Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Burkion posted:

God

Mike

You are just the worst Magna Defender

You could have at least given the powers to some one else

Wait what was wrong with Mike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Like every sixth ranger after they join the team all he does is job. This applies to basically everyone except Tommy in the Saban era. Or they go back to their home planet.

I didn't remember how much of a jobber Jason was but watching these abridged man he loses every fight

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Wait what was wrong with Mike?

It's not just that he keeps losing

He's also a total void of a personality.

And unlike with most cases, like usually when the Sixth Ranger joins the team you're actually getting that character to stick around. So even though Zayne doesn't do much, he's still fun to have.

The Magna Defender is a unique situation, only matched by Jason as Zeo Gold-

But where in Zeo, Trey was a nothing character that everyone was happy to have Jason in over him, because it's trading up for a much better character

We lose one of the most dynamic and interesting characters in Power Rangers history, the original Magna Defender

And instead get Mike.

The human wall paper.

He sure is

There

EDIT: And let me make this perfectly clear.

I did not want the original Magna Defender to come back in Lost Galaxy. Part of what makes him so great is that he DID die heroically and redeemed himself. Bringing him back would have cheapened that immensely.

But the guy who took over for him could have had ANY personality Jesus. I would have been fine with Karone taking up the powers, anyone please

I will always be slightly annoyed when Mike is used for big crossovers like this though, instead of the real Magna Defender, for two big reasons.

Big Reason 1- Time Travel. You could grab him from ANYWHERE before he died, without invalidating anything about his arc.

Bigger Reason 2- He is such a better character than Mike it's not even remotely funny. He is a hero adjacent character unlike anything else in all of Power Rangers and I would kill to see him interact with other characters and teams. Especially other villains and morally grey personas.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 21, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He's gonna be the Magna Defender in Beyond the Grid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

He's gonna be the Magna Defender in Beyond the Grid.

And the dearth of potential stories to tell with that choice saddens me as a writer

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

And the dearth of potential stories to tell with that choice saddens me as a writer

I mean the comics have made Lauren of people interesting

and undoing Magna Defender's sacrifice would be far, far worse.

EDIT - honestly there's something weird about all the members of that team

- Andros killed Zordon and was at the epicenter of a huge upheaval in the balance between good and evil.

- Tanya's entire existence in Angel Grove is a temporal anomaly.

- Heckyl is from another dimension and retains memories of a timeline that doesn't exist anymore.

- Cam hosed with the time space continuum to get his powers.

- Mike was bodyjacked by an extradimensional warrior for half a year and sacrificed his powers to help Terra Venture escape what is basically a subdimension

- Ranger Slayer needs no explanation

so yeah, this team's composition seems very deliberate.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 21, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

I mean the comics have made Lauren of people interesting

and undoing Magna Defender's sacrifice would be far, far worse.

See, you don't have to do that

Just pluck him from before that period

I mean come on, he spent, what, 10,000 years in a pit?

You could TOTALLY have him show up. could even have the VILLAINS recruit him in return for promises of revenge or even restoring his son to life

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

See, you don't have to do that

Just pluck him from before that period

I mean come on, he spent, what, 10,000 years in a pit?

You could TOTALLY have him show up. could even have the VILLAINS recruit him in return for promises of revenge or even restoring his son to life

that'd be fine too

you know what else would also be interesting? using that premise and having Mike face him.

Don't get me wrong. I think Mike, as he is now, is dull as dishwater. But that just means he's untapped potential waiting to be fleshed out. I mean, look at what these comics did for Lauren, like I said. Or hell, the entire MMPR team? And my edit shows that the team selection for BtG is full of cosmic/temporally mysterious characters, so that's another reason to use him.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Or have Magna Defender get brought back to life but have him be royally pissed about it as it means he's been separated from his son again, so while he's willing to help out, he acts very bipolar in how he fights, some fights he's basically suicidal in not avoiding enemy attacks and using risky moves, in others he's ultra pragmatic and immediately whips out the finishing moves before the monsters can barely say anything(including at least once where he arrives on the scene already combined with his Galactabeast and does his Zord scale finisher on a group of regular scaled monsters)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If People With Weird Backgrounds were the theme, wouldn’t you pick Maya from Lost Galaxy? Tanya was an American high school aged woman who went to Africa to find her missing Indiana Jones parents, when Vile happened to reduce her age to a child without relocating her. People seem to think she grew up in the Savannah or something but she did not. Meanwhile, like Andros, Maya is a member of a human civilization that somehow sprung up in a non-Earth planet. She’s not QUITE as weird as Andros because she can’t make rocks float with her mind, but in the grand scheme of things it’s a small distinction.

My guess was the Beyond The Grid team are of people who were hosed over by Drakkon in some way and have a new motivation. Andros is likely in it because Drakkon almost killed TJ and left him loooost innnn spaaaaace. Ranger Slayer’s connection is obvious. Tanya’s in it because Zeo Universe’s Tommy was killed by Drakkon. Mike’s involvement probably relates to the fate of Terra Venture since it’s carrying a bunch of rangers and might be wrecked before Lost Galaxy even happens at this rate.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 21, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Burkion posted:

It's not just that he keeps losing

He's also a total void of a personality.

And unlike with most cases, like usually when the Sixth Ranger joins the team you're actually getting that character to stick around. So even though Zayne doesn't do much, he's still fun to have.

The Magna Defender is a unique situation, only matched by Jason as Zeo Gold-

But where in Zeo, Trey was a nothing character that everyone was happy to have Jason in over him, because it's trading up for a much better character

We lose one of the most dynamic and interesting characters in Power Rangers history, the original Magna Defender

And instead get Mike.

The human wall paper.

He sure is

There

EDIT: And let me make this perfectly clear.

I did not want the original Magna Defender to come back in Lost Galaxy. Part of what makes him so great is that he DID die heroically and redeemed himself. Bringing him back would have cheapened that immensely.

But the guy who took over for him could have had ANY personality Jesus. I would have been fine with Karone taking up the powers, anyone please

I will always be slightly annoyed when Mike is used for big crossovers like this though, instead of the real Magna Defender, for two big reasons.

Big Reason 1- Time Travel. You could grab him from ANYWHERE before he died, without invalidating anything about his arc.

Bigger Reason 2- He is such a better character than Mike it's not even remotely funny. He is a hero adjacent character unlike anything else in all of Power Rangers and I would kill to see him interact with other characters and teams. Especially other villains and morally grey personas.

It always saddens me Zane does so little in in Space. I liked him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Craptacular! posted:

If People With Weird Backgrounds were the theme, wouldn’t you pick Maya from Lost Galaxy? Tanya was an American high school aged woman who went to Africa to find her missing Indiana Jones parents, when Vile happened to reduce her age to a child without relocating her. People seem to think she grew up in the Savannah or something but she did not. Meanwhile, like Andros, Maya is a member of a human civilization that somehow sprung up in a non-Earth planet. She’s not QUITE as weird as Andros because she can’t make rocks float with her mind, but in the grand scheme of things it’s a small distinction.

My guess was the Beyond The Grid team are of people who were hosed over by Drakkon in some way and have a new motivation. Andros is likely in it because Drakkon almost killed TJ and left him loooost innnn spaaaaace. Ranger Slayer’s connection is obvious. Tanya’s in it because Zeo Universe’s Tommy was killed by Drakkon. Mike’s involvement probably relates to the fate of Terra Venture since it’s carrying a bunch of rangers and might be wrecked before Lost Galaxy even happens at this rate.

I think Maya is weirder than Tanya because she can hear animals over subspace and talk with them

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It’s specifically people with weird backgrounds whose characters have had some sort of weird time travel or cosmic-level poo poo happening to them, not just simply having an unusual backstory. Tanya’s being in Angel Grove after time fixed itself makes no logical sense.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nodosaur posted:

It’s specifically people with weird backgrounds whose characters have had some sort of weird time travel or cosmic-level poo poo happening to them, not just simply having an unusual backstory. Tanya’s being in Angel Grove after time fixed itself makes no logical sense.

How? Not everything in the Kid Ranger stuff makes sense, but they got younger sitting at desks in high school, until suddenly they were children in a high school. People’s locations didn’t move. It’s not like a bunch of adults reverted to high school age and suddenly occupied the school. Rocky didn’t move back to Stone Canyon just because he was there the first time he was seven.

Again, if you think too hard about everything (particularly things like Lt Stone, an adult, also shown becoming a child) you’ll see Saban really wanted that Rangers As Kids story and didn’t care about being narratively inconsistent in getting there. But Tanya is an American girl about the Rangers age who just happened to take a trip around the world chasing down her parents, when the space wizardry dropped her age about 10 years. People who can’t pay attention try to outsmart the plot and say poo poo like, “wow she picked up American customs fast” but she wasn’t originally from Africa, she was a foreign visitor.

The whole time travel element was particularly poorly handled, because it was Power Rangers; and they didn’t want to have to present a changed world the way shows with a budget will by showing you 80s cars and playing A Flock Of Seagulls to establish that the whole world went back in time. Instead, everybody’s bodies shrunk but the world remained the same time and place, because that’s easier to produce on a shoestring budget.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You're reading a lot into what I said. I was only talking about the time travel aspects, I don't know where you're getting this stuff you're assuming I'm saying about her culturally.

Like, fine, I accept your criticisms about the premise of why she was picked for the book, but I don't get why you're going into that other stuff like it was an argument I was seriously making.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

A wizard did it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lt. Stone become a kid, but Mr. Wilton still a grown man.

Plausible explanation: Lt. Stone was younger than he looked, and Mr. Wilton older to the point where 10 years don't make much difference.

Headcanon explanation: Mr. Wilton by virtue of having been turned into a monster is now immune to this nonsense. And very confused.

My favorite thing about the alien rangers Arc, is this one old lady rear end in a top hat poking her nose where it doesn't belong THREATENS TO CALL THE POLICE ON KAT AND TOMMY FOR STANDING AROUND IN A PARK UNSUPERVISED. When they get the Zeo Crystal and age everyone back up ten years that bitch probably died.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Oh no, Master Vile turned back time by ten years! We can't use our powers!"

"More importantly, Tommy, his actions have recombined Slovakia with the Czech Republic. Truly a cruel villain."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I cannot send you to Ninjor's Temple again, the desert of despair is in East Germany.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They don't make team finishing moves like they used to

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1031942253672112129?s=19

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, let me tell you about King Midas.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I love tokugifs. :allears:

Later seasons discovered that putting the ball in a cannon was much more effective than spiking it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I know this is the second episode ever but they seriously couldn't do a second take so Blue doesn't totally flub catching the ball?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/BrennanMejia/status/1032298136197185536?s=19

The perspective makes Brennan look like he had just a crazy monster hand

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I know this is the second episode ever but they seriously couldn't do a second take so Blue doesn't totally flub catching the ball?

It's Toku. of course not.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The outtakes were amazing. Ball bouncing off his head, puking inside his helmet, falcons falling from the sky to attack him.

That was the best take.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgxtwKqJi6Q

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo they remembered his Dino Thunder powers

I never

EVER

Thought those would be used ever again

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They seemed to have actually like

paid attention to stuff for this crossover

if this were Megaforce Koda would just have Yoshi Sudarso's current haircut

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, didn't one of the other kids have super-speed in DT? I thought Tommy was just invisible?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was just invisible, but Tommy is just that fast naturally

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Conner has super speed only when unmorphed. Only Tommy could use his Dinogem powers when morphed.

That was just normal ranger above average speed.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I see Tommy got RabbitRabbit bottles

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Keep in mind Dino Thunder was one of the first series to start showing the real super human poo poo Rangers could do morphed.

Tommy briefly fought a giant monster morphed and didn't get killed and Conner literally lifted one up and tossed it away.

They also show super speed on occasion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

Keep in mind Dino Thunder was one of the first series to start showing the real super human poo poo Rangers could do morphed.

Tommy briefly fought a giant monster morphed and didn't get killed and Conner literally lifted one up and tossed it away.

They also show super speed on occasion.

Didn't Tommy flat out kill the giant monster from base ranger form?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah but only because his Abaranger counterpart did it first

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Is that why Tommy had spiky hair? Because Asuka did?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GuyUpNorth posted:

I see Tommy got RabbitRabbit bottles
Not gonna lie, I thought of the same joke. :v:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Burkion posted:

Holy poo poo they remembered his Dino Thunder powers

I never

EVER

Thought those would be used ever again

The power to conveniently miss a chunk of filming while you're 'stuck' morphed, and then 'stuck' invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
But roundhouse kicking a t-rex was all real, right?