Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Some Numbers posted:

Don't listen to Charlesthehammer, Trails 3rd is arguably the best Trails game currently in English. It's a fantastic epilogue and gives you a real ending and sendoff for the Liberl crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cold Steel 2>Sky 2>Cold Steel 1=Sky 3>>>Sky 1

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’ve always wondered where the idea it gives you and ending comes from. They say goodbye I guess but it’s not like the character stories are over or anything. Honestly after hearing so much hype about I just expected more, so I was really let down with what we got. I don’t dislike the game but man was I let down.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 24, 2018

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Why does bringing closure to the arc mean that you have to never see those characters again?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve always wondered where the idea it gives you and ending comes from. They say goodbye I guess but it’s not like the character stories are over or anything. Honestly after hearing so much hype about I just expected more, so I was really let down with what we got. I don’t dislike the game but man was I let down.

Well, it does help that most of them popped in from different parts of the country, and some people from outside the country. That's a big part of it. The main characters are likely not going back to Liberl anytime soon, either.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's pretty amazing how much detail gets put into this series. There's even backstory for that pair of gloves Rean and Alisa are wearing in their Cold Steel 1 summer uniforms.

tl;dr: Alisa gave Rean one of the gloves as a token of gratitude after the Chapter 3 field study.
Wow, that's honestly really cool.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's a way more complete ending than Sky SC had. It's a proper epilogue, showing off what happened to all the characters after the Liber Ark sank and wraps up all the storylines that took place in Liberl.

Of course no one's story is over yet, most of them are under 30.

Also I'm a bit confused. You were disappointed by the lack of a "true ending" since the characters' stories continue, but you were also let down by the additional lore that opened the door to more stories in the future?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cyouni posted:

Well, it does help that most of them popped in from different parts of the country, and some people from outside the country. That's a big part of it. The main characters are likely not going back to Liberl anytime soon, either.

Yeah, that's way too much poo poo going down in Crossbell and we haven't seen Calvard or Remiferia yet (technically)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

... I'm in the final dungeon of Sky SC... and I'M STILL FINDING NEW CHEST MESSAGES

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

iospace posted:

... I'm in the final dungeon of Sky SC... and I'M STILL FINDING NEW CHEST MESSAGES

There's even more in 3rd.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So many more.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tangential, the final dungeon gives me serious Halo vibes, in a good way. The layout of everything reminds me of the single player camp on that. Very well done atmosphere.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The main Liber Ark theme is one of my favorite tracks from SC.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, that's honestly really cool.

It's a way more complete ending than Sky SC had. It's a proper epilogue, showing off what happened to all the characters after the Liber Ark sank and wraps up all the storylines that took place in Liberl.

Of course no one's story is over yet, most of them are under 30.

Also I'm a bit confused. You were disappointed by the lack of a "true ending" since the characters' stories continue, but you were also let down by the additional lore that opened the door to more stories in the future?

I was let down by how little it closes things,it makes sense with what I know about how trails operates now but the sky series was my first time with the series and at the time I knew little about it.

I also was let down more by the fact I only really found half the doors interesting. So many were so boring and that made me sad.

Though some were cool and I’m glad we still got more stories with some characters even if I may prefer if the trilogy was completely independent with the other games only really referencing the others.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Some Numbers posted:

There's even more [chest messages] in 3rd.

Oh man, just you reminding me of that makes me want to play through it again. I don't know that I've ever seen a publisher inject even more emotion into a game like that before.

Trails in the Sky jolted to life my long-dead like of JRPGs. I hadn't really enjoyed one since PS2 era; and out of no where comes TitS on my Stream suggestions, and it becomes my absolute favorite series of genre. I'm not trying to be tribal about it, but I'm playing Persona 5 right now and it's just not hitting that same nerve. It's got production value out the wazoo, some amazing art and music. But story wise and dialogue wise, so far it's not really close. Same with the Tails of series, I just don't feel impelled to keep playing them after a few hours.

I give CS a hard time, because I don't think it really competes with Sky, but on the gamut of JRPGs I've played, it's still right near the very top.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1033537160509415424

might get announced at TGS

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I wonder where Adol will find himself shipwrecked this time!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress Loewe.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No really, gently caress him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

pro-tip he's weak to debuffs, which means that's right, it's Josette's time to shine

(ok kloe instead)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kloe is almost always in my party, for what it's worth

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

iospace posted:

Kloe is almost always in my party, for what it's worth

that is good.

anyway, use her strength/defense debuff on him, have someone clock-down him, and clock-up the entire party and suddenly things get a lot easier.

there is also path of earth wall spam

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cake Attack posted:

that is good.

anyway, use her strength/defense debuff on him, have someone clock-down him, and clock-up the entire party and suddenly things get a lot easier.

there is also path of earth wall spam

My biggest annoyance with him is he almost always opens up with an s-break.

And "oh I'm so powerful" and still summons two adds that aren't clones.

e: beat him, finally.

iospace fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 26, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm playing Trails of Azure, and they really thought this series through, huh? It's mentioning details from the Cold Steel series that don't come up until Cold Steel 2 (and like relatively specific details, not big picture stuff).

edit: Well, may have been late CS1, can't remember

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 26, 2018

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm playing Trails of Azure, and they really thought this series through, huh? It's mentioning details from the Cold Steel series that don't come up until Cold Steel 2 (and like relatively specific details, not big picture stuff).

edit: Well, may have been late CS1, can't remember

It probably helped they had most of the Erebonia scenario plotted out before they even decided to do the Crossbell games (at least, I'm pretty sure I've heard that before.)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

iospace posted:

And "oh I'm so powerful" and still summons two adds that aren't clones.

At least he's not Walter.

"TIME FOR A REAL DEATH MATCH*!" (* where I have help from robots)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

At least he's not Walter.

"TIME FOR A REAL DEATH MATCH*!" (* where I have help from robots)

Would you prefer they make you one on one him with Zin.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Huh, wonder what they mean about "directly following up" --- that story sure looks pretty wrapped up.
Maybe wherever he was actually trying to go in the first place? (Anyone recall what it is? They mentioned
Altago a bunch, but that's just Ys Seven..)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

OddObserver posted:

Huh, wonder what they mean about "directly following up" --- that story sure looks pretty wrapped up.
Maybe wherever he was actually trying to go in the first place? (Anyone recall what it is? They mentioned
Altago a bunch, but that's just Ys Seven..)

They were trying to go to Altago yeah. There was a lot of talk about the Romun Empire gunning for Adol so maybe it'll be there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Wow, I am continually impressed at how well these games set things up, so that something in one game can have tremendously greater context with information from other games. In this case, the event is in Cold Steel 1, with context from Trails in the Sky SC and Cold Steel 2's NG+. Spoiler-tagged to not give anything away for those who haven't played/seen Cold Steel 2's NG+ yet.

In Chapter 4 of Cold Steel 1, when walking around the dorms, Rean can talk with Sara and she mentions that Instructor Thomas drank a lot, but seemed to be completely unaffected by the booze. Just one of his strange character traits. Probably goes with his habit of eating awful cooking.

But there was something in Trails in the Sky SC... the quest "Diaset's Secret" reveals that the Church of Aidios knows of a medicine which blocks the effect of alcohol. (Cold Steel 2 NG+) As a member of the church, Thomas could easily know about the existence of that medicine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kondo gave a interview on Cold Steel 4 and I'll just share the non-spoiler bits.

-“There are some characters yet to be introduced in order to avoid spoilers.”

If you've been following Cold Steel 4 news, that's a hosed up statement because jesus christ.

-“This time there’s a part where you’ll split up into multiple parties to take on. An unexpected character will also show up with Order Command.”

The roster is almost as big as Suikoden games in playable characters at this point.

-"Since it revolves around a story surrounding the Empire, unfortunately there are some characters that won’t make an appearance.”

-“However, those characters will have a place we’ve prepared for them in the next Trails series, so please look forward to that next series.”

Also an absurd statement considering anyone following Cold Steel 4 news.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Tae posted:

Kondo gave a interview on Cold Steel 4 and I'll just share the non-spoiler bits.

If you've been following Cold Steel 4 news, that's a hosed up statement because jesus christ.

-“This time there’s a part where you’ll split up into multiple parties to take on. An unexpected character will also show up with Order Command.”

The roster is almost as big as Suikoden games in playable characters at this point.

-"Since it revolves around a story surrounding the Empire, unfortunately there are some characters that won’t make an appearance.”

-“However, those characters will have a place we’ve prepared for them in the next Trails series, so please look forward to that next series.”

Also an absurd statement considering anyone following Cold Steel 4 news.

I'd be guessing that last statement is dealing with Sky characters who are from calverd but I haven't been spoiling myself on 3 and 4 so who knows.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

If my interpretation of this is correct, it's almost a spoiler in and of itself.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Wow, I am continually impressed at how well these games set things up, so that something in one game can have tremendously greater context with information from other games. In this case, the event is in Cold Steel 1, with context from Trails in the Sky SC and Cold Steel 2's NG+. Spoiler-tagged to not give anything away for those who haven't played/seen Cold Steel 2's NG+ yet.

In Chapter 4 of Cold Steel 1, when walking around the dorms, Rean can talk with Sara and she mentions that Instructor Thomas drank a lot, but seemed to be completely unaffected by the booze. Just one of his strange character traits. Probably goes with his habit of eating awful cooking.

But there was something in Trails in the Sky SC... the quest "Diaset's Secret" reveals that the Church of Aidios knows of a medicine which blocks the effect of alcohol. (Cold Steel 2 NG+) As a member of the church, Thomas could easily know about the existence of that medicine.

Well, there's that but then again, he might have been similar to Aina. Unless… OMFG, Aina is a Dominion!!!

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Finally done with Azure and while the ending itself wasn't mind-blowing that was only because everything leading to it basically answered all of the arc's biggest mysteries so all you were doing was cleaning things up and saving KeA. It was on par with the rest of the series if you take it all into account.

The very last part of the ending sequence was hilariously spoilery though. Since I played CS1 beforehand, I seriously thought Osborne was dead but it sure doesn't look like it, not to mention it says straight up the Noble Faction doesn't win but that was fairly obvious considering they have the support of Ouroboros.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
After taking my time and losing stamina for a few months I'm now headed towards the end of Sky 3rd. Just finished all Moon, Star, and Sun doors today.
I thought people said this game took less time to beat than FC and SC but if my save file is over 60 hours already which is about how long it took me to beat SC.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Probably depends how much time you spent talking to NPC's and stuff in the previous games. For FC and 3rd I had similar playtimes, but SC was much longer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Erpy posted:

Well, there's that but then again, he might have been similar to Aina. Unless… OMFG, Aina is a Dominion!!!

Aina is the Grandmaster.

edit: The Phantasmal Flame plan is just some convoluted scheme to create infinite alcohol.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'd believe it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Aina is the Grandmaster.

Oh come on, we all know it's Dorothy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
As an aside, can I vote to change the Phantasmal Blaze plan to the Spicy Ghost plan, sounds much more ominous that way.