Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

yeah that's never happened in the history of the world, something existing for a long time and failing

e. don't mean to be spicy, it's just something about the paranoid mindset on the left that drives me... crazy

everyone is an infiltrator and all groups you're not a part of are psyops.

ISO has seemed to me just more like a clique-ish good ol' boys' network of academics, like DSA but with books. Is it possible the CIA directly or indirectly helped them at some point? Sure. It doesn't matter, though, since the organization has been in a talespin and is too anemic even to pick up the more thoroughly radicalized disenchanted ex-DSA'ers.

PSL seems pretty good at doing but all of my indicators point to "sex cult" on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Party for Sexual Liberation

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ISO and PSL suck

join us at PLP, we have boots riley and are even more obscure and ineffective. we've probably been infiltrated by the CIA/FBI too!!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Dreddout posted:

Party for Sexual Liberation

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The least to ask for is that a left wing organization not literally repeat the State Department's regime change line.

literally the only thing you have to say re: Syria is "I stand with the people of Syria, and their right to choose their government."

as soon as you start trying to ruminate on the subject you're hosed, because it's hosed from every direction and a god damned tragedy and the answer to russian ratfuckery isn't american ratfuckery ever, ever ever ever

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Impermanent posted:

everyone is an infiltrator and all groups you're not a part of are psyops.

Any group that supports American foreign policy in one way or another may as well be a psyop. It's frustrating to see all of these useful idiots cloistered in their home offices, uncritically lapping up the constant drip of right wing social media manipulation, with no regard to any reporting of conditions on the ground by people who actually went there. Postoyevsky can call Max Blumenthal a rich boy all he likes, but he actually went to Nicaragua during an active insurgency when nobody else would and blew the lid off the fact that the opposition has been waging a stochastic terror campaign where they've been torturing and murdering Sandinistas - instead of the mainstream line of being a completely one-sided war of the government on civil society.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ShriekingMarxist posted:

literally the only thing you have to say re: Syria is "I stand with the people of Syria, and their right to choose their government."

as soon as you start trying to ruminate on the subject you're hosed, because it's hosed from every direction and a god damned tragedy and the answer to russian ratfuckery isn't american ratfuckery ever, ever ever ever

The same thing that happened in Syria where Western media misrepresented facts about the opposition and the nature of the civil war over and over is happening again in Nicaragua, so at some point there needs to be a reckoning with how much leftists should put their faith into the NGO complex and liberal media. There's a severe lack of journalistic rigor at all levels.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Any group that supports American foreign policy in one way or another may as well be a psyop. It's frustrating to see all of these useful idiots cloistered in their home offices, uncritically lapping up the constant drip of right wing social media manipulation, with no regard to any reporting of conditions on the ground by people who actually went there. Postoyevsky can call Max Blumenthal a rich boy all he likes, but he actually went to Nicaragua during an active insurgency when nobody else would and blew the lid off the fact that the opposition has been waging a stochastic terror campaign where they've been torturing and murdering Sandinistas - instead of the mainstream line of being a completely one-sided war of the government on civil society.

critical support for American trust fund journalists

also, I've never said that Max Blumenthal hasn't done good work, I loved Goliath. It's just funny watching him melt down and call publications who disagrees with him on Assad CIA-funded :shrug:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I can understand the frustration, seeing that the u.s. military would love nothing more than to get into syria and people who try to write "oh but isn't assad a bad leader?" thinkpieces are either extremely irresponsible, naive, stupid, or co-opted. But my point is that they could be any one of those things, not necessarily co-opted.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Max Blumenthal's piece on Nicaragua is top shelf, thanks for linking to Moderate Rebels

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Postoyevsky posted:

also, I've never said that Max Blumenthal hasn't done good work, I loved Goliath. It's just funny watching him melt down and call publications who disagrees with him on Assad CIA-funded :shrug:

Wierd thing to find funny imo

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Impermanent posted:

I can understand the frustration, seeing that the u.s. military would love nothing more than to get into syria and people who try to write "oh but isn't assad a bad leader?" thinkpieces are either extremely irresponsible, naive, stupid, or co-opted. But my point is that they could be any one of those things, not necessarily co-opted.

yeah I mean Jacobin's sins are much more closely aligned with "being dumb as hell reformism" rather than some grand CIA coopt

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don't think Blumenthal is even saying the CIA is actually funding those orgs, just that they're fulfilling the same "anti-communist left" role that actual CIA-funded orgs did during the Cold War. You may disagree with him on that but I'm pretty sure that's what he's getting at

alsothere
Oct 14, 2014
Taco Defender

Postoyevsky posted:

he's not literally saying they're funded by the CIA though? i read him as saying "these are the organizations funding US propaganda , much like the CIA has done before".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jacobin's founder is extremely not mad about it

https://twitter.com/sunraysunray/status/1032608746059517952

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

does Jacobin really wanna start the war on that front? lmao

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

oh hell yes, extremely here for this fight

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

If you seriously think Jacobin is a CIA front you're broke brained

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

:yeshaha:

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

They're an FSB front, obviously.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

"fulfill that role" is the operative phrase:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I don't think Blumenthal is even saying the CIA is actually funding those orgs, just that they're fulfilling the same "anti-communist left" role that actual CIA-funded orgs did during the Cold War. You may disagree with him on that but I'm pretty sure that's what he's getting at

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The quality of writing in Jacobin is too poor to be directly CIA-backed. It does fill that role though.

If you ever talk to Bhaskar in person you'll find that he does actually want jacobin to be the Iskra of our times (and yes, he is then the lenin of our times by inference). He's just such a complete reformist at heart that he really believes that lenin would be all about bernie sanders.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The trots did this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You can't spell Jacobin without CIA

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

gradenko_2000 posted:

"fulfill that role" is the operative phrase:

this could be applied to chomsky, it's an absurd position imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Max Blumenthal's piece on Nicaragua is top shelf, thanks for linking to Moderate Rebels

If you've got the time, Real News hosted a debate between Blumenthal and Dr. Mary Ellsberg on the situation in Nicaragua.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5UPNIgcEE

It's notable what kind of difference the outlook is between somebody who was physical on the ground and interviewing people, and someone like Dr. Ellsberg who has been living in the states and following the situation purely through social media.

One of the things Ellsberg brings up is that the snipers who shot at protesters during the initial phase of the violence were using Dragunov sniper rifles, and because Dragunovs are illegal to own in Nicaragua then that proves the snipers were working for the police or government. But that doesn't prove anything. Dragunovs are Soviet kit and there's tens of thousands of them floating around in the world. It'd be simple to smuggle illegal weapons into Nicaragua, especially with all of the violence and gang activity going on in neighboring Honduras. The way that the gangs have escalated their use of weapons from hand mortars and molotov cocktails to assault rifles and machineguns indicates that there were caches of weapons being stockpiled for this kind of political crisis where destabilizing elements could exploit the situation to escalate the violence and force early elections. Saying the sniper rifles could only have been used by the government because they're illegal to civilians is an uncritical teleology.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

this could be applied to chomsky, it's an absurd position imo

chomsky is also a chump

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chumpsky

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
b-b-b-but you could say the same of michael moore!!!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

chomsky is also a chump

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cast down your revisionism comrades and icepick the trot within yourself

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Normal Chumpsky

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

chomsky totally did not work on pentagon funded projects during his tenure at MIT. he said so himself

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the field of linguistics is a CIA psy op

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Lmao

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

lol

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02bHO9t6fuI&t=7s

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

BULBASAUR posted:

Can someone explain to a pleb why Trot is bad?

have you been introduced to the immortal science of Posadism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

party for spiced latte