Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Um excuse me those dishes have elements that originated in other countries so it proves my point there there is no such thing as american food except for hotdogs and hamburgers checkmate you obese uncultured pig furthermore

uber_stoat posted:

lol. the GBS bad pizza thread is packed to bursting with hideous Italian pizzas.

No no no only America is bad, only America is bad! Reeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

chitoryu12 posted:

Does that mean in your mind Canadian food is canned fish and hunted moose with snow as a garnish?

I mean we do pour maple syrup into snow and then eat it frozen so yes.

Also it's canned beaver.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Hot dish and funeral potatoes are both completely delightful casseroles. Big old carbs and fat and sodium splurges. Fun.

Johnnycakes are the greatest US food, fite me IRL.

Greatest Canadian foods are poutine, smoked meat, and Nanaimo bars. Not all mixed together, though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Also it's canned beaver.

Is that a thing you guys actually regularly do, and not just some touristy gimmick?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

uber_stoat posted:

lol. the GBS bad pizza thread is packed to bursting with hideous Italian pizzas.
:justpost:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Is that a thing you guys actually regularly do, and not just some touristy gimmick?

It's pretty common everywhere they have maple sugaring. My elementary school in Massachusetts did it every year as a class trip.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's pretty common everywhere they have maple sugaring. My elementary school in Massachusetts did it every year as a class trip.

yeah thats like just a thing you do in MN too i mean its mainly for kids but its a thing

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Americans eating "Italian" food: deep dish pizza, spaghetti and meatballs

Americans eating "Japanese" food: california rolls, teriyaki chicken

Americans eating "Chinese" food: general tso's chicken

Americans eating "Mexican" food: burritos, chilli

Americans eating at "American" diners: burgers, fried chicken/wings, pizza

Also Americans: don't you dare talk about "American" food unless you're including Midwest casseroles, creole barbeque and authentic New England chowder

Also also Americans: but our pizza and burgers are the best in the world don't forget that either

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Aug 23, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Laura Ingalls describes "sugaring snow" in one of the her "Little House" books. I thought it sounded so cool when I read all those as a kid. Inflating a recently slaughtered pig's bladder and playing catch with it like some prairie beach ball --- not so much.

Just remembered : In that chapter where Pa shoots a wild pig and they roast it, she and her sisters squabble over who get to eat the pig's tail. I recall being somewhat repulsed, but also intrigued because of the way she described how it was the best part, all sizzling and fatty. Now I'd try that in a heartbeat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bike tory posted:

Americans eating "Italian" food: deep dish pizza, spaghetti and meatballs

Americans eating "Japanese" food: california rolls, teriyaki chicken

Americans eating "Chinese" food: general tso's chicken

Americans eating "Mexican" food: burritos, chilli

Americans eating at "American" diners: burgers, fried chicken/wings, pizza

Also Americans: don't you dare talk about "American" food unless you're including Midwest casseroles, creole barbeque and authentic New England chowder

Also also Americans: but our pizza and burgers are the best in the world don't forget that either

These are nuclear takes. If you're going to be this pigheaded, at least know what the gently caress you're talking about first.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'll have you know I've studied American culture extensively and I consider myself an expert on American cuisine. And I don't just eat at high end American restaurants like TGI Fridays or Chilli's, I think your street food culture is great too - I particularly like big macs and KFC.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bike tory posted:

I'll have you know I've studied American culture extensively and I consider myself an expert on American cuisine. And I don't just eat at high end American restaurants like TGI Fridays or Chilli's, I think your street food culture is great too - I particularly like big macs and KFC.

thats like a get out level 4

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bike tory posted:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I suggest though

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Just remembered : In that chapter where Pa shoots a wild pig and they roast it, she and her sisters squabble over who get to eat the pig's tail. I recall being somewhat repulsed, but also intrigued because of the way she described how it was the best part, all sizzling and fatty. Now I'd try that in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure about pig's tail, but the pope's nose is the best part of a roast chicken, and apparently quite popular on turkeys.

quote:

Turkey tail or turkey butt has an international exportation market in places such as Micronesia, Samoa, and Ghana. The turkey tail is commonly exported from America because it is considered unhealthy and cut off of the normal turkey.[6] After World War II, cheap imported turkey tails became popular in Samoa. Because the cut is so fatty, to combat obesity it was banned from 2007 to 2013, only allowed back when Samoa joined the World Trade Organization. The meat is otherwise used in pet food.[7]

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ew, apparently it's full of turkey preening oil gland? Which is supposed to be delicious, but sounds so... my mouth makes a wrong shape when I imagine it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

darthbob88 posted:

I'm not sure about pig's tail, but the pope's nose is the best part of a roast chicken, and apparently quite popular on turkeys.

Wow, that really cool to learn, thanks! I only just learned the term "pope's nose" recently while pulling whole bbq chicken with my boss. We scarf down the oysters and the pope noses as we pull, it's our way of tipping ourselves for doing the work. She actually lamented the fact that you cant just get whole buckets of oysters or noses since it's the best part of a bird. I'll probably make her weep when I tell her turkey tails go into dog food.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Data Graham posted:

Between that and the steak tartare getting mushed up under the saddle you ought to have been able to smell a Mongol raiding party coming from miles off

I know I'm late but having recently been to Mongolia you absolutely would, regardless of how much meat and/or dairy products they were not carrying around under their saddles. They do most of their cooking over dried cow dung because there aren't any trees so everything has an old milk/burnt cow poo poo smell all the time.

Also I'm shocked real Mongolian bbq/boodog didn't make it to America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPGq9YNZ6TU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

uber_stoat posted:

Most of the "bad Italian pizzas" look infinitely better than the crap pizzas goons salivate over, lol.

No no no only America is bad, only America is bad! Reeeeeeeee

This is correct.

lol, food nationalism is the saddest form of nationalism

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I suggest though

I do live in Japan...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Most of the "bad Italian pizzas" look infinitely better than the crap pizzas goons salivate over, lol.

This is correct.

lol, food nationalism is the saddest form of nationalism

"Food nationalism is bad" says the guy actively engaging in food nationalism. :thunk:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

"Food nationalism is bad" says the guy actively engaging in food nationalism. :thunk:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
nationalism is the saddest kind of nationalism. food nationalism is just a fun way to mess with people on the internet.

begone accursed Swede.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

talking poo poo about american cuisine isn't nationalism

defending big macs is

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Any sort of assumed inherent superiority or inherent inferiority of any culture is nationalism, I'm sorry.

If you want to talk about the failings of multinational capitalism and consumer culture you can do it without being nationalist or reductionist.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

defending big macs is

Saying american cuisine isn't just big macs isn't nationalism

You're very stupid and have very bad opinions.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
food is a goddamn gift regardless of the culture it originated.

i will appropriate all your poo poo thanks for listening.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Saying american cuisine isn't just big macs isn't nationalism

You're very stupid and have very bad opinions.

I'm sorry about your big macs

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Any sort of assumed inherent superiority or inherent inferiority of any culture is nationalism, I'm sorry.

If you want to talk about the failings of multinational capitalism and consumer culture you can do it without being nationalist or reductionist.

If mocking America is a signifier of national identity, i guess 90% of the world is united under one cosmopolitan nationality - I guess the world is a better place than I thought.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Let's settle down with some properly American food now.

Mostly posting for Frank-Custard Tarts and Frank-Cheese Burgers.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

If you think about it, Buffalo wings are 100% American.

E: those roll ups/ pigs in blankets are just sadly pale looking, and that whole list looks like school lunch offerings.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Picnic Princess posted:

Also it's canned beaver.

Beaver is fish, the pope said so.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've never been to italy but I assume the existence of strict pizza laws would give you a better minimum standard pizza but would lead to a lack of creativity.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Chiming in to say nationalism chat in the food thread is over for now.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brawnfire posted:

All I know is tater tots are loving amazing

I recently saw a thing that repulsed and attracted me in equal regards. Nachos with tater tots instead of tortilla chips: totchos.

The recipe I saw had a bowl that was about that big and said "12 servings" as if you're not going to make that all for yourself and just eat it like a animal.

Also, I was chatting about nachos in another thread, and I mentioned that I use Doritos as a base to make them. You do a layer of Doritos, then a layer of mince beef that you've fried up with onions, garlic, cumin and refried beans, then some salsa, then cheese. Then you do a repeat of that, put it in the oven to cook and enjoy with guac and sour cream on the side.

Apparently that's loving heresy to Americans, and would be considered racist along the lines of only serving fried chicken and watermelon if you had an African-American guest over to your house.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I've never been to italy but I assume the existence of strict pizza laws would give you a better minimum standard pizza but would lead to a lack of creativity.

That's not an actual thing is it? Google suggests that they considered some sort of legal definition for a Neapolitan pizza but nothing more

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Memento posted:

I recently saw a thing that repulsed and attracted me in equal regards. Nachos with tater tots instead of tortilla chips: totchos.

The recipe I saw had a bowl that was about that big and said "12 servings" as if you're not going to make that all for yourself and just eat it like a animal.

Totchos are great, but LOL at 12 servings. I end up full of carbs and shame every Super Bowl.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There's a place near me that's got a bunch of different kind of tot-things. They all look terrible but they are pretty drat good.

Rueben Tots

Jamby Tots

Breakfast Tots

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's a place near me that does Irish nachos, which are similar to totchos but use waffle-cut fries instead of tater tots. It works way better since the fries can hold on to the toppings more easily.

Plinkey posted:

They all look terrible but they are pretty drat good.
To be fair, it's hard to make fried potatoes+toppings that complement savory food go wrong.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

To be fair, it's hard to make fried potatoes+toppings that complement savory food go wrong.

And a shitload of cheese on most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I saw a guy make velveeta and oreo poutine in a lab with a hotplate in college once. That's all.