Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Word is BBT is ending because Parsons is ready to move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ashpanash posted:

American Vandal is absolutely fantastic. It also won a peabody award.

I haven't watched American Vandal, but I saw the trailer for season 2. I can't tell if it's a documentary or a parody of a documentary.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Top Gun has some extremely 80s weirdness with male sexuality/homophobia, douche protagonists, women as fan service/trophies, extremely cheesy dialogue.

But its fun (even if the hero is too! drat! reckless! MAVERICK) until the ending gets too serious and dull.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't watched American Vandal, but I saw the trailer for season 2. I can't tell if it's a documentary or a parody of a documentary.

It's a parody of true crime series, like the podcast Serial (which gets explicitly namedropped in Season 1) and Making a Murderer.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't tell if it's a documentary or a parody of a documentary.

The later, but it borders on a pastiche because it’s done so well. Exceptional verisimilitude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's also loving hilarious. It's very much in the vein of Christopher Guest's stuff

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Word is BBT is ending because Parsons is ready to move on.

Makes sense, he's been doing other roles lately that I bet a lot more fulfilling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Move on to the inevitable nerd-role typecasting he will be stuck in for 20 years?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He was great in the AIDS movie. He's a solid dramatic actor.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I echo everything people have said about American Vandal and I also want to add that the mystery aspect is so compelling. You really get drawn in and the twists and turns are doled out to perfection with every clue layering in perfectly such that it rewards a rewatch.

#KrazDidTheDicks forever

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
American Vandal is great. End of the F**king World or whatever the censoring is is real good too, but it’s no AV. Still worth watching eventually though cos it’s real short

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Move on to the inevitable nerd-role typecasting he will be stuck in for 20 years?

The main cast on that show was clearing a million dollars an episode or something absurd like that, I don't think he's going to need to do that unless he's real bad with money.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

IRQ posted:

The main cast on that show was clearing a million dollars an episode or something absurd like that, I don't think he's going to need to do that unless he's real bad with money.

Just think, it could have been Macaulay Culkin with all that money.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't think I'd want to be on the show they way they pitched it to him either but drat in hindsight that's just so much loving money. You could film me doing many many things I'd hate to do for a $22MM per year paycheck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought the first few episodes of Harlots were really good and then it plummeted off a cliff and became REALLY bad and I stopped watching.

Surprised anyone is talking about it, let alone AVClub.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Alex Trimboli is a lil bitch.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

100%

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Huge lil bitch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

hundred percent. hundred percent.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Heyy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hey with two ys, she wants the D :smug:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
All this has happened before, and will happen again

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1032701665403592704

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So I'm wondering who they'll cast in the Golden Girls reboot. If Betty White isn't the matriarch, there will be hell to pay.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

So I'm wondering who they'll cast in the Golden Girls reboot.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Would watch tbh

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Top Gun isn't very good. I love the Top Gun ride at Universal Studios but that's it.

Top Gun is the quintesssential guy movie. If you come from that era of course. Also it's a military movie set between wars, the navy had gently caress all to do... "yvan eht nioj"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of 80s remakes, I know there was a lot of great TV so far this year but I think my favorite, or at least the show I enjoyed the most so far is Cobra Kai. I'll often go back and watch a scene here or there. The whole tournament episode is loving awesome

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rocksicles posted:

Top Gun is the quintesssential guy movie. If you come from that era of course. Also it's a military movie set between wars, the navy had gently caress all to do... "yvan eht nioj"

That superliminal joke from that episode remains one of my all time favorite Simpsons jokes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

That superliminal joke from that episode remains one of my all time favorite Simpsons jokes.

L.T L T Smash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaRctjOh9ho

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That episode is no poo poo the day I'd finally had enough of The Simpsons and stopped watching it.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Fun fact, other than Mary Steenburgen, all those actors are older than the Golden Girls cast were when the show ended.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LividLiquid posted:

That episode is no poo poo the day I'd finally had enough of The Simpsons and stopped watching it.

I don't remember much past that season. But that is a good episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWbeczuhRcs

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 24, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

LividLiquid posted:

It tricked you into joining the Navy, didn’t it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
whoever said the finale of Barry was bad is so wrong. SO WRONG. it was perfect. holy poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mindhunter final verdict: *extremely drawn out sigh*

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We need to create a new name for this type of killing. it's like series of continuous killing by one man. What do we call it guys?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Here's 22 minutes of despair/comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smBgwCmXhY8

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just finished Disenchanment and liked it. Does it already have a second season, or given the pedigree of the writers was it just assumed at least a second season would be ordered. It really felt like a mid-season cliff hanger.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Lurdiak posted:

Mindhunter final verdict: *extremely drawn out sigh*

That about sums up my thoughts on it. The back half really fell apart after a very promising start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

swickles posted:

Just finished Disenchanment and liked it. Does it already have a second season, or given the pedigree of the writers was it just assumed at least a second season would be ordered. It really felt like a mid-season cliff hanger.

20 episodes were ordered initially, so there will be more. It looks like they are moving away from the Season descriptor and have these 10 episodes labeled as Part 1.