Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mandrel posted:

when’s shenmue

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hopefully never

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No Liam no buy

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Matt and Woolie finally LP that game with the guy with the scythe!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I actually thought it was a joke

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Why does it feel like that despite being over the plot for RE5 never actually got started?

The game just kinda blurred along the entire time.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Buckets posted:

But was the game moving really fast or was it just teleporting?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kay Kessler posted:

But was the game moving really fast or was it just teleporting?

I've never seen Pat quadruple down on being wrong like this before

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

They managed to fail every QTE except the funny one they were actually going for.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Have they announced what the next 3 person LP will be?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Brutakas posted:

Have they announced what the next 3 person LP will be?

No but it might be the new spoderguy game in September.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder if Woolie and Liam are gonna do Guac 2 on one of their channels.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder if Woolie and Liam are gonna do Guac 2 on one of their channels.

Oh right that is coming out too.

I don’t have time to play any of these games (mostly because I’m deep in the Monster Hunter World hole)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

Oh right that is coming out too.

I don’t have time to play any of these games (mostly because I’m deep in the Monster Hunter World hole)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRmc9IPGmiA

https://twitter.com/DrinkBoxStudios/status/1031955260766662656

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsI_2yw-fE0

reminder of this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Buckets posted:

Why does it feel like that despite being over the plot for RE5 never actually got started?

RE5 is really loving threadbare, it's really bizarre.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Every Resident evil game before RE7 sucked. Fight me.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Grouchio posted:

Every Resident evil game before RE7 sucked. Fight me.

what you say pipsqueak?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That was a drat good Fisticuffs. It made me feel for a twitch that I wanna play Street Fighter before I snuffed that out. Unless it turns into a big beat em up like DMC or Batman or something along those lines I doubt I'll ever play it. Also it's a shame that I don't know any of these characters that well and I'll never learn about that story.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
That's the closest Grouchio's ever been to being right. RE4 and 7 are the only playable RE games. Anyone who likes 1-3 is disturbed by blind nostalgia cause actually playing those games is a boring task of fighting bad controls the whole time.

Also the zapping system is just a glorified character select that fucks you over cause drops/items are shared across scenarios so you could just gently caress yourself up and the best way to play those games is to just do one whole scenario then restart completely and ignore the system entirely.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i played re1 for the first time a couple of months ago and it owns

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That depends heavily on what version of the game you're playing.

Like PS1 original release RE1

Yeah that's a clunker.

Later versions smooth the controls and make them work a lot better- it's still not as fast paced as RE4's stuff, but it's not meant to be. RE1 works perfectly well with the controls and style that it has.

You could import RE4 controls INTO RE1, but that'd just make things worse because RE1, with it's specific camera angles and the like that absolutely matter and add a ton to the style of the game, is not meant to be played like an action game. Also the camera would gently caress you over real bad.

RE2 and 3 have never gotten an overhaul like 1 has so they're stuck in the 'they're fine for the time' period of game design, but both are superior to their contemporaries

You can go back and play RE3 and get used to the controls and have fun with it. You are not going to be able to do that with Deep Fear. Deep Fear is the one with the lovely controls.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh man this blanka vs abigail fight in the fisticuffs looks ridiculous, welcome to street fighter

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
REMake is good, RE2 is a bit dated and so is 3, but they had good ideas at the time. CV is probably the most "polished" version of an old school RE, but it has some very obnoxious elements in it. There's nothing wrong with 5 as a game, it's just worse than 4 and storywise they're all bad. 6 I never played, honestly.

They're all playable, perfectly so to be honest.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
RE's writing was never good but it takes a sharp loving downward turn in 5 and onwards where every second word is bioweapon and every corporation in the world decides that making zombies is a good idea

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RE4 is still the only RE I like

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

RE4 and RE7 are the only games in that series I’ve played so they’re batting 2 for 2 as far as I’m concerned.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's the closest Grouchio's ever been to being right.
How often am I wrong?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grouchio posted:

How often am I wrong?

usually

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Grouchio posted:

How often am I wrong?

Every single time you post.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

"I promise you this is not a Steve Blum game"

Crazy Talk is spreading.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
If nothing else, I enjoyed watching RE5's plot get progressively stupider and more over-the-top. Nothing is ever going to beat the original Dead To Rights in sheer stupidity as far as I'm concerned but drat if RE5 didn't come close at times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

If nothing else, I enjoyed watching RE5's plot get progressively stupider and more over-the-top. Nothing is ever going to beat the original Dead To Rights in sheer stupidity as far as I'm concerned but drat if RE5 didn't come close at times.

Prison Break

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Tae posted:

Prison Break

Omikron

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
R I D E - T O - H E L L

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Omikron I'll give you, Prison Break had some real dumb stuff but it never quite reached the level of teleporting murder dogs and a guy with a literal magic potion/beer bottle breathing fire everywhere.

Ride to Hell was... I thought about mentioning it but it just feels kind of unfair to compare them since a good chunk of RtH's stupidity came from the fact that so much of it was just outright unfinished. That game is just something else entirely.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jake's solution to getting over an electric fence was to blow up the linking power supply drat in a nuclear explosion

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Tae posted:

Jake's solution to getting over an electric fence was to blow up the linking power supply drat in a nuclear explosion

I mean yeah but how much of that was planned and how much of that was whatever developer was left holding the bag by that point going "oh poo poo we're launching tomorrow, we need something to pad out the length right loving now"*. The Fahook boss fight at least had enough effort put into it that you could tell there was some thought behind it.

In any case it was fun to watch SBF taking the piss out of all the weird dumb poo poo in Resident Evil, even if 5 was kind of mediocre overall.

Edit: *poo poo I almost forgot the sex scenes, yeah I guess development time can't really explain that one huh?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 26, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The struggle through returns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyyc1Xv21Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l92RPcy5wLo&t=5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There were no good REs before 4. 5 was immediately back to trash. 7 seems fine for a kind of game I'm not interested in. So yeah no for once Grouchio is correct.