Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
To each and their own, but calling it "cowardly" is real douchey and goes against your very first sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't drag New York into this thanks

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Actually, no, gently caress it. I am done with this argument

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 23, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It's only cowardly for the people who don't want to think about the creator of one of their favorite games being a huge bigot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I like doom

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Convex posted:

I like doom

It's been awhile I need to get back at trying to slayer medal arcade mode.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

That's all I have to say. Life's too short for bullshit. If people don't like me, they can put me on their ignore lists and I'll do the same.

Life's too short for "bullshit," such as believing that trans people are human beings whose existence is valid, apparently. :rolleyes:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

I like doom
Stop posting about videogames during our Annual Staring-At-Our-Hands-In-Horrified-Realisation-Of-The-Monsters-We-Truly-Are-And-The-Moral-Stains-We-Can-Never-Truly-Wash-Away Festival. It's off-topic. :colbert:

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Well I said the c-word so I at least have to elaborate on it, sorry.

Ularg posted:

It's only cowardly for the people who don't want to think about the creator of one of their favorite games being a huge bigot.

It's not cowardly if someone wants to take a work whose author never cared about such things, and put it in the context of I dunno, women's liberation.

It is cowardly to intentionally ignore the clear social/political aspect of something, because politics are an alternative to violence, and you're basically saying "let someone else get hurt because I don't want to worry about it". That sounds dramatic but imagine if people for example treated Heart of Darkness (which I haven't read) this way, or Gulag Archipelago.

Now the author's responsibility is an interesting subject, almost as interesting as the reader's responsibility, but that is so far removed from classic FPS games we may as well be discussing the most recent Call of Duty.

e: I seem to be always defending crappy games, not gonna defend Postal though. For simulated violence I draw the line at cruelty towards animals, because it's something we aren't yet, and should be, desensitized to.

loga mira fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 23, 2018

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lambert posted:

Battlefield 2 had visual hit markers two years before CoD4, so not even that.

Actually, I remember DICE implementing visual hit markers in Battlefield 1942 in a patch because otherwise, due to the server lag, you never had any idea if you actually hit anything. That must have been in 2003.

The Kins posted:

An Oral History of Goldeneye 64, with comments and archive images from several of the original developers. I've seen a couple of articles like this this year, but this one's on a free website instead of in a magazine, so hey.

This was a really cool read, thank you!

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 23, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Life's too short for "bullshit," such as believing that trans people are human beings whose existence is valid, apparently. :rolleyes:

Bullshit like letting his crappy views affect your life, actually

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The issue with Death of the Author is that (maybe moreso nowadays than in the past), people can make some wild analyses about what messages or opinions some a piece of media is trying to convey, which might be totally out of the field of what the creator or creators intended (if they intended any message at all). At the same time, you might not really find any message or theme in something that represents the creator's views. I like games like The Neverhood and Earthworm Jim, but in the last few years, I found out that Douglas Tennapel is a homophobic fundamentalist, which I take umbrage with. I still like his work, but looking through it, there's nothing in it that really points to anything regarding those views.

On the flipside, another thing to consider is that people are not static entities. A person's views and personality can change over time.

Again, though, I wonder why we're talking about this in the Early FPS thread.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 23, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If some dev is transphobic and thinks that im subhuman garbage, nah i dont think im just gonna ignore that and give them money anyways. Yall can miss me with that horseshit

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
It's actually sensible to discuss it here because early FPS games were controversial in their time and many courted it purposefully. The lovely politics are often an inextricable element of the games themselves. Wanting all that to just go away is what's tone-deaf.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Nah man it's not like everyone was an irredeemable bigot 25 years ago

Also uh someone made Windows 95 into a program you can run in Windows, Linux or MacOS, could be pretty cool for games I guess? https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-now-run-windows-95-inside-windows-or-linux-or-macos/

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Convex posted:

Also uh someone made Windows 95 into a program you can run in Windows, Linux or MacOS, could be pretty cool for games I guess? https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-now-run-windows-95-inside-windows-or-linux-or-macos/

Nice. I intend to test it as soon as possible. There's that notorious group of games from the late 90s that you just can't run on DOSBox (if you manage to install Win9x on it, a real pain in the rear end) neither on modern OSes, and possibly not even on VMWares of sorts.

EDIT: On a closer look it doesn't seem it's gonna support 3D accelerated games too well. Kinda slow and not sure if it really is like a proper VM.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 23, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So the sad truth of the matter is that Crysis is now old enough that I'm going to rules lawyer it into being an "early" FPS. Are there any cool gameplay mods for it, the type that add more weapons/vehicles/enemies?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mordja posted:

Now I can't remember whether the HL2 mod Dystopia had visual hit markers, but it definitely had really satisfying auditory ones, and was the first game I remember playing that did.

That mod loving ruled. Blade Symphony was also pretty good. I think the devs are putting out or just put out a new game?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Lemon-Lime posted:

I hold no such views and condone no such thing and defend no such view. Thank's for being an rear end in a top hat on the internet and putting words in my mouth in a videogame thread.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Improbable Lobster posted:

That mod loving ruled. Blade Symphony was also pretty good. I think the devs are putting out or just put out a new game?

Looking into it, Blade Symphony came out way back in 2014, but they're currently working on making it F2P.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I hold no such views and condone no such thing and defend no such view. Thank's for being an rear end in a top hat on the internet and putting words in my mouth in a videogame thread.

You're post made it pretty clear that you think that bigotry isn't that big of a deal. gently caress you.

e; I meam for gently caress' sake man you literally posted that you don't care whether or not someone is a bigot as long as they're making, selling or buying video games, that is absolutely condoning those beliefs. How goddamn stupid are you that you don't realize that.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 23, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I hold no such views and condone no such thing and defend no such view.

You literally made a post in which you went "I'm totally fine if someone wants all trans people to die, as long as they work hard."

e; it's amazing how so many people find it hard to understand that "I don't care" is an explicit political position.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

-Kurt Cobain, 2001

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You can argue with me on PMs. I'm not gonna discuss that here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You kinda already made your position clear

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
No, I didn't. In no way did I say that. I said I don't dedicate my time mining people's views on poilitical issues. Again, if people want to talk, they can DM me.

Leave this thread for old school FPS.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Uncle Kitchener posted:

No, I didn't. In no way did I say that. I said I don't dedicate my time mining people's views on poilitical issues. Again, if people want to talk, they can DM me.

Your opinion is:

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

Nice. I intend to test it as soon as possible. There's that notorious group of games from the late 90s that you just can't run on DOSBox (if you manage to install Win9x on it, a real pain in the rear end) neither on modern OSes, and possibly not even on VMWares of sorts.

EDIT: On a closer look it doesn't seem it's gonna support 3D accelerated games too well. Kinda slow and not sure if it really is like a proper VM.

I just downloaded this, and while it seems cool, I can't figure out how to import files into it. Like you said, maybe it doesn't operate like a virtual machine, and is more of just a novelty. I wanted to try and run some old Win3.1/95/98 stuff (not 3D accelerated stuff), but I don't know if it's possible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Convex posted:

This is a Javascript port of BOCHS, a longstanding x86 PC VM, attached to a hard disk image of a pre installed copy of Windows 95. And they seem to have disabled/hid some VM controls BOCHS normally has.

People will have a better time grabbing the disk image out of the install and putting it in the normal native code virtual machines, and it'll especially suffer for games with complicated CPU rendering.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Agreed.

Let's all get along and post about what we all love and what we do have in common.

edit: Bleh.

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 24, 2018

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I like shooting monsters with cool guns

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Same. Is there anything more satisfying than killing an Arachnotron with a SSG? I think that's probably the best monster + gun combo in FPS history

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Douk Douk posted:

Same. Is there anything more satisfying than killing an Arachnotron with a SSG? I think that's probably the best monster + gun combo in FPS history

Slo-mo shotgunning goons in FEAR into nearby scenery is definitely up there

gently caress it, gonna reinstall this weekend :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Douk Douk posted:

The dynamite in Blood vs any large group of enemies.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Monolith have always nailed shotguns. They just get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDKYN6iOdYc

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Douk Douk posted:

Same. Is there anything more satisfying than killing any monster, at all, ever, with a SSG? I think that's probably the best monster + gun combo in FPS history

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Douk Douk posted:

Just quit loving clogging up this thread with your nonsense.

- guy who wrote a five paragraph long parting shot

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You know what, ordinarily I'd drop this here like I have the last X times we've had this circular argument but after that post, gently caress that.

You know what the best thing to do here, if you don't want to turn these things into a multi-page back and forth between the people going "okay but people literally die over this" and the people going "STOP MAKING EVERYTHING ABOUT POLITICS THESE ARE JUST VIDEO GAMES"? It's not posting a 500 word screed about how you're a REAL progressive and anyone who sees a problem with Desi being a transphobe or whatever is some idiot nerd who doesn't understand real life and needs to unplug their computer.

The best thing to do if you don't want these things to turn into a multi-page argument is to just not post about it. Or maybe, even, if you're a kind and considerate person with a shred of empathy in you, you can look at the people in this thread who are actual victims of the lovely bigoted opinions that are being talked about and go "yeah, that sucks :(" and then move on with your continued posting about the video games that you like.

Here's the problem with your deeply, shittily selfish attitude: bigotry like Desi's (or whoever else we're talking about next time the same thing happens, like it has the last however many times) gets actual, real people murdered. This isn't something people have made up so they can play at being outraged on the Internet, it's an actual fact. Trans people (and other gender-non-conforming people) do, in fact, get killed or commit suicide because some people go around questioning whether or not they deserve to exist.

You and the other people here who freak the gently caress out every time this conversation happens are allowed to like Postal 1 or whatever other game you want to like that has a lovely author. No one is trying to take these games away from you just because Desi is a transphobe or some other washed-out 90s designer who hasn't made a game in 20 years goes around vocally advocating for Trump's immigration policy. When people post to say "unfortunately, Desi is a transphobe," they're not trying to tell you that liking Postal 1 is now verboten and anyone who does should be thrown in jail for life. What they are doing is explaining to you how the bigotry of someone who is a creative voice in this video game we are talking about colours their opinion of that video game.

I get that you want to just switch your brain off and uncritically enjoy things you enjoyed as a child without people pointing out that unfortunately, the people involved in those things exist in reality and some of them have real lovely opinions. These games probably remind you of when you were a kid, when things were a lot simpler because you didn't know anything about anything, and it's nice to pretend like you're still an innocent little kid playing on dad's computer instead of an adult who lives in the real world, because the real world is relentlessly full of lovely things.

The problem is that we're not here weighing your mild inconvenience at being reminded real life exists against someone else's mild inconvenience. We're here weighing your selfish desire to uncritically consume media against the fact that a bunch of actual, real human beings get murdered on a regular basis because people think LGBT people or people of colour or women have less intrinsic worth than straight white dudes.

If you, personally, want to consume media without letting the opinions of its authors bother you, whatever, that's fine. What you should probably stop doing, though, is telling people to shut up about how bigotry is bad, because it's a pretty crappy thing to say!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

I just downloaded this, and while it seems cool, I can't figure out how to import files into it. Like you said, maybe it doesn't operate like a virtual machine, and is more of just a novelty. I wanted to try and run some old Win3.1/95/98 stuff (not 3D accelerated stuff), but I don't know if it's possible.

At least for Windows 3.x you can run stuff just fine with DOSBox.
There's even a build with the thing pre-installed here.

Now, you can install Windows 9x on DOSBox as well, but only in a very specific way, with lots of copying installation files around and whatever. Not worth it. Your best bet is VMWare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Smdh if this sound isn't drilled into your brain.