Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How so? Gale being one of the only people Gus lowers his guard around is pretty important to either character. Exploring their relationship is a good way of developing Gus in a way that doesn't detract from his BB appearances or kill the general mystery surrounding him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

An important part of Gus and Gale's relationship is that Gus is not the cold calculating drug lord around him.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I hope Kim doesn't leave, and was actually in BB all along but you just missed her.

Like, they show a Breaking Bad scene from her perspective and she's just around a corner making coffee or working some files or something.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Regy Rusty posted:

An important part of Gus and Gale's relationship is that Gus is not the cold calculating drug lord around him.

I think he’s like this because he knows Gail will respond well to that since Gail is a timid white civilian. Same reason why he once invited Walt over for a nice family meal and even sprinkled some toys around his house first

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Basically Gus has read the classic MBA book One Minute Manager and understands that each employee of his should be managed differently in accordance with their own capabilities

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

PantsBandit posted:

That Gale scene felt like pandering to me in a way I haven't experienced yet with this show. Gus smiling at Gale's singing looked really odd and out of character. Even though it's established that Gus has a soft-spot for Gale, I always got the impression that Gus habitually hides his emotions, unless he's putting on a show. I didn't like it.

Plus I just felt like the whole scene felt devoid of purpose. Hopefully Gale plays more of a role this season, and that wasn't just a "hey, look at this guy from Breaking Bad!" moment.

the same scene juan is telling gus to get local source, and gus is visiting possible local source. it's telling that gus is getting his preparations in order for after flipping off the cartel, but isn't ready to show his hand yet

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Old lady

Regarding the old lady and jimmys face turn there- my interpretation is that it’s important to understand that Jimmys descent into darkness is different from Walt’s. Walt was a piece of poo poo whose road to hell was built on (what he told himself were) good intentions. Jimmy by contrast knows he’s a piece of poo poo, his struggle is in how he attempts to deny or accommodate for his nature.

Scamming the old lady was a bridge too far for him because, Saul Goodman may be a sleazy rear end in a top hat, but he’s a sleazy rear end in a top hat dressed in bright colours that say “look at me! Sleazy rear end in a top hat here!”. In jimmys mind that’s “fair”, confidence scams on old ladies aren’t.

The revelation for that scene is how liberating it was just to solve the situation by leaning into his sleazy rear end in a top hat persona. Jimmy and the show is very concerned with the nature of performance, which is what he has the meltdown with the copy machine guys about.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 22, 2018

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Poor Gail. You'll never be Gus's guy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I think he’s like this because he knows Gail will respond well to that since Gail is a timid white civilian. Same reason why he once invited Walt over for a nice family meal and even sprinkled some toys around his house first

Exactly. Gale isn't a career criminal who needs to be intimidated. He's a scientist who Gus funded through his education and who already is completely loyal.

What we're seeing here is the first step in Gus's plan for his independence. He's cut off the cartel's cocaine shipment, and is now preparing the shift to dealing in meth. With cocaine, he'd never be able to be completely free of the cartel as he'd always be reliant on them for his supply. But once they shift to meth which can be made right in the US, Gus can begin to chip away at the cartel like we saw him do in Breaking Bad. And Gale is a central part in all of that, which is why he's being introduced now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know who says the podcast has to be only an hour. I do know I wish they would gently caress off. If the podcast is going to keep going off on tangents about being on conan or whatever, they should make the podcast be as long as it needs to be so they can discuss the parts of the episode they want to talk about.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
They are busy professionals who have 5 more podcasts to record that one day they're all available to meet. In between editing and producing however many more episodes that aren't done at the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Then they need someone to get them back on track when they start rambling about not Better Call Saul.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

I hope Kim doesn't leave, and was actually in BB all along but you just missed her.

Like, they show a Breaking Bad scene from her perspective and she's just around a corner making coffee or working some files or something.

Wouldn’t be the first Kim this has happened with on a TV show

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A scene where we hear shouting from Saul's office and then some faceless guy in a green shirt storms out. Then Saul walks out, winks at the camera, wipes his brow, and says "Ok, Mrs. Garner? You wanted to draw up a will?"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Escobarbarian posted:

Wouldn’t be the first Kim this has happened with on a TV show
If this isn't a Kardashian joke, I don't get it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a reference to the character Elizabeth Banks played on Scrubs, in her first episode they had a joke about how she’d been there the whole time and greenscreened her into the background of previous scenes

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a reference to the character Elizabeth Banks played on Scrubs, in her first episode they had a joke about how she’d been there the whole time and greenscreened her into the background of previous scenes
Hah! Found a video. Good stuff.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's become almost comical how little the Jimmy plotline and the Cartel plotline have to do with each other.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Someone halfway alluded to it earlier that Mesa Verde's aggressive expansion might have something to do with an infusion of cartel money

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mario death mask posted:

Someone halfway alluded to it earlier that Mesa Verde's aggressive expansion might have something to do with an infusion of cartel money

The locations sort of match where Gus expanded into once his lab was up and running.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
A couple of people already pointed it out, but I love to amateur film geek out about shots like this:

:discourse: :discourse: :discourse:

THIS is what I wish they would talk about on the podcast, going into how they decided to shoot it like that and all the references and film-language symbolism that goes into it. Bummed out to hear that it sounds like they've just continued to drift further and further off topic each week. At least in the first half of BB when Kelley was running it she made some effort to keep them talking about the actual episode :(

Jealous Cow posted:

The locations sort of match where Gus expanded into once his lab was up and running.

Why would the location of bank branches have anything to do with it? I suppose they could retcon MV into being 'friendly' to Gus and him using them to launder all his cash?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

And the talking toilet guy is secretly a high level enforcer for the cartel on the side.

Not sure why people feel the need to try and stitch together every aspect of the show. Mesa Verde have a function in the show and it doesn't relate to the cartel.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Entropic posted:

It's become almost comical how little the Jimmy plotline and the Cartel plotline have to do with each other.

My guess is that they're gonna start getting closer and closer the moment Jimmy leans more and more on criminal activities for his livelihood.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I think Gus is (genuinely) nice to Gail in part because he reminds Gus of his dead partner, who was the chemist in their original op.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

A couple of people already pointed it out, but I love to amateur film geek out about shots like this:

:discourse: :discourse: :discourse:

THIS is what I wish they would talk about on the podcast, going into how they decided to shoot it like that and all the references and film-language symbolism that goes into it. Bummed out to hear that it sounds like they've just continued to drift further and further off topic each week. At least in the first half of BB when Kelley was running it she made some effort to keep them talking about the actual episode :(
I stopped listening to the podcast after a few episodes in the BB run (granted I didn't start from the beginning) because it was mostly jerking themselves off and talking about nonsense. They can do whatever on their podcast of course but I have better things to do with my time. As you say though it's unfortunate because there's a ton of interesting stuff about their process and decision making that could be discussed instead.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rhea Seehorn posted:

My cast is real. It is not removable and is on for the duration of the scenes until it is sawed off. Paramedics put it on in the morning. It was a matter of testing a lot of different materials to see what we could get away with that would still look real. If you do a cast at your wrist, you can slip it off but as soon as you go past your elbow joint, you can’t slip something on and off. We had some pretty high-tech art department people that tried to come up with things. Once you make it big enough for clips in the back, it gets very fat. So, this was the best option. I didn’t fight that because I trust all of the creative people on the team and it came to be an interesting burden for me to use as Kim. Doing my own bra was impossible and I had to ask for help. It made me think about Kim having to ask Jimmy to do her bra in the mornings. She must hate that! I needed help in the lunch line. I don’t love being a pain in the rear end, so it was good for me to realize that Kim would be feeling that times 300. I liked it for that reason. I didn’t hate it in real life, but it was fun to think about how much it would bother Kim.

https://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/talk/2018/08/better-call-saul-qa-rhea-seehorn-kim-wexler

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Jables88 posted:

I think Gus is (genuinely) nice to Gail in part because he reminds Gus of his dead partner, who was the chemist in their original op.

Yeah. Gail is literally on a scholarship set up in memory of Gus' old partner.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Cast on all day is some hardcore stuff, I totally thought it was just some typical hollywood prop stuff that could just snap on and off. I guess if people were really paying attention they could spot something more fake, but still. It's like I appreciate the effort, but it makes me feel bad for Rhea while also being even more impressed that she just rolled with it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I never got the impression Gail and Gus were anything more than employer/employee. I think to say anything more is kind of reaching.

I mean, "officially" Gus has some kids or grandkids that were unseen in Breaking Bad. Gus could have been lying to Walter during their dinner but I think Gus is exactly the type to have a traditional family for appearances sake.

I definitely believe Gus and Max were lovers though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm so curious why they can't just cut the cast in half and silly putty it together for the recording with like 1 wrap of tape around it to hide the seams.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

My guess is that they're gonna start getting closer and closer the moment Jimmy leans more and more on criminal activities for his livelihood.
I was thinking about just how much they can't follow Mike or Gus around much once they're involved with WW because otherwise we'll be watching BB again. Should BCS watchers see old BB footage to see how Mike and Gus end up and who caused their demise? Are we going to watch Gus kill off the Salamancas again? I'm so freaking curious how they're going to handle this stuff but I feel like it's too weird to reshow or reshoot BB footage so instead we'll get some kind of cut off to their stories as pertinent to BCS then never see them again while we follow Saul through his alternate adventures.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I never got the impression Gail and Gus were anything more than employer/employee. I think to say anything more is kind of reaching.

I mean, "officially" Gus has some kids or grandkids that were unseen in Breaking Bad. Gus could have been lying to Walter during their dinner but I think Gus is exactly the type to have a traditional family for appearances sake.

I definitely believe Gus and Max were lovers though.
Based on what? The fact Max said that Gus was his partner and that he "needed him" ? Walt has said that about Jesse several times.

What else is there that is leading you to feel like Gus and Max were lovers besides wish fulfillment?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You mean besides the fact that Gus devoted his entire life to avenging Max since the day he died, and set up a scholarship to help people like him? They don't necessarily have to be romantically involved, but it's pretty clear that Gus cared far more about Max and Gale than any other people we've seen in his life.

DaveKap posted:

I was thinking about just how much they can't follow Mike or Gus around much once they're involved with WW because otherwise we'll be watching BB again. Should BCS watchers see old BB footage to see how Mike and Gus end up and who caused their demise? Are we going to watch Gus kill off the Salamancas again? I'm so freaking curious how they're going to handle this stuff but I feel like it's too weird to reshow or reshoot BB footage so instead we'll get some kind of cut off to their stories as pertinent to BCS then never see them again while we follow Saul through his alternate adventures.

We don't really know much about Saul's personal life in BB, and the only dangling thread which BCS has yet to cut is that of Kim. He maintains a professional relationship with Mike, and is at least aware of Lalo and Nacho's cartel activities, but that is it. For all we know, Kim might be with him for the entirety of BB, and be part of whatever conclusion we get for Cinnabon Gene, or the end of their relationship might be the final straw that kills Jimmy McGill and leads to him becoming Saul Goodman for good.

I think any BB overlap we'll get will be pretty light, but I have faith that whatever the showrunners choose to do will be good and earned.

I love these kinds of tidbits. Good show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I came close to making some kinda flippant "lol cast sex" comment during the episode, but now I'm just impressed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I see "Gail" is going to be this thread's "Skylar" huh

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Durzel posted:

Based on what? The fact Max said that Gus was his partner and that he "needed him" ? Walt has said that about Jesse several times.

What else is there that is leading you to feel like Gus and Max were lovers besides wish fulfillment?

Mr. White's gay for Jesse. Everybody knows that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Durzel posted:

For starters, Giancarlo Esposito has said that's his interpretation. Also Gus mentions having a family but we never see them. It's very likely they don't exist because he has no interest in women, or anyone else besides Max.

Revenge for Max was so high on Gus's mind, it consumed his entire life. All the things he had didn't give him anywhere near the joy torturing Hector did. Why not just kill him? He had to take away everything - the way Hector had taken away everything from him.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nail Rat posted:

For starters, Giancarlo Esposito has said that's his interpretation. Also Gus mentions having a family but we never see them. It's very likely they don't exist because he has no interest in women, or anyone else besides Max.

Also because it would be an obvious area of investigation for the DEA in season 6 and they never mention any of that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

The Jimmy and Kim stuff is the actual show. Mike is fun and his segments are beautifully shot, but it doesn't feel like it's part of this show anymore. It started feeling this way last season.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I primarily watch this show for Mike/Gus/Nacho/The Cartel, Jimmy is the b-plot to me.

Catching back up with the show after having been busy the last couple weeks and I'm still at the point where I wish they'd bust this out into two shows as opposed to jumping between the two stories. I agree that I'm more into Jimmy/Kim at this point than Mike, Nacho, etc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone who primarily watches this for the cartel side is probably a lunatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wonder if they will somehow tie the two plots together, making all of this wishing for two separate shows irrelevant??

Nah, they’d never do that.