Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/08/microsoft-prepares-to-kill-the-windows-8-store-no-new-apps-from-november/

windows 8 will no longer have new store apps starting in november
windows phone 8 will no longer get store app updates starting july 1st, 2019
windows 8 will no longer get store app updates starting july 1st, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
but there were never new apps on the store :confused:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SupSuper posted:

but there were never new apps on the store :confused:

now those bitcoin miners will have to find another distribution vector

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dang without updates how will i use all those webview "apps" of webpages

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

we have an air handler that once a month spits out a snmp trap claiming to the room is over 2 billion degrees and every single time the monitoring people call me in the middle of the night and I force them to read the absurd number back to me for wasting my time on stupid bullshit

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

we have an air handler that once a month spits out a snmp trap claiming to the room is over 2 billion degrees and every single time the monitoring people call me in the middle of the night and I force them to read the absurd number back to me for wasting my time on stupid bullshit

like maybe im an idiot but arent thermometers p. much solved technology at this point? how does this happen?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I assume the snmp agent running on the thing is garbo and gets cycled monthly on a schedule and screams a bunch of bullshit on the way down

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

like maybe im an idiot but arent thermometers p. much solved technology at this point? how does this happen?

thermometers are but integer overflows apparently aren't

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

LastInLine posted:

buying cheap sensor systems

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
It's startling how many xXEnterpriZe_Gr4deXx environment sensors either sold with their own controllers or through big vendors like APC are actually small mom/pop shops that barely even understand ac circuits.

Is a blessing, too, actually, because I've met a few sensor builders who just want to know what people are interested in buying and are willing to go back and forth with you on a few designs.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Potato Salad posted:

It's startling how many xXEnterpriZe_Gr4deXx environment sensors either sold with their own controllers or through big vendors like APC are actually small mom/pop shops that barely even understand ac circuits.

right ?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
almost everything i've ever seen in manufacturing and automation was made by engineers who had never heard of the concept of error handling

like, "my design is perfect, there will never be unexpected data", which leads to some real weird poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or if anything fucks up an operator will handle it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

or if anything fucks up an operator will handle it.

well, they will :v:

Potato Salad posted:

Is a blessing, too, actually, because I've met a few sensor builders who just want to know what people are interested in buying and are willing to go back and forth with you on a few designs.

yeah sensors in general is a weird market. there aren't as many off the shelf options as you might think

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the operator probably hosed it up in the first place.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Since when did alt+f4 on the (win10) desktop bring up a shutdown menu?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Since when did alt+f4 on the (win10) desktop bring up a shutdown menu?

Since windows 2000

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jit bull transpile posted:

Since windows 2000

That's weird because I've been slamming f4 for nearly as long as i've been slamming you're mom.

Seriously though, did it used to have a time out on the desktop coming to the top of z order? I've never had it pop up before.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Seriously though, did it used to have a time out on the desktop coming to the top of z order? I've never had it pop up before.

Not as far as I know. I've been using alt f4 to shut off my pc since I built my gaming rig for morrowind in high school.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

what?? literally never heard or experienced that being a thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's true, alt+f4 on the desktop has brought up the shutdown dialog since forever

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bulgakov posted:

what?? literally never heard or experienced that being a thing

Come on, plenty of people played Morrowind.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:tmyk:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol microsoft

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

you can use dumb resistance based poo poo (RTD) or a thermocouple, so there's still choices

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1032647022376099840

this tweet but the exact opposite for my experience with teams, which we'll probably be dropping

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

univbee posted:

this tweet but the exact opposite for my experience with teams, which we'll probably be dropping

Microsoft is the pinnacle of works-on-my-machine -only.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Our company still uses skype for business, I feel like it's inevitable that the management is going to force Teams on us :smith:

I am struggling to find a good alternative that isn't just Slack or a clone though

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

Our company still uses skype for business, I feel like it's inevitable that the management is going to force Teams on us :smith:

I am struggling to find a good alternative that isn't just Slack or a clone though

there are literally no alternatives to skype if you want non-tech coworkers to participate. microsoft has full blown monopoly and can do what they want. sure if you are google or apple you will have your internal stuff but in normal companies that arent just programmer gaggles skype is the law

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there are literally no alternatives to skype if you want non-tech coworkers to participate. microsoft has full blown monopoly and can do what they want. sure if you are google or apple you will have your internal stuff but in normal companies that arent just programmer gaggles skype is the law
teams is an alternative to skype for business, and teams is good. also teams is free now, like slack

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
teams seems fine

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

univbee posted:

Nintendo doesn’t have very good multi-device support either

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

univbee posted:

works on my machines

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the client is electron so its dogshit slow tho

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my employer just switched to skype for business for professionals 3.1 with chat and it's loving garbage

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

the client is electron so its dogshit slow tho
compared to skype for business it's lightning fast

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just opened teams and was greeted by this message

thanks, homer

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Do you have any idea how much development time they save by putting a single try/catch around the entire codebase

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

compared to skype for business it's lightning fast

eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

now that's interesting, i grabbed a random picture to post from elsewhere online, but i'm pretty sure mine was "corrected" to have an apostrophed "D'oh!"