Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
You have chosen wisely :colbert:

Meanwhile this boy ran three miles in heat and humidity and is puffing like a train going up a mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Today was a beautiful day, and the forest was amazing.

I used to be a typical shut-in goon, and Gello's really helped drag me out into nature to experience moments like this. Dogs are the best. :3:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Do y'all's hounds ever drag on walks to a quality of life effecting degree?

I travel for work so my wife walks both our dogs and one of them has started dragging on the leash even from the start of the walk. Most stuff I find online is on pulling, not dragging so I'm not sure what to do.

There's no health issues and I haven't noticed it to the degree my wife is describing. We have a dog walker and my mom comes to walk them as well and I don't think they've reported these problems. Edit[oh they do have these issues but I guess aren't as reactive about it]

Now my wife is in this state where she dreads walking the dogs and gets extremely frustrated which I think is stressing the dog more and causing more dragging.

Edit: it is pretty hot here, I'm thinking she may just struggle with heat...

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 23, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you search "dragging leash" you get a lot of results for pulling, but if you search "greyhound doesn't want to walk" there are a million relevant results that might help.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Xguard86 posted:

Do y'all's hounds ever drag on walks to a quality of life effecting degree?

I travel for work so my wife walks both our dogs and one of them has started dragging on the leash even from the start of the walk. Most stuff I find online is on pulling, not dragging so I'm not sure what to do.

There's no health issues and I haven't noticed it to the degree my wife is describing. We have a dog walker and my mom comes to walk them as well and I don't think they've reported these problems. Edit[oh they do have these issues but I guess aren't as reactive about it]

Now my wife is in this state where she dreads walking the dogs and gets extremely frustrated which I think is stressing the dog more and causing more dragging.

Edit: it is pretty hot here, I'm thinking she may just struggle with heat...

Both of my greys have gotten pretty slow as they got older. One was slow by the time he was 9 or 10, the other kept up a pretty good pace until he was 12 or 13. It turns out that the latter, younger one has esophageal paralysis, for which he had to have surgery. Basically, it meant that the flaps on his esophogus didn't move any more, and he couldn't close his throat all the way when eating, or open it wider to breathe more when he got hot. He ended up with a couple of bouts of heat stroke, both of which might easily have killed him, just because he couldn't breathe enough. If your dog has issues horking a lot when he eats, or other neurological problems, this might be worth considering.

Even if your dog's throat is fine, he may well be sensitive to heat, have some arthritis slowing him down, or just be old enough to need to plod along slowly on walks (or some combination of these). I know this is frustrating, but the dog can't help it, and I think your wife just needs to be more patient. I used to have one dog stretching his leash out in front of me, trying to get me to pick up the pace, and the other stretching it behind me, dragging rear end. I ended up having to take two walks every day - a slow, shorter one with both dogs, followed by a faster, longer one with just the younger dog. It's a pain in the rear end, but try to remember that their walks are the highlight of their day, and one of the few things they have to look forward to to break up the horror of lounging around the house all day.

Oh, I've also found that my dog walks differently with different people. In the 5 years I've had him, he has only voluntarily turned around to come home on a walk with me maybe a dozen times, whereas other people who walk him report that he gets bored and wants to come home pretty frequently. So it's believable to me that your dog might behave differently with your wife than with others. Can she try walking them during a cooler part of the day to see if anything changes? Can someone else walk the slowpoke while she walks the other(s)? I always feel really bad after I get frustrated at my dog during a walk - I can forget that for him, the walk itself is the point, not getting through it to relax or do other things, like I want to.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Good stuff, my wife is also a first time pet owner and has had to really adjust to something having it's own thoughts and agenda haha.

Both dogs are the same age, 7 and still pretty spry when they want to be. It's hard to avoid the heat right now even at 3:00 am it's like 80 degrees so we usually try to keep it short and casual outside.

Idk I guess when I get home tonight I can walk them and see if it's any different for me than our previous walk

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Don’t they make cooling vests? If heat really is the issue that might help. Also check to see if the pavement is too hot for his little feets :ohdear:

Sparty is still quite spry and does on 3 mile runs, but he’s definitely way less athletic now than during the winter. He runs hot and gets overheated fast and lets you know he’s had enough

E: cooling not cooking :doh: don’t cook your dog ok

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 24, 2018

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah I deal with Gannon dragging like every loving day. Sometimes because it's hot, sometimes because he just wanted to pee and isn't feeling the walk, sometimes because it's after dark and a car made a noise and he doesn't want to deal with that.

A spray bottle with water set to mist helps with the heat at least. I just mist him off a bit in the driveway before we set out if it's a hot one.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Now I feel guilty for not walking Josie today.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

Now I feel guilty for not walking Josie today.

Me too - I skipped Tazo's walk yesterday, since I took him to my parents' in the evening after work. I'll need to give him a good walk tonight I think, so that he can work off that energy he's built up.
However I feel that I did make up for it though, since I stopped off at the butcher's on the way, so that I could get some bones and chicken wings for him. Needless to say, he was suddenly my bestest friend in the whole world, when I hopped back in the car with 3kg of meat! :v:

I know this hardly looks like a good picture, but I think it shows quite well how he was a non-stop sniffing machine, with his head practically vibrating around my head/headrest! :D
And needless to say, afterwards he was sucking-up to me good, thinking I'd fall for it and that he could weasel his way into getting a treat...which worked, of course

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 24, 2018

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Happy Friday y’all! Thanks for all the pics and stories which brighten my day, and even when they’re sad I am thankful for this lovely community who understands the zen of the long dog.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Fuzz Feets posted:

Happy Friday y’all! Thanks for all the pics and stories which brighten my day, and even when they’re sad I am thankful for this lovely community who understands the zen of the long dog.

I love when they lose control of their tongue when lying down.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tennyson's favorite toy was the big pizza, but it kept coming apart at the seams. After it had to be repaired a few times, we got him a sturdier big toy.

It became his new favorite, so we got another toy from the same company.

Tess likes them too.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What brand is that? All our toys get destroyed in 2 days. And Doggles loves them so much, he would try to bring them with him when we take him out.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

The brand is Fluff & Tuff, and we got them off Amazon. They have a bunch of different options, but here is the gator and the trout.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
haha, very cute! And I took a look at that store page, despite the fact that the warthogs I get Tazo last for quite a while as-is. I was kinda hoping they'd have a giant salmon plushie, but I must admit I'm kinda tempted to get him the skunk toy they sell! :D

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby has like 50 toys and she ignores all of them

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Also, after moving into the suburbs recently, Tazo has taken to running up to the study window in the evenings after eating (since I leave him out for ~10min or so, just to make sure he's had a chance to do his business afterwards) and peering through at me, constantly squeaking his toy until I go and let him in.
It's especially bad, since he's quite loud! So naturally I don't want to annoy the neighbours, so I promptly bring him inside...only for the process to be repeated the next day :saddowns:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tess has world class goblin doe eyes

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
We named her Barley. I know that earlier in this thread (years ago!) I talked about Jake not getting along all that well with other dogs and snapping occasionally. As he has aged he has definitely mellowed out. Our friends bring over a variety of dogs and he does fine with all of them now. Anyway, here’s a couple photos of Barley. She has white eyelashes!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

A princess

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

We named her Barley. I know that earlier in this thread (years ago!) I talked about Jake not getting along all that well with other dogs and snapping occasionally. As he has aged he has definitely mellowed out. Our friends bring over a variety of dogs and he does fine with all of them now. Anyway, here’s a couple photos of Barley. She has white eyelashes!

I love the alarmed look in the second pic.

I agree, she’s a princess. I love she.

I’m on vacation and missing my doggoes. Post pics of your long dogs plz

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

This is Ruby. We adopted her about 5 months ago. We're having a beach day today

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Narrator posted:

This is Ruby. We adopted her about 5 months ago. We're having a beach day today

A very fine girl. I wish I could have brought Sparty to the beach with us

She has a happy grin in that pic, what’s her personality like?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

DarkHorse posted:

A very fine girl. I wish I could have brought Sparty to the beach with us

She has a happy grin in that pic, what’s her personality like?

She's lovely and affectionate with people, but also has some anxiety problems. She gets reactive/anxious around other dogs and when she's left home alone (she's shredded our screen door and wicker chairs). We've had to make sure she has space on walks/in public, and on the vet's recommendation we've started crate training for when we're out, which she's taking on pretty well :) it's been a process but we're so happy to have her.

Here's an "action" shot:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

So Gello has a doppelganger who is currently in foster. They get along great and it's getting harder and harder to listen to my brain that's telling me we don't have space, time or money for another dog.

Gello in pink, foster in blue.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Congrats on your new Dog

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
What a great looking countryside, too! If you don't mind me asking, where abouts (very roughly) is that?
Looks like the perfect spot for a grey to have a run, that's for sure!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Congrats on your new Dog

Get yerself another Anubis so you can have Anubii

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Congrats on your new Dog

Looks like he's been adopted, so no new black dog for us. Probably for the best, though I do like DarkHorse's idea of getting multiple Anubii. All dogs will have to pass a pointy-ear check.

Major Isoor posted:

What a great looking countryside, too! If you don't mind me asking, where abouts (very roughly) is that?
Looks like the perfect spot for a grey to have a run, that's for sure!

It's near Cape Town, in South Africa. It's a great city for dogs, with beaches, forests and fynbos to run around in.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

an noble beast

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 8, 2018

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I think these might be good dogs, but I need more pictures to confirm.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

I think these might be good dogs, but I need more pictures to confirm.

Agreed. Post more data for evaluation!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
A mere 6 weeks to the day after letting Jackfox go to the Rainbow Bridge we have let Beverly go. She was almost 13 1/2. She was always a little weak in the back area and I knew she was not doing well but the past week had been worse. We had taken her into the vet just about 3 weeks ago for a torn toenail(it was a common thing for her, she had brittle nails) and her hind legs were fine but we knew something was up this past week because she was struggling to get up and walk straight. Looks like bone cancer took hold and quickly grew. This has been a horrible 1-2 punch with losing Jackfox and now Beverly.

Jackfox was my very sensitive and emotive buddy but Beverly was my stoic goober who rarely cried and who ran headlong obliviously. I'll never forget at our first house that she loved chasing birds. She even caught a few and on occasion tried to eat the ones she caught forcing my wife and I to make her spit it out. She definitely ate one or two because we twice found areas where there were bird feathers all over and no bird corpse. Another time she literally coughed out feathers like a cartoon.

The other thing about Beverly that was really unique was her plush coat. Most greyhounds have a wiry coat but Beverly's was like a rabbit's plush coat and boy did she shed. There was no amount of brushing that you could do to her that wouldn't just dig up huge amounts of dog fur. After zoom grooming her outside, it looked like I had skinned a bunny rabbit. Because of her fur, she enjoyed getting zoom groomed or even better, getting rubbings. There was literally no amount of rubbing her head that I could do that was too much. I would start rubbing just below her ear and she was forcibly push her head into my hand to encourage me to rub deeper and would alternate side to side so I could get left and right sides. I knew I was doing it right because she would give me a satisfied grunt a few minutes in. It was almost like the way a cat purrs to let you know that you are doing it right. In fact, that's how I knew it was near the end this week. She stopped grunting when I was giving her rubbings no matter how much rubbings I gave her.

I miss my long doggos very much.

Here are some photos:

She really wasn't a good t-rexer/roacher. I think this was one of maybe a half dozen times I ever saw her do it.

A few weeks ago after ripping off her nail

Jackfox and Beverly

Begging for rubbings

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aw gently caress dude :smith: :glomp:

Those were some real good long doggos you had, and it looks like they had hell of good lives with you

also the bird eating thing is hilarious and horrifying all at once

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Aw gently caress dude :smith: :glomp:

Those were some real good long doggos you had, and it looks like they had hell of good lives with you

also the bird eating thing is hilarious and horrifying all at once

I'm so so sorry this had to happen in such close succession :smith:

Please share more stories, I can tell you loved these needlenoses and it makes me love them even more by proxy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie gettin swole

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Barley is so regal, so graceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Bonnie gettin swole

Literally never seen a greyhound sit before. Mine only lies down.