Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

What's the plan for the weekend? I'm driving to Loch Ness. Gonna catch a monster.

Running the first session of my Fallout KC game this Friday. Putting off working on ToEE maps until next Thursday because that place is stupid huge (and my "gently caress is 5e stingy as gently caress with treasure. gently caress it, let's monty haul this poo poo!" strategy requires more work on my part but it means I get to throw poo poo like 4 earth elementals at a level 6 party and not worry about them being pasted immediately.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

What's the plan for the weekend? I'm driving to Loch Ness. Gonna catch a monster.

Gonna spend my Sunday playing board games, probably a shitload of Inis with some bar Azul thrown in. Might steal some coasters and play some Skull, too.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

Since all my other appointments fell flat,
mostly prepping what might be my final BtMoM session
and a metal/hard rock-concert on sunday to clock out the weekend xD

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Second 5e session tonight, it’s going pretty well so far - though we haven’t had to do combat or anything, so I haven’t run into the bad parts yet. I’m fine rolling 1s on trying to stealth my way past guards dressed as an old lady so far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

gonna drive four hours to a beach and go swimming. Monday's a holiday so it's a long weekend!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

drinking and then hopefully being sober enough on sunday to run stars without number

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

I'm going to play through more Monster Hunter World on the PC after already beating it on the PS4 because I talked more friends into liking the series

Playing it more makes me wonder again how well something like the stunt/maneuver trees in Spellbound Kingdoms would translate over to an pen and paper RPG about fighting large monsters to simulate Monster Hunter/Soulsborne-style combat focused on monsters telegraphing moves and trying to anticipate ways to defend/counterattack.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm going to play through more Monster Hunter World on the PC after already beating it on the PS4 because I talked more friends into liking the series

:same:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theironjef posted:

Yeah, neither of those was meant to be sarcastic, they'd be what I actually want to see play look like.

Both of them are pretty much in spirit of the comics, of course.

In the case of being diplomatic with the orc, though... it seems like the player isn't even clear about what he wants to accomplish there. Rolling attack against the orc has a clear intent of outcome; the orc dies (or is knocked out, depending on how you play games and what your player chooses). But rolling diplomacy is all fine and dandy... except what do you want to result from that? The orc likes you, shares some grog and lets you pass without telling the warboss? The orc joins your party? The orc invites you to his wedding? Especially since, depending on what the player wants to do and how they do it (and whether they do anything else, like say they support orc rights or slip the orc a couple gold pieces as a bribe) is likely to affect the roll and how difficult the DM decides it should be.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/lord-of-the-rings-rpg-books

This is an insanely good deal. :stare:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 23, 2018

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

Will be recording another DCC RPG session for my group's attempt at a podcast. Trying out a (hopefully) better audio set up for this session, so I'm excited for the results.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

Reading through the DCC core book I just got and trying to convince my friends to try it

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

Assuming the jackass in NC who still owes me a card actually sent the drat thing (2 weeks "in the mail" and counting) and it gets here, gonna play some modern magic on friday, probably cook some chili on saturday, and do D&D on sunday.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m reading through the free 44-page Unity preview and I’m bummed that the racial power for the Volcano Klingons is essentially a berserker rage complete with chance of attacking an ally if you overuse it. That seems like much more of an OSR-era mechanic than something trying to build off of 4e.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 23, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kinda want to try Shadow of the Demon Lord or a DCC game sometime, but I dunno if I wanna deal with all the relevant crunch.

I also want an excuse to use all these cool Dungeon World/PbtA playbooks and resources I have. I need to rope people into something at work...

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
What's DCC?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I don't want to drag the whole conversation up again, but in what world are you guys just dealing with one orc?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Surviving without AC, since it stopped working unexpectedly and I can't seem to manage to fix it on my own and I'm too embarassed by the state of my room to interact with my flatmates and ask them if they have the same problem or for help.

Depression sure sucks a whole lot!

Clean your room friend, you will probably feel a little better. (Sorry about your depression.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

Going to go see a free performance of Julius Caesar that my local Shakespeare company is putting on this weekend, and then a game I've been in for a couple years is probably wrapping up Sunday.

It's kind of a bittersweet feeling.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
In Strike!, I talk a bit about this issue of describing actions. Players do need to describe what they are doing and how, in enough detail to give the GM something to grab onto in case of a Twist or a Cost on their roll. They won't get a penalty for describing something dumb because that's not really a thing in Strike!, so they don't need to worry about it. But insufficiently described actions make the GM's job way harder. And they also risk stuff like this:

"Oh, a Twist! Let me think. Hm, ok, well things seem to be going well until you say you want X, at which point the princess's face goes hard."
"What?? Why would I say that? I don't want X at all!"
"Oh, sorry. You didn't say. Okay, let me try think of a different Twist..."

And that sort of thing really makes the GM's job of coming up with Twists into a huge pain. If the player doesn't describe what they want enough, then even what the GM described for a success could end up feeling unfair if it's not what the player had in mind.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Playing it more makes me wonder again how well something like the stunt/maneuver trees in Spellbound Kingdoms would translate over to an pen and paper RPG about fighting large monsters to simulate Monster Hunter/Soulsborne-style combat focused on monsters telegraphing moves and trying to anticipate ways to defend/counterattack.

I actually tinkered with something like that for a while. Hunters and monsters both had move flowcharts, so you'd do Slash one -> Slash two -> Super slash or whatever. Randomization came in when both players and monsters could choose to restart their flowchart to abort the combo, plus a deck of cards for bounded randomization for damage and special effects. Spend a seven of clubs out of your hand to do seven damage, spend a diamond card to inflict poison, drop a face card to avoid the monster's AoE, etc.

Unfortunately I'm lazy and bad at math, so it's about half-finished and terrible to actually play. Still, if someone smarter than me wants to take the idea and run with it, go ahead.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

grassy gnoll posted:

I actually tinkered with something like that for a while. Hunters and monsters both had move flowcharts, so you'd do Slash one -> Slash two -> Super slash or whatever. Randomization came in when both players and monsters could choose to restart their flowchart to abort the combo, plus a deck of cards for bounded randomization for damage and special effects. Spend a seven of clubs out of your hand to do seven damage, spend a diamond card to inflict poison, drop a face card to avoid the monster's AoE, etc.

I still hold that a modified BattleCon or Exceed would be a really fun and engaging RPG experience.
Gloomhaven got pretty close!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

In Strike!, I talk a bit about this issue of describing actions. Players do need to describe what they are doing and how, in enough detail to give the GM something to grab onto in case of a Twist or a Cost on their roll. They won't get a penalty for describing something dumb because that's not really a thing in Strike!, so they don't need to worry about it. But insufficiently described actions make the GM's job way harder. And they also risk stuff like this:

"Oh, a Twist! Let me think. Hm, ok, well things seem to be going well until you say you want X, at which point the princess's face goes hard."
"What?? Why would I say that? I don't want X at all!"
"Oh, sorry. You didn't say. Okay, let me try think of a different Twist..."

And that sort of thing really makes the GM's job of coming up with Twists into a huge pain. If the player doesn't describe what they want enough, then even what the GM described for a success could end up feeling unfair if it's not what the player had in mind.

It's also intensely unfair to the GM to ask them to not only fluff the world and NPC actions, but also player actions.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

Watching Christopher Robin with friends from a support group I'm in

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

Going to try and start writing up Invisible Sun for FATAL & Friends, now that I've got a PDF of my misprinted book and have read the whole thing.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Sion posted:

What's DCC?

Dungeon Crawl Classic. People seem to best accept it as an "OSR adjacent" RPG system. Old school gonzo atmosphere (but not in the edgelord way) with more modern 3E mechanics, and there have been a lot of great short adventures written for it. I just ran "Sailors on the Starless Sea" and had a blast.

Anyone that wants to try it out, the Quick Start Rules PDF is only $1.99 and includes all the rules for level 0 - 2 and has two short adventures included as well. That is stupid good value. The aforementioned "Sailors" adventure is also only $6.99 for the PDF.

I swear I'm not a paid shill, just really fell in love with the system recently and was impressed by the Goodman Games operation at GenCon. Their adventures seem like a great "palette cleanser" to break up long campaigns / perfect length for groups that can't schedule wrangle long campaigns.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Sorry to extend the 'is playing an RPG possible' discussion around social mechanics, but I feel like an important option has been missed: there are systems that make social maneuvering comparably complex to combat, which then use mechanics to flesh out player actions. I'm specifically thinking of Exalted 3, though since I haven't played the social system in that much I can't speak to it more than to say 'it makes your approach mechanically depend on specific relationships the other character has, which you can use mechanical actions to learn about and target.'
This seems like a more honest comparison to D&D combat than D&D diplomacy is, because it's a system that can actually support itself and generate outcomes. Single-roll no-caveats social rolls in a system that purports to allow 'I choose this explicit mechanical option from the list, I do it, that's what I do' seems like a basically incoherent design because it won't produce social outcomes that feel at all real or meaningful. Same with curing the plague- large actions being just one roll with no interaction devalues that part of play.

Basically I feel like, the more actual effort spent on a thing at table, the more that thing actually matters. The problem with "I roll to cure cancer" is that it dismisses an entire story with no meaningful engagement.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 23, 2018

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Antivehicular posted:

Going to try and start writing up Invisible Sun for FATAL & Friends, now that I've got a PDF of my misprinted book and have read the whole thing.

I can´t decide whether to think "You madman!" or "You poor, unfortunate soul..".

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Going to be running Dungeon World at a friend's request this weekend, grabbing some nice alt playbooks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Moriatti posted:

I still hold that a modified BattleCon or Exceed would be a really fun and engaging RPG experience.
Gloomhaven got pretty close!

There are several issues that come up in thinking about this, and it's funny because prior to BC I was working on a fighting game RPG that had some similarities. The first issue is just that having a really complex fighting system with a lot of decisions tends to bog things down. But more importantly, part of the strength of Exceed / BattleCON is awareness of your opponent's character and how that influences your actions. But in RPGs, it's rare to have repeated fights against the same character over and over. Moreover, it's also dependent on a GM that'd be good enough to present a challenge without being dominant over the players. You could just make sure most fights are against inferior opponents, but that's probably not that satisfying.

One solution is to have opponents with random responses, like BattleQUEST, but I find it fairly unsatisfying. Another would be to have some kind of predictable pattern, but that's only good for a few goes. Barring an awareness of matchups, in my experience from playtests is that players will just find the strongest move(s) and hammer them out like clockwork and hope that works, and so you need some kind of tell or information that gives them a clue to what's coming up they can act on. I had something like that for the Videogame-themed RPG I've been working on, but as time goes on I'm not sure whether or not that game would really benefit from the detailed stage / combat system I have right now. It's a pretty tricky thing to find the balance on.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There are several issues that come up in thinking about this, and it's funny because prior to BC I was working on a fighting game RPG that had some similarities. The first issue is just that having a really complex fighting system with a lot of decisions tends to bog things down. But more importantly, part of the strength of Exceed / BattleCON is awareness of your opponent's character and how that influences your actions. But in RPGs, it's rare to have repeated fights against the same character over and over. Moreover, it's also dependent on a GM that'd be good enough to present a challenge without being dominant over the players. You could just make sure most fights are against inferior opponents, but that's probably not that satisfying.

I think modeling it on scroller type beat-em ups would be a more effective model for RPGs. Having enemy archetypes for most enemies, and named bosses that could appear multiple times. This allows the players to become familiar with some matchups but occasionally be thrown a surprise.

The other would be a more structured campaign. You fight almost entirely Orcs in this campaign and get good at predicting them!

As with most RPGs, enemies should be less powerful than the players, or at least have less options.

The upsides to this is that both the olayers and enemies will get better at fighting each other the more it happnens, since they'll be encountering each other so often. The downside is it lacks variety.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

There's an art festival in my town and I might go and see a theater thing. I'm not sure yet. It's adapted from a book of one of my all-time favourite writers, but an unfinished one, and I'm not at all sure what the performer is gonna make out of it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

Hopefully finish Final Fantasy XV so I can start Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Then hopefully have some dudes over to have a few beers and maybe make Fragged Empire characters. Tonight I'm gonna play some Exceed and maybe BattleCON!

If plans fall through, do more work on a homebrew Magic Titanfall-esque RPG I'm trying to write.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

S.J. posted:

Hopefully finish Final Fantasy XV so I can start Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Then hopefully have some dudes over to have a few beers and maybe make Fragged Empire characters. Tonight I'm gonna play some Exceed and maybe BattleCON!

Fuckoff, my weekend is all work.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

Gonna finish reading Unity, start putting together a one-shot for it. Not sure when, but I like the book so far and I'd like to see how it actually feels in play.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mr.Misfit posted:

I can´t decide whether to think "You madman!" or "You poor, unfortunate soul..".

I bought the drat thing. This is my penance.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Antivehicular posted:

I bought the drat thing. This is my penance.

I'm really looking forward to this examination, to be honest.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Moriatti posted:

Fuckoff, my weekend is all work.

I get annoyed by customers constantly even when I'm not at work so don't be too jealous. Also my customers are also nerds which makes me not wanna touch a lot of my favorite hobbies after I get home a lot of days because of having to deal with them all day long.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

That's fair, I'm at least able to quare tine myself from all work things on my days off.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's an art festival in my town and I might go and see a theater thing. I'm not sure yet. It's adapted from a book of one of my all-time favourite writers, but an unfinished one, and I'm not at all sure what the performer is gonna make out of it.

What's being performed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mkultra419 posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classic. People seem to best accept it as an "OSR adjacent" RPG system. Old school gonzo atmosphere (but not in the edgelord way) with more modern 3E mechanics, and there have been a lot of great short adventures written for it. I just ran "Sailors on the Starless Sea" and had a blast.

Anyone that wants to try it out, the Quick Start Rules PDF is only $1.99 and includes all the rules for level 0 - 2 and has two short adventures included as well. That is stupid good value. The aforementioned "Sailors" adventure is also only $6.99 for the PDF.

I swear I'm not a paid shill, just really fell in love with the system recently and was impressed by the Goodman Games operation at GenCon. Their adventures seem like a great "palette cleanser" to break up long campaigns / perfect length for groups that can't schedule wrangle long campaigns.

Yeah DCC is a great game with great support, both official and third party, also the book is gorgeous and huge(and the softcover edition is fairly cheap on Amazon)

Only real issue is that it can be a bit of a pain finding the special dice for it for a decent price