Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

neogeo0823 posted:

Crap, i forgot about flour in the roux. Actually, the guidelines for the diet say i can have limited amounts of coconut flour. I wonder how that would even work in that situation?

I tried it before, it scorches super fast and doesn't thicken well. Honestly just not worth it.

Maybe more soul food like pork roast and collard greens etc? Could do stewed okra and tomatoes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Crap, i forgot about flour in the roux. Actually, the guidelines for the diet say i can have limited amounts of coconut flour. I wonder how that would even work in that situation?

If you're tracking your macros, the flour used in the roux usually comes out to about single digit carbs per serving vs the "THIS RECIPE HAS A CUP OF FLOUR!"
Use Whole wheat if you wanna offset *some* of the carbs.
I did the math when i was making gravy for other people and realised a spoon of gravy over my eggs would be perfectly acceptable.

Edit: 2 cups of whole wheat flour split into a whole pot (Using the first page gumbo recipe, assuming the pot makes ~16 servings (if not more) gets you down to about 9 net carbs (from the flour only). If this is your carb intake for the day, you've still got some wiggle room to stay under the net 25.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 13, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Trying to force autumn to show up. Seafood gumbo (shrimp, lump crab).

This looks good as gently caress and I wish I could make it at home, but my mom hates crab.

I mean, I can still make it, I just have to make a separate batch for her with no crab in it.

What recipe did you use?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This looks good as gently caress and I wish I could make it at home, but my mom hates crab.

I mean, I can still make it, I just have to make a separate batch for her with no crab in it.

What recipe did you use?

I just made it. I don't really use a particular recipe, but here's what I did last night.

2 celery ribs, chopped then run through the food processor until very finely diced (NOT pureed)
1 green bell pepper, same
1 large onion, same
8 cloves garlic, finely diced (I put those though a smaller processor because I'm lazy)
Chopped okra, frozen is fine
5-6 gumbo crabs
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
about 1/2 lb lump blue crab meat
about 1/4 lb tasso
a couple very fat green onions from my garden (about as thick as the diameter of a nickel), white parts mixed with the onions and green tops thinly sliced
2 quarts homemade lobster stock and 1 quart shrimp stock
Seasonings as below

Roux - 1 cup flour in 1 cup oil over high heat, stirring with a whisk constantly for about 15 minutes, then gradually lowering the heat every 5 minutes until it looked like this, about 20-25 minutes total (picture is from immediately after adding the onions)

Add the onions, and cook another 5-10 minutes at medium/low heat, stirring frequently. Add the celery, garlic, and pepper and cook for a while longer. I then added the stock which I had heated up.

Now, a couple roux tips. 1:1 flour to oil ratio will get you a thinner roux that will always be a thick liquid until you add the vegetables. If you go with more flour, you will get a roux that is more solid, kind of like wet sand.

Also, when you get your roux as dark as this it's going to want to break and separate when you add the stock. It looks like tiny little globs of roux floating in the stock. Don't worry--this doesn't mean it's ruined, but it's important to whisk it together gently, one ladleful at a time, so that it can come together.

A caveat, though--if you have burned the roux, then it will separate in a similar fashion, it'll never come together properly, and your gumbo will taste bitter. But if you've brought it to the color of chocolate, and not coffee grounds, you should be okay. If you are at all in doubt, START OVER. Oil and flour are cheap and plentiful. Crabmeat and shrimp are not.

Once the stock is fully incorporated I usually add creole seasoning, a couple bay leaves, some fresh thyme, and salt & pepper to taste, as well as the gumbo crabs.

Gumbo crabs are smaller blue crabs that are really there more to soak and add sweetness as opposed to be eaten. You can buy them frozen at the supermarket. I also had a few soft shelled crabs that have been sitting in my freezer forever so I threw them in too. Over an hour or two all of their flavor comes out into the gumbo and I pull them out, except a few claws for decoration. You can eat the meat, but it's not quite as flavorful as, say, fresh boiled crabs.

Ok so after simmering for like 30-45 minutes I usually add 2/3 of the shrimp or so, along with the tasso chopped up and some Worcestershire sauce and whatever seasonings I need to adjust for flavoring. This gumbo is quite sweet from (a) the gumbo crabs, (b) the shrimp, (c) the lobster stock. Throw in a cup or so of chopped okra. Let it simmer another 30-45 minutes. When I'm about 10 minutes from wanting to serve it I throw in the lump crabmeat and the rest of the shrimp as well as the sliced green tops of the scallions.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 14, 2018

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Are there any good low carb recipes you guys can share? I'm doing a keto diet and basically can't have sugars, bread, starches, rice, and carbs in general.

Hello. Might I introduce you to the prophet Paul Prudhomme and his recipe for blackened fish? https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11612-paul-prudhommes-blackened-redfish

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I love seafood gumbo, but I love duck and sausage gumbo even more. I have this dream where I go duck hunting and wild boar hunting and make gumbo with the results. Who was that goon who would go out barefoot at night in his brother's rice field and kill boars with a spear and who would fly an RC airplane and shoot fireworks at his kids? I need to get with that guy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mushika posted:

I love seafood gumbo, but I love duck and sausage gumbo even more. I have this dream where I go duck hunting and wild boar hunting and make gumbo with the results. Who was that goon who would go out barefoot at night in his brother's rice field and kill boars with a spear and who would fly an RC airplane and shoot fireworks at his kids? I need to get with that guy.

Bushman

He's from Lafayette, LA iirc but I don't think he's posted on SA for a long time.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I have never seen a wild pig ever in south Louisiana. I've seen more wild alligator, deer, and turtles than anything else though. Are wild pig even a thing in LA?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

poemdexter posted:

I have never seen a wild pig ever in south Louisiana. I've seen more wild alligator, deer, and turtles than anything else though. Are wild pig even a thing in LA?

:stare:

Uhh yes. They're a problem for the rice farmers especially.

I've killed feral ones in Plaquemines and Lincoln parish in the 90s and the dude referenced above hunts them all around central LA iirc.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There was a goon in TFR who posted videos of him hunting hogs at night with a spear in Louisiana.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pigs all over the place.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I grew up an hour south of Lafayette and everything was swamp and cane fields. I don't even know where the rice fields are in LA!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

poemdexter posted:

I grew up an hour south of Lafayette and everything was swamp and cane fields. I don't even know where the rice fields are in LA!

:confused:

Pretty much all of the area below the I-10 belt that isn't growing pecans, oranges or sugarcane is growing combo rice / crawfish fields. It's like the #1 export crop of the state...

The big big plantations I know of are over in Calcasieu parish but they're everywhere.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

That Works posted:

:confused:

Pretty much all of the area below the I-10 belt that isn't growing pecans, oranges or sugarcane is growing combo rice / crawfish fields. It's like the #1 export crop of the state...

The big big plantations I know of are over in Calcasieu parish but they're everywhere.

I never saw crawfish fields until my parents moved to Breaux Bridge. I lived in Franklin which has a sugar mill so pretty much everything in a 25 mile radius was sugar cane. I didn't get out much.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

poemdexter posted:

I never saw crawfish fields until my parents moved to Breaux Bridge. I lived in Franklin which has a sugar mill so pretty much everything in a 25 mile radius was sugar cane. I didn't get out much.

Gotcha. Yeah there are rice fields around there not too far away once you get away from the giant swaths of sugarcane. You probably saw the fields when they were fallow now and then and might have not even realized what it was too? Generally they stay flooded so it just looks like a bigass catfish pond or something. Those crawfish fields were probably also growing rice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Had this tonight. Extremely good stuff, maybe the best I’ve tasted from a cardboard cylinder.

Very good hot sauces too.

http://periquepeppersauce.com

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Had this tonight. Extremely good stuff, maybe the best I’ve tasted from a cardboard cylinder.

so with that ingredient list, is the flavor like cajun-meets-jerk?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

eke out posted:

so with that ingredient list, is the flavor like cajun-meets-jerk?

Yep. That’s what they’re going for and it works very well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yep. That’s what they’re going for and it works very well.

yeah sounds like a solid combo - and a little more exciting than standard blackened seasoning for a piece of fish or something

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Interesting, I'll pick it up if I ever see a bottle of the sauce on the shelves here in Houston. I doubt I'll find the spice mixture, but I'll keep it in mind.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Neat. I kinda like having some pre-made dry rub around for lazy pork roasts etc. Might pick that up sometime if they ship.

The somewhat -jerk flavor might go well with some more bitter greens etc.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I just made it. I don't really use a particular recipe, but here's what I did last night.

2 celery ribs, chopped then run through the food processor until very finely diced (NOT pureed)
1 green bell pepper, same
1 large onion, same
8 cloves garlic, finely diced (I put those though a smaller processor because I'm lazy)
Chopped okra, frozen is fine
5-6 gumbo crabs
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
about 1/2 lb lump blue crab meat
about 1/4 lb tasso
a couple very fat green onions from my garden (about as thick as the diameter of a nickel), white parts mixed with the onions and green tops thinly sliced
2 quarts homemade lobster stock and 1 quart shrimp stock
Seasonings as below

Roux - 1 cup flour in 1 cup oil over high heat, stirring with a whisk constantly for about 15 minutes, then gradually lowering the heat every 5 minutes until it looked like this, about 20-25 minutes total (picture is from immediately after adding the onions)

Add the onions, and cook another 5-10 minutes at medium/low heat, stirring frequently. Add the celery, garlic, and pepper and cook for a while longer. I then added the stock which I had heated up.

Now, a couple roux tips. 1:1 flour to oil ratio will get you a thinner roux that will always be a thick liquid until you add the vegetables. If you go with more flour, you will get a roux that is more solid, kind of like wet sand.

Also, when you get your roux as dark as this it's going to want to break and separate when you add the stock. It looks like tiny little globs of roux floating in the stock. Don't worry--this doesn't mean it's ruined, but it's important to whisk it together gently, one ladleful at a time, so that it can come together.

A caveat, though--if you have burned the roux, then it will separate in a similar fashion, it'll never come together properly, and your gumbo will taste bitter. But if you've brought it to the color of chocolate, and not coffee grounds, you should be okay. If you are at all in doubt, START OVER. Oil and flour are cheap and plentiful. Crabmeat and shrimp are not.

Once the stock is fully incorporated I usually add creole seasoning, a couple bay leaves, some fresh thyme, and salt & pepper to taste, as well as the gumbo crabs.

Gumbo crabs are smaller blue crabs that are really there more to soak and add sweetness as opposed to be eaten. You can buy them frozen at the supermarket. I also had a few soft shelled crabs that have been sitting in my freezer forever so I threw them in too. Over an hour or two all of their flavor comes out into the gumbo and I pull them out, except a few claws for decoration. You can eat the meat, but it's not quite as flavorful as, say, fresh boiled crabs.

Ok so after simmering for like 30-45 minutes I usually add 2/3 of the shrimp or so, along with the tasso chopped up and some Worcestershire sauce and whatever seasonings I need to adjust for flavoring. This gumbo is quite sweet from (a) the gumbo crabs, (b) the shrimp, (c) the lobster stock. Throw in a cup or so of chopped okra. Let it simmer another 30-45 minutes. When I'm about 10 minutes from wanting to serve it I throw in the lump crabmeat and the rest of the shrimp as well as the sliced green tops of the scallions.

Thanks for this. That gumbo crab idea is a good one; I’ve been trying to figure out a way to add crab to my gumbo without blowing a ton of money on legs.

How do you keep the roux from burning when you add the vegetables? Also is there a particular kind of oil you recommend, or will vegetable oil work?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Thanks for this. That gumbo crab idea is a good one; I’ve been trying to figure out a way to add crab to my gumbo without blowing a ton of money on legs.

How do you keep the roux from burning when you add the vegetables? Also is there a particular kind of oil you recommend, or will vegetable oil work?

I use all kinds of fat base but most typically, and in this case, canola oil.

To keep things from burning I typically reduce the heat gradually in stages (it’s usually high at first, then medium when onions added, then medium low for the other vegetables).

No matter what, all roux will eventually burn, so you just need to keep an eye on it, stir it CONSTANTLY, and err on the safe side before you are confident getting it real dark.

Blue crab claw meat is a relatively inexpensive way to add crabmeat as well.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Made some chicken and shrimp gumbo last week:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Looks good to me!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
In all my years of both living in and repeatedly visiting Louisiana (specifically NO and BR), I’ve never had shrimp and grits. I’ve got a trip coming up soon, where’s good?

I did a quick google, and found a suggestion for Red Gravy just off Canal. I’ve been there before, but didn’t see it on the menu.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The_Doctor posted:

In all my years of both living in and repeatedly visiting Louisiana (specifically NO and BR), I’ve never had shrimp and grits. I’ve got a trip coming up soon, where’s good?

I did a quick google, and found a suggestion for Red Gravy just off Canal. I’ve been there before, but didn’t see it on the menu.

Elizabeth’s in the bywater.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

as far as I can tell, shrimp and grits only made its way onto menus in new orleans when restaurants realized they had all the ingredients already, and that tourists knew the dish's name but don't know that it's actually Low Country food

you can probably go to whatever respectable cajun/creole place that has it on the menu and it'll be fine, but an italian place in the CBD is probably not the best choice

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

eke out posted:

you can probably go to whatever respectable cajun/creole place that has it on the menu and it'll be fine, but an italian place in the CBD is probably not the best choice

Yeah, I was sceptical too. I just found it on a thread on another site dated a few years back. Everyone was jumping on to recommend it at Red Gravy, so I don’t know what to tell you. My meal I had there was ok, but nothing amazing.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Outside of Louisiana, the best shrimp n grits I've ever had was at a place called Shrimpy's in Tampa near Treasure Island.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Are you going for brunch, lunch, or dinner?

ulmont posted:

Elizabeth’s in the bywater.

I would agree with this 100% in general because Elizabeth's is awesome, but the online menu doesn't seem to have S&G for some reason. I could have sworn they make it.

The Ruby Slipper (local chain with a bunch of spots, but pretty good breakfast food).

Uptown, you have La Petite Grocery (fancier and pricier), Superior Seafood (on the St. Charles streetcar line, very good happy hour for drinks and raw oysters), Pascal's Manale (old line place).

Surrey's is pretty good too.

All of these places do brunch/lunch. LPG, Superior, and Pascal's Manale do dinner too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Honestly I never had shrimp and grits until I left Louisiana in 2000. It wasn't really much of a thing at least in the NO area.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The Ruby Slipper (local chain with a bunch of spots, but pretty good breakfast food).

Oh hey, that solves it. I went to the BR Ruby Slipper last time I was around and loved it there. Thanks!

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I don't think I encountered shrimp and grits in south Louisiana until ten-ish years ago. I think it's more of a southern thing rather than a Louisiana thing, though it has become a common brunch item. Personally, I can think of better things to do with both shrimp and grits.

e: I'd never even heard of Ruby Slipper and apparently I live like a block away from one. Is it worth checking out? There are quite a few good breakfast/brunch spots pretty close by that my wife and I usually go to, but we can actually walk to that one.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 23, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm not sure what if any places do it this way but: I highly recommend making "bbq" shrimp (like the Mr. B's/whatever other Brennan restaurant way) and pouring that over grits

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I really never understood why that's called BBQ shrimp, but whatever. It's delicious. I'll try that the next time I have shrimp and am craving grits.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mushika posted:

e: I'd never even heard of Ruby Slipper and apparently I live like a block away from one. Is it worth checking out? There are quite a few good breakfast/brunch spots pretty close by that my wife and I usually go to, but we can actually walk to that one.

Oh definitely. You can work your way through all their eggs benedict combinations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

eke out posted:

i'm not sure what if any places do it this way but: I highly recommend making "bbq" shrimp (like the Mr. B's/whatever other Brennan restaurant way) and pouring that over grits

Several of the places I listed call it "BBQ Shrimp & Grits" so I suspect that's exactly what they are doing--cooking shrimp in a shitload of butter and spices, then dumping it on grits.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I would agree with this 100% in general because Elizabeth's is awesome, but the online menu doesn't seem to have S&G for some reason. I could have sworn they make it.

It's on the brunch menu - http://www.elizabethsrestaurantnola.com/brunch/ - and looks like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Several of the places I listed call it "BBQ Shrimp & Grits" so I suspect that's exactly what they are doing--cooking shrimp in a shitload of butter and spices, then dumping it on grits.

I've had 4 different types of "shrimp and grits":

1. Shrimp with a brown broth or gravy over grits, like the picture. This is great.
2. BBQ shrimp (butter and spices) over grits. This is also great.
3. Tomato+sausage+vegetables (basically jambalaya) over grits. This I can't eat due to a tomato allergy, but I don't see why it would be bad.
4. Literal unseasoned boiled shrimp on top of unseasoned grits. This is awful.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 23, 2018