Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

I definitely get the feeling the shenmue love is a lot of nostalgia but hey, I also like nioh more than any of the souls games so what do I know

It's kind of weird how there's this huge wave of awesome titles coming soon yet they're all multiplatform, unlike the bloodborne, uncharted 4, horizon, god of war console sellers. Between rdr2, sekiro, ghosts, cyberpunk, nioh 2, death stranding and tlou2, only the latter is going to be PS4 exclusive.

Ghost of Tsushima is PS4 exclusive and published by Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Personally I am looking forward for Divinity: Original Sin 2.

I had games like Baldurs Gate and Fallout 1 and 2 on my formative years. Other people have different games sine in their eyes, and thats great, but for me the reference is games where you can steal from the vendor or abuse some complex magic mechanic to be op as hell. Games with good story and a lot of player freedom.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D:OS2 owns and I’m glad console players can experience it now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

D:OS2 owns and I’m glad console players can experience it now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am currently playing through Divinity Original Sin, but the sequel is next up on my list.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ghost of Tsushima is PS4 exclusive and published by Sony.

There's a good point there though, I mean once you've got The Last of Us 2 being made and you already dropped stuff of the caliber of Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 and HORIZON AND GOD OF WAR and you've sold like 70 million PS4s or whatever, do you really need to still drop the $$$ on a regular stream of exclusives for the PS4?

I said come in! posted:

I am currently playing through Divinity Original Sin, but the sequel is next up on my list.

Is the PS4 port of this good? My wife and I wanted to play through it too before getting the sequel. Does the sequel have coop also?

Speaking of, there's a PS4 port of Wasteland 2 I heard mixed things about, I loved the game but was there actually anything wrong with the PS4 version or was it just badly received in general or something?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a good point there though, I mean once you've got The Last of Us 2 being made and you already dropped stuff of the caliber of Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 and HORIZON AND GOD OF WAR and you've sold like 70 million PS4s or whatever, do you really need to still drop the $$$ on a regular stream of exclusives for the PS4?

I mean, considering half the titles he listed are PS4 exclusive, clearly Sony thinks they do.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Death Stranding is also a Sony-published PS4 exclusive. What is going on with that post

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the PS4 port of this good? My wife and I wanted to play through it too before getting the sequel. Does the sequel have coop also?

Speaking of, there's a PS4 port of Wasteland 2 I heard mixed things about, I loved the game but was there actually anything wrong with the PS4 version or was it just badly received in general or something?

Wasteland 2 is just a bad, bad shadowrun game and I was sorely disappointed by my PC purchase. It just fails to be Fallout over and over and never finds its own footing, at least not over the 8 hours I played

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just because you're on top doesn't mean you just stop trying and assume people will come. That's what they did with PS3 and everyone knows how that turned out. Every PlayStation seems to have one or two big "swan song" exclusives after the successor comes out, and we're like at least 2 years out from PS5 so we've got plenty of time for more games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TLoU2 still has as least another two E3 showings in it yet

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Just because you're on top doesn't mean you just stop trying and assume people will come. That's what they did with PS3 and everyone knows how that turned out. Every PlayStation seems to have one or two big "swan song" exclusives after the successor comes out, and we're like at least 2 years out from PS5 so we've got plenty of time for more games.

I still check the XBox part of the mall every so in a while. I will have not problem buying a XBox, if it had games the PS4 don't have and I want to own.

In part so I can talk with my money, if I feel Sony wronged me this month, I would put my money on microsoft pockets.

But when I look at the Xbox wall in the mall, I see the exact same games that exist in the PS4 wall. I don't see a point to buying a Xbox because of that.

Exclusives are really key to consoles strategies, and perhaps the extra support from the console owner allow the existence of supergreat games that withouth that support would (perhaps) be less great.

Exclusives don't make any sense out of consoles, but on consoles they are great. Not so great if you are on the "losing console" in the current generation,.. been there, that sucks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Break the floor in the toxic sewers and follow that path, it's in the level after you fight a giant eyeball boss.

I googled it because you really have so many level paths at that point.

*shakes fists*

I knew that I had to revisit that zone after every rune upgrade. Going to do a run right now, thank you!

And from now on I'm going to google more because I feel like I'm missing a ton of stuff and I've already upgraded shitloads of things with cells.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the PS4 port of this good?

The port was good enough that they backported a bunch of the changes to the PC version of D:OS. It’s an amazing port.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

^^^^Full diablo 3? Cool

Guillermus posted:

*shakes fists*

I knew that I had to revisit that zone after every rune upgrade. Going to do a run right now, thank you!

And from now on I'm going to google more because I feel like I'm missing a ton of stuff and I've already upgraded shitloads of things with cells.

One you get wall run you are done with permanent upgrades, I think. Theres more things you get after beating bosses, THE BOSS? Havent googled those because that's fairly obvious, just havent been able to physically do it!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I don't think it's really weird to say that a pretty straight line can be drawn from Shenmue to Yakuza; it's an obvious influence. Both games offer a relatively small but highly detailed environment with many distracting side elements. Yakuza amps pretty much everything up, from the storyline to the frequency of combat; it's closer to an action game where Shenmue is more of an adventure, but I don't think the shared DNA can be denied.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

atholbrose posted:

I don't think it's really weird to say that a pretty straight line can be drawn from Shenmue to Yakuza; it's an obvious influence. Both games offer a relatively small but highly detailed environment with many distracting side elements. Yakuza amps pretty much everything up, from the storyline to the frequency of combat; it's closer to an action game where Shenmue is more of an adventure, but I don't think the shared DNA can be denied.

It’s also comparing a series that has been doing iterative updates on the same small area since 2005 with something that came out in 1999.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I can't wait to buy ZOE2 MARS next month and ignore my girlfriend for an entire week playing it just like I did in high school :flaccid:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Play the videogames...with girlfriend?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I wouldn’t mind spending some time with remasters of my past girlfriends but that seems unlikely at this point.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Death Stranding is also a Sony-published PS4 exclusive. What is going on with that post

Apparently I'm retarded, I'd seen so much Death Stranding on PC? Articles I ended up reading them as Death Stranding on PC!

And forgive me for forgetting ghosts is ps4 exclusive, it's the most under the radar of these 3 upcoming Japan setting 3rd person melee action games

As to shenmue, I was starting college when it came out and watched my friends play for hours. I never console gamed prior to college and the Dreamcast/ps2 launches so I didn't really have the blown away feeling as I didn't have much to compare stuff to.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 23, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Apparently I'm retarded, I'd seen so much [name of game] on PC? Articles I ended up reading them as [name of game] on PC!

In 2018 "console exclusives" ignore the PC version. So if a game release in PC and PS4, is still a PS4 exclusive. If a game release in PC and XBox, is still a Xbox exclusive.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Death Stranding really is only coming to PS4 though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I doubt I'm going to actually play through it a second time but I played God of War on new game+ up to the Stranger showing up at your house and I thought it was neat that he actually throws punches now when you slam him into the roof of the house.

Also having Skap Slag as a material now is a nice touch.

Anyway, very surprised Guacamelee 2 is only 20$ Gonna get that one soon-ish I bet. Hope it sells well. I know not every indie game can be Undertale or Terraria but I still hope for the best.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I discovered that it’s actually possible to own the Stranger so hard on NG+ that you’ll skip past the part where Kratos beats his face in on the roof right into the second phase of that fight.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The EDF shmup game just stealth launched in North America. $20!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, very surprised Guacamelee 2 is only 20$ Gonna get that one soon-ish I bet. Hope it sells well. I know not every indie game can be Undertale or Terraria but I still hope for the best.
Guacamelee 2 is, so far, easily as good as the first one, with consistently funny writing and extremely tight controls. Just like the first Guac, it’s dripping with character and gameplay variety, and it throws a lot of mechanics at you quite quickly giving you a consistent feeling of progression. The new chicken-only mini dungeons are fun little puzzles and so far have all resulted in chicken upgrades, often through chicken-themed versions of the Chorizo statues (chozo statues).

The timeline stuff in Guac 2 are great so far. Accidentally ending up in the “Baddest Timeline” while hurrying to the “Darkest Timeline” was amazing. The combat expands with each upgrade and the platforming is a great test of skill, especially the optional areas.

It’s really polished and easily worth the money - IIRC it was 10% off with PS+ on top of being only $20 full-price. A very sincere and unique Metroidvania if there ever was one.

https://i.imgur.com/bJtr8LO_d.jpg

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 23, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The port was good enough that they backported a bunch of the changes to the PC version of D:OS. It’s an amazing port.

Awesome! I'll definitely get it in the near future.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah but Last of Us 2 will be that swan song. :D If the PS5 is two years out it would make sense to see less exclusives overall (unless they want to repeat the same mistakes you just mentioned with the PS3 launch) listed for the PS4 since they'd have their top folks learning and conceiving PS5 stuff right now.

But as someone else posted it's kind of a moot point since there's still a pretty stream of PS4 exclusives happening anyway.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

gently caress yeah! It looks fun. Is it fun?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you ever get something in Kiwami akin to 0's Cash Confetti to let you avoid random fights? I know you won't get that specific ability because it was tied to the financial boom in the 80s but man, jeez, the random fights are so constant and getting really boring now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Do you ever get something in Kiwami akin to 0's Cash Confetti to let you avoid random fights? I know you won't get that specific ability because it was tied to the financial boom in the 80s but man, jeez, the random fights are so constant and getting really boring now

One of the CP rewards is the Beads of Good Fortune which prevent random battles. They cost 25 CP and they're way down the list so it'll take a while

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

aight so what time can I try for one of these limited edition PS4s

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Escobarbarian posted:

I just ran.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I had a spider man pS4 Pro pre ordered but canceled it. Realized Black Friday will have bette deals on the pro, and I’ll be too busy to play red dead till then anyway (pre ordered as well). So I’ll just grab one when they are cheaper then. I will be ordering one of those sick sunset orange controllers next month though. They look great

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LionArcher posted:

I had a spider man pS4 Pro pre ordered but canceled it. Realized Black Friday will have bette deals on the pro, and I’ll be too busy to play red dead till then anyway (pre ordered as well). So I’ll just grab one when they are cheaper then. I will be ordering one of those sick sunset orange controllers next month though. They look great

Anyone who doesn't call it a Goku controller is a cop

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

^^^^Full diablo 3? Cool

One you get wall run you are done with permanent upgrades, I think. Theres more things you get after beating bosses, THE BOSS? Havent googled those because that's fairly obvious, just havent been able to physically do it!

You get one more rune (I found about it on a stream) when you beat the hand of the king, a rune that lets you separate your head from your body and explore small spaces like being a ball in Metroid, after some distance your head will come back to the body.. I can now reliably get to the boss I mentioned, thing is getting with enough healing to finish it (I'll eventually get to it).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Guillermus posted:

You get one more rune (I found about it on a stream) when you beat the hand of the king, a rune that lets you separate your head from your body and explore small spaces like being a ball in Metroid, after some distance your head will come back to the body.. I can now reliably get to the boss I mentioned, thing is getting with enough healing to finish it (I'll eventually get to it).

Oh sweet! I keep dying in the kings keep or whatever. An elite swordsman gives me malaise and I just die insantly

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

aight so what time can I try for one of these limited edition PS4s

i'm wondering how hard it will be to try and grab that 500 million one

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
Well, Here They Lie stinks.

Can Kiwami 2 be out now, thanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh sweet! I keep dying in the kings keep or whatever. An elite swordsman gives me malaise and I just die insantly

My combo for getting there is to get 2x Crossb-o-matic or 1xCrossb-o-matic+1xsinew slicer (the highest damage possible), try to reroll for fire trails and poison cloud, then as main weapons the whip and a good ranged weapon that freezes or does freeze aoe on kill. Support mutation is a must so you can spam turrets, the idea is to drop the turrets and drop/climb somewhere safe and let the skills do the job and not get hit at all. If you stack aoe damage on kill, the more enemies the more damage you deal. Sure, you can get up close but you'll eat more hits.