Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

Disney has official forums, right? Being a mod is a kind of career

Augh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
It would be really funny if Abrams hinged some big plot twist on Jakku being Tantooine.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Aw man right when it was gettin good.

I'm sorry, for breaking kayfabe.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

Learn to share.

*truck beeping as it backs up to dump a giant growing irony cat into this reply post*

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

jivjov posted:

And you're an arrogant jackass who doesn't understand the concept of something that isn't yours. Go back to grade school. Learn to share.

This is just rank projection. You are clearly the only one concerned with selfish, exclusive ownership and preventing others from having their say.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Jivjov you will be in my prayers tonight, namaste

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
is jivjov the first goon to wriggle out of a dogpile because people were legit afraid he might have an aneurysm

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Jakku and Tatooine being the same is not a joke. It’s fully supported by the text.

Anyway, did anyone else note that the Legend Of Darth Plagueis The Wise is officially non-canon? It says right there that it’s a legend.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jivjov probably saw some children playing star wars in a park and had to get up to go explain to them that their adventures were not authorized by the story group, not canon, not in continuity, probably constituted copyright infringement, and so on, until he began stomping their toys and frothing at the mouth

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Anyway, did anyone else note that the Legend Of Darth Plagueis The Wise is officially non-canon? It says right there that it’s a legend.

Well, sure, he's a character from an old morality tale. Surely you're not suggesting that such a person ever existed?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

jivjov posted:

Well maybe if raging loving idiots didn't come in here going "HURR DURR I OWN STAR WARS AND CONTINUITY DOESNT EXIST" I wouldn't have to e-shout to make a loving point.

Suppose I bought Star Wars from Disney for 50 billion dollars tomorrow, and then did nothing with the film series except to re-issue A New Hope with an edited title crawl that clarifies that Princess Leia was in fact trafficking child slaves in her blockade runner to fund the Rebellion. Suppose I paid eleven people seven-figure salaries to do nothing but trickle salacious details about her slave business over Twitter and called them the Star Wars Clarification Collective.

Would these pronouncements be authoritative?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Jakku and Tatooine being the same is not a joke. It’s fully supported by the text.

That's why it would be so funny, you see.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jivjov posted:

And you're an arrogant jackass who doesn't understand the concept of something that isn't yours. Go back to grade school. Learn to share.

this has to be some kind of performance art if you're saying 'learn to share' in defense of disney, the faceless megacorp that's snapping up every media property known to man and their bizarre take on copyright

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

this has to be some kind of performance art if you're saying 'learn to share' in defense of disney, the faceless megacorp that's snapping up every media property known to man and their bizarre take on copyright

Libertarianism is the natural apotheosis of liberal ideology, but it's been pretty wild to see someone get there in real time.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
A Thought Experiment For jivjov

jivjov has previously stated that all current Disney produced Star Wars media are equal. That is, the novel where Poe Dameron farted at a wedding (??? is this real?) is just as "canon" as the movie where he blew up the Starkiller Base (which is NOT a Death Star).

However, some previous works produced when George Lucas owned the franchise are "Legends". That is, they are not real (so no moon fell on Chewie), although all the movies still are.

jivjov has become angry in this thread because SMG has stated Jakku=Tatooine, which is against Disney canon (we'll accept jivjov's take for the sake of argument here).

So, following this logic, does this mean if all of CineD somehow had billions of dollars, formed our own corporation (Zizek Pty Ltd) and purchased the Star Wars license, any media we produced would then be canon and we could treat the Disney media the way they treat the "Legends" media?

In this hypothetical future, if our canon said Jakku WAS Tatooine, would jivjov post angrily on this forum that anybody who said it wasn't was selfish and did not get to decide what was canon? That Jakku WAS Tatooine and everyone who said otherwise should shut up?

Or would jivjov realise that canon is a mugs game and you should judge media in factors other than what the owners said was real?

I'm really tempted to ask if jivjov has ever watched professional wrestling and has heard of phantom title changes (like a title changes hands on a house show but is never acknowledged or show in the "official" records), does that mean that the people in the live audience who saw the title change hands, didn't actually see it? Does WWE and Vince McMahon control our reality?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My favorite Death Star is the tiny Death Star the Rebels have on Hoth, which was the test bed for technologies to make it so the Death Star in Return of the Jedi (the third Death Star) would be able to hit ships in addition to planets.

e: I also realized that Empire starts with the Imperials launching a ground invasion on a secret base and need to blow up the shield generator so their ships stop being destroyed by a Death Star. Return of the Jedi ends with the Rebels launching a ground invasion on a secret base to blow up a shield generator so their ships stop being destroyed by a Death Star.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 23, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

On which placemat did the Story Group declare that I've claimed ownership over anything but my own thoughts?

The Solo commemorative placemat from Denny's.

I thought we'd established that already.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

garycoleisgod posted:

A Thought Experiment For jivjov

jivjov has previously stated that all current Disney produced Star Wars media are equal. That is, the novel where Poe Dameron farted at a wedding (??? is this real?) is just as "canon" as the movie where he blew up the Starkiller Base (which is NOT a Death Star).

Actually, it's good that you bring up the farting novel (yes, it's very real -- "it's true, all of it") because apparently another novel came out recently that depicted the wedding again but didn't have any of the fairly detailed farting in it.

If all canon is the same and true, how can this be?

In the vein of Schrodinger's Cat, I suggest we refer to this peculiarity as Dameron's Fart. It both did and didn't happen. Such is the magic of the Story Group.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

jivjov you play the star wars rpg right? if im running a game and one of my players decides to walk over to mos eisley and shoot han solo in the face should i let him

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm not jivjov but I'd say "you know how in the Special Editions reality kinda tugs around Harrison Ford and his body just somehow impossibly bleeds out of the way of the blaster bolt? That happens every. time. you try. to change. canon."

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm not jivjov but I'd say Poe Fart Is Real

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

I'm not jivjov but I'd say "you know how in the Special Editions reality kinda tugs around Harrison Ford and his body just somehow impossibly bleeds out of the way of the blaster bolt? That happens every. time. you try. to change. canon."

But... the future refused to change.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
"It's not canon! It's not canon!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into miniaturized death star tech

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
no please i'm too weak. don't let [the thread] kill meeee

please don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr31qrEH9dg

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It must be really scary believing in the power of the Story Group. I mean, they could deem the OT non-canon tomorrow. Just, poof and it's gone!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

jivjov posted:

My loving god. I can't even FATHOM the arrogance needed to watch a movie series and decide "I own this now and can all the decisions about the ongoing continuity."

Like..that's narcissistic as gently caress.

I kinda don’t want to join in the dogpile on you, jivjov, but doesn’t the Story Group do exactly what you describe above? Disney owns Star Wars, and can make any decisions about ongoing continuity; this isn’t arrogance because... they had the money to buy the franchise?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

my dude have you tried honking off

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nobody in gets confused about what universe they are seeing because ‘universes’ don’t actually exist.

Well one does.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Jivjov is the funniest because they do their best to be nice and easy-going... but then you do something like question the ownership of Star Wars, and their mask drops to reveal a snarling rear end in a top hat.

Like, this is a guy always ready to criticise casual ableism:

jivjov posted:

Well maybe if raging loving idiots didn't come in here going "HURR DURR I OWN STAR WARS AND CONTINUITY DOESNT EXIST" I wouldn't have to e-shout to make a loving point.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Martman posted:

It must be really scary believing in the power of the Story Group. I mean, they could deem the OT non-canon tomorrow. Just, poof and it's gone!

Darth Plagueis the Wise is clearly described as a legend; ie, non-canon.

The story group has approved material confirming Darth Plagueis as Palpatine's master.

Therefore, Palpatine and his Empire are non-canon.

QED.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
No but seriously George Lucas was quoted as saying he wa sinspired by Airtight Garage when doing the Star Wars: Droids cartoon. That'S a cool fact, Moebius is freaking awesome.

We need more Moebius in the new Star Wars movies and less Star Wars.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Harime Nui posted:

What seems to me white shall be black if the Story Group calls it so.

We have always been at war with the First Order.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The strange thing is, again, that Jov is mixing up like three or four distinct concepts. So, like, in this post:

jivjov posted:

It's important so we know what stories happen in the same continuity as others. Without a continuity, every star wars story exists in a vacuum and there's nothing carrying over from story to story.

...although he’s using words like ‘story’ and ‘continuity’, what Jov actually means is that we need to know canon because without canon there’s no canon.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

It's actually a tragedy; The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise. What does the Story Group say about ancient dramatic genres? Is Euripides real and in Star Wars?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

No but seriously George Lucas was quoted as saying he wa sinspired by Airtight Garage when doing the Star Wars: Droids cartoon. That'S a cool fact, Moebius is freaking awesome.

We need more Moebius in the new Star Wars movies and less Star Wars.

Moebius ftw

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mooey Cow posted:

It's actually a tragedy; The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise. What does the Story Group say about ancient dramatic genres? Is Euripides real and in Star Wars?

“It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend.”

But you raise a good point: the holographic videogame in Episode 4 is the only example of fiction in any of the films. There are lies, and legends, but that’s it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Jivjov is the funniest because they do their best to be nice and easy-going... but then you do something like question the ownership of Star Wars, and their mask drops to reveal a snarling rear end in a top hat.

Like, this is a guy always ready to criticise casual ableism:

There’a no mask to drop. He’s responding to dismissal of canon in the same way he would respond to sexism or ableism, just with greater intensity because copyright infringement is a much more dire crime than bigotry.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 23, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

cuntman.net posted:

jivjov you play the star wars rpg right? if im running a game and one of my players decides to walk over to mos eisley and shoot han solo in the face should i let him

Sure, do whatever. It's your game. RPG sessions are, quite clearly, not purporting to be part of the canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jivjov, how do you kill a vampire?