Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DJExile posted:

you wrote a thesis attacking a victim and wrote "O$U" unironically.

With literally nothing backing up other than it’s possible she could be bad.

Like the original reply was not nuanced so why should we be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
wow way to attack me on my character guys. here's why you should be skeptical of that mental nutcase courtney smith

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

But they are pretty similar. It's just a difference in scale/scope. Obviously Penn State was far, far worse, but at the core of the story is a head coach doing the bare minimum (if that) and looking the other way for years as a subordinate does horrible things... because football.

Nah, that's the thing. They're wildly and completely different scenarios, and not just because of scale. First of all, nothing about Zach Smith being employed or not employed by Ohio State gave any determination to whether or not he was capable of spousal abuse. Whether or not Sandusky was employed by Penn State has everything to do with whether or not he was (easily) capable of sexual abuse. Secondly, in the case of the Smiths, the police were aware, were called, questioned, investigated, and failed to arrest. Entirely different, to compare them is absurd.

quote:

Literally nobody is advocating for that.

You literally imply so in your first sentence of your post, accusing me of victim blaming when I suggest the mere possibility that their relationship was abusive and lovely both ways, full of alcohol and abuse and unhinged behavior from both parties, all of this backed up by her own mother, by the way.
[/quote]

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Nah, that's the thing. They're wildly and completely different scenarios, and not just because of scale. First of all, nothing about Zach Smith being employed or not employed by Ohio State gave any determination to whether or not he was capable of spousal abuse. Whether or not Sandusky was employed by Penn State has everything to do with whether or not he was (easily) capable of sexual abuse. Secondly, in the case of the Smiths, the police were aware, were called, questioned, investigated, and failed to arrest. Entirely different, to compare them is absurd.

You literally imply so in your first sentence of your post, accusing me of victim blaming when I suggest the mere possibility that their relationship was abusive and lovely both ways, full of alcohol and abuse and unhinged behavior from both parties, all of this backed up by her own mother, by the way.
[/quote]

What is your evidence it was abusive both ways.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
at least paterno was nice enough to die

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Very nuanced replies, guys, you really disproved my exact point with the tempered judgement of my character.

That nonsense you shat out doesn't deserve a nuanced reply

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
gently caress anyone who commits domestic violence and gently caress anyone who is an apologist for those who commit it.

I deal with this poo poo on an almost daily basis for work, and you HAVE to take every allegation seriously, and THEN investigate. Because otherwise you potentially perpetuate a dangerous situation.

Anyway, how bout them Tigers yall.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Very nuanced replies, guys, you really disproved my exact point with the tempered judgement of my character.

Not sure that the point of "tOSU is rear end" needs much nuance.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I thought that was just a simple copy-paste from a Rivals thread. But nope

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Does anyone here pay for The Athletic and do you like it?

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
The reason no arrests are made so often in domestic abuse situations is that the victim drops the charges or won't cooperate, for whatever reason, but quite a bit is because the abuser, whether directly or through third party influence, gets them to drop it. Many abusers can be emotionally manipulative as well. In those cases the police have nothing to go except the initial report, thus not enough evidence to make an arrest on their own. This is why it's so sad so many OSU fans are hanging their hat on the fact that no arrests were made, shows how much most people just don't understand domestic abuse cases.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

I got it whenever the last big sale was and like it so far. I got it mostly because they have a couple basketball writers I like a lot but the college football coverage is good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the abuser gets arrested then no more monetary support in terms of child or spousal support .

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was assuming that was a case of "source your quotes" but, :smith:

vyst posted:

Love it, especially if you follow other sports, everything I've read has been uniformly excellent. theathletic.com/solidverbal gets you $36 for the year

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've really liked Athletic's work so far as well.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Komet posted:

I thought that was just a simple copy-paste from a Rivals thread. But nope

:same:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

This is why it's so sad so many OSU fans are hanging their hat on the fact that no arrests were made, shows how much most people just don't understand domestic abuse cases.

Geez, there's tons of times where "well no one was arrested," but there was still something wrong, even without getting into domestic violence. Such a lousy metric to follow.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Has Courtney Smith apologized for her role in the incident yet?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Courtney Smith has mental and alcohol problems and was one half of an abusive, poo poo relationship. The amount of thoughtless stupidity in the reactions to this situation is a sign of the times we live in - a time of binary thinking with maximum penalties, all of which done with total certainty.

I've literally seen people comparing this scandal to Penn State and Joe Paterno, a conversation one could only begin if the Happy Valley PD were aware of and brought out to the scene to investigate for many allegations over several years.

The reason companies fire people for offensive social media posts or for breaking the law is the same - to protect their own reputation. That's what this all boils down to. They don't want a bad apple to be a reflection of their company, that's it. Has nothing to do with protecting someone, because Zach Smith's alleged abuse was not dependent on his employ at Ohio State. The best you can offer up is that because Zach Smith made money, Courtney Smith stuck it out longer to continue to be a part of that lifestyle, whereas if he didn't work there she'd have left?? Not sure why Meyer would need to apologize to her for anything (other than maybe a general "I'm sorry this happened to you," as opposed to "I'm sorry for my part in this.")

It's a good thing for the default position on domestic violence cases to be believe the victim at their word, ask questions later. And no, discussions of burden of proof should not amount to "Well, he said X, she said Y, unless she has video evidence we can't just take her word!" But the idea that any alleged domestic violence victim is some holy protected class to *never* be questioned is almost as bad.

But nah lets just say OSU is a shitsucking lowlife program, despite the fact just seven years ago they fired a ~top 3 coach in the country for covering up fuckin free tattoos, and Urban definitely knew his assistant coach was beating his wife but didn't care because he's a villain coach from a kids sports movie, and poor Courtney whose own mother has been flipped by O$U, obviously getting paid off, as we know because domestic violence allegations are so sacred that to embellish them is against the limitations of the universe.

I don't even really like Urban Meyer. I just think some responses to some parts of this story have been way way over the top.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

*starts a slow clap*

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Stephen Hayes Smith

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

Has Courtney Smith apologized for her role in the incident yet?

lol, goddamnit you just know this is coming

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I really wanted to know why he was so sure they abused each other.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

vyst posted:

I picked it up at the student rate using my wife's credentials.

I really like it so far.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think you know why in your heart

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MyStereoHasMono posted:

:laffo:

Check out this loving knucklehead.

Victims are victims are victims. You don’t have to be a perfect person to be a victim. Goddamn. Stop w the character assassination just bc it threatens the prosperity of your footbaw team, it makes you look like a total ghoul.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Thoguh posted:

Is there anything I need to know about Michigan other than Harbaugh being weird? I'm not going to jump on the Michigan train or anything but with Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan State all being recently proven to be terrible institutions I'm willing to passively be okay with them winning the East unless informed otherwise.

Hey, everything that's already been said, plus two other things:

- The first and only criminal sexual incident of Jim Harbaugh's time at Michigan was Logan Tuley-Tillman filming a girl that he was having sex with without her consent. He got kicked off the team the next day after charges were filed. Nothing like that has happened at Michigan since.

- Brenda Tracy is Michigan's honorary captain for the home opener against Western Michigan, she will be honored during the game and will be speaking with all of the athletes at Crisler Arena while she is here.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Allow me to try... Ahem.

"Real Men Don't Hit Women. Therefore either she's a Lying Harpy and possibly a slut, or she struck first - probably on her period or something - and he only acted in self-defense to end the threat she posed to himself and others. Really, he's the hero in all this."

OK, I went too far down that rabbit hole and need a shower.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AsInHowe posted:

Hey, everything that's already been said, plus two other things:

- The first and only criminal sexual incident of Jim Harbaugh's time at Michigan was Logan Tuley-Tillman filming a girl that he was having sex with without her consent. He got kicked off the team the next day after charges were filed. Nothing like that has happened at Michigan since.

- Brenda Tracy is Michigan's honorary captain for the home opener against Western Michigan, she will be honored during the game and will be speaking with all of the athletes at Crisler Arena while she is here.

hey who was his first d coordinator at Michigan what is that guy up to

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

Urbs will fake his death to "spend more time with his family", then get hired as the coach of Notre Dame three years later

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

hey who was his first d coordinator at Michigan what is that guy up to

Wherever he went, he isn't at Michigan, and he's probably pretty suspicious for leaving right before the 2015 Ohio State game and leaving everyone out to dry. Probably not the best guy, for leaving Harbaugh like that.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

DC Murderverse posted:

Urbs will fake his death to "spend more time with his family", then get hired as the coach of Notre Dame three years later

Urban ending his coaching career at Notre Dame feels disgusting, so it must be meant to be.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

JGdmn posted:

Urban ending his coaching career at Notre Dame feels disgusting, so it must be meant to be.

Think of the crimes he could commit at a private school, with even less accountability.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MyStereoHasMono posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the anti-OSU tard brigade strikes again

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Picture him with a hat that has a leprechaun on it. Just gross.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AsInHowe posted:

Wherever he went, he isn't at Michigan, and he's probably pretty suspicious for leaving right before the 2015 Ohio State game and leaving everyone out to dry. Probably not the best guy, for leaving Harbaugh like that.

I'm sure he only became a jerk recently, the guy who thinks chicken is for pussies would never tolerate any outdated macho bullshit in his programs. Let's check in with what his former Michigan players think of him

Jabrill Peppers posted:

His tactics were different. It felt extreme at times...The way I would describe it: kind of like bully coaching

oh huh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

DC Murderverse posted:

There’s no way he’d fake being a family man for three whole years. He was on the road immediately for like 200 days with ESPN then accepted the OSU job.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

MourningView posted:

edit: amazingly the OSU websites I read had some actual responses against the blatant homerism which was refreshing. Don't get me wrong, still plenty of homerism, but at least some semblance of not being gigantic assholes to the very bottom.

downout fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 24, 2018

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

I'm sure he only became a jerk recently, the guy who thinks chicken is for pussies would never tolerate any outdated macho bullshit in his programs. Let's check in with what his former Michigan players think of him

The chicken thing was a weird dad coach joke.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I dunno what’s worse, the Ohio State homers or the Michigan dudes using this as an opportunity to pump up their program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fluffdaddy posted:

I dunno what’s worse, the Ohio State homers or the Michigan dudes using this as an opportunity to pump up their program

Look, AsinHowe knows that you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

• Locked thread