Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Levitate posted:

I'm not a game designer by any stretch but I feel like the move to 3D and the complexity of games these days might have something to do with how maps are done compared to how they were done in OG Doom. Different strengths and different constraints and also decades of people figuring out ways to do cool new things with it rather than trying to get a big budget game out the door on a timeline.
Part of it is a matter of player expression. In Doom, all you can do is move around the levels, point your mouse at demons and shoot them. Which means the levels have to be unique and fun to explore, the demons have to be varied, and the guns had better pack a punch. Making a lot with a little. Skip forward a few years to Half Life and now you've got the player pulling levers, solving puzzles, riding train cars and looking at the big, scripted events. A lot of the levels, despite their appearance, are mostly linear but who could ever forget that giant tentacle! Ten more years down the line, the tech's advanced, the shooting's gotten more complicated, but it's all about those corridors with big, exciting set-pieces going on around the player.

Nu-Doom's great because it harkens back to its past, and the moving and shooting's a lot of fun, but the levels are pretty much all bespoke combat arenas seperated by zombie hallways and I hope Eternal's gotten better about that.

Neo Rasa posted:

This is very broad of course and there have always been great games coming out every year, but I think it's just in the last couple of years that we've seen an attempt at really good FPS levels coming back.
I'd say the best of that is in those indie, throwback shooters like DUSK and Ion Maiden, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mordja posted:

I'd say the best of that is in those indie, throwback shooters like DUSK and Ion Maiden, though.

:hfive:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
Everything became about showing off graphics a while back. Plus things cost much more to make now. So you have to sell the most copies possible which leads to bland gameplay and other issues.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Neo Rasa posted:

There was a general games are too complicated vibe going on that you can see in a lot of interviews with designers and so on throughout the early and mid 00s. They were right to an extent, but the end result of that was kind of an opposite extreme for a lot of series where the idea of good level design and how important level design is to making a game feel awesome kind of went out the window.

Deus Ex: Invisible War immediately comes to mind. "What if there was only a single ammo type that all your guns used?" Also with fairly limited and uninspiring level design compared to its predecessor, for a number of reasons.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

Let me put it this way, John Carmack left id Software in 2013, but "Doom 4" had been in development since like 2007. I knew someone personally who had done some concept art for it as early as 2008. :eyepop:

This is the absolute truth.

One of my favorite things about the best Doom levels using the technology to support the design is all the trickery that would have to be set up to create the impression that monsters are teleporting in from hell out of nowhere to attack you when the engine couldn't actually spawn any objects in-game and all of those monsters were place somewhere in the levels. The way the best levels would also use monster closets not as an ambush but to repopulate one part of a level while you were off doing whatever in another part, it's so good and the best levels so expertly keep you on edge with that thinking you could get attacked at any time between that and the then really good use of ambient/monster sounds and how sound "carries" from one area to another.

The coolest example is early on in the Military Base (episode 1's secret level) over the giant pentagram with the rocket launcher on it. There's a trigger on it that makes a not obvious tiny sliver of the wall in front of you "open" but the texture is set so you don't see the opening or really catch it move. This makes the demons in the room on the other side of it see you and be able to hear you doing whatever which makes them walk towards the teleporter that occupies a small corner of that room. So you get this small steady stream of demons magically appearing in reaction to you stepping over a glowing red giant pentagram. That loving owns and is the best monster closet ever made.

Meanwhile Doom 3, like, there's that one point where you walk down a hallway and every ten feet a door in the wall slides up to reveal a tiny chamber with a single imp in it. :laffo: It could have been great self parody.

Yea I'm actually a big fan of the whole "wall slides down to reveal a shitload of monsters" gimmicks and I wish Do4m would have done that occasionally rather the just having the teleporting in enemies.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I know it’s kinda fruitless me saying this now when it’s not out but all you goons hating on Doom 3 for various (very valid) reasons, definitely need to look at Doom 3: Phobos when it comes out.

It’s a Doom 3 episode made with modern hardware in mind (more level detail, more monsters) and reworked weaponry so that the guns are actually good to use in a run-and-gun game style. Made by classic Doom mappers who have a really good sense of level design and non-linear spaces.

Only problem is it’s being made by like 4 guys so progress has been fairly slow. But it owns owns owns.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

MysteriousStranger posted:

Everything became about showing off graphics a while back. Plus things cost much more to make now. So you have to sell the most copies possible which leads to bland gameplay and other issues.

Everything has been about showing off graphics since Commander Keen, at least.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea I'm actually a big fan of the whole "wall slides down to reveal a shitload of monsters" gimmicks and I wish Do4m would have done that occasionally rather the just having the teleporting in enemies.

That gets ragged on as monsters closets though so it doesn't happen as much

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

User posted:

Everything has been about showing off graphics since Commander Keen, at least.

"Graphics are basically like real life now" - me reading Game Informer's preview article on Quake 3 Arena (1999)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

AirRaid posted:

I know it’s kinda fruitless me saying this now when it’s not out but all you goons hating on Doom 3 for various (very valid) reasons, definitely need to look at Doom 3: Phobos when it comes out.

It’s a Doom 3 episode made with modern hardware in mind (more level detail, more monsters) and reworked weaponry so that the guns are actually good to use in a run-and-gun game style. Made by classic Doom mappers who have a really good sense of level design and non-linear spaces.

Only problem is it’s being made by like 4 guys so progress has been fairly slow. But it owns owns owns.

Ok, but why though?

We got Doom 2016 now. Also Doom: Eternal soon

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Levitate posted:

I'm not a game designer by any stretch but I feel like the move to 3D and the complexity of games these days might have something to do with how maps are done compared to how they were done in OG Doom. Different strengths and different constraints and also decades of people figuring out ways to do cool new things with it rather than trying to get a big budget game out the door on a timeline.

Its largely realism. In doom everything is so rough and abstract that they can do whatever works, whatever is fun, you're totally untethered. This remains true of doom wads today. You can go make a doom level or a half-life level and the doom level is gonna be better because you're going to spend 20 hours in half-life making sure the windows line up right and the posts don't clip through the ground and poo poo like that which doesn't even matter in doom. So in doom you instead don't have those constraints plus you've got 20 extra hours of playtesting and making things fun.

Games becoming more detailed has also required them to become more accurate, to the detriment of design.

Even if you're not trying to create an ARMA sim, the spaces in games like call of duty still have to feel realistic. There have to be buildings with floors and doors and windows and such, and then they have to find clever ways to mess with that and block off areas and create a fun environment within that. Doom you just throw some cubes together and put BRICKWALL on it and call it a day.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Ok, but why though?

We got Doom 2016 now. Also Doom: Eternal soon

Because it's good. And it's more good Doom.

And it makes Doom 3 worthwhile.

And I'm minorly involved in it so I'm pimping it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I like this when it's an "oh poo poo" event and a couple Barons stomp out and start lighting things up. I remember it being pretty annoying in Heretic when it always seemed like "here's another half dozen imps (the flying Heretic kind, not the spiky Doom kind) to tediously snipe down".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh yeah when you run into the first pair of barons at the end of the episode 1 it fuckin' owns and is a great oh poo poo moment, just Doom 3 went waaaaay overboard.

Heretic man, I wanted to love that game but for real it had way too many of those drat gargoyles.

Doom 3 is a bit similar, they made some cool new enemies for it but you fight like a trillion imps instead, but keep in mind they're extremely boring compared to Doom 2016 imps so it's extremely tedious.

Doom 3 has this one enemy (Wraiths IIRC), they're like a small/hunched over thing with a blade arm that can teleport short distances, you fight a very small number of them across the whole game but they're awesome and actually play to the strengths of how Doom 3 looks and sounds and is built.

Shame too because Doom 3 had a couple of cool enemies like that and enemy behavior but it's never really used well in the game. Like the enemies can technically infight with each other and there's even a rank system of lower level demons not attacking higher level ones and stuff but it will almost never occur in actual gameplay due to the way the levels are designed. The plasma rifle can be used to deflect/stop projectiles but outside of one boss fight you might never even notice this is possible, etc.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 22, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Neo Rasa posted:

The plasma rifle can be used to deflect/stop projectiles but outside of one boss fight you might never even notice this is possible, etc.

what

how

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I like this when it's an "oh poo poo" event and a couple Barons stomp out and start lighting things up. I remember it being pretty annoying in Heretic when it always seemed like "here's another half dozen imps (the flying Heretic kind, not the spiky Doom kind) to tediously snipe down".

For sure, monster closets can be lovely. But a good example that doom used fairly often, and that do4m could do would be having a closet of Lost Soul's all lined up across a gap and the wall drops down releasing them so they all charge at you at around the same time. Another good one could be an arena fight, but at the end of it a huge door opens revealing another arena but all the monsters have already spawned in, or even better the existing arena that you are in just get's bigger by having all the walls drop away/ceiling raises now it's a bigger arena with more monsters. (OG Doom did this fairly often).

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

For sure, monster closets can be lovely. But a good example that doom used fairly often, and that do4m could do would be having a closet of Lost Soul's all lined up across a gap and the wall drops down releasing them so they all charge at you at around the same time. Another good one could be an arena fight, but at the end of it a huge door opens revealing another arena but all the monsters have already spawned in, or even better the existing arena that you are in just get's bigger by having all the walls drop away/ceiling raises now it's a bigger arena with more monsters. (OG Doom did this fairly often).

The first hell level in D64 did this and it was awesome cause it also gave you more weapons and ammo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't think there was a technobabble reason provided in the game ironically considering the extensive amount of audio logs in it, but basically you just shoot it at projectiles and it dissipates them, or in the case of the Doom 3 Mancubus and other rocket type projectiles you can shoot it at them to make them detonate early. But the main time this comes in handy is when you fight the spider woman boss, as hitting her own projectiles back at her does waaay more damage than just your own weapons.

An interesting side effect of this is that if you shoot a dead body with the plasma rifle before it disappears, it will get knocked back/around super easily.

Agoat posted:

The first hell level in D64 did this and it was awesome cause it also gave you more weapons and ammo.

It can't be said enough, but Doom 64 absolutely rules.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't think there was a technobabble reason provided in the game ironically considering the extensive amount of audio logs in it, but basically you just shoot it at projectiles and it dissipates them, or in the case of the Doom 3 Mancubus and other rocket type projectiles you can shoot it at them to make them detonate early. But the main time this comes in handy is when you fight the spider woman boss, as hitting her own projectiles back at her does waaay more damage than just your own weapons.

An interesting side effect of this is that if you shoot a dead body with the plasma rifle before it disappears, it will get knocked back/around super easily.

It can't be said enough, but Doom 64 absolutely rules.

They should include a free Doom 64 in Doom Eternal.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

even better the existing arena that you are in just get's bigger by having all the walls drop away/ceiling raises now it's a bigger arena with more monsters. (OG Doom did this fairly often).

Yeah, that one's pretty fun, and also very thematically appropriate, because it means you're the one in the monster closet being unleashed on a new group of unsuspecting demons.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MysteriousStranger posted:

They should include a free Doom 64 in Doom Eternal.

I think it's in some weird rights hell. :( It would be amazing if it actually got an official release again.

Doom has been released and ported so many times, but I'm always surprised there was never quite a definitive anthology of it in all the times it's been ported like where you could switch between the music types on the fly, or the slightly faster speed on the XBox 1 port and stuff like that. Instead there were console exclusive (temporarily) episodes, different monster arrangements and types, and so on across the board. But on the other hand I guess with zDoom/etc. being a thing I guess there's been no point to something like that for a while.

That reminds me, there's a pretty really good homebrew ports of Quake and Quake II for the Wii for how it has so many control options, it actually works great with the zapper and you can have it work like Metroid Prime 3 where you can aim the gun independently of where you're your viewpoint is centered which really lets you zip around blasting stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 22, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've never gotten to play doom 64, now I feel like I missed out

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

I've never gotten to play doom 64, now I feel like I missed out

Fortunately you can get really good remakes of the WAD on PC to try it out. I prefer this one:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retribution

Depending on what you run it through you may have to edit a cfg file to make sure it's using the Doom II soundfont or it will sound really weird but other than that it's great and you can experience the game's moody colored lighting and creepy soundtrack and how its engine CAN do room over room but this is only used for cosmetic things like archways so it still feels like Doom.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 22, 2018

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
People would probably like Doom3 alot more if it was called Resident Evil 3D: Get Your rear end to Mars.

Doom3 is a solid first person survival horror game.

DO4M is a horror game where you are the monster.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You can get a 99% perfect remaster of Doom64 using Doom64 EX since it straight up uses the original ROM to create a wad file. Just remember to delete it after 24 hours!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'd finally played through Doom 3 and it's expansion a couple of months ago and loved it. It's not "Doom" in the sense that most would identify Doom: fast movement based satanic shooting funtimes, but I thought it did what it did well. It also had my favorite iteration of Hell, even over Doom/Doom 2/D44M. But as for the complaints about monsters closets and weak weapons, all that is true. But I still had fun with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I'd finally played through Doom 3 and it's expansion a couple of months ago and loved it. It's not "Doom" in the sense that most would identify Doom: fast movement based satanic shooting funtimes, but I thought it did what it did well. It also had my favorite iteration of Hell, even over Doom/Doom 2/D44M. But as for the complaints about monsters closets and weak weapons, all that is true. But I still had fun with it.

The hell part is definitely the best section of the game, coincidentaly also the part that is structured the most like Doom (down to the scripted terrain deformation and transformations are like the way arenas and rooms would switcj up to reveal more eneimes and so on.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I've posted this a million times but Doom 3 definitely gets better combat wise once you enter Hell and past that. It starts diversifying enemy types more beyond spawning an Imp or two and the levels open up to allow for more interesting encounters. Not to mention that within 2 hours and half you go from Hell to military base then caves and dig sites which is some nice variety.

Too bad you have to go through 4 hours of labs to get there.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Doom3 hell levels were the best part of the game. ROE tried that with the final hell gauntlet, but it just didn't feel the same.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

People would remember Doom 3 a lot more fondly if it didn't have Doom in the title. It's a fine game in its own right, but a terrible Doom game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Doom3 hell levels were the best part of the game. ROE tried that with the final hell gauntlet, but it just didn't feel the same.

The first time you enter hell in Doom 2016 the cage you arrive in in Doom 3 is hanging behind the start point so they knew. :D

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The only bad thing about D64 is it can occasionally turn into a really tedious switch hunt.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

(for some context I'm an EU guy that barely knows Alex Jones aside from memes so if he's offensive I'll remove the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Snw6qjlPSE

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guillermus posted:

(for some context I'm an EU guy that barely knows Alex Jones aside from memes so if he's offensive I'll remove the video)

:vince:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Guillermus posted:

That's literally from the same account that posted the "SJW Snowflakes TRIGGERED by Doom Eternal" vid, and features such additional insightful megahits like "Social Justice Apologists in Gaming" and "Crazy Old Socialist vs the Fake News Media".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That sucks because the video was pretty funny.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

This isn’t limited to the plasma rifle. It’s most obvious with the plasma because that gun has huge projectiles with a large hit box but since all projectiles are physically simulated they can all be shot, with any weapon. Though picking an imp fireball out of the air with a pistol is gonna take some doing.

There’s actually a video file in game about how the BFG is vulnerable to small arms fire, and showing that if you can shoot the core of the projectile it will detonate early. Shortly before you fight Sarge who has a BFG.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, you can easily cheese the Doom 3 Revenant's homing rockets with the plasma gun due to the projectiles' size. It pretty much removes all difficulty from any encounter with them.

And THE DOOMHUNTER in Eternal is obviously taking its design inspiration from Sarge/Sabaoth.

GUI fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 23, 2018

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Origami Dali posted:

That's literally from the same account that posted the "SJW Snowflakes TRIGGERED by Doom Eternal" vid, and features such additional insightful megahits like "Social Justice Apologists in Gaming" and "Crazy Old Socialist vs the Fake News Media".

"Internet user FORCED to watch videos on youtube!"
like, comment and subscribe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

On a note unrelated to horrible CHUDs, this video is still the best.