Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

UnfurledSails posted:

I used to do that, at least do two piles of low CMC and high CMC, but I was told I need to keep my cards in a single pile throughout so it's not that easy. I thought people kept tally of how many cards they have for each CMC somehow in their head so that they don't have to go through their piles all the time

Unless it's really obvious I tend to not worry about that until later in the draft. Like pack 1 I just take whatever and unless I know I have like 4 5+ mana spells I don't worry too much about curve. Pack 2 I'll pay a little more attention to it, and pack 3 is where I'll make the Daring Skyjek over Serra Angel pick if my curve needs it. I never really remember "3 2s, 4 3s, 5 4s," etc. I find it easier to figure out what I'm missing than to remember what I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Remember you get to look through your picks after each pack, a good thing to do during that time is remind yourself of how your curve is shaping up and whether you need to start prioritising anything in particular.

(Alongside all the other things you're looking for, like "how am I doing on enablers vs. payoffs for this synergy mechanic" etc.)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
order your cards via CMC.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

In FNM you can looks at your pile of picks between, or even during, each pick as long as you don't have both piles of cards in your hands at the same time. If you're drafting at a GP or PT then you need to have an idea of what your deck needs, since you can only look through at the end of each pack.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Have you tried reading the post you're quoting before spouting off like a jackass? You completely missed the entire point of the post, just so you could be lovely and accusatory. Congratulations. You're probably That Guy for every store in your area.

Everyone I’ve ever met who self-identifies as a grinder has indisputably been That Guy so

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hauki posted:

Everyone I’ve ever met who self-identifies as a grinder has indisputably been That Guy so

Everyone I've ever met who self-identifies as a Casual has indisputably been an Antisocial Doofus so

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Ahh yes, the time of the year between sets and before spoiler season where the thread attempts to eat itself :discourse:

Anyone do any chaos drafts on mtgo, and are they any good?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What are god replacements for fling and blossoming defence? Am I going to have to wait for spoiler season or is there anything in ixalan etc. Thud doesn't do it for fling, since I'll often fling in response to something killing my attacking creature :(

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

UnfurledSails posted:

When drafting offline, how do you keep track of your curve? Sometimes I just lose track of what cards I have and end up with a higher or lower curve than I need. It's much easier in modo since you can sort your chosen cards by CMC and see what you need better.

UnfurledSails posted:

I used to do that, at least do two piles of low CMC and high CMC, but I was told I need to keep my cards in a single pile throughout so it's not that easy. I thought people kept tally of how many cards they have for each CMC somehow in their head so that they don't have to go through their piles all the time

don't do multiple piles, you're going to accidentally pass part of your draft pool instead of a pack, i've seen it a bunch of times

my trick is using ballpark figures instead of trying to remember the exact number. "I need more three drops", "I have a ton of five drops drops", stuff like that. Then go through your pool between each pack to make sure your estimates are accurate.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

What are god replacements for fling and blossoming defence? Am I going to have to wait for spoiler season or is there anything in ixalan etc. Thud doesn't do it for fling, since I'll often fling in response to something killing my attacking creature :(

No and no. Both are fairly unique for what they do and honest are rarely in a standard set.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

No and no. Both are fairly unique for what they do and honest are rarely in a standard set.

A common or uncommon instant speed trick for G that gives hexproof and some upside is almost always around in some form or another, rotation means we lose both Blossoming Defense and Hapatra's Mark, but I'd expect one to show up in RTRTR. A similar effect is sometimes in white as well although that's usually via protection from a color. They're usually nowhere near as good as Blossoming Defense though, which like Vines of the Vastwood managed to be the rare combat trick that breaks into constructed.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Marketing New Brain posted:

A common or uncommon instant speed trick for G that gives hexproof and some upside is almost always around in some form or another, rotation means we lose both Blossoming Defense and Hapatra's Mark, but I'd expect one to show up in RTRTR. A similar effect is sometimes in white as well although that's usually via protection from a color. They're usually nowhere near as good as Blossoming Defense though, which like Vines of the Vastwood managed to be the rare combat trick that breaks into constructed.

Combat tricks aren't good in constructed?? Like giant growth and whatnot? Is it because they're temporary and can easily be killed off by removal like enchantments?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

ilmucche posted:

Combat tricks aren't good in constructed?? Like giant growth and whatnot? Is it because they're temporary and can easily be killed off by removal like enchantments?

It's because you get 2-for-1ed by any removal spell the moment you point a giant growth at one of your creatures.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Those are two reasons, they're also super dead if you don't have a creature on the field that can attack and that's not uncommon in constructed.

Even if you meet all those requirements the rate on them is almost always super low, the most playable they ever were was on infect creatures where they count double, so the rate for them needs to be somewhere between Giant Growth and literal Double Giant Growth to be a worthwhile card.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Does this apply to rancor as well? I love that enchantment, and rancor on an opponent's 3/x really confused opponents before hitting them with a slesnya charm

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Katana Gomai posted:

OK then, continue getting tilted instead of doing something about it I guess.
Ah yes, the old "you post about it online which means you cannot also be saying something when it happens" argument. You are definitely That Guy.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Does this apply to rancor as well? I love that enchantment, and rancor on an opponent's 3/x really confused opponents before hitting them with a slesnya charm

Rancor is more playable than most because it's not that easy for your opponent to 2 for 1 you. I can definitely imagine a standard where rancor ends up being playable.

Part of the reason that tricks are mediocre in constructed is that they don't really further your gameplan, in neither offensive nor defensive decks. Defensive decks just want to kill the opponent's creatures, rather than risk blocking with a creature and pumping it (if they even run creatures at all). Offensive decks don't want the opponent to block in the first place. If the opponent blocks, sure you can kill their creature with a pump spell on yours, but they still didn't take any damage.

One of the big reasons why combat tricks can be good in limited is that you never end up with as much removal as you want. So, combat tricks let you play additional "removal" spells. In constructed, you don't have that restriction.

The big exception is all-in decks, like infect (play a creature with infect and fill the deck with very cheap pump spells, so you kill the opponent in one hit), or decks based around Kiln Fiend.

Combat tricks like blossoming defense can be constructed playable as well, but their main use is to stop the opponent from killing your creature, with targeted removal, like Cast Down. The +2/+2 is a secondary effect in that case, although it can be useful in some situations as well, of course.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 23, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

As long as you don't get blown out with it, no.

Funnily enough Rancor was in standard with Infect last and that's when it was very strong and very playable.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as you don't get blown out with it, no.

Funnily enough Rancor was in standard with Infect last and that's when it was very strong and very playable.

it was also playable in INN-RTR super standard because gladecover scout and armadillo cloak were reprinted.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Part of what makes a combat truck playable is the format. Most formats Giant Growth isn’t a card in constructed because there isn’t a green curve-out beat down deck, or at least one not better served with another creature instead. But when paired with infect as others have mentioned...

It goes the other way too- right before Theros’ rotation, there was a mono-black Aggro deck with a Warriors theme that was making the rounds that was running Touch of Moonglove of all goddamn cards in the main deck specifically because while the creatures were there to make the deck go, the cheap removal at the time was particularly bad and poorly dealt with many of the format’s bigger problem creatures (specifically Siege Rhino and Wingmate Roc) coming down before closing out a game. So Touch was basically used to let people attack into fatties profitably and push the last couple points of damage through.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Has anyone used cardsphere?

Found it while looking for a trade source (in addition to SA). Was wondering if it's hotgarbage or if it is worth checking out?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kilazar posted:

Found it while looking for a trade source (in addition to SA). Was wondering if it's hotgarbage or if it is worth checking out?

It definitely seems to have way fewer economy issues than Pucatrade.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

ShaneB posted:

It definitely seems to have way fewer economy issues than Pucatrade.

I don't even know what pucatrade is heh. Basically I am very new to trading magic over the internet. I've only ever bought cards online, never tried trading. Is there any safety net in case of counterfeit? I think that is what scares me the most, is dropping a $20 or more on a card and having ti be fake with no recourse like a return policy.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 23, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kilazar posted:

I have used it off and on and there are a few things you should know.

1: Cardsphere has a small chunk of its userbase that is fanatical. Twitter, reddit, facebook, you name it, will have discussions on the topic greatly altered by this small group pretty hardcore. They will relentlessly steer discussion away from the negatives to only positive things. While doing your research take it with a grain of salt of things you read in those open forums. That userbase is going to try to paint the picture that cardsphere is better than pucatrade in its hay day and that is simply not the case.

2: Buying and selling protection is pretty lack luster compared to about any other platform which you are giving the website a cut (which you are with cardsphere on both sides). Issues with quality, loss of product, and fakes is still not ironed out and it makes each transaction you make riskier than normal especially doing business with low volume users.

3: Cardsphere is going to feel a lot more sharky. The average cardsphere user is a lot less casual than puca and the binder grinder density is a lot higher. This means the market for non-staple stuff is pretty minimal for selling while buylists for staples is going to seem very low. Overall the economy feels about the same as your local facebook group for buy and sell prices except you give up a cut to cardsphere.

Its still a viable alternative to buying and selling cards but in my opinion its not really worth it compared to all your current options.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Sickening posted:

I have used it off and on and there are a few things you should know.

1: Cardsphere has a small chunk of its userbase that is fanatical. Twitter, reddit, facebook, you name it, will have discussions on the topic greatly altered by this small group pretty hardcore. They will relentlessly steer discussion away from the negatives to only positive things. While doing your research take it with a grain of salt of things you read in those open forums. That userbase is going to try to paint the picture that cardsphere is better than pucatrade in its hay day and that is simply not the case.

2: Buying and selling protection is pretty lack luster compared to about any other platform which you are giving the website a cut (which you are with cardsphere on both sides). Issues with quality, loss of product, and fakes is still not ironed out and it makes each transaction you make riskier than normal especially doing business with low volume users.

3: Cardsphere is going to feel a lot more sharky. The average cardsphere user is a lot less casual than puca and the binder grinder density is a lot higher. This means the market for non-staple stuff is pretty minimal for selling while buylists for staples is going to seem very low. Overall the economy feels about the same as your local facebook group for buy and sell prices except you give up a cut to cardsphere.

Its still a viable alternative to buying and selling cards but in my opinion its not really worth it compared to all your current options.

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for. All the reviews I kept finding really felt like a bunch of kool-aid drinking. I don't think the site fits my risk tolerance at this point unless they get better fake/damage comp in place.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

When drafting offline, how do you keep track of your curve? Sometimes I just lose track of what cards I have and end up with a higher or lower curve than I need. It's much easier in modo since you can sort your chosen cards by CMC and see what you need better.

Pack 1 I usually don't worry about curve, between packs when looking over the picks I sort my on-curve playables by cc, and try to make mental notes like "needs more 2-3 cc drops", "no more fours, that slot is packed", etc. Not really into keeping exact counts.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Everyone I've ever met who self-identifies as a Casual has indisputably been an Antisocial Doofus so

Did you have a point here? TBH I’d probably rephrase that as “the majority of magic players are antisocial doofuses.”

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Firebatgyro posted:

Sort your playables by CMC while you draft....

if you do this you're gonna need to ceaselessly shuffle your cards, because any good player will be able to keep track of the CMC of the drafted cards and be able to predict what you've drafted. quick hand shuffling will keep them off of this, you just have to memorize every single card you've drafted, but you can take advantage of this if any of your opponents is foolish enough to give away this much information and not keep up their advantages with card shuffling.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I came up with the Most Absurd Design Challenge jawing with a friend about the RL and Thunder Spirit:

Every extant card other than basic* lands has been added to the Reserved List effective immediately.

Design a set.

E:* accidentally typed nonbasic here, making for an even more bizarre restriction.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 23, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I came up with the Most Absurd Design Challenge jawing with a friend about the RL and Thunder Spirit:

Every extant card other than nonbasic lands has been added to the Reserved List effective immediately.

Design a set.

I start with a cycle of basic land typed cards that come into play tapped but tap for either a mana of their colour or 13 but only one land can do that per turn.

I then design a normal set of cards and add 12 to their cost.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you could get a lot of design space out of just making every creature and spell in a set a morph 0 that becomes a basic land and then give them unmorph costs based on returning basic land types to your hand. it would be a nightmare to play in paper but mystery box: the set! would be funny at least.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

you could get a lot of design space out of just making every creature and spell in a set a morph 0 that becomes a basic land and then give them unmorph costs based on returning basic land types to your hand. it would be a nightmare to play in paper but mystery box: the set! would be funny at least.

Holy crap, if that is not a variant already, I'm totally going to try building 60 card no land decks and just house rule that any card can be played as a morph basic land of your choice (keep a box of land on the side to help keep track of this). Any card can be flipped for it's casting cost. One per turn of course so the pace doesn't get crazy.

Never be land screwed again.

*edit* maybe change it to any permanent can be played as a morph land? be weird unmorphing spells?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 23, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Isn't that basically Kaijudo's mana system minus the part where they're creatures?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my system is fun because it makes discard relevant for the entire game, adds some spice to land destruction, and fundamentally changes tempo! i dont know what kaijudo is.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Kilazar posted:

Might be worth checking out deckbox.org. The community has thinned out over the years but I've done 220+ trades on there, many of which high value ones, without being scammed or sent fakes. Of course fakes have gotten better so risk is higher of getting them now than ever but most people on there have many trades and perfect feedback so they're not going to want to throw that away to rip someone off. No fees for trading and it's the site the mtg subreddit has used for like 7 years.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Holy crap, if that is not a variant already, I'm totally going to try building 60 card no land decks and just house rule that any card can be played as a morph basic land of your choice (keep a box of land on the side to help keep track of this). Any card can be flipped for it's casting cost. One per turn of course so the pace doesn't get crazy.

Never be land screwed again.

*edit* maybe change it to any permanent can be played as a morph land? be weird unmorphing spells?

We tried a few games where there's no land, but you can play any card as a land of its color (or colors - with multicolor cards coming into play tapped). You can only play one card as land per turn, and once played as land it IS that basic land type (or non-basic land in the case of multicolors) until it leaves the battlefield. There's probably lots of cards that don't work in this ruleset (some unplayable, some probably too strong, some unclear - like "what happens if you flicker a land?"), but generally it works really well - and it leads to a bunch of interesting decisions about what cards you use as lands vs. what you keep to use as spells. You can run a lot more specialized stuff, as cards are very seldom "blanks" (you can always play your Plummet as a Forest).

And yeah, it makes for a clean solution to mana screw/flood without completely removing the incentives around colored mana.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Matsuri posted:

As for the game-start draw 7, I pick up half of my deck, slide 4 off the top and lay them face down, then three and lay them next to the 4.

High-five 4x3 buddy. Although I lay the 3 on top of the 4.

teddust posted:

"Ah, 'Tis the dangerous stomping grounds. Do I charge in perilously to gain immediate access to it's treasures, or tread softly? Alas, I feel I must summon my ferocious feline friend post haste, so I will accept the two damage and allow it to enter the battlefield untapped."

TacoNight posted:

For standard, you just need to learn to mimic the sound effects from Arena as closely as possible.

“Wait, what are you targeting?
“I said *lightning strike crackle*, *elephant dying noise*”

Late, but both of these gave me a hard smile.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Every extant card other than basic* lands has been added to the Reserved List effective immediately.

Design a set.

E:* accidentally typed nonbasic here, making for an even more bizarre restriction.

That's just Future Sight isn't it?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Kjermzs posted:

High-five 4x3 buddy. Although I lay the 3 on top of the 4.

I do this too, but when I mulligan it goes to 3x3 not 4x2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Nibble posted:

I do this too, but when I mulligan it goes to 3x3 not 4x2.

Haha mega same,