Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I just got an email about going active for two years as a recruiter. Considering how awesome my time in the reserves has been so far I’m considering it so I can be bitter like some of you guys.

I just really want to fit in.

Don't do recruiting, you seemed to have had a charmed life so far and I think that would be karma backlash if you did a CANREC recall.

vulturesrow posted:

Well just add that to the long list of environmental hazards I've been exposed to during my time in.

How's retirement and getting back into the Real World treating you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lots of civilian parts of NC are apparently super contaminated too, the South is like the low-key midwest.

I love this thread as a merchant marine man because I can see how the other people live, that is to say, there is no good way to go to sea except on your own private yacht

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I’m active duty and I think I speak for everyone when I say nobody really gives a gently caress if you think anyone hasn’t been in long enough to just talk and bitch about it sometimes.

No one has said anything about someone not being in long enough to bitch. I half jokingly posted that the same people who tell others how stupid they are for sticking around the military are still hanging around talking about the military long after they supposedly moved onto better things.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nick Soapdish posted:

How's retirement and getting back into the Real World treating you?

It's alright. I got a good job so I can't complain on that front. But civilian Life to be honest is a little dull to me but being home with my family more is definitely a huge quality of life upgrade. So all in all, a bit of a mixed bag if I'm being honest.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

No one has said anything about someone not being in long enough to bitch. I half jokingly posted that the same people who tell others how stupid they are for sticking around the military are still hanging around talking about the military long after they supposedly moved onto better things.

Welcome to every veteran's group since antiquity.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone got any experience with blue to green? Navy sucks Army seems a lil better.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Anita Dickinme posted:

Anyone got any experience with blue to green? Navy sucks Army seems a lil better.

It's not, trust me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Should I tell them or do one of you want to take a crack at it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

Man your name will be accurate as gently caress if you go to army. Please think about what you are doing. If Navy sucks just get out because the only thing easier than Navy is Air Force and they don't take sloppy seconds.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Anita Dickinme posted:

This is maybe the worst idea I've seen written in the Navy thread and we've had some real bad ones.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Unless you're within six months until EAOS it is a non-starter, I've been trying and failing to get released the last 18 months. Per instruction you aee ineligible for any enlistment bonuses green side, so that's a consideration maybe.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Anita Dickinme posted:

You should give up all of your rank and join the Marine Corps. You can go to Parris Island as an E-2 and show your drill instructors your sea service deployment ribbon and the three NAMs you got for restocking the vending machines.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

Unless you're within six months until EAOS it is a non-starter, I've been trying and failing to get released the last 18 months. Per instruction you aee ineligible for any enlistment bonuses green side, so that's a consideration maybe.

Friend brought it up today and since we’re in the yards and our rate is overmanned she said there’s a chance. Our reenlistment bonus right now is $300 anyway which is a few zeros off from convincing me to do more years in the Navy. I got two years left and the ship will be in the yards past my EAOS.

vulturesrow posted:

This is maybe the worst idea I've seen written in the Navy thread and we've had some real bad ones.

I don’t see that being true as long as people come into this thread asking us what it’s like to be a nuke and still join as a nuke.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Navy stupid has NOTHING on Army stupid. You have two years left, unless you want to do 20 why would you re-up for another service and a minimum of 4 years and likely a new MOS? Talk to your CCC but overmanning likely doesn't mean poo poo, my rate/YG/grade are over 100% and they won't entertain cutting me loose, if you can more power.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of doing 20 years and retiring but there’s literally nothing about the Navy I like. It’s just something I’m exploring which is why I’m asking about it. Maybe if we had a pub on our aircraft carriers I wouldn’t mind it so much.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ask for a tour in the Royal Navy.

Or did they stop too?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anita Dickinme posted:

I like the idea of doing 20 years and retiring but there’s literally nothing about the Navy I like. It’s just something I’m exploring which is why I’m asking about it. Maybe if we had a pub on our aircraft carriers I wouldn’t mind it so much.

What don't you like about the Navy that you think would be better in the ARMY?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

Ask for a tour in the Royal Navy.

Or did they stop too?

The rum ration ended a long time ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tot_Day

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

FYI if you get a commission in another branch you’re almost certainly good to go last time I checked conditional release instructions.

And you’re eligible to blue to green if you don’t have any obliserv, critical nec/rate/year group and your command is okay with it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Goodpancakes posted:

What don't you like about the Navy that you think would be better in the ARMY?

Mostly just not being stuck on a boat in the ocean mostly.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-d...ce=facebook.com

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Mostly just not being stuck on a boat in the ocean mostly.

I would rather be stuck on a raft than at most army bases.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

FYI if you get a commission in another branch you’re almost certainly good to go last time I checked conditional release instructions.

And you’re eligible to blue to green if you don’t have any obliserv, critical nec/rate/year group and your command is okay with it.

Those conditional release requests go through Millington and they are not ok with it for any reason currently, the December instruction outlined the hard stop on all releases. Maybe if your Mom, sister and child are all dying at the same time, but just to transfer service it won't happen. Because we need a bigly Navy I guess.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

Those conditional release requests go through Millington and they are not ok with it for any reason currently, the December instruction outlined the hard stop on all releases. Maybe if your Mom, sister and child are all dying at the same time, but just to transfer service it won't happen. Because we need a bigly Navy I guess.

Well gently caress. It’s a race to the bottom of the morale bucket as we supposedly expand the Navy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The no more PFA failure seps policy was released like a day later, for extra moto. We covered some good ground as a force.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Well gently caress. It’s a race to the bottom of the morale bucket as we supposedly expand the Navy.

Also from the reserve side, anyone with a pulse who is a junior (and have seen even some Chiefs for certain rates) Sailor can put in an RC->AC package and we approved in an effort to plus up the end-strength.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

Also from the reserve side, anyone with a pulse who is a junior (and have seen even some Chiefs for certain rates) Sailor can put in an RC->AC package and we approved in an effort to plus up the end-strength.

Oooh I forget about that.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

I would rather be stuck on a raft than at most army bases.

I can't speak about army bases but as a marine who spent three years on an amphib, I can tell you that US Navy quality of life is better in almost every way than USMC. The only areas where the average usmc junior enlisted warrior is better off is in their work load while on ship. That comes at the cost of almost everything they do being more dangerous and having higher injury and mortality rates than their navy counterparts.

I've been with nine different units in my career and my time on ship was one of the best times I've had in the military.That includes the months spent turning squares off the coast of Okinawa.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Not gonna lie if you're going to be stupid enough to enlist, Airforce and Navy are your real options if you want to do 4-6 and get out and get that GI bill on. Army and USMC are hilariously more dangerous, and absolutely suck, for no additional benefits and the same pay.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

Getting out is a better option IMO, but I don't know what your rate is or what your career prospects look like so I dunno.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Anita Dickinme posted:

Friend brought it up today and since we’re in the yards and our rate is overmanned she said there’s a chance. Our reenlistment bonus right now is $300 anyway which is a few zeros off from convincing me to do more years in the Navy. I got two years left and the ship will be in the yards past my EAOS.

I don’t see that being true as long as people come into this thread asking us what it’s like to be a nuke and still join as a nuke.

There are reasons why becoming a nuke may seem attractive to the ignorant. There is literally no reason you can offer that would convince me that the best solution for you is to go the Army.

When I was in Fort Hood going through IA training I got to talking to a soldier who did what you are talking about doing. His exact words to me were "this was the worst decision I ever made."

You're an ABE right? Don't like your rate? Cross rate. If you can't, get out, preferably at least toughing it out a bit longer for full GI Bill benefits. You said you mostly don't like being on a boat, join the Air Force or go Reserves.

You think the Navy runs on the sweat and tears of junior enlisted? They can't hold a candle to the Army in that regard. I was in a unit for 9 months that was direct support Multi-National Corps in Iraq, so all Army. I've seen it in action. It's not pretty. I made mention of the fact earlier in this thread that I don't like the user of the word retard. The Army is full retard.

I have a soft spot for the AB rate because of all the safe cats and traps in my career so I'm not saying all this to be a jerk. This is a really bad idea and I'd hate to see you make that mistake. If you hate life in the Navy that much, then GTFO or go Air Force.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I have an interesting situation and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on what the next step for me should be.

I'm an E4 on shore duty and recently my chief passed that all E4s have to put in BAH requests and they will be approved. I did and my entire chain all the way to CO approved with no issue.

So heres the issue my command is spread out throughout the area I live in with around 5 different bases with our presence, I stupidly decided I would live on a marine corps base because it was most convenient for me. So when I took my package to the base to get the signature allowing me to check out I was told I cannot because manning of the barracks is not at a certain level. So despite permission from my command and their full support I have been repeatedly told they cannot sign because I live on base so I fall under the tenant commands instruction which is E6 and above can move out. I am not attached to this base I am attached to my command and my UIC reflects that. My command from my LPO to my chief to my SEL don't seem to know what to do. They keep pushing the issue on my behalf but with no resolution.

Is it true that just because I live on a base I fall under a different branches instructions despite not belonging to them in any way? Besides marrying a stripper for BAH what would be the best course of action?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Virginia Slams posted:

Is it true that just because I live on a base I fall under a different branches instructions despite not belonging to them in any way? Besides marrying a stripper for BAH what would be the best course of action?

lol oh man sorry to hear but this is too funny. Sounds about right. I’ve heard of poo poo like this being overturned eventually though. I went from having BAH to getting it stripped and sharing a loving room as an E-4. If the Corps has the final day then yeah you’re hosed, but if you’re not attached to them in any way then that does seem odd.

Why do the JE keep getting married!?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, after my IA tour, I know the grass isn't greener on that side. Like we thought we do dumb poo poo in home port . Holy hell.

Like, as much as the chit stuff pissed me off, I actually looked inward and am pushing forward while improving myself. I love my job and what I do, it's just the absolutely toxic leadership here.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo.

The username is accurate, right?

I seem to remember when they last came into the thread saying "Hey I'm going to enlist, please let me know if it sucks or not" and like 10 people said "Don't do it you gently caress!" and they came back a day or 2 later with the fact that they had gone to MEPS, done the ASVAB, and decided to be an ABE.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Virginia Slams posted:

I have an interesting situation and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on what the next step for me should be.

I'm an E4 on shore duty and recently my chief passed that all E4s have to put in BAH requests and they will be approved. I did and my entire chain all the way to CO approved with no issue.

So heres the issue my command is spread out throughout the area I live in with around 5 different bases with our presence, I stupidly decided I would live on a marine corps base because it was most convenient for me. So when I took my package to the base to get the signature allowing me to check out I was told I cannot because manning of the barracks is not at a certain level. So despite permission from my command and their full support I have been repeatedly told they cannot sign because I live on base so I fall under the tenant commands instruction which is E6 and above can move out. I am not attached to this base I am attached to my command and my UIC reflects that. My command from my LPO to my chief to my SEL don't seem to know what to do. They keep pushing the issue on my behalf but with no resolution.

I had this issue before with some of my junior enlisted. We were a very small unit (about 12 enlisted) and belonged directly to the Commanding General of MCRD. The junior enlisted lived in Marine barracks. We had a really loving awful issue with their inspections. We were required to do our own inspections of our own people which we always passed them because none of them lived like pigs, but that was not good enough for the Marines. They always did a secondary inspection and it was absurd. Like the concrete outside the room out in the open had to be mopped. If a cigarette butt was found in the parking lot everyone got a hit for it. To our small group, that was stupid and I personally hated having my people treated like that.

I sat down with my OIC and we talked about what we could do. We decided it was best for everyone left in the barracks that wasn't married that they should have BAH and get out of there. The stress of inspections and having to re-stand them every Saturday was annoying us all because he was constantly getting e-mails on how filthy our sailors were, but when we went over we found nothing wrong. And I would have to be there on Saturdays sometimes to monitor a re-inspection. So we had them route chits for BAH and they were approved at his level.

The barracks did the same thing they are doing to you. Saying that they cannot leave. What we found out is that the barracks receives the funds for BAH for each person they trap there. Which is why at a later point in time when PSD Point Loma was doing a BAH verification, I got caught in the barracks web. They told me I had to put everything in storage on my own dime and move into the barracks because I was single (divorced) and not an E-7. Long story short, PSD got pissed off and sent me to a Navy barracks to have it signed so I didn't have to move back in.

So we sat down again. This time we had TAD orders typed up for everyone still living there. We "sent" them TAD to 29 Palms for 179 days. The barracks were handed the orders and they had to have known that this was bullshit, but there was literally nothing they could say. The orders were signed by the OIC, and they knew enough about the Navy to know Captain didn't mean O3.

179 days because they couldn't argue with the fact that it was a short amount of time and their room could be held for them.
29 Palms because it was the closest base that wasn't within a reasonable driving distance so they couldn't say you can commute (for example it would be reasonable to say you can commute from Camp Pendleton to MCRD).

They moved out Friday after work so they could "report" on Monday. And from that day on, new check-ins did not check in to MCRD barracks. The OIC would sign their check-in sheets for the barracks section. No one ever called to complain.

Edit: To clarify, this doesn't need to really go that high up, but we didn't have a Chief. Or a 1st Class. It was a handful of E-5s with some sprinkles of E-3 + below, maybe one or two E-4s. So things got handled pretty high up on a regular basis. I'm not sure who can really write TAD orders, but if you can get someone on board with it that has the authority to "write" and then "cancel" them, it's a pretty good way out. And yes, he actually also wrote cancellation letters, just in case anyone came asking for them. They didn't.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 24, 2018

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
We had that problem with the Mayport barracks too for one of my junior sailors. Shifting the entire command and getting the skipper involved was the only way to get her BAH restarted

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Virginia Slams posted:

The solution to this and all similar problems is to just continue to escalate up the CoC on both sides.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It seems to me that Marines should never piss off Navy personnel. Word gets around, and the next time your rear end goes out to sea there may be a grudge coming on tour with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

The username is accurate, right?

I seem to remember when they last came into the thread saying "Hey I'm going to enlist, please let me know if it sucks or not" and like 10 people said "Don't do it you gently caress!" and they came back a day or 2 later with the fact that they had gone to MEPS, done the ASVAB, and decided to be an ABE.

I was going to enlist, I wasn’t going to not enlist because some dweebs on the internet said not to. I just wanted to know what it was like going in. I’m not upset I enlisted either because of the benefits it’ll have on my life. But this situation I was just asking if anyone had any experience with it or the Army. I’m not telling y’all I’m doing it I’m just asking about it but you guys want to act like good ol’ Navy leadership and jump down my throat and give me poo poo for asking a question. :bravo:

Thanks maffew and vulture for giving me some actual advice and talking about it instead of acting like the toxic leadership we speak about everyday here.