Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

how can you turn this into loss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What if I told u that this is how the Arabic numerals were developed in the first place

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Why do X and O do the same thing?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Neito posted:

They were also made for specific ideas!

O and X are symbols the Japanese use much like we would use "OK" and "NO" or a checkmark and an X.

Square was supposed to symbolize a book or a scroll and be used for menus

Triangle was supposed to represent a first-person field of view or whatever.

Further to this, in Japanese games/on Japanese consoles the circle button is used for OK/yes/accept/whatever and the X button is cancel, which is the opposite to English versions. It fucks with your muscle memory really bad, and it gets worse if you're playing an English game in a JP console (or vice versa) because the console OS menus and poo poo use one logic which is reversed in the game.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The original english/Germanic numerals we’re developed along similar lines. The number represents the number of angles present in the numeral.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Blind Rasputin posted:

The original english/Germanic numerals we’re developed along similar lines. The number represents the number of angles present in the numeral.

This is patently untrue. Holy poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Blind Rasputin posted:

No they aren't.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
My favorite meme is pretending that normal things are gay but I haven't seen it in image macro form. poo poo like saying that getting married to a woman is gay because you're putting on jewelry and fancy clothes

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol guys this is the meme thread

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Gay Horney posted:

My favorite meme is pretending that normal things are gay but I haven't seen it in image macro form. poo poo like saying that getting married to a woman is gay because you're putting on jewelry and fancy clothes

It's only gay when you consummate the marriage and shoot your cummies in her front hole.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blind Rasputin posted:

Arab and "english/Germanic" guy:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was going to make fun of them having to add that little tail to the 5 to make this work, then I got to the 7.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

bike tory posted:

Further to this, in Japanese games/on Japanese consoles the circle button is used for OK/yes/accept/whatever and the X button is cancel, which is the opposite to English versions. It fucks with your muscle memory really bad, and it gets worse if you're playing an English game in a JP console (or vice versa) because the console OS menus and poo poo use one logic which is reversed in the game.

Oh, word?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Firstborn posted:

The PSX buttons are made specifically so that they are numbered 1-2-3-4. The number is the amount of strokes it takes to make the shape.
O - 1
X - 2
Triangle - 3
Square - 4

O is actually 0.5x pen strokes because I was already making contact with the page when we started counting as a result of a pen previous stroke.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Oh, word?

Actually now that I think of it, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to have reversed this for English consoles and games. SNES had A and B buttons in the same configuration as O and X respectively, and N64 kept it. There was already the X button to cancel/close logic in PC operation systems, and O for OK makes sense in English. I'm sure there's some stupid and petty story behind it

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The real meme here is memento mori.

Or this good post

Subvisual Haze posted:

O is actually 0.5x pen strokes because I was already making contact with the page when we started counting as a result of a pen previous stroke.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Subvisual Haze posted:

:golfclap:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subvisual Haze posted:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Old, but still good.

HAPPY CAMPERS!

Subvisual Haze posted:

Luv u.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Subvisual Haze posted:

a pen stroke is a pen stroke. You can’t say its only a half

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ariong posted:

a pen stroke is a pen stroke. You can’t say its only a half

Well, TJ "Henry" Ariong, that's where you're wrong.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Subvisual Haze posted:

:discourse:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

It's always the meme thread.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
So who actually died?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

So who actually died?

That's not a fake out, the dude who played Robbie Rotten died of cancer after having it for a long rear end time now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
insert incredibly edgy and ruthless cancer joke here

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Zzulu posted:

insert incredibly edgy and ruthless cancer joke here
we are number one (at dying (from cancer)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I feel proud that I’ve never seen a single one of those videos

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Paladinus posted:

This is patently untrue. Holy poo poo.

10 looks like a dick and balls

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Dude was legitimately entertaining to watch, like anyone having fun being a goober. Lazy town beat the poo poo out of Caillu.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

i don't even OWN a television....... heh

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Thump! posted:

You shouldn't, they're fun videos my friend

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Thump! posted:

Imagine feeling actual pride over something like "never saw a video"

Imagine having only that to hang your hat on

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I also got pride over never responding to your insult

Wait gently caress

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
How many half button presses does our number system have?

Edit gently caress someone made this joke

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Subvisual Haze posted:

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

And coming to the meme thread to say so