Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought the scar was like a vertical slash that ran all the way from right above the eye town his cheek and then across his nose. So when I saw the partially healed scar in TLJ I just assumed it was being gradually healed by bacta-tech or whatever and the part we see in TLJ is just the last portion still left that hasn't quite healed yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Behold the face of god

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kylo Ren's scar abides by the same rules as Richard Lewis' mole in Robin Hood Men in Tights

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PostNouveau posted:

You joke, but give them enough time and they'll run out of EU ideas and have to go "well, what if we did a book about what happens between TFA and TLJ" even though it's like a week tops, and this will be part of it.

There’s a comic that takes place after TLJ but has flashbacks to other parts that weren’t explained nor needed to be, like how Poe survived.

https://www.slashfilm.com/after-star-wars-the-last-jedi/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

I thought the scar was like a vertical slash that ran all the way from right above the eye town his cheek and then across his nose. So when I saw the partially healed scar in TLJ I just assumed it was being gradually healed by bacta-tech or whatever and the part we see in TLJ is just the last portion still left that hasn't quite healed yet.

Rian Johnson said he decided to move the scar just because he thought it would look better.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

No Mods No Masters posted:

The correct course of action is for the story group to commission an additional story explaining Kylo Ren's trip to the plastic surgeon. Though they haven't commissioned such a story yet, we have to assume they will and act as if they already have

The most important question to be answered for my purposes, speaking as a faithful hafiz who has committed to memory all the most important details contained in the Journal of the Whills as revealed by the prophet Hidalgo and his companions, is what the New Republic renamed the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center (EmPalSuRecon). I speak, of course, of the facility formerly known as the Chancellor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center (ChanPalSuRecon).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Rian Johnson said he decided to move the scar just because he thought it would look better.

B-b-b-but the Story Group tells directors what to do!!! :qq:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bigger Luke, meet Other Ren

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

B-b-b-but the Story Group tells directors what to do!!! :qq:

This is like I was saying, the nanosecond a director wants to do something different than what the Story Group says, the canon will change. So what good is the Story Group then?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It takes a real lemming to take a company on its word that the canon will be consistent and immutable henceforth, moments after they threw out all the old canon because it was convenient to do so

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bonaventure posted:

the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center

Holy gently caress. That must be where Kylo went!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PostNouveau posted:

This is like I was saying, the nanosecond a director wants to do something different than what the Story Group says, the canon will change. So what good is the Story Group then?

It’s good for those trash books.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

I think it depends on what the proposed change is and who the director is. The placement of a scar? Sure, I doubt that was much of a fight(although I bet he had to sit in at least one unnecessary meeting about it). But if Rian Johnson had come and said he wanted to like, open the movie at Lando's funeral or something, I think there would've been a lot more pushback on that one.

And it's probably why we won't ever see Star Wars directed by Spielberg or Cameron or Ridley Scott or any of the old school guys who have the clout to overrule Kennedy. They purposely aren't going to hire those guys because they want to avoid that situation where they're forced to either swallow an idea they don't want to accept or fire a legend like Spielberg or Cameron, which would be a much larger controversy than firing an unknown guy like Trevvorow.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

PostNouveau posted:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think it depends on what the proposed change is and who the director is. The placement of a scar? Sure, I doubt that was much of a fight(although I bet he had to sit in at least one unnecessary meeting about it). But if Rian Johnson had come and said he wanted to like, open the movie at Lando's funeral or something, I think there would've been a lot more pushback on that one.

And it's probably why we won't ever see Star Wars directed by Spielberg or Cameron or Ridley Scott or any of the old school guys who have the clout to overrule Kennedy. They purposely aren't going to hire those guys because they want to avoid that situation where they're forced to either swallow an idea they don't want to accept or fire a legend like Spielberg or Cameron, which would be a much larger controversy than firing an unknown guy like Trevvorow.

I dunno they let him kill Luke and Akbar, Lando's probably somewhere in the middle.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Kylo Ren's scar abides by the same rules as Richard Lewis' mole in Robin Hood Men in Tights

Or Igor's hump in Young Frankenstein.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

It takes a real lemming to take a company on its word that the canon will be consistent and immutable henceforth, moments after they threw out all the old canon because it was convenient to do so

it still kinda cracks me up that the first thing they did after ditching the old eu which got mocked for having increasingly bigger and more ridiculous superweapons was to introduce a big and ridiculous superweapon

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno they let him kill Luke and Akbar, Lando's probably somewhere in the middle.

We have no reason to assume they didn't like Johnson's idea for Luke in TLJ(Hamill has said he wasn't in love with it but that's just Hamill). The reason I bring up killing Lando is because they obviously had plans for him with Glover being so popular and then the announcement that Williams would appear in Episode IX. They wouldn't go along with an idea that would cut off the story potential of a beloved character from OT that hadn't been properly utilized in the sequels yet.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The only explanation for Kylo’s scar being in a different place is that the would he received in TFA healed completely but he received a diffuser that, but similar, wound, prior to TLJ.

He received this in a battle with Chewbacca, who is now dead. The Chewbacca we see in TLJ is a different Wookiee, coincidentally also named Chewbacca. A third and still different Chewbacca was crushed by a moon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still think they'll figure out some way to have Chewie get crushed by a moon eventually. Why not?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Something like a trillion people died in that star war. Lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

cuntman.net posted:

it still kinda cracks me up that the first thing they did after ditching the old eu which got mocked for having increasingly bigger and more ridiculous superweapons was to introduce a big and ridiculous superweapon

It's been interesting watching them repeat every mistake of the old canon all over again. Solo especially is full of this. They were willing to buy star wars for billions of dollars but at the prospect of anyone important reading legends wookieepedia articles or theforce.net to understand past mistakes they noped out, and that might be the single funniest thing about the whole shitshow

The one mistake they haven't repeated, over-reliance on OT characters, they managed to gently caress up in a different way. All around :bravo:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The Story Group seems to serve the purpose of the rainbow at the end of the Deluge. A covenant to assure the fans that never again will Disney wipe their beloved canon from existence and they are safe to buy all the new books and start learning all the new trivia, because this time it's real! All of it! Not just G, T or C-level real.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What if Pablo Hidalgo of the Story Group was running a Star Wars tabletop RPG game.

Amusingly enough, there were a few episodes of Rebels that were inspired by old Star Wars RPGs that I think it was Dave Filoni played

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most Star Wars media is basically aimed at children; the novels tend to be YA at most. I wonder what children and teenagers think about canon. :v:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vinylshadow posted:

Amusingly enough, there were a few episodes of Rebels that were inspired by old Star Wars RPGs that I think it was Dave Filoni played

Rebels and Rogue One initially got my hopes up that they had learned from history and would integrate the good parts of the EU while leaving behind the bad ones and make the original stuff not get out of hand. Then of course they dash my hopes with everything else. I should have known better after TFA literally had a super weapon that was the Galaxy Gun, Suncrusher, and Star Forge combined.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

What has the Storygruppe actually done? Jivjov clearly believes they’re a hyper vigilant academie francaise of sorts that can independently commision works and has veto power over every level of the creative processes behind any Star Wars branded work, but there seems to be very little documentary evidence supporting this viea. With all the production details that have been posted, it seems odd that jivjov’s evidence for their power seems to amount to a pinky swear from Disney to never ever produce contradictory materials again.

To put it bluntly, is there even any evidence the story group exists, outside of like a listserv a bunch of copyeditors got added to and promptly ignored? Does it have personnel, outside of Pablo Hidalgo, whose actual job seems to be entirely community management? Does it have a budget? Meetings?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What’s really interesting to me is that Jivjov isn’t even familiar with how the canon works.

“There's no story past Episode 6. There's just no story. [Star Wars] is a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and, once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker [past Episode 6], I mean apart from the books. But there are three worlds: there's my world that I made up, there's the licensing world (that's the books, the comics, the games - all that kind of stuff) which is their world, and then there's the fans' world (which is also very rich in imagination).”
-George Lucas

Star Wars has always been a triad of the Lucas films, licensed media, and fanfiction.

Although fans might remember a stupid five-level ‘GTSCN’ system of canonicity, those are all merely subcategories of licensed media. Canon and Non-Canon alike are both equally subordinate to the actual story in the films.

When, under Disney ownership, all things were declared “equally canon” what that actually meant is that all things became licensed media. Even Episode 7 and 8 are licensed media: “their world”. This is the ‘world’ in which ‘Jov is trapped.

Since analyses like mine are based purely on the text of the films, they are actually the highest level of media, beyond canon. I rival or surpass George Lucas.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Pictured here, the Story Group officially partitions the field of Star Wars into post and pre-Legends canonicity.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Jivjov, my dude, you really need to give your thoughts on Dameron's Fart. There are two sources for the wedding -- one, where the X-Wing pilots all stand around farting, and another, published later, where they do not. Both sources depict the same event. Which one is canon?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Jivjov, my dude, you really need to give your thoughts on Dameron's Fart. There are two sources for the wedding -- one, where the X-Wing pilots all stand around farting, and another, published later, where they do not. Both sources depict the same event. Which one is canon?

Both are canon. One just neglects to mention the flatulence

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If Poe farts at a wedding and a canonical source fails to describe it, does it make a sound?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jivjov posted:

Impossible. Consider the scale, intensity and intricately described onomatopoeia of the first source when compared to the entire lack of it in the second.

It's pretty clearly a case of someone realizing what they'd let wander into 'it's all true, all of it' canon and frantically finding a way to undo it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When everything is canon, nothing is canon - wise proverb

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

With this same rationalization, we can say that they simply neglected to mention that Tatooine became Jakku.

But that’s unnecessary, since it’s already been proven that Tatooine is Jakku.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's probably canon

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

jivjov posted:

This logic and vocabulary of “canon” is so massively biblical I can’t help but laugh. Like this actual argument came up at Nicaea; it’s uncanny

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waffles Inc. posted:

This logic and vocabulary of “canon” is so massively biblical I can’t help but laugh

"Logic," hahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffles Inc. posted:

This logic and vocabulary of “canon” is so massively biblical I can’t help but laugh. Like this actual argument came up at Nicaea; it’s uncanny

It's Nicaea but instead of discussing whether or not Christ said it was okay to rape women it's whether or not Poe went on a farting spree at a wedding.