 'bout strips!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Let's see who these Rick and Morty fans really are...

Old Man Brony?!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Cojawfee posted:

I thought it was surprisingly shady for as large a corporation as McDonalds (well, surprisingly visible), they were so obviously trying to ride the wave of the Rick and Morty premiere without having to pay for the licensing. Their chicken strip/sauce promotion for some reason featured sci-fi art that could easily show up behind one of Rick's portals and mentions of alternate dimensions and "the multiverse", except they bent over backwards to avoid any specific mention of the show. They released this really awkwardly-worded podcast after it went so badly in which they kept talking about "the fans" without ever using the words "Rick and Morty" or "Dan Harmon". The whole thing felt like their lawyers had gone over every piece of copy, which made it feel kinda sleazy even before the morons showed up in droves.

e: basically the effective sleazeball lawyer version of what the idiots with the bar tried to do.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 24, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Because it was just a PR team doing it. I doubt the McDonalds bigwigs even knew what was happening until the backlash.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Cojawfee posted:

Because it was just a PR team doing it. I doubt the McDonalds bigwigs even knew what was happening until the backlash.

It doesn't really matter if it was just a 'PR team' or not for McDonald's. They put out an ad campaign that insinuated they were connected to another ip that they didn't own and their actions reflect on McDonald's as a whole. You can't act like a 'few bad apples' made a decision on the behalf of the corporation when the reality is individuals make decisions on behalf of their corporation all the time. I want to assure you that McDonald's doesn't have loose cannon ad execs pulling a fast one on their higher ups, and if they did the fact that their decision was used and made public shows that they were pre-approved to take their own direction with the campaign, which again reflects on McDonald's as a whole.

You really shouldn't let corporations off the hook when they do sleezy or stupid poo poo because it sets a bad precedent. Letting the blame fall on individuals within a corporation doesn't address the decision making process that lead to the harm being done either, which stays in place after the scapegoats are blamed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'll let them off the hook in this case because the rick and morty fans acted like such shitheels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

I'll let them off the hook in this case because the rick and morty fans acted like such shitheels.

It's not like there's anything that can be done about that though.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I remember the Sauce Day.

I kinda thought "oh hey, I'll see if a McD's near me is gonna have the sauce and see if I can pick one up". There was one in the entire city that had it and it was on the other side of town so I didn't go. Then I saw the pictures with hundreds of neckbeards lined up for blocks trying to get one at various cities and loled a lot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My brother and I went. We weren't hellbent on getting sauce, but we figured it could be fun. Maybe chat with some fans or something. But we got there and asked, and they said they weren't getting any that day. No big deal. We got a few burgers and just chilled for a bit.

Then it started to get busy. More people started showing up asking about the sauce, more rick and morty shirts, ect. They all huddled around this Dennis Nedry looking fella who was ranting about how McDonalds hosed everyone over and were completely unorganized and how he got there at 11am for this.
My brother and I looked at each other, snickered at this large angry man, threw our food away, and walked out. At this point, the store was getting fairly packed with people standing around waiting for...something, and it was just not worth being around any more.

Honestly that 15 minutes was more obnoxious and lamer than waiting four hours to get a growing squanchy at that ricktruck thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best part was ignoring it completely, then casually strolling in and getting some like 2 months later and saying “hmm kinda savory that’s fine” and never thinking about it again except to make fun on Rick and Morty fans

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Toalpaz posted:

It doesn't really matter if it was just a 'PR team' or not for McDonald's. They put out an ad campaign that insinuated they were connected to another ip that they didn't own and their actions reflect on McDonald's as a whole. You can't act like a 'few bad apples' made a decision on the behalf of the corporation when the reality is individuals make decisions on behalf of their corporation all the time. I want to assure you that McDonald's doesn't have loose cannon ad execs pulling a fast one on their higher ups, and if they did the fact that their decision was used and made public shows that they were pre-approved to take their own direction with the campaign, which again reflects on McDonald's as a whole.

You really shouldn't let corporations off the hook when they do sleezy or stupid poo poo because it sets a bad precedent. Letting the blame fall on individuals within a corporation doesn't address the decision making process that lead to the harm being done either, which stays in place after the scapegoats are blamed.

As Rick and Morty specifically mentioned, and not just off handledly, McDonald's and a specific product it's not [s]quite[/is] as dodgy as them doing it apropos of nothing like the diner.
Doing the box art though certainly does push it squarely into the scummier side of things. If they had just brought it back and put a small "as soon on Rick and Morty" label on it then I don't really see that as a big deal as it's just you know acknowledging the reality of, yes we are bring these back as a popular show mentioned it, so eh, maybe there's some interest.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cojawfee posted:

When the show wasn't immediately renewed after the end of this season, everybody was all, "Yeah, gently caress it, man, the show jumped the shark, so I'm glad it's not coming back". Then the 70 episodes were announced and the tone went to, "Woo hoo! gently caress yeah!"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

dr_rat posted:

As Rick and Morty specifically mentioned, and not just off handledly, McDonald's and a specific product it's not [s]quite[/is] as dodgy as them doing it apropos of nothing like the diner.

Actually, I think it's scummier for McDonalds to do it than that little bar. I can imagine a couple excited but stupid bar owners who just wanted to dress up their bar like Rick and Morty, even if they'd known how to go about getting licensing, who knows if Adult Swim would have paid any attention to some tiny little bar? Whereas McDonalds is literally the largest restaurant chain in the entire world, with a full staff of lawyers and PR people to tell them exactly how to go about licensing (or how to write their copy so they can't be sued), and Adult Swim is drat well going to pay attention if McDonalds approaches them about putting Rick and Morty in thousands of restaurants around the world. It would have been very easy for them to have done the right thing and set up an official promotion, much easier than the bar owners would have had it.

e: actually, it says the bar owners DID contact Adult Swim but yep, got completely ignored and never heard back from them...so they decided to go ahead anyway lol

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 24, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Might as well post this here, too.

https://twitter.com/spies_please/status/1033069367301423105

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

What have Shonda Rhimes fans ever done and why aren't the toxic rear end CWDC (Arrow/Flash/Supergirl) fans on there

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Whoever wins, we lose.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Some of those fandoms don't really rate imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

While I agree the unlicensed art was a bit much (as well as the refusal to mention the show by name in the podcast), I don't think it was "Let's get away without paying for this IP," I think it was "We're McDonald's, we probably shouldn't openly associate with an adult cartoon."