Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Isekai Sisters
You like plums deary? Have ALL the plums you want! ah ha ha ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
And yet another Isekai Sisters

The bits and pieces of the magical world we see the sisters in is kinda fun and so far decent. It's a very simplistic isekai setting that's no different from a lot in the genre, but at least this is an easy and pleasant read.

Edit: why did I type overdone

Compendium fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 21, 2018

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The isekai elements are subdued enough that it feels like I'm reading a slice of life version of Nobunaga's Chef, and I'm enjoying it a lot! It's also reminiscent of Samenai Machi no Kissaten (speaking of which, I wonder how the translation status of that is going.) There's something cathartic about people eating food and enjoying it without any worries. I also have to say we are getting spoiled with this translation pace, kudos to the scanlators and their hard work.

Unrelated, I found this cool comparison of an animated ramen cooking scene (from Flavors of Youth, if the twitter account name doesn't give it away) and the real life counterpart:
https://twitter.com/flavorsofyouth/status/1029104868844359680

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
hey, I wrote a long-rear end moyashimon fanfic in case any of y'all are interested.

Can Of Worms posted:

Unrelated, I found this cool comparison of an animated ramen cooking scene (from Flavors of Youth, if the twitter account name doesn't give it away) and the real life counterpart:
https://twitter.com/flavorsofyouth/status/1029104868844359680

god, gloopy anime water is so fuckin good

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

I also have to say we are getting spoiled with this translation pace, kudos to the scanlators and their hard work.

speaking of, new Isekai Sisters
Yeah, the head of the Guard said not to drink alone at night, but what could possibly happen.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
They're almost caught up to the raws, I'm afraid of being in a food manga drought

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

its been a while, new Nobunaga's Chef

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The train don't stop with more Isekai Sisters

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That spread with the spirit fish is absolutely gorgeous.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The train don't stop with more Isekai Sisters

Wont stop more Isekai Sisters
:woof: :petdog: :woof:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a dark side of onee-san is revealed. if she rarely leaves her house, who walks the dog????

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Isekai Sisters
:dogcited:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Maybe it's time to make a thread for all the daily updated food manga?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
As I mentioned before, Isekai Sisters is almost caught up with the raws so we'll have a quiet period soon. Most of the food manga here isn't updated that frequently and if it is, it happens in bursts.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fair enough, it's not as if this thread is fast-moving anyway - it's just that I got a bit peeved with seeing bumps for something that could be done via RSS on any reasonable reader.
But then I got over it since it's not like it matters all that much.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Do you read food manga and if so, what's your favorites

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Strangely enough, even though I knew that a lot of Dragonball characters are named after food, I never put 2 and 2 together and looked up what Tenshinhan actually was. Now I want to make some at some point because it sounds pretty darn delicious!

Also surprise there's another Isekai Sisters chapter

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Compendium posted:

The trouble with this question for me is that I generally don't read manga until it's completed, so all the series that aren't finished translating are ones that I've only had a metaphorical taste-test of, by reading the first few chapters to determine if it's something I think I'll like (almost 20 years of reading manga does help a little in this regard, though if something gets recommended in the threads I follow here on SA, I do tend to add it to my lists too).

So the only ones which immediately stand out as having involved food and which I've enjoyed are Poor Poor Lips and Hachimitsu to Clover, as well as Udon no Onna.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori, a manga about four friends who run a small relaxing teahouse together that also had a quite good anime earlier in the year is getting scanned
https://mangadex.org/title/29891/rokuhoudou-yotsuiro-biyori

The group has them on their website and on mangadex (on a delay)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I didn't know Mike Callahan moved from fictional Long Island to a fictional long island.
Seems right up my alley, though.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Two more chapters of Isekai Sisters, reminding us that there's supposed to a story and not just cooking. Personally, I'd like more food chapters (along with Levain and dog!)

There's also a new Misoshiro chapter and two new Koizumi Ramen chapters. (Misoshiro spoilers) The teacher getting flustered at the end is great.

Speaking of Koizumi, a lot of all-you-can-eat sushi restaurants offer full meal dishes (donburi, ramen.) Does anyone ever order those (aside from people who don't want sushi)? It always seems like a lot of food for a buffet. I've always been tempted to try one, but sushi buffets are usually low quality so I don't really want to order a whole bowl and find out it tastes terrible.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot this thread existed but in case anyone hasn't been following the releases the latest volume of What Did You Eat Yesterday? came out last month so there are thirteen whole volumes of gay food goodness to read and it's still ongoing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Compendium posted:

Cooking Papa was the first manga of any genre that I read and it's still one of my favourites even if the recipes are pretty bad.

I'm a big fan for the miso soup kids romance that's ongoing at the moment as well.

Ugh, I always read these things on my tablet and I can't remember what they're called. I'd definitely post a lot more if I took a moment to remember all the names...

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I only read one Cooking Papa chapter and the recipe was "cover a chicken with margarine and then roast it" and it put me off reading the rest of the series

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah I wouldn't recommend following any of the recipes. I think there was a bad translation for one of them where they advise you to cook something at 300C!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Nothing *inherently* wrong with covering a chicken with margarine. It is emulsified vegetable oils, after all, and rubbing the outside of poultry with oil is a great way to get crispy brown skin.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

new Isekai Izakaya Nobu
a spooky chapter full of dark nights, witches, and pudding!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Great chapter. Looks like Shinobu didn't learn from her escapades with bacon... Taishou's reaction was fuuny. Fun guest this time as well, I enjoy "acts foolish but is secretly wise" archetypes.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

a new series, Convenient Store Lady, a high school girl from a well to do family is too worried about being seen in a lowly convenient store but is enticed by the allure of tasty treats. With her "ill-gotten" gains, she transforms simple eats into delicious meals.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think that as the Nobu anime continues on, I am really not liking how they keep rewriting plot beats.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I tried watching the Nobu anime, but the animation and pacing irks me. Even with Restaurant from Another World, while not amazing in animation either, it knew what kind of mood and atmosphere to provoke.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It has the stink of executive meddling about it. I feel like it has to do with that Beyond 2020 thing that's stapled onto the end credits.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Thank you, thread, for reminding me about Dungeon Meshi.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Compendium posted:

I tried watching the Nobu anime, but the animation and pacing irks me. Even with Restaurant from Another World, while not amazing in animation either, it knew what kind of mood and atmosphere to provoke.
Nobu’s animation felt super cheap to me, not helped by them doing the well intentioned recipe demonstrations which take up time away from the thing i came to see.
I don’t know if the manga changed up designs from the light novel, but i swear everyone looks way worse in the anime too.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

From what I can tell the designs in the manga are the same as the light novel, and the anime is matching the manga 1:1 on the designs. The main problem is that the manga uses a realistic style while the anime is going for a more generic style. This works for characters like Eva who is already closer the normal anime style but it falls apart on the characters that have unusual facial details like Gernot:

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Can Of Worms posted:

From what I can tell the designs in the manga are the same as the light novel, and the anime is matching the manga 1:1 on the designs. The main problem is that the manga uses a realistic style while the anime is going for a more generic style. This works for characters like Eva who is already closer the normal anime style but it falls apart on the characters that have unusual facial details like Gernot:

yeah this is what exactly what i mean. there's also Helmina who's eyes i swear got completely changed from manga to anime.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
no need to swear, it's true.

So at least we know what happened to Satoru Akahori after he finished with Saber Marionette.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I feel like I'm looking at an early 2000s era anime.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
the more I stare at that one frame, the more I feel like I'm looking at my own lovely attempts to draw in an anime style, back in junior high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Like, the concept and world of Izakaya Nobu is pretty generic, but the manga does a good job at elevating that material by having the very nice art of both characters and the food.