Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Whenever I tell people I don't drink they look at me like I'm from the moon. Some get incredibly aggressive over it.

It's probably the same kind of people who get mad when someone says they don't eat meat.

"What?!!? You're not exactly like me?!!? I thought you were a good person!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty sure that people who don't drink also don't really go anywhere either, case in point, my parents just sit around all day watching HGTV

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure that people who don't drink also don't really go anywhere either, case in point, my parents just sit around all day watching HGTV

The fact that you think drinking is a prerequisite for being interesting tells me you're not interesting and you know it deep down.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

madmatt112 posted:

The fact that you think drinking is a prerequisite for being interesting tells me you're not interesting and you know it deep down.

Or going places and doing things.

It wasn't that long ago that people were super upset at non-smokers coming to concerts and poo poo.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

It's probably the same kind of people who get mad when someone says they don't eat meat.

"What?!!? You're not exactly like me?!!? I thought you were a good person!"

Yeah that's because they tell you they don't eat meat after you've cooked $60 worth of ribeyes and, oh, they don't like asparagus or corn either, so if someone could just go to mcdonalds and get them a large fry they'd really appreciate it (they don't drive, you see)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nerses IV posted:

Yeah that's because they tell you they don't eat meat after you've cooked $60 worth of ribeyes and, oh, they don't like asparagus or corn either, so if someone could just go to mcdonalds and get them a large fry they'd really appreciate it (they don't drive, you see)

That's pretty different from the situation the guy was talking about.

But yes, arriving at a host's home and complaining about what's offered is a douche move.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Iron Crowned posted:

Lol that you think many of those top 10% aren't people who just stay home and drink all day

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

*30 second bud light commercial about drinking beer being great*

*hushed quick voice saying "enjoy responsibly" at the end*

We are successfully self-regulating you see

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Whenever I tell people I don't drink they look at me like I'm from the moon. Some get incredibly aggressive over it.

Same, or they feel entitled to interrogate me about it and aren't satisfied with true answers

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Bloop posted:

Same, or they feel entitled to interrogate me about it and aren't satisfied with true answers

Just tell them you're a recovering alcoholic. That usually does the trick.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

madmatt112 posted:

Hey! I drink alcohol, therefore I am interesting!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

It's starting to get real annoying to have to put up with all these dumb fad plastic bans. "let's ban plastic bags!" "No wait it's drink straws that's really to blame!"

the only way to actually affect change in this area would be to ban plastic altogether, or put a quotia on to total plastic produced by society. when the grocery story charges me $0.05 per plastic bag "for the envirnment" yet my bread is in a plastic bag, my juice comes in a plastic jug, cerial and crackers have plastic inner liners, etc. 99% of the plastic is from the food packaging! yet I am the one who has to be inconvenienced by buying bags, instead of packaging manufacturers. it's a feel good scam!

It's all feelgood bullshit designed to make individuals feel like they are Making a Difference(tm) meanwhile industrial waste is the source of like 97% of garbage or some similarly ridiculously high percentage.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

It wasn't that long ago that people were super upset at non-smokers coming to concerts and poo poo.

... What?

Who cares dude if you're there to have a good time you're there to have a good time. You don't need to drop E at a rave to have fun, either.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like the majority of people who watch HGTV do so with a glass of wine or bud light in the drink holder of their couch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaXYaiyqGd0

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I feel like the majority of people who watch HGTV do so with a glass of wine or bud light in the drink holder of their couch.

Not my parents, they're sober the whole time and enjoy it when those kids are so stupid because there's no way they can get a house with stainless steel appliances on that budget!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

... What?

Who cares dude if you're there to have a good time you're there to have a good time. You don't need to drop E at a rave to have fun, either.

Yeah, there was a time when non-smokers started refusing to come to events at smoking venues and owners/promoters started making events non-smoking. It pissed a lot of smokers off.

Now you see them all standing outside in little groups sucking their little death dicks.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ate all the Oreos posted:

My favorite bit:

That 7.4 pairs of shoes per person thing sounds like that gun statistic where there's like 13 guns per person in the US but in reality it's just that 1% of the population buys dozens of guns and hoards them

I burn through 2 pairs of shoes a year just from wear. Usually most of the way through a third pair. I walk a loving lot at work though, and used to walk more at a previous warehouse job where I'd walk the soles off shoes in 3 months. If I cared enough to buy dress shoes or if I ever needed to buy boots again (2 good pairs left in the closet from the army), those would probably be every other year expenses.

But funny you say something about hoarding shoes, because there are a lot of people out there that collect sneakers and basketball shoes and poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Aug 22, 2018

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

DrPossum posted:

this is my fave chart

Nice to know I'm leading the pack in something.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

That's ten drinks a day holy poo poo, impressive

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Nice to know I'm leading the pack in something.

I’m between the 9th and top decile. Not bad I guess.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Just tell them you're a recovering alcoholic. That usually does the trick.

There was someone on the radio the other day who talked about trying to turn down drinks in different parts of Europe iirc and depending on the crowd they'd get really suspicious or mad at you, and if you explained you were a recovering alcoholic they'd take it as some kind of personal offense.

Also i'm not sure if this was the same interview or not but a different recovering alcoholic told a story about how this lady got incredibly mad at them for not drinking real champagne at a wedding or something like that, to the point where she dunked a finger in her champagne and forced it into the person's mouth. :stare:

People are really loving weird about booze

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I burn through 2 pairs of shoes a year just from wear. Usually most of the way through a third pair. I walk a loving lot at work though, and used to walk more at a previous warehouse job where I'd walk the soles off shoes in 3 months. If I cared enough to buy dress shoes or if I ever needed to buy boots again (2 good pairs left in the closet from the army), those would probably be every other year expenses.

But funny you say something about hoarding shoes, because there are a lot of people out there that collect sneakers and basketball shoes and poo poo.

Yeah I wear through shoes at around that rate, and I totally understand owning a few different pairs, but the national average being 7.4 seems real suspicious

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I'm kinda mad that booze graph wrapped the bar around a bunch instead of just extending up really far or scaling everything else down, you don't quite get the full impact of just how much more that last bar is compared to the others

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
You can't trust someone who doesn't drink.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There was a thing in a science book that said drinking a beer a day lowered your risk of cancer, so i'm drinking 12, i'm 12 times less likely to get cancer than all of you so take that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ate all the Oreos posted:

There was someone on the radio the other day who talked about trying to turn down drinks in different parts of Europe iirc and depending on the crowd they'd get really suspicious or mad at you, and if you explained you were a recovering alcoholic they'd take it as some kind of personal offense.

Also i'm not sure if this was the same interview or not but a different recovering alcoholic told a story about how this lady got incredibly mad at them for not drinking real champagne at a wedding or something like that, to the point where she dunked a finger in her champagne and forced it into the person's mouth. :stare:

People are really loving weird about booze

Yeah I wear through shoes at around that rate, and I totally understand owning a few different pairs, but the national average being 7.4 seems real suspicious

I think it's the same mentality of people who get way to upset or start demanding answers from you if you say you're not having children. Somehow living your life in a different way from them is deeply disturbing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

There was a thing in a science book that said drinking a beer a day lowered your risk of cancer, so i'm drinking 12, i'm 12 times less likely to get cancer than all of you so take that.

you can lower your chances of dying from cancer by increasing your chances of dying from liver failure

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rutibex posted:

you can lower your chances of dying from cancer by increasing your chances of dying from liver failure

I can get another one of those tho

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Burt Sexual posted:

I can get another one of those tho

They’re not gonna give you another if it’s your fault you hosed up the first one

Unless you’re rich

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

This is a really Australian thing, in my experience. I know a dude who doesn't drink, never has, and I'm like "OK that's cool, it's not for everyone". But he's had people amazed that not only does he not drink, he hasn't ever even tried it like it's some sort of personal affront to their very existence.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Memento posted:

This is a really Australian thing, in my experience. I know a dude who doesn't drink, never has, and I'm like "OK that's cool, it's not for everyone". But he's had people amazed that not only does he not drink, he hasn't ever even tried it like it's some sort of personal affront to their very existence.

Australians are mad.

In the UK, you 'go for a drink' pretty much anytime after work or even at lunch and maybe have a couple and thats it.
In the US, you 'go for a drink' on a friday evening and have exactly one drink and everyone drives home.
In Australia, you 'go for a drink' because something positive may have happened and wake up on tuesday in a bathtub out deep in walla walla with a stuffed koala.

There is no middle ground between 'not drinking' and the example above.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
bunch of softies in here cant handle their carltons

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Clawtopsy posted:

Why? It's not unusual.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pirate Radar posted:

They’re not gonna give you another if it’s your fault you hosed up the first one

Unless you’re rich

Lol

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
What is the scientifically calculated amount of drinking that shields you from both being called gay baby because you drink and being called a gay baby because you don’t drink?

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Maybe if Americans drank more they'd be less weird and angry.

E: wanna see that top decile broken down.

Vaginal Vagrant has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Aug 23, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Maybe if Americans drank more they'd be less weird and angry.

E: wanna see that top decile broken down.

Steelie Georg, who lives in a cave and drinks ten cans of Steelie a day, is an outlier and should not have been counted

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I'd be curious to find out the methods used to gather the data. I absolutely don't doubt there's a swathe of people who never drink, or a few that binge hardcore, but ehhh if it's self reported I'd pretty much dumpster the chart.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I assume bunch of people wrote 42069

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS