Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Hamburgers were technically invented in Hamburg, but the colloquial version of a hamburger was 100% an American invention.

Same goes for pizza, sure it was technically invented in Italy, but the good stuff is 100% American.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've never thought of a burger as "sexy" until now

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never thought of a burger as "sexy" until now

New meaning to "juicy buns" which is a thing I say to my wife all the time and she hates it.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

RareAcumen posted:

Sure, as long as they're grilled with charcoal. And I'm not insulting hamburgers I'm just curious about what's actually American food and not because all ever I had to go off was 'American as Apple pie'

American as apple pie...with cheese

Apple pie is just a type of cheeseburger

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Whooping Crabs posted:

American as apple pie...with cheese

Apple pie is just a type of cheeseburger

This is clearly a pizza

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

This is clearly a sandwich

Fify

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pfft

You think everything is a sandwich

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

pfft

You think everything is a sandwich

Not true. You, for instance, are a big ol wet noodle.

which is technically a sandwich too so touche

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Pastry of the Year posted:

Good food and good friends.

They are really taking the new season of Keepin' up with the Kardashians in a new direction

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sneakyfrog posted:

midwestern thing

No it's a Minnesota thing. I am from the midwest and had never heard of or seen pictures of such a thing until the internet informed me.

The things people outside the midwest think of the midwest are even more ignorant than what people abroad think of the US if you really want to get me all mad on the internet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Grand Fromage posted:

No it's a Minnesota thing. I am from the midwest and had never heard of or seen pictures of such a thing until the internet informed me.

The things people outside the midwest think of the midwest are even more ignorant than what people abroad think of the US if you really want to get me all mad on the internet.

oh. im from MN so that explains that. i figured it was more a regional thing than a specific state thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nah you have to be named Mrs. Gundersen to make hotdish. We don't have Scandinavians down here.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grand Fromage posted:

Having lived both inside and outside of the midwest, the midwest deserves it's reputation.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh poo poo i can make hotdish

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

I'll bet you can, Mrs. Gundersen

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I'll bet you can, Mrs. Gundersen

don't sass me son or you wont get any of my cheap ingredient casserole

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All I know is tater tots are loving amazing

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The most American food of all is appropriation. :allears:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KataraniSword posted:

I've never heard of that one, is it a sandwich or a pizza?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yes

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Hey, we're just as good at it over in the UK!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-45246009

Hmm, maybe 'good' isn't the right word...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never heard of that one, is it a sandwich or a pizza?

Well, seeing as we trap people between prison and poverty, I would say sandwich, but I may just be biased

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
When I think of American food I think of fried chicken and anything that would be served with it. So mostly southern/midwestern stuff. Obviously since we're one of the "newest" countries almost all of it can technically be traced to a different country of origin, but y'know.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

When I think of American food I think of fried chicken and anything that would be served with it. So mostly southern/midwestern stuff. Obviously since we're one of the "newest" countries almost all of it can technically be traced to a different country of origin, but y'know.

I think the cuisines that are the most pure American (not just European, Mexican, or Asian transplanted cuisine) would probably be traditional Southern food, the better New England cuisine like lobster rolls and chowder, and Midwest stuff like pork tenderloin sandwiches and casseroles. Plus the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, which is emulating colonial food made with native ingredients.

Those are the only types of food in America I can think of that don't really have an analogue in other countries, and places like California are almost entirely eating food from other regions of the US or other countries because the only native cuisines they had were Native American and pioneer food.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

sneakyfrog posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone can throw a bunch of random poo poo into a casserole dish and douse it with canned cream of mushroom soup and serve it with a side of jello with marshmallows in it and call it a salad.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Mushika posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone can throw a bunch of random poo poo into a casserole dish and douse it with canned cream of mushroom soup and serve it with a side of jello with marshmallows in it and call it a salad.

i aint no fancy pants chef guy like some folks in here but i can make ok food. and gently caress if i would use jello or marshmellows for drat near anything but as trash can filling

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the cuisines that are the most pure American (not just European, Mexican, or Asian transplanted cuisine) would probably be traditional Southern food, the better New England cuisine like lobster rolls and chowder, and Midwest stuff like pork tenderloin sandwiches and casseroles. Plus the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, which is emulating colonial food made with native ingredients.

Those are the only types of food in America I can think of that don't really have an analogue in other countries, and places like California are almost entirely eating food from other regions of the US or other countries because the only native cuisines they had were Native American and pioneer food.

its african and scots-irish transplanted cuisine, the south
only they dont talk about it that way for obvious reasons

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What about steaks?

I know A steak is obviously not a new idea, but somehow I'm thinking that the Western/"steakhouse" style of presentation — no sauce, a couple of small sides, careful selection of cut, focus on the size and the quality and the cook — is a thing that America has pushed as much as anyone, or at least has become associated with America as a homegrown cuisine kind of thing. Am I wrong?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Data Graham posted:

What about steaks?

I know A steak is obviously not a new idea, but somehow I'm thinking that the Western/"steakhouse" style of presentation — no sauce, a couple of small sides, careful selection of cut, focus on the size and the quality and the cook — is a thing that America has pushed as much as anyone, or at least has become associated with America as a homegrown cuisine kind of thing. Am I wrong?

Maybe the giant "cowboy" style ones but I think steak in general is more of a french thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but when I think of French steaks I think of sauces and garnishes and stuff. That's what I'm getting at, it's a different style of thing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

In my mind, American food is aspic and jello horrors. Also "salads" that's effectively just cold carb and mayo stew.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Picnic Princess posted:

In my mind, American food is aspic and jello horrors. Also "salads" that's effectively just cold carb and mayo stew.

A can of soup poured into a different can of soup.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

Does that mean in your mind Canadian food is canned fish and hunted moose with snow as a garnish?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Same goes for pizza, sure it was technically invented in Italy, but the good stuff is 100% American.

This is a distressingly bad opinion. Have you ever been to Italy?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bike tory posted:

Oooh, look at me, going to other countries. La dee dah, I live close to Italy.

Serious tho, I think I see the point he was making in that American pizza is WAY fuckin different than Italian. Not saying it's better, because it isn't, but it's also not bad necessarily.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Oooh, look at me, going to other countries. La dee dah, I live close to Italy.

now i have a mental picture of you doing this to every patron who comes through your place

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What about deli sandwiches like rueben, Rachel... Etc. That's pretty American. Also pretty much anything deep fried or things containing a poo poo load of corn.

Scrapple... pretzels

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
However, when you think of "the best pizza place" in an American context, you still typically expect it to be run by Italian-Americans. As American as it is, it's not totally divorced from the idea of "ethnic food".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bike tory posted:

lol. the GBS bad pizza thread is packed to bursting with hideous Italian pizzas.