Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slim Pickens posted:

sawed off coach gun, chainsaw and BFG or LMG I guess if you need something that currently exists, whatever

I was asking a realistic and legal loadout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hip fired punt gun

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
sxs is side by side
o/u is over under

Sorry if already discussed

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

o/u > sxs :omarcomin:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I just have a mossy 500 so both are better

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EBB posted:

o/u > sxs :omarcomin:

:yeah:

Considering gambling on a turkish O/U or a semiauto like the tristars. Seems to be a lot of praise for them on the internet, "My Tristar setter's worked flawlessly for four years and I shoot every other weekend!" etc.

20 ga with around 26" barrel sounds ideal to me for grouse, skeet, duck and the occasional island deer from <25 yards, the dumb docile fucks

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 23, 2018

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

The Rat posted:

Welp here it is with the Magpul kit on it.

This owns huge, drat

Me: Man if I ever get another shotgun I'll just get a drat Benelli or somethin I already got a low capacity gimmick 12 gauge
Ian: Hey guys, thanks for tuning in to another episode of Cool poo poo I'm Holding
Me: :swoon:

EBB posted:

just punch every target and the judges

Upon completion of course of fire, shooter consumes the berserker power up (a cherry kool aid or whatever so long as it's red) and has sixty seconds to punch as many of the speed bag targets at possible. One point for each hit, three points for each bag that slaps top of the bag stand. Bonus points to shooter that shouts a good line from the Doom comic.

Also at one point Omar packed a Mossberg 590 with a heatshield and hell yeah that's the good poo poo

:omarcomin:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 23, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Considering gambling on a turkish O/U or a semiauto like the tristars. Seems to be a lot of praise for them on the internet, "My Tristar setter's worked flawlessly for four years and I shoot every other weekend!" etc.

20 ga with around 26" barrel sounds ideal to me for grouse, skeet, duck and the occasional island deer from <25 yards, the dumb docile fucks

The problem with cheapo break actions is they're cheap. I thought I was getting a discount on my CZ but it turns out to be heavy as poo poo, heavier than any clay gun I'd fired before. I'd swap up between my CZ and my dad's nice Browning O/U and it's night and day. Definitely the type of gun you save for if you want to be serious about sport clays as a hobby.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

Upon completion of course of fire, shooter consumes the berserker power up (a cherry kool aid or whatever so long as it's red) and has sixty seconds to punch as many of the speed bag targets at possible. One point for each hit, three points for each bag that slaps top of the bag stand. Bonus points to shooter that shouts a good line from the Doom comic.

That does sound like something InRange would do. They did a World War I match where they had to pick up a crowbar and knock over an "enemy soldier" made of plastic water drums before moving to the final position and engaging with their pistol. All while Karl is complaining about his insanely long rifle and how the Kaiser isn't fighting instead.

There was another AK-centric match where one stage started with impaling a bale of hay with an unloaded AK and bayonet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I love my 590a1. Nothing more satisfying than snapping on the bayonet and stabbing pumpkins.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Make an SKS only round that involves making and cooking a kebab with your spike. Extra points for no hands!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I have a lovely chicom brought in during the 94 ban

:(

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WW2 Japanese-themed course where you bayonet a cabbage patch kid at the end

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slim Pickens posted:

WW2 Japanese-themed course where you bayonet a cabbage patch kid at the end

You finish the final stage by grabbing a Nerf gun and shooting yourself in the head.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The US is a place where under over shotguns (good ones) are more expensive than everywhere else. I assume because everyone is buying ar15s by the crate.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

EBB posted:

The problem with cheapo break actions is they're cheap. I thought I was getting a discount on my CZ but it turns out to be heavy as poo poo, heavier than any clay gun I'd fired before. I'd swap up between my CZ and my dad's nice Browning O/U and it's night and day. Definitely the type of gun you save for if you want to be serious about sport clays as a hobby.

Seconded. Getting a cheaper break action is setting the stage for a buy cheap buy twice situation. They just wear out faster, and that is a real issue when shooting clays with any degree of seriousness. The round count just adds up fast and the actions tend to loosen up, springs wear out, etc.

Better off looking for a used Browning or Beretta. Chances are they've never left the skeet/trap field and have been taken care of.

For instance, here's a Belgian Browning Superposed 30" 12ga O/U with a buy now for $799:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/773442179

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Slim Pickens posted:

Personally I'd go 12 gauge over 20 forever as you can always buy reduced recoil or load your own shells to achieve the same effect but you can't get a 20 to perform like a 12. Especially when you start getting into 3 inches.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I'll go with 12ga, and I've got a budget around $500. I think I'll check out some pawn shops again this week.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:flashfap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UKAX2fHBWM

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Could've used that to start sugar cane fires back in the day

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

https://palladiumboots.com/products/02352-344-m

these are old school french combat boots and they're half off at 35 bucks. I have a pair and its my daily wear with jeans shoe.

I dunno seems like this crowd would like them

belated thank you for this, bought a pair on a whim and they're awesome

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

https://palladiumboots.com/products/02352-344-m

these are old school french combat boots and they're half off at 35 bucks. I have a pair and its my daily wear with jeans shoe.

I dunno seems like this crowd would like them

These are pretty awesome, just got my pair in a few days ago; they look and wear like boot-soled Chuck Taylor's and that's pretty much exactly what I never knew I wanted

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

My alarm was set for 5AM this morning. Of course, Task Force Trash Panda got called out a couple times starting at 3:20AM [patrol results inconclusive, enemy presumably successfully deterred], so I ended up saying gently caress it and rolling out at 4:40AM. It was a good thing too, because when I arrived at the Glacier Gorge parking lot, there were only 5 spots left open. Initially I had planned to hit Andrews tarn/glacier first, since I haven't been to it before, and then Sky Pond. I switched it instead, so that I could get some pics of Sky Pond before the crowds arrived.

(The early morning light was kinda goofy in the first three camera pics, I had to take some of the underexposed ones and then boost the shadow areas because otherwise the sunny parts were all overexposed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKg2ZzPKl2M - photo editing is not a strength of mine)

The Loch

Lake of Glass, phone photo

Lake of Glass, camera w/ wide angle lens

Sky Pond, north side looking south

A fat marmot. All the marmots I saw on this trail looked like someone had stuck an air pump in them and overinflated them. Must be from all the tourists feeding them.

Sky Pond and the Sharkstooth, lake level.

Sky Pond, Sharkstooth and the Lake of Glass beyond, taken from the top of a rock outcropping on the south side of Sky Pond.

Andrews tarn, with the glacier centered.

Andrews glacier, up close.

One more as I was leaving.

After this I got stupid and thought that the mileage back from the Mills Lake/Loch Vale/Lake Haiyaha intersection would have been identical whether I went straight to the Glacier Gorge parking lot or took the detour over to Lake Haiyaha. Thought to myself, hey, I'll get some more lake pics!

Of course in my sleep addled stupidity I forgot to take contour lines into account and didn't realize that going back via Lake Haiyaha would be mostly uphill. Finally realized this when I was too close to make an efficient turnaround, was feeling beat and out of energy and had to duck into some rocks to take a poo poo. To add insult to injury, I couldn't even get any pics at Lake Haiyaha because there were so many people there. Trudged back through Dream Lake to the Bear Lake parking lot. The crowds were ridiculous, like the n00b area in an MMO game.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

are any chud places selling nike combat boots for cheap?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just got this all set up, now I need an XXL Hawaiian shirt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Rat posted:

Just got this all set up, now I need an XXL Hawaiian shirt.

Okay, that looks about like I did when I tried mine so I feel better about how it fits.

Also you are way more rad since you have a PDW and I have a mere SP5K.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It was an absurd amount of money for something that doesn't lock the bolt open on empty :mad:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can help you on the xxl part, but not hawaiian.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Rat posted:

It was an absurd amount of money for something that doesn't lock the bolt open on empty :mad:

Look maybe if you bought fewer rigs and cans you'd have the money for a real belt fed open bolt?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

EBB posted:

Look maybe if you bought fewer rigs and cans you'd have the money for a real belt fed open bolt?

The only open bolt belt fed that I'd want is a 240B, and civ-legal ones are something absurd like $180k :(:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got a ton of Hawaii’s shirts and shoulder rigs but I’m about twice as big as you.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Came across this video in the 40K thread, because apparently we're now building real-life bolters, but what blew my mind in this is the legal jibberjabber this guy runs off at the beginning of it.

"It's a :airquote:firearm:airquote:, not an SBS/PDR/SBA/whateverthefuck, so it's a "no tax-stamp", and because it's under 10lbs, it's not a destructive device. But you definitely can't shoulder it, because that's illegal, so you need to run hotter rounds.

See here? You can :airquote:cheek-weld:airquote: it, which is definitely not shouldering, or you could fire it from the hip, but no shouldering, no siree."

What in the gently caress is going on legally with this thing/dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7krlrcGtms

/edit:

That gentlemen has a couple of 88s too many in his name for my taste

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Came across this video in the 40K thread, because apparently we're now building real-life bolters, but what blew my mind in this is the legal jibberjabber this guy runs off at the beginning of it.

"It's a :airquote:firearm:airquote:, not an SBS/PDR/SBA/whateverthefuck, so it's a "no tax-stamp", and because it's under 10lbs, it's not a destructive device. But you definitely can't shoulder it, because that's illegal, so you need to run hotter rounds.

See here? You can :airquote:cheek-weld:airquote: it, which is definitely not shouldering, or you could fire it from the hip, but no shouldering, no siree."

/edit:

US firearms laws are a Byzantine nightmare and the ATF also makes poo poo up on the fly. People/gun manufacturers are constantly trying to skirt around the law through various technicalities and the ATF approves or disapproves depending on the phase of the moon and other mysterious factors.

IV8888 claims his 8s have no neonazi connection and as far as I know he hasn't been caught doing anything especially racist but would YOU trust a youtuber not to be racist?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 12, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm trying to wrap my head around this video and I'm having some serious trouble. I realize that this dude may be from a different state with different laws, but my reasoning is based on my Alabama-experience almost 20 years back, where I understood that you could go to a store and take a shotgun home, no questions asked, while getting an AR-15 would involve some paperwork/administrative effort, and getting a handgun required paperwork/administrative effort, and a mandatory waiting period with a background check.

So I assumed the reason acquiring this thing was so easy-going because it qualified as a shotgun, but iirc, the guy specifically says it's "not a shotgun, it's a smoothbore-:airquote:firearm:airquote: :spergin:", so that already had me confused.

Then, my brain broke when shouldering it suddenly made it illegal. :psyduck:

/edit:
To be fair, this really shouldn't confuse me after I learned that, in Arizona, as an international student, you were in the category of "prohibited possessors" like felons, which would mean even having access to a firearm would make both me a felon, as well as the person that gave me access to it. Like, I woke up first on the couch after a bender at a friend's house among several other international students sprawled across the floor in various states of drunken stupor, with three bongs and a Glock sitting on the table. lol, we're now all felons, and so is he.

But applying for a temporary hunting license via the state's board for 25 bucks/day suddenly made it legal for me to have access to, and operate literally any firearm possible. More comically even, enrolling in the university's hunting club would enable me to apply for a permanent hunting license, and while not being able to buy handguns at a store, I'd now be able to legally (!) purchase shotguns at any gun show around Arizona.

:psypop:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 12, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

America is the greatest country in the history of the world

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It's because the barrel is less than 18". If the barrel is 18" or more then it's just a regular shotgun and there are generally very few laws regulating them. Once you go one micron below 18" then you're in entirely different territory and you have to do a whole bunch of paperwork and get approved and pay a $200 tax stamp or you're going to federal prison for like 10 years.

It's basically playing "I'm not touching you!!!" with the law so it's neither a shotgun nor a much more heavily regulated "short barrel shotgun". Nor is it an also heavily regulated "any other weapon" which would uhhh be a short barreled shotgun that didn't have a rifle stock when it came out of the factory I think, in this case?

Like I said, Byzantine nightmare.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's some weird loophole that a shotgun can fall under. If you cut a stock and 18" barrel down as short as it can go, you've made a short barrel shotgun, which gets reclassed and is illegal without the paperwork. But if the manufacturer makes it that short without a stock, it falls into some 'firearm' gray zone that makes it legal under an "any other weapon" clause. Put a stock on it, and you're violating the law. Same deal with the "arm brace" :airquote: and he's just dickdancing around the law with the cheek weld and hip firing because that not-shotgun is totally a pistol and can't be easily shouldered, no siree.

It's a monument to the 'i'm not touching you' game between the ATF and gun makers, basically.

He runs hotter loads just to make sure it cycles since "you can't shoulder it" :airquote:

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 12, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around this video and I'm having some serious trouble. I realize that this dude may be from a different state with different laws, but my reasoning is based on my Alabama-experience almost 20 years back, where I understood that you could go to a store and take a shotgun home, no questions asked, while getting an AR-15 would involve some paperwork/administrative effort, and getting a handgun required paperwork/administrative effort, and a mandatory waiting period with a background check.

So "buy a gun and take it home, no questions asked" from a licensed dealer is 100% illegal as of 1998 when the National Instant Background Check System was implemented. Background checks were mandated as early as 1968, but it was done simply through asking yes/no questions and there wasn't a legal requirement for the dealer to actually verify if the guy was telling the truth when he swore he wasn't a felon. Background checks verified by the government initially applied only to handguns in 1993, but by 1998 it applied to all firearms.

State laws may be more restrictive (such as applying waiting periods and separate licensure), but at a minimum anyone who wants to buy a gun from a licensed dealer, from a single-shot .22 rifle to an AR-15 with a pile of 100-round drums, needs to complete a background check that cross-references the buyer's identity and answers on the questions with their actual criminal record. A background check is only not federally required for a private individual selling their personal property to another person, though some states require a background check be conducted for these as well and someone selling too many guns to make a profit will likely be declared an unlicensed dealer and prosecuted.

So for this "not a shotgun", a background check still has to be conducted. The only difference is that because the manufacturer uses legal loopholes, it isn't classified as a short-barreled shotgun or Any Other Weapon that would have additional federal regulation under the National Firearms Act of 1934 (which would require payment for a tax stamp and extra red tape, such as fingerprinting and approval from local law enforcement). It would just have the same federal background check requirements as any regular shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit:

This is a drawn out way to play I'M NOT TOUCHING YOU SEE SEE with the ATF in respect to garbage laws enacted in 1934 to gently caress over poor people by making a gun that is an inch too short a felony item or requiring a $200 tax stamp if you wanna be legal.

Also if someone gets one of those things and doesn't feed it a strict diet of full brass hulls they're loving up