Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

First, I'm going to kill all the cats. Then,

Unironically would be a net benefit to the world, cats kill so many birds/insects/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you have a really good plan and it's impossible to implement what you have is a really bad plan.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

First, I'm going to kill all the cats.

Proof-of-concept:

Article: Cat Serial Killer Strikes Again In Thurston County

quote:

OLYMPIA, WA - An eighth cat was found mutilated in the Olympia area on Wednesday, according to reports. Authorities believe the feline was killed by a cat serial killer on the loose in the area.

Supplemental reading:

Article: Propaganda of the deed

quote:

Propaganda of the deed [...] is specific political action meant to be exemplary to others and serve as a catalyst for revolution.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Ya know, as it relates to climate change, Al Gore losing to George W. twenty years ago was a real bummer.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burt Buckle posted:

Ya know, as it relates to climate change, Al Gore losing to George W. twenty years ago was a real bummer.
I don't know what kind of chaos magic was employed, but that's definitely the crack that led to this terrible divergent timeline.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know what kind of chaos magic was employed, but that's definitely the crack that led to this terrible divergent timeline.

It's called electoral fraud.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Burt Buckle posted:

Truer than people realize.

Not only that, the misadventures in the middle east didn't do the environment any favors either.

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can fight whatever you want, but you need to have some sort of clear picture of how that fight could get won, globally across the world forever. If you invent a new kind of electric car it's plausible you could phase that in and phase gas cars out over time if the electric car was better or as good. For pure behavior changes? that need to be implemented globally forever? no way.

Our civilization already implements behavioral changes regularly. For example, people in cities are flocking to "living in apartments" rather than "living in houses" for the simple reason that they can't afford anything else. My parents bought a house with a big yard for $68k, which even with inflation isn't enough to buy any house at all in the area by today's standards. Similarly, people often ride bikes or take the bus because it's all they can afford. People decide what kind of food to buy all the time based on how much money they have: it's considered smart and reasonable.

My point is that we're used to this sort of behavioral change already. The fundamental problem here isn't that people can't make decisions that are less carbon intense -- it's that as a society we're unwilling to actually make decisions for the common good at all.

Manipulating prices as part of some capitalist money making scheme, or an old industrial subsidy scheme, is seen as completely fine (especially as long as it's suitably hidden from public view). Manipulate prices to control carbon emissions? People flip their poo poo.

Now we could argue about whether this sort of thing is fair or equitable (is it OK for rich people to eat beef and caviar while nobody else can afford it? :capitalism:) but the point is that we have ways to set policy, that's what a government is for. There's not some rule of human nature that says we have to subsidize oil companies and cattle farming, and just grin and bear it because people won't stand for anything else. The policies we have exist because powerful organizations lobbied for them. People have changed how they behave before and they will in the future.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tyrgle posted:

For example, people in cities are flocking to "living in apartments" rather than "living in houses" for the simple reason that they can't afford anything else.
Similarly, people often ride bikes or take the bus because it's all they can afford.
I know you mean well, but I really hate this contextualizing apartments and bicycles as some form of poverty people must be ground down to.

I can afford a house. I can afford a yard. I can afford the housekeeper and groundskeeper to deal with them. I can afford a car. I can afford the insurance and paying a mechanic to deal with it.

You know who else can afford all those things? Every rich person in every apartment in every city. And yet we don't. Hmmmm.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

You're a gross rear end in a top hat fyi

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It passes the OOCC test.

Edit: btw, my theory's a birder

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 21, 2018

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So I tried to calculate the actual volume of dry-ice (solid CO2) it would require to displace U.S. emissions...

An LNG storage tank has about 4,600,000 m3 of storage which is 162,447,467 cubic feet.
(I've seen one of those and they're pretty big.)

Dry ice has a density of around... 100 lbs percubic feet....

So that would be around.... 16,200,000,000 lbs of CO2 per tank.

Why can't they store CO2 in a bunch of tanks with say, liquid nitrogen acting a medium to keep it cold?
(Boiled off CO2 = bad. Boiled off N2? Not so bad.)

U.S... emissions... 7,000 million metric tons of CO2 per year...
https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions

7,000 x 1,000,000 x 1,000 = 7,000,000,000,000 lbs of CO2

Approximating...
7,000,000,000,000/16,000,000,000

Would be.... 437 tanks....each year....

That's a lot....

:smith:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
OOCC is a loving moron but it's not the cats' fault that he personally supersized his carbon meals to pet them everywhere in the worls.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Accretionist posted:

It passes the OOCC test.

Edit: btw, my theory's a birder

Whoever it is is a piece of poo poo and it's a shame that whatever laws they might eventually be subject to will be paltry compared to what he or she deserves.

It's a pretty good reminder to keep your loving cats inside though, and hey it's better for birds too.

Also gently caress off with that poo poo. Just because cats do what's in their nature doesn't mean they should be tortured and killed in a heinously painful manner.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

twodot posted:

Ok, but we don't because it's inefficient, because the source for ammonia is very relevant to its cost/energy efficiency which is very relevant to whether it makes sense to run cars on it.

Again, not if you're planning to make cars run on it, you're going to want it to be economic compared to existing solutions (or be prepared to argue that the benefits you are getting are worth the economic losses).

Planning on capturing the carbon and then releasing it via soda seems not great, but moving on...

You're the one who asked me for the figure, if you had better figures you should have just presented them. (You also didn't specify that the figure had to be a scenario where people are charging batteries at home)

Ok you could have just said that.
We don't do that yet because it's brand new technology and the external costs of CO2 are not taken into account. If you had heard about two bicycle mechanics trying to build an aeroplane, you would have laughed them off as cranks.

Seriously? Do you read what you write at all?

Sure, and when you 'guessed' I bothered to look it up and present them. Rather than deal with it, you instead want to continue down this inane path where you are criticizing me for your own failure to read. Where else are you going to charge giant, heavy rear end batteries aside from home or a station within range (which have no different efficiencies)?

I mean, I thought it was obvious since stories just appeared within the last few days about brand new technology that nobody is going to loving know how much it costs, but...

Ahem. Crossquoting:
Fun times!

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

StabbinHobo posted:

I know you mean well, but I really hate this contextualizing apartments and bicycles as some form of poverty people must be ground down to.

I can afford a house. I can afford a yard. I can afford the housekeeper and groundskeeper to deal with them. I can afford a car. I can afford the insurance and paying a mechanic to deal with it.

You know who else can afford all those things? Every rich person in every apartment in every city. And yet we don't. Hmmmm.

I don't eat meat, either, even though I can certainly afford it. That doesn't stop steak from being seen, even today when it's subsidized and cheap, as a luxury good.

Educating people on the need for a more sustainable lifestyle is good and necessary, but if you need people to make hard choices you really need to bake it into the price. Just telling people they ought to make a change is never going to make it through to the disinterested masses, when they can just go to a store or look at how their life is arranged and it's plain as day to them that doing so is making a sacrifice.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Whoever it is is a piece of poo poo and it's a shame that whatever laws they might eventually be subject to will be paltry compared to what he or she deserves.

It's a pretty good reminder to keep your loving cats inside though, and hey it's better for birds too.

Also gently caress off with that poo poo. Just because cats do what's in their nature doesn't mean they should be tortured and killed in a heinously painful manner.

Yeah please don't post creepy psychopath animal torturer poo poo. Are you people loving crazy?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It's super strange to realize that the next generation is going to think of Antarctica as a livable place where people will be working and living out their lives, especially once the International "Please don't rape Antarctica Treaty okay?" expires and is SUPER not renewed by anyone.

Then in like 100 years people will be farming it as it will probably greener than most of Siberia.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

It's super strange to realize that the next generation is going to think of Antarctica as a livable place where people will be working and living out their lives, especially once the International "Please don't rape Antarctica Treaty okay?" expires and is SUPER not renewed by anyone.

Then in like 100 years people will be farming it as it will probably greener than most of Siberia.

You need a long history of life enriching soil for it to be arable. It's not simply a function of sunlight and water.

The land that global warming exposes will be largely useless to humans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

jeeves posted:

This is just completely wrong. Setting aside that even in the worst case warming scenario Antarctica will remain a frozen desert for thousands of years, its soil is all nutrient-poor, alkaline gravel.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

But all the penguin guano!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Only the penguin making GBS threads grounds have any carbon and nitrogen content, yeah. Good luck farming on salty coastal gravel, though.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah we won't move there we'll move underground

it'll be like snowpiercer, only with elon musk at the front of his tunnel boring machine and generational layers of mole-proles living in the tunnels behind

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Compared to going after energy generation or transportation where you can make huge gains.

Did you just self-own?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Crossquoting...
The seemingly never-ending "it's worse than we thought" matryoshka doll that is climate research just never gets old.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Evil_Greven posted:

Crossquoting...

The seemingly never-ending "it's worse than we thought" matryoshka doll that is climate research just never gets old.

Scientists as a whole tend to conservative predictions.

Ironically the real impact of all that CO2/CH4 is worse than estimated.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Evil_Greven posted:

Crossquoting...

I'm the 3 upvotes.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Evil_Greven posted:

Crossquoting...

I just love seeing what I expected would happen in 30-50 years happening right now.:dehumanize:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You guys are going to feel so foolish when Guy McPherson turns out to be right about everything. Luckily that will last about a week before you and the rest of the whole of the planet die horribly. Isn't science neat?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Arctic permafrost thawing decades ahead of schedule, check. Arctic permanent sea-ice breaks for the first time, check.

May I expect another catastrophic result sometime soon?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

mdemone posted:

Arctic permafrost thawing decades ahead of schedule, check. Arctic permanent sea-ice breaks for the first time, check.

May I expect another catastrophic result sometime soon?

I reckon the unstoppable downward spiral has already begun

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
y'know at this rate boston may actually be a tolerable place to live soon

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

StabbinHobo posted:

y'know at this rate boston may actually be a tolerable place to live soon

No, you're going to get longer and colder winters, and hotter heatwaves, if it doesn't outright get frigid year-round when the thermohaline circulation shuts down and the polar vortex decides to permanently move to lower latitudes.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh good, I was worried it was all bad news, but as long as boston's hosed, cool.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
There's a handful of these doctors who've appeared in various debates and such who have their alternative theories about CC being tied to volcanoes or changes in the sun or what have you, and they often times show graphs from some dinosaur times where C02 and the temperatures are completely misaligned to discredit the modern consensus about C02 being the culprit.

Are those graphs fabrications, or simply cherrypicked data where they leave out some key points that would explain the misaligning graphs for C02 and temperature in their presentations?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I think this is a serviceable summary about that issue.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-higher-in-past.htm

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i have seen the gutted hill

i have seen the dry lightning

i have seen the highway paved with dead and rotting animals

i have heard the creak of far-off machinery

i have felt the wind

i have felt the raw greasy cleft of a dead wallaby's pouch

i have seen the sun, i have felt the sun

i have stared down the sun, i have hosed the sun

you fools

you dying fools

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i'm going to lock you all inside a barn and set it on fire

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
then you'll know what it means to fear the lord

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
when the tides rise, when the oceans laugh and clap their hands, when the storm strips your life away and you wander forlornly in the ruins, then you'll wish you hadn't turned your back on the sheltering plant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
repent

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)